PDA

View Full Version : Magazines, books, datacubes, etc: In-game reading

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 05:37
There has been talk about a thread like this for a while, so I will just go ahead and make one.

To quote Wikipedia:

Deus Ex features a text-reading system which allows the player to read terminals and notes, as well as excerpts from newspapers and books found in various locations within the game level. These various bits of media serve a variety of purposes, from providing the player with useful gameplay information (such as a needed keycode), to the advancement of the plot, to the creation of atmosphere and metafictional irony. It is this last aspect which is most prevalent in the novels found in Deus Ex, with excerpts usually providing reflective commentary on the player's current situation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex

Just in case the developers need some extra material to incorporate into their game lets have some suggestions regarding any of the following:

- Names for magazines
- Articles to read about in magazines
- Book titles (real or imagined):
Give names of books that can be used, just like they used The Man Who Was Thursday, The Art Of War, etc in DX1. Maybe also give a description of that book for us.
- Datacube entries:
Interesting conversations, situation analysis', messages, etc.
- Emails
-Anything else you can think of:
Just be creative and see what you can come up with to go into the game that will add to the overall experience in terms of reading material.

I'm sure the dev's will love to hear some constructive ideas coming from the community. Let's pretend it is a competition. The winner will receive a cookie and a PM from one of the mods saying "well done". Lol.

So, let's hear what you have to say. And most importantly, have fun and be nice :)

SomaMech
18th Aug 2008, 15:52
Fantastic idea!
Interaction with newspapers, datacubes, books, emails etc was the part of Deus Ex I believe really made the game stand out from the rest and something I fear will be simplified once again (as it was in Invisible War) to cater for the less thorough console players.

jcp28
18th Aug 2008, 21:25
Well, who even says we need datacubes? I don't know if pen-and-paper writing is extinct by the time of this game, but I'd like to see notes, ripped out pages of journals...maybe a bit of important writing on a place you wouldn't expect like say, a dollar bill.(okay, stupid example, but somebody might want to put important info in a place where people wouldn't expect to find it) But yeah, there could still be datacubes.

Also, there should be more readable signs. Not signs that you end up going to a separate screen for, but signs that advertise what's being sold in Wan Chai market for example. Also, I want to see more visible storefront signs. Paris in DX was pretty bad when it came to that. I don't believe the digital store had a name.

We could also read computer printouts of scientific reports that the layman would likely find terrible boring. However, they could add immersion in the right settings.

Also, I'd like to read some nanotech/conspiracy-type rags since so much of DX is based on such things. Maybe Nanotech Today or The Truth. I'm crappy with names, though. I think it would be amusing to read some of the more tinfoil-type stuff that's about as far-out as it gets.

As for books, we could get one about some veteran disillusioned with the current Iraq war. There could be passages speculating on where the world is going and how that's affected by our desire to improve ourselves. I can't think of any other ideas, but there could be a passage that contrasts a positive view of the world with a much more negative one in another one.

I personally think a present day 2008 outlook on the world that somehow acknowledges trends of future events as seen in a magazine would help connect to the present day. That way, the game will seem more relevant to contemporary times than it already is.

That's it. I think I covered everything, but I could see a lot more development

El_Bel
18th Aug 2008, 23:46
I'll try to write some newspaper articles, augmentation magazine article and some chapters from imaginary books when i am back from my vacations(or if i find time in my vacation time :D) .

I think if anyone decides to write some staff that wishes to be used by Eidos, it would be useful to write below the text that it is released in public domain so it can be used without fear.

I also want to ask Rene if there is any chance of seeing any of our work in the game :)

K^2
19th Aug 2008, 01:23
I liked the e-mail system from original DX. Missed it in IW. They should certainly bring these back. Holo-recordings are great, but I don't think they'll phase out e-mail completely.

MaxxQ1
19th Aug 2008, 02:12
I have a suggestion for a magazine title and an article or two:

Popular Nanotech (a la Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, etc.)

There could be an article about new breakthroughs in augmentation technology that will dovetail nicely towards beginning of the game for info purposes on "planned" augs that might show up in the course of the game. This would work whether it's a prequel (serving as an introduction to the new aug tech) or sequel (describing the possibilities of new augs different from those in DX).

Something like this could replace copying the situation in DX where you read about augs and aug upgrades in Jaime Reyes' journal.

Can't think of anything from the books category, unless maybe they could do something along the lines of a book that is based on a previously undiscovered rough draft of a new Neuromancer novel by Gibson. Sort of a nod to the "originator" of the cyberpunk genre.

Oddly enough, today I read a story in the news about alleged descendants of the Templars have filed a $150 billion lawsuit against the Pope.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/2495343/Knights-Templar-heirs-in-legal-battle-with-the-Pope.html

Maybe there could be a newspaper article about whether this lawsuit was successful or not, and maybe have that as a plot point in the game.

For datacubes, I'd say keep things similar as in DX (passwords, keycodes, etc.), but maybe update it somewhat to reflect how everybody and their brother nowadays texts each other, including using text shorthand, and possibly add pics.

Meh...that's all I got...

Augmented Cactuar
19th Aug 2008, 03:17
Work a deal with book publishers to have excerpts (a couple of pages) from real books available in the game. Then associate this passage to one of the books in a bookshelf found in the game, just make it pop up as a text window like in DX1, that's all you need. You could have something like twenty books in-game, that's plenty to ensure that the player doesn't see the same one over and over again.

It sounds like a simple solution, but you've no idea how much more immersive the world will be when you can check out all the books on a shelf!

Edit: Also, in email messages, DO include typos! People make mistakes, they're human. The emails from Gunther in the first game were brilliant, it added so much credibility to his character.

SemiAnonymous
19th Aug 2008, 04:35
Book name: Secret Organizations and You: How to Prepare and Protect Yourself.

As for other titles, I wouldn't mind if DX3 did the same thing DX1 did with "The man who was Thursday", maybe with a story that mirrors the plot of the game.

Actually, I just had a thought, lets assume this game is a sequel; why not have a series of books scattered about, titled "The beginning and end of collapse society", or something of that sort, which not only gives details to the first two games, but also gives detail on the actual society, and what life was really like at that point.

anyways...
A series of magazine personal ads, ranging from normal (Help wanted, buy my service bot, stuff like that), to creepy (Large hairy man seeks petite young woman to practice massage techniques on), all the way to humorous (Wanted: Un-augmented cow, so I may gather milk from it, which I will then drink for my hu-man nutritional requirements)

Datacube entry:
1: Diary log, including several regular (possibly one of a little girl, so we can have some amusing "I <3 MikeYYYYY!!!!1!), and some not so regular (maybe a prison guards).
2: Return of the voice recordings. I loved that in DX1, even though it was only used, I think twice (Maggy Chow talking to the Red Arrow leader, cutting off his finger, and the Marine in A51, who was panicing), I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of this.
3: Shopping lists, instructions, maybe a recipe.

I think I'll stop now, I feel like I wrote too much, lol.

DXeXodus
19th Aug 2008, 04:39
Some excellent ideas so far. Please keep them coming. I have started compiling a document of all the ideas with the names of those who came up with them. After a while I will submit it to Rene for whatever it may be worth.

El_Bel
19th Aug 2008, 04:43
Semianonymous you have some prety cool ideas!! Keep em coming!! Why dont you write some more adds :D I would love to read them :D

DXeXodus
19th Aug 2008, 05:07
I think I'll stop now, I feel like I wrote too much, lol.

No, please, you can never write too much in a thread like this. The more ideas you give the better :)

LatwPIAT
19th Aug 2008, 16:03
While the sheer immenseness of the datacubes, books and email was incredibly impressive, the absolutley best example I can think of was the datacubes you could find in the Ocean Lab.

Save for "explosion" you're given no explanation of why the Ocean Lab is such a mess by any ingame character. However, by reading some datacubes and email, you can read some messages from one doctor to another, telling about how he becomes suspicious of a worker, followed him, saw him detonate some explosives, and as far as I know, "killed the bastard"

Datacubes that actually tell of something that isn't explained, but isn't just background info (like, say, the India/Chinese War, "The Fall of Gnishu" in Pauls apartment.) but actually tells you about why the Ocean Lab sank/the Space Station isn't in orbit/The Kremlin recently was a shootout.

Also, I'd like a few places where you have to deduce what to do based on info found on a computer system. Say, a Shangri-La e-mail telling you that they have planted a spy in The Network, and then, without being told so, you have the ability to walk right up to the fellow, and talk to/kill him, changing a minor plot point, much like the Everett Estate Mechanic and Jock. The fact that Deux Ex was so open made it brilliant. You're not told the corpse on the floor means the other Mechanic killed the real one, and you have to arrive at that conclusion yourself. To do the same in email, datacube, heck, an image of the saboteur lying arround with "saboteur" painted on would make the game even more enjoyable.

My input.

Gizmostuff
19th Aug 2008, 21:52
This is actually a really good thread. I love this part in the game. Makes it seem more real to me than any other game I've played.

I just loved in Deus Ex when you read stories about Decker Parkes, Erin and Young; even though you never see them in the game. I'd be glad to see them make an actual appearance in the game or more data cube notes at the very least.

The news bulletins were great as well. I loved how JC, Paul, and others were on the most wanted list in Paris.

Book recommendations: The Illuminatus Trilogy would be kind of an interesting to take a look at in game.

I'll think of more later....

SemiAnonymous
20th Aug 2008, 02:08
when I first looked at it, it looked like I wrote a ton more than I actually did. I was fairly sleepy, it seems.

