PDA

View Full Version : In-game secrets and other rewarding achievements and goals

Defres
21st Aug 2008, 11:14
I tried search but could not find any threads about this. bare with me.

I still remember the feeling of success and just excited enjoyment of finding that secret room full of weapon upgrades, LAW, Sniper-rifle, LAMs etc. behind that bookcasing on the airbase level of DX1.
I remember the shock of finding a whole secret MJ12 base in the NYC sewers, I by accident happened to notice the sewer access was openable by a special key. Truely one of my top ingame moments ever.
I still remember finding that special Crossbow weapon in DX: IW that shot fire darts instead of tranq. in that abandoned balcony room high up, there are countless examples like this.

The second you see something is off or placed in a weird way, go investigate and find something very useful and maybe mysterious, it gives you this complitely unique feeling that only in DX i've truely felt and one of the most rewarding feelings there can be in a game. also it makes it sweeter if you find something very VERY unique, that will stay as a reminder of your accomplishments and giving you something very uber to play with.

This is what I really, REALLY need and would love to see in DX3.

Please, make unique zones, characters, contacts, custom build weapons, equipment, items and special notes or keycodes, computers, info, AUGS etc. that are only found in 1 or maybe 2 places, depending on its stats and item type.
Make them very hard to obtain. So the player would have to study found clues, use their brain, do some serious investigation, make contacts (find a very special person who could maybe sell you some unique weapons or other items) or just randomly find a stash or perhaps maybe a stash that in no way could be known where it is, but instead had to be found by sheer luck and trying through trial and error etc. in order to receive them.

you can only imagine how great it would be to actually, on your 2nd playthrough find a whole new character contact(s) that would possibly change the whole course of the story or give you somekind of advantage. or MAYBE a new enemy ;)

There are so many cool possibilities for these unique encounters.

Imagine a very special assault rifle to be found, that would be complitely unique and customized. longer more accurate barrel, grenadelauncher, RIS type rails, special grips, silencers, higher firerate than its normal counter part, or maybe just a whole new weapon that there can only be one (kinda like Dragon Tooth in DX1.. except dont make the NPCs and their mother have it later in the game.. kinda takes away its unique nature and feeling)

An custom AUG that will complitely overwhelm any other aug in its slot (perhaps an experimental aug, found in a secret labratory base?) but it would have some negative sideaffects.

Make a few extra zones in the game that can be only accessed if made correct contacts or simply found a special route into these places (or maybe follow that weird nervous looking guy that keeps roaming around the city streets and seems to disappear at certain times :P). and these places themselfs could hold unique items.

There can be countless examples I could give you but I want to hear others opinion on this aswell :)

foxberg
21st Aug 2008, 14:29
I completely agree. That is what makes for a not just great but a fantastic playing experience. The harder those secrets are to obtain the more rewarding it is when you find one. Once again, there should be no cheats revealed to the public for at least a year and no secrets described in any articles (xBox Magazine, etc.) for at least the same period of time. This game could and should be bigger then Halo series.

Freddo
22nd Aug 2008, 01:01
Agreed. All these things you mentioned gave the game an extra sense of freedom that very few games achieve. And they are very good player rewards that keep the player motivated to continue to play the game.

K^2
22nd Aug 2008, 01:41
A unique, undocumented augmentation in a nice hidden away spot would be rather interesting. I would certainly enjoy being able to find other, unique items in the game. Even if some of them are unique in the way they look only.

binaryboy
22nd Aug 2008, 02:42
That's one of the reasons I like stealth/exploration and also part of the reason why replaying Deus Ex is fun.

Defres
23rd Aug 2008, 18:00
good to read peoples replies :)

I wish the Devs and/or community people would actually read this aswell. dont want this major feature in no way be-litteled, because for me atleast, it made half of the original DX. The scale of freedom and freedom of choice become so much bigger.

iWait
24th Aug 2008, 05:52
There should be a hidden holo-recording of one of the developers talking about making the game, and after you'd get a new aug.

Jerion
24th Aug 2008, 22:20
Naw, there should be an easter egg holo-recording of walton simons trying to use a galss ketchup bottle. When it refuses to pour out any ketchup, he holds it up, looks at it through the hole in the top, says, 'What a pathetic mistake you turned out to be.", where upon it covers his face in ketchup.

