PDA

View Full Version : Game Engine?

beatsnpieces
17th Aug 2008, 14:29
Has there been any word yet on what engine the game will use? I personally would love to see it on Gamebryo (Oblivion, Fallout 3) X-Ray (STALKER) or the Unreal Engine 3.

Larington
17th Aug 2008, 14:35
Its been discussed in other threads. Basically, and I have to be very careful how I type this so there isn't a misunderstanding.

The team working on DX3 and that on the latest Tomb Raider game are using the same in-house graphics engine. What this means is that, the TR team have their version which is a modified from the in-house version, and similarly, the DX3 team are working on their own version of the in-house graphics engine.

To put it another way, the misunderstanding I want to avoid is the idea that the DX3 team are using the TR engine, which they aren't (Well, not exactly - But essentially both games are developed off an original in house engine and will turn out completely different as a result).

EDIT: To put it another way:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=791590&postcount=14

beatsnpieces
17th Aug 2008, 14:57
Very cool, I didn't really expect them to be using an in-house engine as the first 2 DX games were using modified versions of the Unreal and Unreal Engine 2. I really can't wait for this game :D

Larington
17th Aug 2008, 15:06
At the very least the graphics should be very solid, purely based on how sexy looking the latest TR is, which is good, as it prevents elitist gamers being put off by merely average graphics and should hopefully expand the market for 'deeper' games a la DX1, the System Shocks and so on.

beatsnpieces
17th Aug 2008, 15:13
It will be interesting to see how they adapt a platformer engine for an RPG/shooter.

K^2
17th Aug 2008, 15:25
Very cool, I didn't really expect them to be using an in-house engine as the first 2 DX games were using modified versions of the Unreal and Unreal Engine 2. I really can't wait for this game :D
It would not be the worst of news if they continued the trend.

But the engine they are going to use should be fine.

jordan_a
17th Aug 2008, 15:50
We have several threads about the engine.

beatsnpieces
17th Aug 2008, 15:56
We have several threads about the engine.

So i've heard, but they really need to improve the search function as I didn't find a single relevant thread when I searched before posting.