To continue where I left off...
4: Orders and instructions, which are generally well hidden. Most of these will be fairly useless, but every now and then, you can find one that will give you a heads up about an ambush that the enemies are planning.
Emails:
Well, beyond the standard "oh hai, do this do that" that can be found if you log into your email, I figure, with the proper amount of hacking skills, of course, you should be able to find evaluation logs of yourself by the allied group, with things like strategy (the game evaluates your strategy and labels you as stealthy, tank, homocidal, etc, based off of your kill count), the overall time to complete objectives, stuff like that. Of course, it should vary depending on the faction, I don't think that the NSF would have as complicated and detailed reports as the MJ12.

I'd also want advertisments that you can respond to, allowing for online purchases of sorts. Of course, this would require a pick up place, of sorts, maybe the item would automatically spawn at the nearest mail store, which would be a reoccuring store. These could be items like new weapons, special ammo, maybe some overall useless nicknacks to decorate a house/base of sorts (assuming we even get that), maybe some special food items that fully heal you.

News Bulletins:
These have lots of potential. Imagine if you were reading a perfectly harmless public service announcement, and then you slowly notice that there are some small misspelling's here and there. You put the errors together, and you get: "jc b carful mj planin atak. 19 strt". Secret messages hidden in news posts should be implemented, and could work really well for a really secret group, one that you never meet, but you can only find if you follow the hidden clues.
Now that I think of it, I think I'll expand a touch on that later.

Wanted signs should have a new twist. Depending on your alliance, you can choose to kill certain wanted persons, and collect a bounty. Of course, killing someone who is an enemy of your enemy wouldn't be the brightest idea.

Graffiti:
No one likes graffiti, but who says it shouldn't have a purpose? Hidden messages within the graffiti should be common, even if its something like "House 17 has lots of cash" sort of thing.

Lastly, my mention of a secret order, I won't go into huge detail, but I like the idea, I might make a thread later. I'd want a secret order, even if its fairly minor, to exist that communicates primarily through secret messages. I'd want it to be fairly minor simply because I wouldn't want it to even be accessable unless you can follow the clues. Something like the Omar or some other weapons smugglers, who would simply be a group scattered around the world that can give you cheap weapons and ammo. But remember, if you can't follow the clues via books, datacubes, etc, then you completely lose out on this opportunity, although to be fair, they should have multiple times to be accessable.

gamer0004
20th Aug 2008, 04:56
I like some of your ideas, but some are just plain unrealistic. Like informative graffiti... Of course I want graffiti because it's important for the atmosphere in the game, but have you ever seen informative graffiti? It's either (nick-)names or a nice painting.

DXeXodus
20th Aug 2008, 08:10
^^ Agreed. Some of the ideas are great, but others are slightly unrealistic. Everyone please feel free to just scribble down your ideas. I will filter through the ideas to find the ones I feel are most appropriate for the game.

Don't worry about people shooting you down as this thread is just for fun really anyway.

Gizmostuff
21st Aug 2008, 00:24
A few more ideas popped into my head since the last day I posted.

Account numbers in data cubes were a great idea in the first game. I missed that in Deus Ex 2. Although I doubt we will see this if Eidos wants a console version again. :sigh:

I'd like to see a data cubes of quotes from a specific persons or unknowns. Just a different quote every so often. Quotes that possibly have to do with where you are, what you are doing or what's happening to the world around you, depending on what choices you make. Are your choices affecting the world for good or bad; the quotes will give you hidden clues on how the NPCs feel about the world.

Stories from people who are augmented having to deal with life with people w/o augmentations and vice versa. Depending on which side you choose, you should be allowed to see more to one point of view than the other. That may actually increase the replay value in the game.

Include conversations in data cubes like an instant messaging system, but have them encrypted - depending on your hacking abilities - will prove or not you can read them. e.g. Updated versions of data cubes should be harder to crack than older ones.

Ditto for computer systems. What would be really interesting is to have an actual OS command line/and or a UI that should be self taught in game if the player wants. This might be a little over the top for the casual gamer but I think it would be an interesting add-on for us hardcore ones ;)

Better access to computer systems/email. If the player decides, he or she could buy/find/steal a computer UI augmentation that enables you to check your email more frequently, see updated news bulletins rather than having to find one, etc....might need to add more abilities to this aug to make it worth while....

I'm just trying to throw as many ideas I have at a time. Feel free to give feedback or change some ideas. Hopefully, I'll think of more or improve on some from the original.

Book Recommendations:
The Illuminatus! Trilogy
The Catcher in the Rye
New written books

Gizmostuff
21st Aug 2008, 00:28
I like some of your ideas, but some are just plain unrealistic. Like informative graffiti... Of course I want graffiti because it's important for the atmosphere in the game, but have you ever seen informative graffiti? It's either (nick-)names or a nice painting.

Graffiti could also be used for direction as well. i.e. clues to finding a secret location that would otherwise be "almost" impossible to find by other means.

minus0ne
21st Aug 2008, 04:06
I'd like to see a return of some of the books of DX, both fictional (like Jacob's Shadow) and real (there's lots to choose from that is long since rights-free, but you could work out deals with other real authors like Haruki Murakami or Noam Chomsky for some excerpts).

Other than that, I'd love to see more magazine covers/article excerpts, like the Popular Nanotech idea, but a whole range of different types of mags (even dirty ones, there could even be a Playborg/Playbot depending on if it's a sequel :rasp: ). Just try to paint a backdrop of the DX3 gameworld (of which we still have little clue) while providing some occasional comically surreal backstory - Allusions to existing works/papers/magazines have provided me with many a laugh in a lot of different games :p I also wouldn't mind entire front pages of newspapers a little bit like in Hitman: Blood Money (where you'd get to read not only the article pertaining to your assasinations, but entire front pages of newspapers, although there was only one front page per mission).

But, most importantly, logs, emails, notes, datacubes must all provide some bit of backstory behind each location, not exclusively as it was done in System Shock, but as LatwPIAT mentioned, it was used to great effect in the Ocean Lab level.

Ditto for computer systems. What would be really interesting is to have an actual OS command line/and or a UI that should be self taught in game if the player wants. This might be a little over the top for the casual gamer but I think it would be an interesting add-on for us hardcore ones
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines did this excellently (although not everyone can dig the oldschool DOS-like command line). Perhaps DX3 can build on that with a CL/UI that doesn't look so out-of-place but still feels somewhat genuine.

DXeXodus
21st Aug 2008, 04:20
Great ideas guys. Please, by all means, keep them coming.

SemiAnonymous
21st Aug 2008, 07:29

yeah, I figured that would be pointed out, since I was just throwing ideas out. Besides, Graffiti could be used for secret messages, who says your just not knowledgeable enough to know what secret messages are being sent?

Even if that isn't all that realistic, why not just basic protests or complaints? In a trip I had to Germany last year (beautiful country, made me proud to be a German), I noticed a large amount of Graffiti was actually political statements and such, so that is something that could be used in DX3, and I just didn't mention it the first time.

gh0s7
21st Aug 2008, 13:28
yeah, I figured that would be pointed out, since I was just throwing ideas out. Besides, Graffiti could be used for secret messages, who says your just not knowledgeable enough to know what secret messages are being sent?

Even if that isn't all that realistic, why not just basic protests or complaints? In a trip I had to Germany last year (beautiful country, made me proud to be a German), I noticed a large amount of Graffiti was actually political statements and such, so that is something that could be used in DX3, and I just didn't mention it the first time.

Not just in Germany; around here (Portugal), it's somewhat common to see outcries and political statements and philosophical comments painted everywhere (though the political ones usually are on streets with more movement, and typically signed "@" (Anarchy)).

farmerbobconspiracist
21st Aug 2008, 20:45
I'd also want advertisments that you can respond to, allowing for online purchases of sorts. Of course, this would require a pick up place, of sorts, maybe the item would automatically spawn at the nearest mail store, which would be a reoccuring store. These could be items like new weapons, special ammo, maybe some overall useless nicknacks to decorate a house/base of sorts (assuming we even get that), maybe some special food items that fully heal you.

I'm sorry to go off topic a little, but your idea actually gave me an idea.

Depending on what time DX3 is set in, it might be possible that the average person has access to home-based (i.e. smaller) nanoconstructors, perhaps looking like a microwave in size or rougly thereof (so as to explain why large objects couldn't be constructed).

The way it could operate is you visit a website via a personal computer and order the "rights" or "prints" to have your nanoconstructer manufacture what you want. Say you want a lockpick. You visit the website, pay a fee to have the nanoconstructer make one, and it instantly makes one in an accompanying nanoconstructer unit.

And, of course, you could hack them. Perhaps, with some illegal blueprints you might have found...

That said, this is a very good thread, and I hope to see some of this in-game. Please do not underestimate how immersing it made DX to have books, datacubes, and emails around.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that was interested in Decker's activities. When I read Smuggler's email and found he made it out of New York alive, I was actually happy - and you never even meet him in the game!

Voltaire
21st Aug 2008, 21:09
One of the most important things I found in the DX1 in-game media was the more personal stuff. Two examples that spring to mind are the journals kept by:

1) The dead guy in the sewer
2) The "new" agent in the french tower

Both were really heartfelt and drew the gamer further into the deuniverse. I had to take a moment to say "wait, this didn't actually happen, they're fictional characters..." :(

phlebas
21st Aug 2008, 23:05
I like the graffiti idea. Those can be political statements, or simple aesthetic tags. Yet considering that we are talking about a nanotech age, it might be possible to make graffiti more interesting... Some how more interactive with the environment/player.