Why do this?

Well, Why not? :nut:

Overtime
24th Aug 2008, 23:55
Your right. Even the tutorial had a secret area in DX1.

Having secret areas and loot gives the game replayability. I remember finding new areas and secret doors on my second and third play through. It felt so good to get those extra exp point when you found something new.

Definitely has to be a part of DX3!

Voltaire
25th Aug 2008, 09:52
I remember finding new areas and secret doors on my second and third play through...

On my first playthrough I skipped past Lucius deBeers and Morpheus the AI. It's shameful I know, but I was tired and bored of Paris at the time (it seemed to be the only location that dragged on a bit). When I decided to look around a bit more on my second time through Everett's apartment, I was shocked and amazed that I missed such a big story-point. That's what gave DX1 a real feeling of setting up your own adventure, rather than following a linear storyline.

René
25th Aug 2008, 13:03
I wish the Devs and/or community people would actually read this aswell.

We do! Though we can't divulge any information right now or make any promises. But we are watching...

Defres
27th Aug 2008, 12:12
We do! Though we can't divulge any information right now or make any promises. But we are watching...

that is very releaving to hear :)

But I do wish that you do more than just watch.. if you seriously don't use big resources into this specific, major feature, you will lose one of the biggest reasons why Dx 1 is such a legend and has such a huge re-play value.

We're Just trying to help you people at Eidos to make an excellent, long lasting game :)

Voltaire
27th Aug 2008, 15:48
We're just trying to help you people at Eidos to make an excellent, long lasting game :)

Speak for yourself. I don't mean to sound rude, but I trust EM to make this game of their own accord, trusting their instincts and creating a great playing experience. DX1 was made like this, whereas DX:IW was built on the expectations of certain fans. I surely wouldn't want to play some of the concepts being bandied about in this forum... :p

Defres
27th Aug 2008, 17:00
Speak for yourself. I don't mean to sound rude, but I trust EM to make this game of their own accord, trusting their instincts and creating a great playing experience. DX1 was made like this, whereas DX:IW was built on the expectations of certain fans. I surely wouldn't want to play some of the concepts being bandied about in this forum... :p

Well, not to sound rude but if DX: IW was truely made listening to the fans it would have been more succesful and if you really are telling me that the DEVs should NOT listen to their fans I really hope you never end up in gaming industry in any form.
Telling the difference between good and bad ideas is all about the DEVs themselfs.

Give me one example where a fan asked for universal ammo? or the crappy console HUD and other retard plantments. The blame is not the DX 1 fans.

even a braindead person can realise that of course EM will make the game of their own accord, but listening to fans who actually know what they are talking about and sharing ideas, brainstorming, is ALWAYS a good thing.

Voltaire
27th Aug 2008, 17:31
No worries Defres, I'm not picking a fight. I just believe that a lot of what is said in the forum doesn't bear to much listnening to by devs. And if the devs believe the view of a minority of fans to be true of the lot of us, then there's no knowing what they will think we all want.

Point aside, I just think that the devs should be strong enough not to rely on fan views to make an amazing game like DX3 should be. I'm not here to influence writers and developpers, I'm just having a laugh musing about the upcoming title of what potentially could be made the best video game series made :)

Defres
27th Aug 2008, 19:33
Yes I see your point.
But you should also know that the feature i'm talking about is what practically made 50% of deus ex. It also increases the non-linear gaming experience among the fact that it rewards the player and makes them use their head and brings depth to the game, I don't understand why that would be bad. DX 1 was purely of this. and the ONLY reason for people to actually replay the game more than 1-2 times.

I shouldn't be even explaining this obvious fact :)

Larington
27th Aug 2008, 19:54
Uhh, not that I want to go adding fuel to the fire, but for me personally the exploration part was probably only about 20% of the experience for me, other elements including the setting/story, music, gameplay mechanics (Specifically skill system & biomods) and characterisation in the game. Not to say that the exploration wasn't a significant factor in my enjoyment of the game for me, but its not necessarily going to have been 50% for everyone, I think thats where Voltairs point comes from, that obviously the devs should pay attention to whats being said and cherry picking the best stuff as needed, but its always a good idea to take what people say with a 'pinch of salt'...

