PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Tutorial Needed

rockiroads
10th Jan 2014, 04:36
Are there any plans to implement a tutorial or training arena for the alpha? A basic tutorial on movements, special attacks and abilities for both humans and vampires would be very useful. I felt like I was thrown into the deep end of the pool without first being taught how to tread water :D

Drunkscottsman
10th Jan 2014, 06:13
I am almost 100% sure that by Open beta there will be a tutorial for abilities and movement.

TheIrtar
10th Jan 2014, 07:07
I imagine that there won't be a beta until the game gets very near to release. Most teams tend to put engine and mechanics before ease of life.

Don't get me wrong, a good tutorial is damn important to ensuring that the playerbase has a foundation to build off of. But right now, Nosgoth doesn't have players. Nosgoth has testers.

GeorgeCST
10th Jan 2014, 07:51
Actually Nosgoth is not your typical game where they build it, have a beta, then release with all features. It'll be more like Dota2 which has been in BETA for about 2 years until the "official release" - which is still incomplete. I believe they call it open development or something like that. They'll probably go into beta once they have server capacity and the basic game systems at 100%.

Monkeythumbz
10th Jan 2014, 09:11
Moving to Closed Alpha Gameplay discussion board.

Mariusby
17th Jan 2014, 18:58
Hey there!

I'm new in Nosgoth and when I' ve first tested the game I missed a tutorial.
Maybe I haven't seen it, but I'm really confused about some of the vampires abilities and when I' ve tried to learn them I didn't find anything. So If there isn't a tutorial I would put one for new players.

Finally, I propose melee class in humans, because as I see there are just range class and I think It's not balanced enough against vampires, who are all melee.
Maybe I'm wrong and I haven't noticed them as the tutorial ;)

PD: forgive my bad English :(

RainaAudron
17th Jan 2014, 19:00
Hello and welcome to the game. You can read about some useful tips for the game here: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7591

Tankerin
23rd Jan 2014, 19:22
So I was running across the map as a vampire and I had some issues climing around trees, and other such non wall objects.
Then as a Human I had a small issue with turning a corner too fast and getting stuck and saw a blue glitch in the floor 6ft wide.

I was unable to reliably recreate the issue at will as I was being attacked by the exicted members of the other team.

TL;DR I was wondering if we could have a Non-Combat mode so people could run and jump around looking for map issues and the such without fear of losing the war.

Monkeythumbz
23rd Jan 2014, 20:16
Moving to the private Closed Alpha board.

FunnyAsylum
8th Feb 2014, 01:37
so i just started playing, and had no idea what i was doing, i was watching my team mates climb up walls and i was stuck leaping over the map to get to the enemies, will a tutorial be put in the game?

Lomonop
10th Feb 2014, 13:20
They are planning to add a tutorial. However, it is part of a very long list.
In the meantime, I suggest you read this thread: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7591
and this one: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7932
to get some ideas on how to play.

Psyonix_Eric
10th Feb 2014, 17:29
Please keep discussion about the alpha contained to the alpha forums.

hirukaru
10th Feb 2014, 18:10
I want to add to Lomonop post that the topic nr: 7932 is back in development stage.
At the moment the posters are working on the known bug list to get that back up and running and after they will start fixing the FAQ.

All questions prior to the account change are still in that topic.

Monkeythumbz
10th Feb 2014, 22:39
I want to add to Lomonop post that the topic nr: 7932 is back in development stage.
At the moment the posters are working on the known bug list to get that back up and running and after they will start fixing the FAQ.

All questions prior to the account change are still in that topic.

Thanks for compiling, Hirukaru!

hirukaru
13th Feb 2014, 21:17
Thanks for compiling, Hirukaru!

Always my pleasure.
Will have some time this weekend to fix a part of the FAQ (after that I will continue with the bugslist I guess, bug list is a bit bigger job then expected).

Hope a admin/mod can remove the replies that are breaking the TO with the connecting replies from the same poster (CommunityEditors)

CoOkiedude
19th Feb 2014, 05:27
Plain and simple! I want one! NAO. Make it happen!!

In all seriousness, are there plans for such a thing? I know I would appreciate it very much. By practice mode I mean a mode where you can choose a map, invite a friend if you want to and then start the game.Before the game you can choose class/faction etc. and no stats would be recorded.

Basically I want to be able to practice certain things like aiming at specific spots with Jump or navigating that infernal spot in Sommerdamm that makes you bounce around like a pinball machine when Charging (the spot with the Sarafan statue and all the rubble).I can't do that in a game right now because I would be grieving my team and I don't want to do that.It would also help in getting to know map layouts more extensively.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already and I sincerely apologize if it has.Nonetheless I am 100% sure a lot of people ,especially in teams, would appreciate something like that.

Psyonix_Eric
19th Feb 2014, 05:50
We're working on a tutorial mode that combines a small tutorial as well as a sandbox scenario to just play around in.

CoOkiedude
19th Feb 2014, 06:13
We're working on a tutorial mode that combines a small tutorial as well as a sandbox scenario to just play around in.

I love you guys .:cheek:

Psyonix_Eric
19th Feb 2014, 07:41
Back at ya. :friends:

Vampmaster
19th Feb 2014, 10:24
Does this mean we'd get to wander around the levels without being in an actual match, so we can look at the environments and stuff? It would be a great way to introduce more of the lore into the game if a few collectibles were placed in this mode.

Like field reports or letters between the lieutenants.

Khalith
19th Feb 2014, 10:33

That would be awesome! I would also suggest letting us use that mode while we are in lobbies waiting for more people to join, that way we can mess around while we wait or get warmed up as it were.