As for books, try not to include too much of sci-fi. Seriously, since the game itself is based around sci-fi premises, making it look as if the inhabitants of the world are all into sci-fi would be a serious dealbreaker in terms of immersion. I say go for writings (likely public domain) that are thought provoking as well as obscure with topics across variety of fields ranging from arts, economics, politics, to sciences. Include Latin fragments, Thomas Pynchon, E. E. Cummings, Raymond Roussel and etc. Simply dotting the game world with literatures the players would already be familiar with would be disastrous and may make the game world look shallow.

We should try to think of the general technological level as well as the political and cultural climate of the game world, and place writings that correspond to the real people who would be living in those worlds. A political activist demonstrating in a city square probably has more Chomsky than Orson Card in her private library. Same for aspriring art students in the game world and so on and so forth.

The format of the books and email or email-like derivatives should also be worked out to some extent, depending on how far in the future the game world is set in.

Hah. This just gave me an idea. Maybe in the future the conventional digital publishing routes will be so tightly sensored that people will turn to small scale paper-based publishing (or some equivalent available in the future) to propagate their ideas. Like Thomas Paines of replicating nanotechnology era.

rhalibus
21st Aug 2008, 23:35
Posters and art on the walls of NPC's rooms and offices would go a long way in fleshing out the motivations and desires of the characters that the player encounters: You could break into the apartment of an NPC, see the "pro-union" poster in his room, and conclude that the NPC was sympathetic to the Martian miner's strike. You could then tailor your future conversation with him to secure his confidence and obtain any secrets he knows.

DXeXodus
22nd Aug 2008, 03:55
I'm sorry to go off topic a little, but your idea actually gave me an idea.

Depending on what time DX3 is set in, it might be possible that the average person has access to home-based (i.e. smaller) nanoconstructors, perhaps looking like a microwave in size or rougly thereof (so as to explain why large objects couldn't be constructed).

The way it could operate is you visit a website via a personal computer and order the "rights" or "prints" to have your nanoconstructer manufacture what you want. Say you want a lockpick. You visit the website, pay a fee to have the nanoconstructer make one, and it instantly makes one in an accompanying nanoconstructer unit.

And, of course, you could hack them. Perhaps, with some illegal blueprints you might have found...

I like the idea. It provides a more series-related way of trading in the game.

ikenstein
22nd Aug 2008, 23:04
the man who was thursday is a great book. there was quite a lot of other book references in dx1, e.g. dr moreau is from a story by hg wells and that olaph stapledon guy was in there somewhere. frankenstein from iw fitted the theme of the game, as well.

Book Recommendations:
The Illuminatus! Trilogy
The Catcher in the Rye
New written books

1984 by gorge orwell
brave new world by aldus huxly
watchmen by alan more
the count of monte cristo by alexander dumass

minus0ne
25th Aug 2008, 04:22
the man who was thursday is a great book. there was quite a lot of other book references in dx1, e.g. dr moreau is from a story by hg wells and that olaph stapledon guy was in there somewhere. frankenstein from iw fitted the theme of the game, as well.

1984 by gorge orwell
brave new world by aldus huxly
watchmen by alan more
the count of monte cristo by alexander dumass
Agreed. Also some more great older ones, still relevant, and to DX in particular:

Thomas Paine's Rights of Man
Seneca's Dialogues, De Brevitate Vitae
Desiderius Erasmus' The Praise of Folly
Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince
Jean-Jacques Rousseau's The Social Contract
Friedrich Nietzsche's Ecce Homo
Voltaire's Candide

And some more recent ones:
Noam Chomsky's Chomsky on Anarchism
Michel Foucault's The Order of Things and Discipline and Punish

Also it'd just kill me to see a brief clip of Metropolis in there somewhere (can't be that hard, it's one of the oldest films still watchable :p ).

DXeXodus
4th Sep 2008, 09:37
Some great book ideas minusOne. keep the ideas coming guys. I know there are a lot more ideas floating around out there. :)

foxberg
4th Sep 2008, 14:03
Date Cubes: - I loved the way they did it in Doom 3 where you could read some entries, watch videos and listen to voice recordings on the same disk. In addition to plain pass codes I would like to see some hints to some places you could get to in order to find something, ... like another data cube with more hints! Kind of National Treasure style. This shouldn't become the main plot of the game, of course, but would add some excitement. If the player follows all the hints he should find some unique item. Like a special Augmentation Canister that would offer some previously unavailable augmentation option or an upgrade beyond max otherwise unattainable. In case of an upgrade, depending on what the player chooses to upgrade, he should be able to find some special item, or get to some place otherwise unreachable, etc.

Magazines & Newspapers: - There should not be any real magazines left to survive until the date DX3 is set in.

Knights of Freedom
Mercenary Delight
Augmented Beauty
UNATCO Daily
NSF Undeground

Books - Both real and fictional.

Knight Templar Philosophy for Dummies
Karl Marx - Das Kapital
History of Presidential Elections Vol.44 - The Day the World Turned to Darkness
Carrol Lewis - Alice in the Wonderland

Defres
4th Sep 2008, 14:10
In addition to plain pass codes I would like to see some hints to some places you could get to in order to find something, ... like another data cube with more hints! Kind of National Treasure style. This shouldn't become the main plot of the game, of course, but would add some excitement. If the player follows all the hints he should find some unique item. Like a special Augmentation Canister that would offer some previously unavailable augmentation option or an upgrade beyond max otherwise unattainable. In case of an upgrade, depending on what the player chooses to upgrade, he should be able to find some special item, or get to some place otherwise unreachable, etc.

Exactly, what I said on my Secrets and Achievements thread ;)
I hope EM does listen to this.

El_Bel
6th Sep 2008, 13:38
UNSPEAKABLE HORROR ON BIOFUEL FACTORY

Maniac shoots, kills and burns his 4 Augmented coworkers.

Terror striked last night at the Biofuel factory just outside of Oklahoma. Bob Survillan, a worker has committed a disgusting hate crime against four innocent augmented workers. While the poor workers were oiling their actuators, Survillan took out a pistol from his bag, and killed them. He then cut of their augmentations with a chainsaw and then emptied 2 barrels of ehtanol fuel on each of them, tied them on the flag poles and set them on fire.

A big crowd swarmed because of the fire. Some of the areas purists gathered to cheer the death of the innocent workers. He was arrested an hour later at the crime scene without a fight while he was shouting insults at his dead victims. As the officers escorted him to the car the purists saluted him as a hero. "Its good to see someone is willing to fight for the purity of the race mam. If man like him didnt fight the whole world is going to get filled with augmented freaks"

From the video we saw from the surveillance cameras Survillan attacked the unfortunate workers while they were in the rest room, drinking some soft drinks and oiling their actuators. Survillan entered the room and the conversations stopped. Without a word he pulled out his gun and killed all of the workers with a cold expression on his face. This expression didnt change even when he choped the to pieces with the chainsow.

Racism is a bug. We must stop it befor it bites everyone. We are all humans. Dont let them devide you. We all have the same problems. Money is scarce in our classes. Its not augmented people's fault. When 10 people have the 95% of the wealth, we are bound to be poor. Set fires on wall street not on augmented people!!

Anna Breiver, Angeliophoros

JerichoMccoy
7th Sep 2008, 23:00
El Bel... gruesome, but interesting read!

[A note left for a lover]

"My sunshine,

I'm sorry, but they are shipping me off tomorrow to take control of the situation at the Mako Ballistics facility. It's a big operation and they need all the help that they can get.

Unfortunately, me, Johner, and Kaiesha are the only ones left of the unit I told you about.

If I don't return, which has to be a reality we both may face, I want you to take what's left in the safe and get to neutral ground. Probably North like New Hope? Anywhere but here. The combination is 2075. The year we first met.

I love you, Sherry. I love you so damn much.

-Kai"
===============================================

UNDERGROUND RAVE PARTY!

Feeling suppressed? Need to let loose and unplug?

Then come down to JM's JAM Concert

In Carrie Anne's PlayPen on Zion Place!

Fetishes and Augments of all shapes and sizes

Welcome!

20 Cred admission fee. Plus disease and political free.
NO PROTESTERS!

Females with EXXXCLUSIVE AUGS get a free drink!

Call Aidin for details: 7089-21-4237

El_Bel
8th Sep 2008, 17:39
Loved your add :D But you forgot to say about drugs :nut:

The letter was good but i think you made a mistake.. They could not met in 2075!! The game is between the first and the sequel :rasp:

JerichoMccoy
13th Sep 2008, 23:05
Well, some dates would have to be changed of coarse...

But where are the other posters!? We need more, dagnabit!

El_Bel
14th Sep 2008, 13:48
Well i was thinking about making an article about the Survilan Trial but i didnt see anyone else doing it and I lost it.

JerichoMccoy
14th Sep 2008, 22:58
Well i was thinking about making an article about the Survilan Trial but i didnt see anyone else doing it and I lost it.

Survilan Trial? What the bloody hell is that?

El_Bel
14th Sep 2008, 23:25
Biofuel factory just outside of Oklahoma. Bob Survillan, a worker has committed a disgusting hate

Well, first i wrote what he was thinking when he did it and than i wrote the article. So i have in my hands a paragraph were he is talking about why he did it, but i dont think anyone cares :rasp:

Lazarus Ledd
19th Sep 2008, 12:42
I loved reading the novels and news that give more info about the world issues

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 23:18
Who said we should put the Count of Monte Cristo in? That things like 1200 pages long. We'd die before we beat the game. My vote:

Romeo and Juliet, preferably in one house of a male belonging to one gang, and another in the house of a female in a rival gang.

imported_van_HellSing
21st Sep 2008, 22:28
I'm on a Max Payne binge right now (you can tell from my avatar), and it struck me how funny it would be to see in Deus Ex the sort of self-referential fiction going on in the MP series. Example, the in-game TV show **** Justice (oh great, swear filter, let's say Richard Justice. Yeah.) in Max Payne 2, which basically lampooned the first game's plot points.