Just in case.

foxberg
27th Aug 2008, 20:04
Yes I see your point.
But you should also know that the feature i'm talking about is what practically made 50% of deus ex. It also increases the non-linear gaming experience among the fact that it rewards the player and makes them use their head and brings depth to the game, I don't understand why that would be bad. DX 1 was purely of this. and the ONLY reason for people to actually replay the game more than 1-2 times.

I shouldn't be even explaining this obvious fact :)

I agree with Defres. Exploration adds a huge element to this game. Playing DX:IW I always felt a little bit "claustrophobic". Same goes for Castle Wolfenstein (although I liked it much better levels wise). I want to feel like I did playing Far Cry or Halo. Freedom of movement is essential.

Oh, and how 'bout a "daytime" level for a change? Are all the Auggies turn into Vampires? Oops, did I just reveal the future plot?

Defres
27th Aug 2008, 20:13
If there was no "secrets" to be found, you would miss half the aug canisters & upgrades (of course they could have be in-game but it would have 0 challenge & reward to get all of them) and 30-40% of the storyline (morpheus, smuggler, NYC MJ12 sewerbase, that girl who was about to be f'd up by that pimp etc...). if you find everything possible, you get so much more out of it. I cannot be arsed to write down every single thing what you would be complitely missing out on, it would take me forever.
Old school DX players (also ambitious, curious and witty new players :D ) know what I mean.

And as I said, I see your (both of you) points. You should see mine and other's who have written here. This is the most frustrating thing to argue about, as this would only do good for the players and the game, why are you insisting to make it seem as a not so important feature, I don't understand really.

If you want a dull game with no real challenge, play something stricktly linear.
Deus Ex is all about finding out and studying different conspiracies, reaching goals in your own style, making choices to build-up your own future etc.

There is no way in hell I would have played DX1, 6 (or was it 7.. I've lost count) times through without all of these features and things to find out. neither would have anyone else. unless they had the memory of a fish. (old saying, yes I know what the new studies have shown ;) )

Zegano
9th Sep 2008, 02:13
Hopefully the developers are already doing this but I feel the need to remind them. Please give some kind of reward for using non-lethal force! Like if you work for UNATCO and tranquilize a certain terrorist who is carrying important information. If you leave him alive and conscious he gets away before your buddies arrive and if you kill him, well, he's dead, so using a non-lethal approach earns you praise and maybe a bonus, like more credits or more ammo for the crossbow.

Defres
9th Sep 2008, 11:45
Hopefully the developers are already doing this but I feel the need to remind them. Please give some kind of reward for using non-lethal force! Like if you work for UNATCO and tranquilize a certain terrorist who is carrying important information. If you leave him alive and conscious he gets away before your buddies arrive and if you kill him, well, he's dead, so using a non-lethal approach earns you praise and maybe a bonus, like more credits or more ammo for the crossbow.

Or perhaps, you could squeeze some other, erm, useful info from this enemy target. maybe find out some of his connections, arms dealers or AUG smugglers. thus granting you a new AUG and/or weapons after you track down his connections. this is what I meant by rewarding game experiences =)

Romeo
10th Sep 2008, 00:08
Yeah, I like this post. Easter Eggs isn't something that would be nice to have in Deus Ex, it's something Deus Ex needs. Hate the game if you will, but the party ending in DX:IW was the best ending to a game ever. EVER.

Speaking of achievements, an Easter Egg achievement on the 360/PC would be really nice.

K^2
10th Sep 2008, 01:01
Hate the game if you will, but the party ending in DX:IW was the best ending to a game ever. EVER.
Seconded. I think it was worth the purchase for that ending alone. But the bad part is that I still can't get over the feeling that the way you got secret ending, and that secret ending itself, was still more rational conclusion than all of the other endings.

Romeo
11th Sep 2008, 06:21
LOL!

Yes, the Illumnati bio-engineered those flaming penguins to be a cute, 300-degree surveillence system. ;)

And sorry, the thread title made me do this: http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/archive/episode.php?id=296 ...Watch it.