Korevas
19th Feb 2014, 16:12
sandbox scenario to just play around in.

Maybe with a chance to try abilities/perks before buying them or just default loadouts?

I would also suggest letting us use that mode while we are in lobbies waiting for more people to join, that way we can mess around while we wait or get warmed up as it were.

Seconded.

Khalith
27th Feb 2014, 16:05
So I tried logging in, says it's still not live, down for maintenance, and the game shut down automatically. I understand the game servers to play aren't up yet, but isn't there any way to just stay on the main menu and wait for the servers to come up? Having to reboot the game every time is pretty annoying. Why can't we just sit in the main menu and wait?

lucinvampire
6th Mar 2014, 12:09
I know it’s been talked about their being a tutorial which has been confirmed…but I wondered if this will include or if there is the possibility of some kind of target practice mode? As in being able to get used to the weapons, aiming and spreads of them? Rather than just a tutorial as in “to climb a building hold spacebar – now you try” (or however your keys are set up as).

Anyway just a thought as I’d really love to be able to practice my shooting… :D

Inrezairo
6th Mar 2014, 19:24
I would second a practice area of some kind. I just got into Nosgoth today (Whoohoo!) but I'm not used to playing online and using the keyboard so a safe area for training would be great!

hirukaru
7th Mar 2014, 00:14
There will probably be a free create lobby/game.
This allows you to invite friends to practice without losing stuff.

Psyonix_Eric
7th Mar 2014, 02:19
Writing a tutorial requires a lot of work to handle all of the events, to make sure the various stages can be completed, etc. Our first goal with a tutorial is to at least get the basics in there for things like movement and traversal, to indicate what the buttons do, that kind of thing. We may roll out the tutorial in stages.

Jaikan
1st May 2014, 12:20
The game makes a lot of fun. But in my opinion there should be something like a training room. Although the skills are explained it is hard to lern them properly during fight.

cmstache
1st May 2014, 12:41
Check the blogpost for Day2 of the current series. Consider that a makeshift tutorial atm.

ParadoxicalOmen
1st May 2014, 13:48
The game makes a lot of fun. But in my opinion there should be something like a training room. Although the skills are explained it is hard to lern them properly during fight.

Wonder if the devs would be willing to make sort of a "free-play mode" or something. Where you can just basically fool around, test your abilities (see how they work) and explore the map.
I Agree it's not so cool to have to learn how they work the hard way (trying them out for the first times against experienced players) :D

Saranjivac
1st May 2014, 16:38
That is why you have a little something called "new recruit" lobbies.

Varulven
1st May 2014, 17:07
Wonder if the devs would be willing to make sort of a "free-play mode" or something. Where you can just basically fool around, test your abilities (see how they work) and explore the map.
I Agree it's not so cool to have to learn how they work the hard way (trying them out for the first times against experienced players) :D

THIS!^^

Psyonix_Eric
1st May 2014, 18:45
The current version of the tutorial, which is nearing completion, is meant to be a very basic introduction to the gameplay of Nosgoth. We'd ultimately like to expand upon it given enough time but for now we wanted to cover the basics - WASD key movement, sprinting, reloading, climbing walls, basic skills you have, etc. The goal of the tutorial in this stage is to help those players who may be completely new to Nosgoth, or even to shooters.

I think an open arena might be a good idea at some point, but I can't honestly give any answers as to when we might be able to make one or what the general timeline on it will be.

javine
1st May 2014, 18:46
i personally think it would be a good idea to have a practice room that you could enter into to try out builds and compare weapons
because when im running and gunning in a real match the .5 second difference in reload time from gun#1 to gun #2 is hard to notice
the practice room could just have an mock human or vampire to test on and maybe use the maps that are already out

Khalith
2nd May 2014, 02:53
I've been thinking about this mode more, is it possible to expand on the tutorial? Give players a "sandbox mode" of some kind so we can just practice our moves against an opposite faction NPC? Give us toggles like setting the class to constantly climb/run/defend/attack/etc.?

Irish880
16th May 2014, 17:06
This subject may already exist, but I didn't see it, so if it does, be gentle and know that I am sorry.

So I've been playing around on Nosgoth a little bit, plan on buying an Immortal Founder's pack here soon, but there is one thing i would LOVE to see in the game. A practice yard of sorts.

Now before you say "Just buy the 7-day item and try it out in game!" Hear me out...

There are classes I am just AWFUL with, Sentinel, Alchemist, Deceiver... And I find it is difficult to progress if you are playing against skilled people and you're handling the Class' skills like you're playing with your face instead of hands.
On top of that, I find that I see a small variety of items used in load-outs while in matches and I browse the store quite often to see if something peaks my interest, but I would love to try out the item prior to spending currency on it.

My personal example is in the Scout Class. There is an ability called Grappling Hook which allows you to ascend walls in certain spots quickly, giving you a high-ground advantage. Problem is it removes one of you nicest tools, an AoE damage ability. I would love to actually try it before I buy it. Give it a test run, as it were. I don't know if the Pros outweigh the Cons, and in a match it may not fit with my play-style at all.

My idea is something along the lines of a large open yard (something big enough for a Sentinel to fly around in effectively) with an obstacle course, target dummies, objects that can be swept up (targets for the Sentinel's Kidnap/Abduct to practice on), and perhaps a firing range to allow for the Scouts, Hunters, and Alchemists to up their accuracy.

This would be a solo instance, simply for trying out items/practicing a class.