Imagine playing Deus Ex, and finding serialised readables of a book called, say, Dies Irae, chronicling the exploits of a trenchcoat-wearing, deadpan quirky one-liner delivering agent discovering a global conspiracy, with each episode's plot creepily similar to what you were doing just five minutes ago.

Even better, there could be several versions of each of the chapters, each based on your kind of playstyle - if you played stealthily, the book's protagonist would also stay hidden, if you went for a Rambo style, there would be gory descriptions.

jordan_a
21st Sep 2008, 23:03
( New! Reading (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=79338) )

JerichoMccoy
21st Sep 2008, 23:07
Imagine playing Deus Ex, and finding serialised readables of a book called, say, Dies Irae, chronicling the exploits of a trenchcoat-wearing, deadpan quirky one-liner delivering agent discovering a global conspiracy, with each episode's plot creepily similar to what you were doing just five minutes ago.

Even better, there could be several versions of each of the chapters, each based on your kind of playstyle - if you played stealthily, the book's protagonist would also stay hidden, if you went for a Rambo style, there would be gory descriptions.

The Decepticons like this idea. Make it happen.

Romeo
22nd Sep 2008, 02:01
Do you all want to turn this into a make your own headline-datacube-note-reading material area? I've heard a few good ones so far, and it would be kind of cool to hear what everyone came up with.

El_Bel
22nd Sep 2008, 14:02
I think you should make another thread about making your own "headline-datacube-note-reading material area". But we should wait a bit longer until the news comes out!! We will have our contest than and a lot of people will make stuff like that.

DXeXodus
23rd Sep 2008, 04:15
We plan on having a mini competition once some information is released. It will be very unofficial though. Not even sure if there will be a prize. Unless Rene can organize something small. :)

Romeo
23rd Sep 2008, 17:25
I'll bake cookies!

imported_van_HellSing
24th Sep 2008, 06:27
I'll cook babies!

minus0ne
24th Sep 2008, 08:56
I'll bake cooks!

pewbeng
24th Sep 2008, 09:51
Baby I'll cook!

Azrepheal
24th Sep 2008, 23:52
You know, the last four posts would actually make good newpaper headlines

Romeo
25th Sep 2008, 03:27
:eek:

What kind of newspapers have you been reading? lol

3N4C3R
25th Sep 2008, 16:32
Please please keep the data-cubes and such. As far as graffiti clues will go I agree with what the Eidos guy said: you never see graffiti with real-world clues. If anything the graffiti might as well be an underground association tagged on the wall. ie: JOIN THE RESISTANCE! I'm sure we will see plenty of it.

I really really REALLY like the idea of having a OS command line for hacking or if that's not user friendly enough how about a mock windows os where you can simply open e-mail and security applications with your 'mouse'.

I did not read every bit of information in DX1 but I did read all the newspapers and anything that was remotely interesting. I remember being in a library at one point in one of the games and there were a ton of books to read. Regardless I feel like I missed some serious content there. When I do remember making a special save-game for that area alone though.

One thing that REALLY got my rocks off in DX1 were the little touches to e-mails. I remember hacking gunthers account and his password was Zeitgeist. Out of curiosity I googled it and came up with a conspiracy documentary in regards to government, religion and terrorism. That was in the first level too. Then you read the e-mails and realize that something is going on.

If the game is a prequel then reading about crack agents like Paul and JC Denton would be really neat. Give us some flesh for DX1 since JC was... well... f'in awesome!

Sorry for the extremely unorganized post...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below Bel put a flyer up for a rave. I remember parts of DX1 having a rave scene element in them but it was under realized as a dance club. It would be really cool to have to meet underground contacts at a literal warehouse underground rave. Weather you put rave kitties passed out in the corners from falling too deep into a k hole and DJ's with strobe beams on their hat is up to you, but it would still be cool as undergrounds raves are the very essence of underground. Nobody knows but those who could figure it out and had the desire to attend. The police were clueless. Such is the warehouse rave environment. Think of the intro to the movie BLADE. That is the closest thing to an underground rave I have ever seen portrayed in either movies or games.

El Bel... gruesome, but interesting read!

[A note left for a lover]

"My sunshine,

I'm sorry, but they are shipping me off tomorrow to take control of the situation at the Mako Ballistics facility. It's a big operation and they need all the help that they can get.

Unfortunately, me, Johner, and Kaiesha are the only ones left of the unit I told you about.

If I don't return, which has to be a reality we both may face, I want you to take what's left in the safe and get to neutral ground. Probably North like New Hope? Anywhere but here. The combination is 2075. The year we first met.

I love you, Sherry. I love you so damn much.

-Kai"
===============================================

UNDERGROUND RAVE PARTY!

Feeling suppressed? Need to let loose and unplug?

Then come down to JM's JAM Concert

In Carrie Anne's PlayPen on Zion Place!

Fetishes and Augments of all shapes and sizes

Welcome!

20 Cred admission fee. Plus disease and political free.
NO PROTESTERS!

Females with EXXXCLUSIVE AUGS get a free drink!

Call Aidin for details: 7089-21-4237

Romeo
26th Sep 2008, 05:16
My GOD I hated those movies so passionately, but I do understand what you're talking about. I know all about raves, I throw one every night, charge five bucks a head. Last night I made ten bucks. WOO WOO. :D

minus0ne
26th Sep 2008, 05:50
Below Bel put a flyer up for a rave. I remember parts of DX1 having a rave scene element in them but it was under realized as a dance club. It would be really cool to have to meet underground contacts at a literal warehouse underground rave. Weather you put rave kitties passed out in the corners from falling too deep into a k hole and DJ's with strobe beams on their hat is up to you, but it would still be cool as undergrounds raves are the very essence of underground. Nobody knows but those who could figure it out and had the desire to attend. The police were clueless. Such is the warehouse rave environment. Think of the intro to the movie BLADE. That is the closest thing to an underground rave I have ever seen portrayed in either movies or games.
Actually underground raves tend to not take place in warehouses that much, but rather under bridges, abandoned bunkers etc. (the farther from the nearest homes the better, preferably at least 4 kilometers) And more usually than not, just when it starts getting good the police arrive and confiscate the equipment :( I don't know if you've ever been to an illegal/underground rave, but the intro of Blade is *nothing* like it, and I do mean nothing. Beer costs next to nothing and the atmosphere is much more intimate and relaxed, but good luck trying to find out where it's going to be held :rasp:

Jerion
26th Sep 2008, 06:48

Watch SPACED (it's a british sit-com). They capture raves pretty darn well, IMO.

Romeo
26th Sep 2008, 07:06
Actually underground raves tend to not take place in warehouses that much, but rather under bridges, abandoned bunkers etc. (the farther from the nearest homes the better, preferably at least 4 kilometers) And more usually than not, just when it starts getting good the police arrive and confiscate the equipment :( I don't know if you've ever been to an illegal/underground rave, but the intro of Blade is *nothing* like it, and I do mean nothing. Beer costs next to nothing and the atmosphere is much more intimate and relaxed, but good luck trying to find out where it's going to be held :rasp:
Dude, I've been at tons of raves, everywhere. Nightclubs, warehouses, houses, abandonned houses, under bridges, fields, even on a quarter mile dragstrip. Never assume that's not how a rave happens. Whereever people want to party, there's a party.

3nails4you
27th Sep 2008, 16:34
Well hopefully the reading interface in DX3 will be more like that of DX1 than DX2...I liked being able to just look away and it closed than having to click before moving...I think that excerpts of the DX3 forums are the way to go on what to read in the game...we never know, AS I TYPE THIS, it may be being put into the game...oooooo....

Abram730
5th Oct 2008, 08:12
Gotta have the book "Confessions of an Economic Hitman"

Also I think an online contest would be great. I'd have no problem writing a bunch of stuff for the game and bet others would feel the same.

perhaps a contest where a winner or winners get a credit card or photo ID on a shelf or desk in game?

It would let you jam more content in without the development time.

Abram730
5th Oct 2008, 08:16
A dead body in an apartment with a dear John letter on a table.

The guys name is John

Romeo
5th Oct 2008, 08:19
Better yet, the guy's name ISN'T John. That would be a cool twist. =P

Maybe some thief, or something along those lines.

Abram730
6th Oct 2008, 20:05
Please please keep the data-cubes and such. As far as graffiti clues will go I agree with what the Eidos guy said: you never see graffiti with real-world clues. If anything the graffiti might as well be an underground association tagged on the wall. ie: JOIN THE RESISTANCE! I'm sure we will see plenty of it.

I really really REALLY like the idea of having a OS command line for hacking or if that's not user friendly enough how about a mock windows os where you can simply open e-mail and security applications with your 'mouse'.

I did not read every bit of information in DX1 but I did read all the newspapers and anything that was remotely interesting. I remember being in a library at one point in one of the games and there were a ton of books to read. Regardless I feel like I missed some serious content there. When I do remember making a special save-game for that area alone though.

One thing that REALLY got my rocks off in DX1 were the little touches to e-mails. I remember hacking gunthers account and his password was Zeitgeist. Out of curiosity I googled it and came up with a conspiracy documentary in regards to government, religion and terrorism. That was in the first level too. Then you read the e-mails and realize that something is going on....

from wiki-
("Zeitgeist" refers to the "ethos" of an identified group of people, that expresses a particular world view which is prevalent at a particular period of socio-cultural progression.

