PDA

View Full Version : If Virtual Reality was a thing of the present...

foxberg
21st Aug 2008, 14:55
...then what would you want this game to be like and who would you want to be in the game? By VR I don't mean just MyVu type glasses, etc. but the real thing they describe in all those sci-fi books and movies. VR that puts you IN the game. It all comes from your brains but you feel like you actually run, swim, climb that damn crate and experience everything that surrounds you with the full range of senses, i.e.: you feel cold, hot, wet, weapon recoil in your hands, etc. You just don't actually die if you get shot, although it shouldn't feel too pleasant either.

imported_van_HellSing
21st Aug 2008, 16:08
You just don't actually die if you get shot, although it shouldn't feel too pleasant either.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4536/93190394bw9.jpg

DLGenesis
21st Aug 2008, 21:15
i dont think these would be classified as games if it was total immersion and life like.. more of a simulation. but i could see lots of FPS / racing games of sorts and rpgs.

GruntOwner
21st Aug 2008, 21:44
It would only really work for strategy games, or the term "murder sim ulator" may actually start being accurate. They've already spoken about the possibility and they would declare it illegal because you never know if you're in the game or not with a few good hacks. As for what I'd like to see were DX VR: some down time. I know JC was a one man army changing the fate of the world less than a week after his first assignment, but I would like DX3 to have a brief period around the middle where nothing was happeining. You were just watching events unfold and planning. Perahps after putting an end to an evil scheme you find some villain's luxury retreat, abandoned after things got hectic. Maybe spend a while there chilling out and hitting the nearby town's nightlife. Then it coming through that something foul smelling has hit the fan due to your actions. Not a Bond-esque base, but a faily nice one. Perhaps a Knight Templar's former vacation home. Before Manderely happened to him.

Necros
23rd Aug 2008, 02:38
Oh yeah, but I'd like to see something like the holodeck from Star Trek. :o Big Trek fan here. :D

Larington
23rd Aug 2008, 07:28
If that sort of technology were about, and considering human nature, all the big companies would be far more interested in churning out, ahem, interactive sex adventures, to be doing anything more interesting and story like.
Or maybe I'm just too cynical about human nature.

Jerion
23rd Aug 2008, 07:58
If that sort of technology were about, and considering human nature, all the big companies would be far more interested in churning out, ahem, interactive sex adventures, to be doing anything more interesting and story like.
Or maybe I'm just too cynical about human nature.

Some companies are already doing that. There are a couple adult adventure MMORPGs out there that you have to pay to play. Kinda makes me wonder, ya know? Somehow, just somehow, I don't see virtual sex comparing to the real thing. :scratch:

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Aug 2008, 08:09
Well, there are people too insecure about themselves to find a partner in real life, that's an alternative for them.

And then there are fetishists who get turned on by cybersex more than the actual thing .

Jerion
23rd Aug 2008, 08:13
If you can think of it, somebody will have a fetish for it. That seems to be a rule of thumb when it comes to the internet. Still though, we don't want this topic to stray too far from the original point.

Larington
23rd Aug 2008, 08:29
Yeah, my bad, personally I'd love to see certain classic story based games get transitioned into the VR tech system. And even certain not so story based games, so for example you could take UFO: Enemy Unknown, and you play the commander, but you can walk around your base (And dial time forward thru the globe map at a command station) and possibly even lead your troops on the ground personally but probably best to have the player as a commander that is able to speak to and order the troops about.

DX1 is one game that would probably transition very well to the tech, though fitting the dialogue tree system in would be problematic, and the very nature of first person perspective being enforced for believeability reasons you'd lose certain cinematic type things, from the helicopter take/off landings in DX1 (Though doing those from inside the copter would be rather cool) to Tomb Raider style camera panning/travelling from the switch you've just pulled to the door the switch opens.