PDA

View Full Version : security levels

ikenstein
3rd Sep 2008, 19:15
in dx 1 there was a bunch of different security levels, like angel0a for unatco and mj12. i think it would be good if these were included and improved on in dx3. like if you get a higher security clearence in a faction you can get into their server room or armory or whatever. the stats could improve when you do stuff for that faction but get worse if you work against them or they catch you picking a lock or something.

foxberg
3rd Sep 2008, 19:50
in dx 1 there was a bunch of different security levels, like angel0a for unatco and mj12. i think it would be good if these were included and improved on in dx3. like if you get a higher security clearance in a faction you can get into their server room or armory or whatever.

This would be a good thing to implement.

the stats could improve when you do stuff for that faction but get worse if you work against them or they catch you picking a lock or something.

This sounds like a DX3/SC Double Agent hybrid. I personally do not like this idea.

Jerion
3rd Sep 2008, 21:05
I like the idea that if you move up in status within various organizations, they will tell you certain passcodes and bits of information that you wouldn't otherwise have, and you hold a bit more sway with those of a lower clearance than you within that organization. I remember wishing that there was a more depth and a more clearly defined hierarchy within the various groups in DX1; it was pretty much simplified down to "as long as you get on good with the boss, everybody treats you like the company CEO". I would like to have been challenged by some Luminous Path members that didn't trust my reasons for seeing Tong, and having to deflect the suspicions of various red arrow members for wanting to see Max Chen. Same goes for the scientists at X-51; just because I landed in a black helicopter, took out a small MJ12 task force by myself, and risked life and limb to save a hostage, doesn't mean that every single one of the scientists should start trusting me implicitly.

jcp28
11th Sep 2008, 23:11
Bumping this, because I think that security levels implemented in the bases of various factions could help add an extra layer of challenge and make the world feel more real.

After all, if everybody in a faction all sound like yes-men, you just have to wonder what is going on.

However, those MiBs in VersaLife do say they'll make a log of your unauthorized visit. Such moments felt few and far between for me.

minus0ne
12th Sep 2008, 01:38
Clearance levels, yes. Invisible War Faction system, NEVER.

Sean D
10th May 2009, 23:18
Speaking of clearance levels, could we just discuss the main characters clearance in DX1?

According to the logs, the UN use nine clearance levels more hardass than "top secret":
Angel/0A
Archangel/1B
Principal/2C
Power/3D
Virtue/4E
Domination/5F
Throne/6G
Cherubic/7H
Seraphic/8X

Somehow i'm guessing Seraphic is the lowest, while Angel is the highest, though it sounds kinda backwards.

Paul's reference to "GOD clearance" is obviously sarcasm, but it hints us to all-seeng eye, or, in cyberpunk world, a virtual entity that posesses all information.

While there's no strict reference to his clearance, my bet JC is 5F. He's a rookie and he actually doesn't know what the hell is going on until the Lebedev scene. We can hear Simons warn JC not to pry into things: "What are you, Angel/0A"?
Paul has to be a little higher. Manderley and Simons must be somewhere around 1B. What about the others? What do you think?

Mr. Perfect
10th May 2009, 23:30
Kinda of an old thread, but that's a cool run down of levels anyhow. So they are actual UN codes? With Angel/0A as the top ranking? It figures that DX would have used real coding, a lot of other things where pulled out of the real-world instead of created.

Sean D
10th May 2009, 23:35
I have no idea if those are real. Definitely not common knowledge anyway.

Nathan2000
11th May 2009, 01:22
Somehow i'm guessing Seraphic is the lowest, while Angel is the highest, though it sounds kinda backwards.
It's the opposite. In the first mission, in JC's office you can find a UNATCO Handbook. It reads: "This manual (...) is classified as Angel/0A. (...) Other classifications will be explained upon reaching higher clearance." It clearly states that it's not the highest clearance so it must be the lowest. In another mission, you can read that Area 51 is classified as Seraphic/8X.

I'm certain that the codes aren't real. Dowd says that they were made by Bob Page after angelic orders and he finds it ironic.

WhatsHisFace
11th May 2009, 02:46
That's like the factions of Pagan/Hammerites in Thief 3.

level 1: Hostile - You are attacked on sight.
level 2: neutral - You are ignored unless you enter the compound.
level 3: allied - You are welcome into the compound.

K^2
11th May 2009, 07:58
There is no reason to have a separate clearance system. If you already have some sort of a standing stat with each faction, that can double as clearance. Either way, it's just a measure of how much they trust you.

GmanPro
11th May 2009, 08:21
I didn't like that about T3. It felt like there should have been more reward or something. Like they didn't have enough time to properly implement what they wanted so they threw that in there instead. It should have been more like 'do this job for us and we'll give you some information.'

It should be more story oriented, and the variables should be kept behind the scenes. It breaks immersion for me when one moment a faction hates me but then after I kill one extra dust mite they suddenly love me.

LatwPIAT
11th May 2009, 17:58
Why not incorporate the clarence levels in the form of avaliable keys, avaliable computer passwords, avaliable passcodes and codewords?

"You've just been promoted to clerance level M4. Here's a key to floor 10. The passcode to the door is 1984. If a file on a compter is flagged M4, enter CRM114 and it you're clear to view it."

This also allows for the possibility of keys, passcodes and passwords being stolen, and ID cards can always, always be faked with enough MSPaint skills.

Sean D
11th May 2009, 20:50
It's the opposite. In the first mission, in JC's office you can find a UNATCO Handbook. It reads: "This manual (...) is classified as Angel/0A. (...) Other classifications will be explained upon reaching higher clearance." It clearly states that it's not the highest clearance so it must be the lowest. In another mission, you can read that Area 51 is classified as Seraphic/8X.

Thanks man. It all makes sense now. Somehow i missed "upon reaching higher clearance" when i read that.
It gives a different meaning to Simons' phrase, but it totally makes sense.
That also explains the "X" in "Seraphic/8X". Like, "eXtra hardass clearance".

Abram730
14th May 2009, 03:47
C = confidential
SSI = secret security information(new)
S = secret
TS = top secret

DOE uses C, L, Q

SCI = sensitive compartmented information

So a TS/SCI is top secret sensitive compartmented information(Need to know).

To work in the white house you need a Yankee White.

Speaking of security clearances, SF-86's suck, accounting for over 3 thousand six hundred days of your life without making mistakes.