Zeitgeist is the experience of a dominant cultural climate that defines, particularly in Hegelian thinking, an era in the dialectical progression of a people or the world at large. Hegel's main contribution to the formulation of the concept of Volksgeist is the attribution of a historical character to the concept. The spirit of a nation is one of the manifestations of "World Spirit" (Weltgeist). That Spirit is essentially alive and active throughout mankind's history. Now, the spirit of a nation is an intermediate stage of world history as the history of the World Spirit. The World Spirit gives impetus to the realization of the historical spirits of various nations (Volksgeister').

The spirits of individual nations are both the articulations (Gliederungen) of an organization and its realization. The spirits of individual nations represent a segment of the World Spirit out of which emerges the unlimited universal spirit. A comparison is introduced here between the status of an individual and that of a nation's spirit. In the process of his formation the individual undergoes various changes without, however, losing his identity. As a part of world history, a nation—exhibiting a certain trend expressed in its Volksgeist— plays its part in the total process of world history. But once it contributes its share to world history it can no longer play a role in the process of world history. The submersion in the total process prevents a people's cultural rebirth, because it has exhausted its creativity in the historical growth of its guiding spirit.)

You can't call it the Zeitgeist until after it happens, as Zeitgeist can only be observed for past events. It's an objective description for a subjective process.

I hope that helps you understand a bit. History is full of people who followed the Zeitgeist.

There is a passage in the bible that sounds a bit like it and Progress is not easy for it divides families and brings conflict.

Matthew 10
34-42

People who follow the Zeitgeist are rewarded whether there is a leader to it at the time or not.

Zeitgeist is a German translation of the Latin genius seculi
genius - guardian spirit
saeculi - of the century

Ethos - meaning "moral, showing moral character". To the Greeks ancient and modern, the meaning is simply "the state of being", your inner source. This is an unknown region within our spirit, our soul, our mind, our original essence, that shapes and forms who we are as a person.

Now you know there is more to the word genius then being smart and why it is said that genius and :nut:insanity are 2 sides of the same coin. A genius is a jinni(genie) in Muslim mythology.

In Deus EX the Helios AI seems a technological replacement of the holy spirit or Christ spirit, the genius. To make objective for all, what is subjective for some.

A person finds their genius or insanity in their instincts if you have "them".

minus0ne
6th Oct 2008, 22:39
One thing that REALLY got my rocks off in DX1 were the little touches to e-mails. I remember hacking gunthers account and his password was Zeitgeist. Out of curiosity I googled it and came up with a conspiracy documentary in regards to government, religion and terrorism. That was in the first level too. Then you read the e-mails and realize that something is going on....
Did people just grow stupid while I was away? :lol:

Let me get this straight, you're actually convinced the Zeitgeist password was a reference to some obscure retarded "documentary" (more like porn for crazy people).

Yes,... and the fact there was a character named Alex is a reference to Alex Jones' non-award winning "films" (ugh) :lol:

Big Orange
7th Oct 2008, 00:52
When hacking computers and reading up on potentially incriminating emails, it was funny how you could do it while the villain was sitting there like a lemon.:lol:

Abram730
8th Oct 2008, 06:43

Let me get this straight, you're actually convinced the Zeitgeist password was a reference to some obscure retarded "documentary" (more like porn for crazy people).

Yes,... and the fact there was a character named Alex is a reference to Alex Jones' non-award winning "films" (ugh) :lol:

no need to put 3N4C3R down.

His instincts to search Zeitgeist were correct. He just didn't check the date on the movie and compare it to the date of the game or explore the word more.

As for the move, being atheist they didn't understand the religious parts of the message, but they did OK. It's creation was more important then it's content. It started a dialogue.

Things are evolving well. Here is the next video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912
It doesn't solve our need for competition but that could take any form. Like the race for greatness.

There is a Muslim video that says about the same thing that I bumped into.. Golden Age if I remember correctly.

People that follow their instincts or the Zeitgeist put their money in commodities as they knew what was coming. This process is repetitive and has caused those with finely tunned instincts to rise. As those that follow first, lead.

This sort of stuff is put in Dx as it's part of the story, but as bread crumbs. It doesn't throw it in peoples face and is subtle, but thats why people are pulled into the story. Their instincts tell them there is something here.

So do we solve our problems or do we wait for a Deus(God) to solve them for us. Solutions that come at the last minuet are rarely the best possible solutions.

In Deus Ex you are asked to make a hard decision at the last minuet. Because of the rushed nature only one of those endings wouldn't work for a beginning in my opinion and that's the Omar ending. Every pyramid system that has ever been built has fallen as it's inherent in the system. (Illuminati ending).... I think the ApostleCorp's Great Advance would be quite a mess. Consider how schizophrenics act and consider how many people would act like that. The common man would revolt. The Knights Templar's wouldn't be able to do it. They didn't have the numbers and opposition would be too great. Even if they did the dark ages to ended.

minus0ne
8th Oct 2008, 19:55
I wasn't trying to, but hopefully next time he won't be so gullible and descend into the unintentionally surreal world of youtube conspiracy videos and Alex Jones turds.

His instincts to search Zeitgeist were correct. He just didn't check the date on the movie and compare it to the date of the game or explore the word more.

As for the move, being atheist they didn't understand the religious parts of the message, but they did OK. It's creation was more important then it's content. It started a dialogue.

It doesn't solve our need for competition but that could take any form. Like the race for greatness.

There is a Muslim video that says about the same thing that I bumped into.. Golden Age if I remember correctly.

People that follow their instincts or the Zeitgeist put their money in commodities as they knew what was coming. This process is repetitive and has caused those with finely tunned instincts to rise. As those that follow first, lead.

This sort of stuff is put in Dx as it's part of the story, but as bread crumbs. It doesn't throw it in peoples face and is subtle, but thats why people are pulled into the story. Their instincts tell them there is something here.

So do we solve our problems or do we wait for a Deus(God) to solve them for us. Solutions that come at the last minuet are rarely the best possible solutions.

In Deus Ex you are asked to make a hard decision at the last minuet. Because of the rushed nature only one of those endings wouldn't work for a beginning in my opinion and that's the Omar ending. Every pyramid system that has ever been built has fallen as it's inherent in the system. (Illuminati ending).... I think the ApostleCorp's Great Advance would be quite a mess. Consider how schizophrenics act and consider how many people would act like that. The common man would revolt. The Knights Templar's wouldn't be able to do it. They didn't have the numbers and opposition would be too great. Even if they did the dark ages to ended.
Okay now you're just talking in tongues... or talking about IW as if it's the only Deus Ex game, which is a creepy thought if ever there was one :p

And, seriously, you're not making a lot of sense. People that follow the Zeitgeist put their money in commodities... what? You're obviously attributing a whole lot to the term Zeitgeist, which just means the general cultural, intellectual and moral climate of any particular era.

Romeo
8th Oct 2008, 22:10

When hacking computers and reading up on potentially incriminating emails, it was funny how you could do it while the villain was sitting there like a lemon.:lol:
Yes boys, play nice or I'll beat you senseless. :D

Romeo
8th Oct 2008, 22:17

Anyone else notice the Narrator in the movie sounds like a cocktail of various voices from Deus Ex? lol

"The banks are fighting an Invisible War against the people." Yes.

MrP
9th Oct 2008, 23:49

I think a nice touch would be to find a shelf (or wall-safe?) in an apartment or something with a collection of classic video games, including but not limited to -

Deus Ex and Deus Ex 3 (obvious omission intentional/optional *ahem* ;)).
The Tomb Raider series (including Underworld and/or perhaps a forthcoming release if there's one in the pipeline at the time of release - once again, omissions optional).
Thief 1, 2... (& 4? - see above).
Any others, permission dependant (even if it's just a nod to potential influences* from the devs' own personal game libraries or side projects).

*after the similarities mentioned elsewhere, I think it would be a cool gesture to show at least the spines of FFVII and DNF** in with these. :whistle:
**and/or perhaps a copy of PC Zone or somesuch with an exclusive DNF preview cover (coming really soon now, honest)... :D

Plenty of potential for easter eggs, anyway. :cool:

Mindmute
10th Oct 2008, 00:10
A nice Easter Egg/nod at the cyberpunk genre would be for a chapter or two of "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" to be in the game.

Jxb1a
10th Oct 2008, 00:49
Flash drives could also be a good way of finding pictures, documents, and the such...

For example,

If you were to go into some dude's office and search it. You could open one desk drawer, and find a flash drive with personal data. Hehe or maybe even flash drives that are still in the computer itself.

I think a good article to write about would be the current economic crisis of 2008. It would fit the theme of a "collapse," and maybe there could be a reference to our economic crisis. I think it would tie in fine IMO.

Abram730
10th Oct 2008, 07:45
I wasn't trying to, but hopefully next time he won't be so gullible and descend into the unintentionally surreal world of youtube conspiracy videos and Alex Jones turds.

