OK EIDOS......

Pony up something new.

Today.

Now.

Or else.

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

drummindog
17th Aug 2008, 01:37
Probably not the best approach to use here.

Jerion
17th Aug 2008, 01:54
If you give us another piece of concept art, or a peek at that ViDoc(?) Rene showed us...

I'll give you guys the biggest shipment of caffiene-laced cookies you've ever seen.

Lo Bruto
17th Aug 2008, 04:06
Why screenshots?

Use your imagination. :rasp:

Igoe
17th Aug 2008, 05:17
Right now. At this moment. DX3 is the best it's going to be.

In your minds, you have it envisioned as the best game it can POSSIBLY be.

It is everything you hope, and more. It's whatever kind of game you want it to be.

As soon as stuff starts coming in, DX3 will be less like your perfect vision, and more like what the developers perfect vision is.

Take the time to savor DX3 at its best.

K^2
17th Aug 2008, 08:19

I'm actually trying to envision it as a very bad game. With attrocious graphics, poorly written dialog, no coherent story line, and abysmal gameplay.

This way, with every new screenshot I'll be able to see the game getting better and better, and on release, it will either blow me away, or at very least, not disapoint.

Overtime
17th Aug 2008, 09:27
I'm actually trying to envision it as a very bad game. With attrocious graphics, poorly written dialog, no coherent story line, and abysmal gameplay.

This way, with every new screenshot I'll be able to see the game getting better and better, and on release, it will either blow me away, or at very least, not disapoint.

Yes, but deep inside, even now your expecting it to be the best game ever created!

Tsumaru
17th Aug 2008, 09:36
I have no expectations or visions at all.

imported_van_HellSing
17th Aug 2008, 10:19
So where's that "possible screenshot"? :scratch:

jordan_a
17th Aug 2008, 10:33
I have no expectations or visions at all.
Absolutely. Guys, let them do their work and you yours. :)

In addition I think it was quite an interesting summer from Eidos, it's not like we haven't heard anything from them.

It's sunny outside, just go out and try to think of something else! :cool:

K^2
17th Aug 2008, 15:16
Yes, but deep inside, even now your expecting it to be the best game ever created!
I honestly don't think it will be the best game ever on any level. But yea, deep inside I really expect it to be great. I know it can be. I'm just not certain that somebody in upper management doesn't make some very dumb descision, making a potentially great game into just a meh game. So I'm keeping my expectations low.

Right now, the only companies I actually expect to deliver even before I know anything about the game are Blizzard, Id, and maybe Valve. These have proven again and again that they can do it fairly reliably. Anyone else involved, and it's not great until I have played it.

Overtime
17th Aug 2008, 18:21
I honestly don't think it will be the best game ever on any level. But yea, deep inside I really expect it to be great. I know it can be. I'm just not certain that somebody in upper management doesn't make some very dumb descision, making a potentially great game into just a meh game. So I'm keeping my expectations low.

Yeah, i guess thats how we're all feeling...

Kinda weird but ive only ever followed 2 games before release and they we're disappointments! (Oblivion and Deus Ex:IW, both on account of the storyline)

Im now following the release of two more...Fallout 3 and Deus Ex 3.

imported_van_HellSing
17th Aug 2008, 19:41
Again, can anyone explain that "possible screenshot" thing? Where is it? What is it?

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 03:45
@ van_HellSing: It is the possible concept art that is duscussed in one of the sticky threads above. Surely you have seen it. I think he means "artwork" and not "screenshot"

@ Everyone who does it: Please stop making threads about impatience. It is really getting old. Let Eidos do their jobs without you nagging the whole time. The next one shall be immediately closed.

imported_van_HellSing
18th Aug 2008, 07:56
Oh. So it's neither a screenshot nor "possible" :rasp:

Which reminds me, why does the sticky still say "possible" if it's pretty much proven to be authentic? (If it weren't it wouldn't be stickied anyway, would it :p)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Aug 2008, 07:57
@ Everyone who does it: Please stop making threads about impatience. It is really getting old. Let Eidos do their jobs without you nagging the whole time. The next one shall be immediately closed.