Okay now you're just talking in tongues... or talking about IW as if it's the only Deus Ex game, which is a creepy thought if ever there was one :p

And, seriously, you're not making a lot of sense. People that follow the Zeitgeist put their money in commodities... what? You're obviously attributing a whole lot to the term Zeitgeist, which just means the general cultural, intellectual and moral climate of any particular era.

geist would be better translated as spirit-mind, as the word goes deeper, in that it's more like
The "pneuma" or "spirit" in Gnosticism
Pneuma, a concept of Christian pneumatology
Shen (Chinese "spirit; god")

examples would be
Zeitgeist, the spirit of the time or collective unconscious.
Heiliger Geist refers to the Holy Spirit.
poltergeist, the mischievous ghosts.

wiki(Weltgeist, the world spirit concept designates an idealistic principle of world explanation, which can be found from the beginnings of philosophy up to more recent time. The concept of world spirit was already accepted by the idealistic schools of ancient Indian philosophy, whereby one explained objective reality as its product. (See metaphysical objectivism) In the early philosophy of Greek antiquity, Socrates, Plato and Aristotle all paid homage, amongst other things, to the concept of world spirit. Hegel later based his philosophy of history on it.)

So to say Zeitgeist is the general cultural, intellectual and moral climate misses that it's application is only to the past and not the present. If Zeitgeist didn't have such a duel meaning then it could be applied to the present and that's not the case, because what causes it is subjective and ever changing. It is emergent in nature. You can however speak objectively about it after it happens by pointing to the results.

Would I be correct in saying your comment about me "talking in tongues" would mean you noted the duel meaning I used and that it violated some atheistic religious believe structure? If so just take "People that follow the Zeitgeist put their money in commodities" to mean that financial markets run on sentiment and people noted the social sentiment and applied it to investments. This wouldn't fit your partial reality. Other then that being deliberate in nature it would be close to what I was saying and subtracts the duality.

Also

Talking about Zeitgeist in relation to Deus Ex. Zeitgeist is best known in relation to Hegel's philosophy of history. Hegelin dialectic is a control process attributed to the Illuminati.

Hegel, the Media, 'Conspiracy Theories' and You.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNmeTc0N_k

Abram730
10th Oct 2008, 08:19
Flash drives could also be a good way of finding pictures, documents, and the such...

For example,

If you were to go into some dude's office and search it. You could open one desk drawer, and find a flash drive with personal data. Hehe or maybe even flash drives that are still in the computer itself.

I think a good article to write about would be the current economic crisis of 2008. It would fit the theme of a "collapse," and maybe there could be a reference to our economic crisis. I think it would tie in fine IMO.

Good idea.

Speaking of the real collapse and that 700 billion dollar bail out plan.
Americans got punked
http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/9/29/33949/4075

El_Bel
15th Oct 2008, 16:06
Replace your useless tool with a HardOn3000(tm). You will never let her down again.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Dentonas/Mary_Lou_Cook_1858230514.jpg
Now available for older ages as well. Grandma deserves a sex life too old man!

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 16:24
Replace your useless tool with a HardOn3000(tm). You will never let her down again.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Dentonas/Mary_Lou_Cook_1858230514.jpg
Now available for older ages as well. Grandma deserves a sex life too old man!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And yet...

El_Bel
15th Oct 2008, 17:04
:eek: :eek: :eek:

And yet...

:D :D :D

and yet... what?

Jerion
15th Oct 2008, 17:06
:D :D :D

and yet... what?

That advertisement needs to go in DX3. Now. :lol:

El_Bel
15th Oct 2008, 17:10
Thanks man :cool:

phlebas
22nd Oct 2008, 12:43
If there's going to be graffiti in game, I want to be able to make one myself, albeit on limited surfaces...

Now that I think about it, there should be an 'internet' within the game with some level of interactivity with the player.

El_Bel
22nd Oct 2008, 12:48
Well if you want internet in the game, create some pages that could be used!! That way it will be easier for the developers to put them in a computer, if they want but dont have the time to put them in themselves. Thats what this thread is all about.

GmanPro
30th Oct 2008, 00:06
"A good library, worth it's weight in gold." :D

LKB
1st Nov 2008, 02:13
From the surface of the Sun Jules Welles reports;

Y’know, stuff happens. A lot of stuff happens. Like when you bite your tongue, and it turns out it’s a brick, or when you raise a chinchilla, then realize you’ve raised a chinchilla army. Or, when, just yesterday, I managed to find, after waking, that I had squeezed a 747 through my retina.

But back on topic.

I sit here, wondering how long it will take before my internet bills pile up to the point where they decide to pull the plug on my connection (though them taking the trouble to make a wire between earth and here is a compliment of the highest order), or whether I actually believe in Harvey Dent, or I just pretend to so that I can walk around hospitals wearing a nurses’ outfit, or if I hate Jack Thompson, or if I just hate his actions. It’s one or the other.

Anyway; Chinchilla armies. I wonder to this day if there is a single person that does not quake in their undergarments at the mere thought of such a monstrous gathering of these savage creatures.

In most countries, having a Chinchilla army is illegal, punishable by forty lashes, followed by two-hundred and nine years in solitary confinement, then followed immediately by death by toe, and failing that, death by props from the eighties, and failing that, death by black and white Paper Mache giant tarantula with R2-D2s head.

In the very few countries where Chinchilla armies are permissible, 46 years, nine days, and 2 seconds of experience in wrestling the Norwegian Rhino Bodybuilders League, all the while doing the rumba with a giraffe on a pole with a height of 17 metres and a diameter of 4 centimeters, whil holding the planet Mercury on ones index finger.

1772 people currently have license to raise a Chinchilla army.

Of those 1772 armies, 2 have been used. Immediately afterwards, 19 countries were wiped off the planet.

Aquiring a license to raise a single Chinchilla, sans reproductive orifi, requires the actual person to have been neutered both a minimum and maximum of 7 times, and have been shave thrice as a monkey-elephant-alien hybrid.

The only person in history to own a Chinchilla with reproductive orifi intact is John Malkovich.

Don’t support Chinchillas.

Jules Welles is a delusional sociopath who lives in a darkened basement in Africa, in a constant state of comatose, pumped full of morphine twice every hour on the hour, and is prone to violent outbursts toward copies of “The Odessa File”.
He also quite likes Simply Tea.

arcanum
4th Dec 2008, 19:11
Deus ex had loads of in-game reading,...and it made the game all the more interesting, but aside from the ambient music which was FREAKIN' AWSOME, there is little if any "interactive" audio(music) such as radios or phones, that would provide information,..(news broadcasts, live streams, anwsering machine's messages--like in F.E.A.R) they could serve the same purpose as the datacubes, newspaper articles or book extracts, only in a different media, so that the in-game reading wouldn't "get old", if thats even possible. I'm not saying that every other "bit of information" should be given as radio-news instead of read-ins, but one out of ten would be nice, you know, too add diversity.

Yargo
4th Dec 2008, 19:41
Deus ex had loads of in-game reading,...and it made the game all the more interesting, but aside from the ambient music which was FREAKIN' AWSOME, there is little if any "interactive" audio(music) such as radios or phones, that would provide information,..(news broadcasts, live streams, anwsering machine's messages--like in F.E.A.R) they could serve the same purpose as the datacubes, newspaper articles or book extracts, only in a different media, so that the in-game reading wouldn't "get old", if thats even possible. I'm not saying that every other "bit of information" should be given as radio-news instead of read-ins, but one out of ten would be nice, you know, too add diversity.

Radio would be cool as long isn't like the god-awful loop on fallout 3. The songs were cool up until the 100th time listening to it in the first 3hrs!:mad2:

GmanPro
4th Dec 2008, 20:22
Meh... it was more annoying in FEAR than cool. I got tired of sitting there for 2 minutes listening to the damn radio or stupid recordings because I knew they weren't going to actually say anything useful. But I listened to them anyway, just in case.

I'd prefer to have the same info terminals like the ones in DX1. They really helped to add immersion. Especially when they talked about JC and what he was doing.

jordan_a
4th Dec 2008, 22:58
When I talked to the lady writer, I couldn't know anything about the story, but I remember her telling me something like "There will be lots of reading". :thumbsup:

i_is_a_moose
18th Dec 2008, 22:39
As we all recall, throughout both DX games, books were frequently found in all the office spaces and living rooms, and they formed an interesting backdrop of added depth to the environment. I just started this thread just to see if anyone has cool ideas they'd like to see in faux-print in game, ever hopeful someone at EM would see this and add it to DX3 (fingers crossed).

My recommendation is Dylan Thomas. I think it would be awesome to be sneaking around in some office, and you see a book lying around. upon close inspection, you find it had "And Death Shall Have No Dominion", or "Do Not go Gentle into that Good Night" inside.

"They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion."

InGroove2
18th Dec 2008, 22:51
how about from Animal Farm

'the hand is the distinguishing mark of a man"

i_is_a_moose
18th Dec 2008, 23:09
how about from Animal Farm

'the hand is the distinguishing mark of a man"

Excellent choice. I like the idea of having the text form a commentary of the situation. Upton Sinclair's The Jungle does now come to mind.

Spyhopping
18th Dec 2008, 23:49
Jacobs shadow was a good addition, it had a nice style and offered a few hints of what DX could have read like if it had been a book.

NK007
19th Dec 2008, 12:42
Dante's Inferno?

Jerion
19th Dec 2008, 17:09
Bump for merger!

hem dazon 90
19th Dec 2008, 22:52
Fantastic idea!
Interaction with newspapers, datacubes, books, emails etc was the part of Deus Ex I believe really made the game stand out from the rest and something I fear will be simplified once again (as it was in Invisible War) to cater for the less thorough console players.

im offended:mad:

Spyhopping
20th Dec 2008, 01:21
^ I'm a console player half of the time because I can't afford a good gaming PC right now. Comments like that don't ever offend me because it is true- when compared to PC gamers, console gamers are more interested in button bashing and less deep games. Therefore console games are generally made to cater for these demands.

i_is_a_moose
20th Dec 2008, 19:59
Another symbolic text for use could also be "Rime of The Ancient Mariner" (I didn't misspell "rhyme" by the way, that's how it's spelt in the poem)

What I find similar between "Rime..." and Deus ex 3, judged purely from our story-related speculation, is in how the mariner kills the Albatross that is guiding his ship, and so the crew tie the albatross' body around his neck as a reminder of how he has doomed the crew. Likewise, if Adam Jensen were to somehow be involved in MJ12's rise to power, as per speculation, he is comparable to the mariner, unwittingly dooming the world to depressed 2052, and bleak 2072.

As I said, this is based purely on speculation in previous threads, but the association seems sound.

Kaigypsy
20th Dec 2008, 23:53
Hey I really like that idea of finding journals by the folks of DE1 like Jamie Reyes or even a young Walton Simons. Can we perhaps have our guy meet up with a young-ish, wet behind the ears still Alex Jacobson. I think he had a role that wasn't really spelled out in DE1 but you know he had done some pretty heavy stuff early on before UNATCO. Be nice to see him as he is just coming up as a supreme Hacker. I won't hold my breath though.
I don't remember hearing it mentioned but are we going to see towards the end of the DE3 or hear about the battle of the first NSF group? I remember listening to the two homeless guys talking and one was an ex-member. What happened in that incident? :scratch:

Emails, data cubes, the books, people's conversations between each other about one thing or another... all captured my attention. Perhaps in his travels our guy could find bits and pieces of the Order's fragmented beginnings through the books mentioned by her holiness. Maybe even Beth DuClare planted that seed in her daughter's head or she left a data cube on how to creat a new world should the old one be destroyed through other's hands. I have a feeling that neither Nicolette or Chad had the forsight to create the WTO or the Order without someone pulling their strings in the beginning once the Collapse happened. DE3 could have the misgivings of some Illuminati members including some of the old guard like Beth who could have planned for along with Everette "just in case" incidents like the Collapse.
:whistle:

Radius86
26th Dec 2008, 20:37
I don't mind the idea of rented video games or even movies for that matter. Remember Paul Denton renting 'Blue Harvest' the shooting name for Star Wars?

El_Bel
12th Mar 2009, 16:55
Augmented Powerhouse was formed in 2021 when Derrick Littrell a 15 yo kid, after 3 months of his brother teaching him to play some old metallica song in his guitar he decided that he wanted to form a band to cover songs from his favorite bands. He than sweet talked David Hickman, a friend 2 years older than him to start playing drums again, after 4 years of not playing. Soon they decided that they needed more members. They have putted adds who were answered by the bassist Sean Knuttbraker and lead guitarist John Humster. The band recorded a few songs and had a little success at local concerts.

Their life changed when Derrick a night at the grocery store were he worked an armed robberer shot him in the shoulder. He lost to much of his blood and the doctors barely kept him alife. But his left hand died. The doctors installed an augmented arm. They programmed it to make all the stuff Derrick needed for his everyday life."Can we program it to play guitar?" The doctors informed him of the ARS augmentation reserch facility, a center where scientists tried to make augmentations work in new ways. After six months of research, Derrick got his new hand that could play guitar and ARS had the patend that made them rich.

When he got back, his band almost got disbanded. Derrick got them back together and he demonstrated what his new hand could do. The band started touring again but soon they understood where left behind in comparison with Derrick. Derrick himself got some problems with the rythm part. His right hand couldnt play as fast as the left. So the band took a trip to ARS to get their augmentations too. ARS has puted together the Band Series. Their songs got three times faster. They have putted out their first real album as Augmented Powerhouse in 2023 which started to get some major success. They toured for almost two years. When the long tour was over they had to write new songs. The process was harder than expected. It was in December of 2024 that Humster got his eyes and ears augmented. Those augmentations helped him by colored harmonically correct notes. New songs came very fast. In the next 2 years they released 3 albums and had 4 worldwide tours. The life of the band is so full that they have not seen or talked to their families for 8 years.

Waiting for critique. If you find out a spelling or grammar error point it out. Thanks.

G-Machine
18th Mar 2009, 22:15
Jacob's Shadow and The Man Who Was Thursday were awesome in DX1, especially Jacob's Shadow. The extracts were a great ironic parallel to the story. Are any book extracts going to be added into tDX3 for the player to find and read? What books does anyone want to see put into the new game, any ideas?

a house
18th Mar 2009, 22:19
I'd like them to use real-life books, like The Man Who Was Thursday, to foreshadow the game's plot.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2009, 22:42
You have no idea how long I searched for an actual copy of Jacob's Shadow before reading that it didn't exist. :(

I really liked those books. All kinds of reading in DX actually. It is a great way to add a bit to the story without interrupting it. They can do all sorts of exposition in reading material without influencing the pace of the story.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Mar 2009, 22:51
Jacob's Shadow and The Man Who Was Thursday were awesome in DX1, especially Jacob's Shadow. The extracts were a great ironic parallel to the story. Are any book extracts going to be added into tDX3 for the player to find and read? What books does anyone want to see put into the new game, any ideas?

I merged your thread. :)

Yeah, I'd like to see plenty of books - old and new.
I'm not too sure paper books will be so common around 2030 though...

FrankCSIS
18th Mar 2009, 23:06

We're talking, what, 20 years from now, roughly? Many newspapers may have gone down the electronic media path, but I wouldn't count paper books out. Unless trees, for some reason, suddenly become rarer than oil, books are not going anywhere within a generation.

How many blogs, today, are being turned into books, for the obvious novelty reason? It's not considered literature until it's printed, and that won't change overnight. Technical manuals and high school/college scholar material are likely to lose territory over time though, I will grant you that, in richer societies at least.

I'm just saying, when making predictions about the future, it's always safer to bet on continuity.

AaronJ
18th Mar 2009, 23:06
So, just to be clear, these things can be stored in your datavault, right? You're not just expected to memorize/write down the code and run back to the keypad?

Mindmute
18th Mar 2009, 23:07
I merged your thread. :)

Yeah, I'd like to see plenty of books - old and new.

If they were in DX1, they should be in DX3.
It is closer to our date than DX1 was and I doubt the Renaissance movement would mean the end of all paperback novels!

Honestly, this whole digital vs paper is already an old debate nowadays, the fact is that most people, myself included, don't really care if digital copies of books can be as portable as paper ones.

Nothing is ever going to replace the new book smell or running my fingers through the book to skip to page I was reading.
Paper is the only way for me :D

AaronJ
18th Mar 2009, 23:09
On the DX timeline, it's specified that The Wheels Come Off by Ophelia Carter is published in 2013. I expect to see that if they've done their homework.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Mar 2009, 23:12
If they were in DX1, they should be in DX3.
It is closer to our date than DX1 was and I doubt the Renaissance movement would mean the end of all paperback novels!

Honestly, this whole digital vs paper is already an old debate nowadays, the fact is that most people, myself included, don't really care if digital copies of books can be as portable as paper ones.

Nothing is ever going to replace the new book smell or running my fingers to the pages to skip to page I was reading.

Yeah, sorry... this was discussed before in another thread (can't remember which one now). I guess I'm assuming that the devs could make changes to DX3, so if what we know today kind of rules out what we saw in DX1, they might just decide to make general changes.

But I agree, books are nice items to possess. :D

jamhaw
18th Mar 2009, 23:51
I think they should keep the tradition of having a new Jacob book introduced per game. EDIT: What should it be called? We already have Jabob's War and Jacob's Shadow.

G-Machine
19th Mar 2009, 14:26
You have no idea how long I searched for an actual copy of Jacob's Shadow before reading that it didn't exist. :(

lol Me too, it should definatly be made into a proper book or series or something. Maybe a prequel could be called Jacob's Conscience, or Jacob's Peril? They should definatly include a Jacob book of some kind. Also bring back Time Magazine. In DX1 Bob Hope was Time Magazine's man of the year, in the prequal Time could be used more extensively to cover the political situation and background setting.

facepalm
19th Mar 2009, 15:43
Also bring back Time Magazine. In DX1 Bob Hope was Time Magazine's man of the year, in the prequal Time could be used more extensively to cover the political situation and background setting.

Time magazine?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/Build_more_tanks/milleniumpage.jpg

Mindmute
19th Mar 2009, 17:48
Also bring back Time Magazine. In DX1 Bob Hope was Time Magazine's man of the year

Time magazine?

Bob Hope? Man of the year?

Ninjerk
19th Mar 2009, 17:57
Nothing is ever going to replace the new book smell or running my fingers through the book to skip to page I was reading.

I have never wanted to read an e-book. I can read a book for anywhere from 2 to 14 hours at a time (found that out in college) if the book is good enough. I'm weary, though, of any stretch of staring at a computer screen for longer than 12 hours (I get headaches).

facepalm
19th Mar 2009, 18:07
Bob Hope? Man of the year?

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/Build_more_tanks/hopepagecopy.jpghttp://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/Build_more_tanks/milleniumpage.jpg

The resemblance is almost uncanny! :eek:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Mar 2009, 18:11
I have never wanted to read an e-book. I can read a book for anywhere from 2 to 14 hours at a time (found that out in college) if the book is good enough.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Audio books I can listen to are fine but the thought of reading an e-book completely bores me... and its not an intentional thought, its just the way it is. Weird really, but there you go. Books rule! :cool:

AaronJ
19th Mar 2009, 19:59
I agree with the e-book thing, and the scent thing as well for that matter. I've been meaning to read Sheldon Pacotti's work but I really can't do it on the computer.

JCD2052
24th Mar 2009, 17:38
There has been talk about a thread like this for a while, so I will just go ahead and make one.

To quote Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex

Just in case the developers need some extra material to incorporate into their game lets have some suggestions regarding any of the following:

- Names for magazines
- Articles to read about in magazines
- Book titles (real or imagined):
Give names of books that can be used, just like they used The Man Who Was Thursday, The Art Of War, etc in DX1. Maybe also give a description of that book for us.
- Datacube entries:
Interesting conversations, situation analysis', messages, etc.
- Emails
Just be creative and see what you can come up with to go into the game that will add to the overall experience in terms of reading material.

I'm sure the dev's will love to hear some constructive ideas coming from the community. Let's pretend it is a competition. The winner will receive a cookie and a PM from one of the mods saying "well done". Lol.

So, let's hear what you have to say. And most importantly, have fun and be nice :)

I loved reading throught all the great novels and datacubes in deus ex, i hope there are plenty in deux3, Great idea for a thread DXeXodus.

El_Bel
24th Mar 2009, 18:49
Will you people start creating art?

Ghostface
25th Mar 2009, 01:30
Minority Report:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj8IzzqaVUs

Real Life:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAm3KihFho

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22332/?a=f

GmanPro
25th Mar 2009, 01:35
I doubt it. I mean the newspaper part. But no doubt the world's upper crust will have all sorts of cool high tech lying around their homes.

WhatsHisFace
25th Mar 2009, 01:55
Yes Eidos Montreal please make this Minority Report: The Game.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/WhatsHisFace911/punch.gif

Jerion
25th Mar 2009, 05:51
Didn't see anything quite like that.

GmanPro
25th Mar 2009, 05:59
They had the public news terminals, KotOR style. But I'm sure the very wealthy have stuff like this that they probably take for granted. Although in the DX world, instead of ultra thin screens they just have holographic monitor displays.

Ghostface
25th Mar 2009, 17:49

Do you recall such newspapers in DX1?

graphics weren't available to do that in a game.

Blade_hunter
26th Mar 2009, 14:42
graphics weren't available to do that in a game.

Nope PCs were underpowered to manage those graphics and better textures.
They needed to make some graphics concessions to allow the things we can do in DX, the great levels, etc

gamer0004
26th Mar 2009, 18:40
Nope PCs were underpowered to manage those graphics and better textures.
They needed to make some graphics concessions to allow the things we can do in DX, the great levels, etc

According to Warren Spector himself, they acctually didn't have to make concessions on graphics, except for some huge levels he had originally in mind (like a huge prisoner camp with 2000+ npcs or the White House in full scale).

AaronJ
26th Mar 2009, 20:28
or the White House in full scale).

I found out a while back that that is the other cut level, alongside the moon base. The NPCs that would have been featured in the level are still in the game (The First Family, Nathan Madison, etc.)

Ninjerk
27th Mar 2009, 11:44
The Texas mission sounded like it could have been fun.

Ghostface
27th Mar 2009, 18:22
If we have flexible displays in 5 years and deus ex doesnt, the game will look outdated.

Jerion
27th Mar 2009, 18:32
^^ The thing is, you can have flexible displays but you also need to make them practical and in everyday use. Holographic displays are the next step after flexible displays, and those seemed fairly widespread in DX 1. Look closely at the computer.

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deusex/majestic12/58.jpg

IOOI
3rd Apr 2009, 02:41
News story for DX3.

<starts here>
And in the news today: a local transit bus carrying 36 passengers crashed through a coffee house at 9 AM totally destroying the façade.
18 people got injured and 3 were killed in this accident. Reports from the Police says that the most possible cause is a mechanical failure in the breaks or in the steering system.

A passenger in the bus claims that moments before the crash, he heard the driver mumbling something about not beeing able to move is arms, thus coroborating the chances that it was indeed a mechanical problem with the steering system.
Other witnesses says that it was total confusion, and people couldn't see where to step, because of the dust cloud from some cement bags that were hit by the bus, maiking it difficult to aid some of the people inside the establishment.

Incredibly the first ones to arrive on the disaster scene where the staff from the bus company that immediately started to assist the driver.
The coffee house owner, that had the luck to escape as the bus smashed through the counter, says that "they arrived almost immediately (faster than the paramedics) and only assisted the driver. They covered the driver's seat with a white cloth and apparently started to free him up. I could not see how the driver was because it was too mutch dust in the air. The paramedics arrived 7 minutes later and assisted all the other victims. I... I was so lucky."

Another witness, a young mother, was horrified because she almost lost her son: "He went to the counter to get a cake and he... barely escaped... the bus crashed exactly in the place where he was sitting instants before. He was so scared... I had to kept him with me in a corner. He didn´t stop saying 'look mommy, there's some strange liquid spilling from the man's arms'... poor child, he had never seen blood in his life!".

The bus company staff didn't comment much about the situation as they are expecting a full report about the accident. Strangely they carried the driver in the companys vehicule instead of the paramedics. They declared that the agreement they have with the insurance company states that the victim must be treated in a private hospital.

The remaining victims of this tragic accident were carried to the local hospital.
What a tragic morning for the locals.

Mat. Darlington - Minute news.
<ends here>

So what was the cause?:hmm:

Let the conspiracy begin!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update from the previous news story.

<starts here>
With regard to the unfortunate bus accident occured in the previous day, that took 3 lives and injured 18 people, some new information from anonimous but credible source, has been advanced. Apparently the cause of the accident was neither a mechanical failure in the brakes or in the steering system, it was indeed a mechanical failure in the prosthetic arms of the driver.

Following the bus company vehicule after the accident, our source discovered that the driver was carryied not to a private hospital but to a company specialising in bio-mechanical augmentations. The information gathered by our source indicates that the driver was testing some mechanical prostheses prototype for the company. This test served to demonstrate the emergent technology of robotic prostheses that are controlled by the users mind. Apparently the driver was chosen as experiment subject derived from the loss of both arms in a car accident and was beeing rehabilitated to work with his former bus company employer.

Although this type of technology brings hope to those who want to regain an active and social status/part/life in our society, we have to question ourselfs if it is thrustworthy and safe enough for those around and , obviously, for the user itself.
More information about this case will be cleared in future time as we expect to make an interview with the bus company.

Mat. Darlington - Minute news.
<ends here>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conspiracy theory - kill/eliminate P.D.?

<starts here>
Phone call/Voice mail from "The source" to Mat. Darlington:

"I Mat., its me! You know who I am so don't mention my name if you answer right now. I was able to infiltrate inside the company and got my hands... I mean my eyes on some new info. You wont believe what I have to tell you. This is the real stuff man, like some classic movie or tv series from the 90s... its... wait I think I heard something... (puts down the phone)... (silence)... (picks up the phone) sorry had to open the entrance door, its some one I was waiting for. Let me see... where was I?! Yes, about the company. I discovered that the thecnology used in the prosthetic arms of the driver is not that recent. From what i've read in the reports it was more than tested, it showed above 98% of efficiency and reliability. I'm starting to think that this was engendred to... you know... "scratch someone from the map", eliminate someone. You know? Like in those classics, to "Just forget about it!"... heh-heh! Well back to the point, I also discovered information about the people in the coffe house, saw some initials in the files, 'P.D.', maybe their target, and something about testing the "Primary Unit" in a real-life situation. Don't know what's that about? But you know me! I never give up. It's such a thrill!!! I have to try again before they discover my... (arrrghhhh)... (phone:biiiiiiip)."
<ends here>

P.S: Please check spelling and grammar, my english is very rusty.

El_Bel
11th Apr 2009, 22:45
Hey, sweet job man.

Kaigypsy
12th Apr 2009, 04:42
News story for DX3.

P.S: Please check spelling and grammar, my english is very rusty.

THIS! Excellent! These are the kinds of stories that made DE1 so interesting. I'd also like to see some kind of follow up later on in the game to mysteries like this that might/can lead to easter eggs.

Gary_Savage
12th Apr 2009, 05:29
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Audio books I can listen to are fine but the thought of reading an e-book completely bores me... and its not an intentional thought, its just the way it is. Weird really, but there you go. Books rule! :cool:

I would have suggested e-paper (I read about it being researched at MIT, some years back) for DX3, but then, again, DX1 did not have that, so I guess this would not work out.

I would love to have e-paper in real life, though: it might save some trees, and I would still be able to flip through pages during my daily commute. I would also be able to enlarge text. Given a large enough sheet of e-paper, we would be able to get rid off projector screens in class rooms (which used to strain my eyes).

JCD
12th Apr 2009, 13:01
I am also in favor of e-paper (check this vid @ 1:30 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5u3axLhMqE). I know it was not implemented in DX, but I believe we can make an exception and add it in DX3. It looks cool and it can give us much material to read.

This of course has a catch - if the dev team desides to implement it, they MUST do it right. MANY articles to read from, even a sub-plot hidden inside the newspaper via clues the expert gamers will find (they can have Mr.K do that :D :D :D ).

(wow, I liked that last idea a lot :D - it can be like the Majestic Project EA had back in 2001)

It should be like Morrowind, were reading was one of my favorite parts of the game - LOTS of interesting stories, lots of text (I hated Oblivion for making the books so...simplified and small).

I honestly think that if they implement an e-paper in DX3 and they do it "right", many of us will be really pleased :cool: :cool: :cool:

KSingh77
12th Jun 2009, 03:25
I would like to see he e-paper tech in this game,hopfully use it check our log,objectives etc.

serrath
12th Jun 2009, 03:31
I found out a while back that that is the other cut level, alongside the moon base.

They were gonna make a military base out of a soundstage?