Can't you close this one too? :) :p

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 09:05
Can't you close this one too? :) :p

I am leaving this one open for now. I don't want to be too mean to the members. So I just rather issued a warning stating that from now on these types of threads get closed. :p

jordan_a
18th Aug 2008, 09:31
@ Everyone Please stop making threads about impatience. It is really getting old. The next one shall be immediately closed.:thumbsup:

René
18th Aug 2008, 13:17
I actually don't mind this thread because I see where Joseph Manderley's Corpse is coming from with his request.

I can't promise anything in-game right now, but one of our Senior Artists was at SIGGRAPH (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/) last week so I'll try to pry some pictures from him!

imported_van_HellSing
18th Aug 2008, 13:45
Sounds awesome, René! :cool:

René
20th Aug 2008, 13:09
Ask and ye shall receive. Well okay, not all the time because that could get really annoying!

Our Senior Character Artist, Sébastien Legrain (http://sebleg.free.fr/), gave a ZBrush presentation at SIGGRAPH (http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/) last week. Here are two pics and if you look closely, you might see some interesting details...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/ares7777/DSCN4012.jpg http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/ares7777/DSCN4003.jpg

Augmented Cactuar
20th Aug 2008, 13:12
Fantastic! Finally something tengible :D

Lovely details on the gun btw. I wish I went to SIGGRAPH, being a fellow Zbrush user myself I would have enjoyed watching Seb give his demo. And also see XSI v7, yummy ;)

René
20th Aug 2008, 15:24
Lovely details on the gun btw.

You have no idea! I was only allowed to post this version or the Eidos police (i.e. my boss) would come and arrest me. Just wait until you see that sucker textured, lit, and running in the engine! :rasp:

jcp28
20th Aug 2008, 15:25
I wish I could tell what that building is, but the shade that's used for obscures the details. The only thing I can really say is that it's not American, because I can't think of an American building that's tall with what appears to be columns down the sides like that.

gamer0004
20th Aug 2008, 17:31
It looks a bit French. I miss the rusty shutters and the useless little French balconies though. I guess those are the details they obscured :D

Seriously though, is this real DX3 stuff? In that case it will be a sequel, or maybe that gun is the most futuristic one of the game, like the Plasma rifle... Anyway, I sincerely hope this isn't the standard or this is going to be a prequel... It looks awesome, don't get me wrong, it's just a bit too futuristic...

Where's AaronJ when you need him?

imported_van_HellSing
20th Aug 2008, 18:23
I don't know about the gun being "too futuristic", we have stuff that almost looks like that today :P

Demiurge
20th Aug 2008, 19:06
I don't know about the gun being "too futuristic", we have stuff that almost looks like that today :P

I was going to say, have you seen the TAR-21 for example. As for the buildings, I have seen similar styles used in parts of Moscow, Paris and London, so there's something to think about. Now all we need is an agent of our own to infiltrate Eidos.

AaronJ
20th Aug 2008, 22:32
It looks a bit French. I miss the rusty shutters and the useless little French balconies though. I guess those are the details they obscured :D

Seriously though, is this real DX3 stuff? In that case it will be a sequel, or maybe that gun is the most futuristic one of the game, like the Plasma rifle... Anyway, I sincerely hope this isn't the standard of this is going to be a prequel... It looks awesome, don't get me wrong, it's just a bit too futuristic...

Where's AaronJ when you need him?

Here I are.

This is clearly an expansion of the assault gun. You can see the inspiration from the original, not how this grew into DX1's assault gun. This is another significant piece of defense towards DX3 being good.

Now all we need is an agent of our own to infiltrate Eidos.

Agent Amaro has done such a job, but he seems to have been neuralized.

ewanlaing
20th Aug 2008, 22:57
So both the gun and building are planned for the game?
Good stuff. I think that building is a good sign. Proper full buildings didn't feature too much in IW, and it seems very Dulclare Mansion-esque.

Defres
20th Aug 2008, 23:05
That weapon is clearly going to be held like for example, a P90 is held. (Just see the grip and the 2 holes, also the small "ramp" at the lower, 2nd gripcase shows it will support your holding hand)
Perhaps it is an more improved version of a P90, or just a Eidos variation :rolleyes: .

I'd assume thats a mid-range SMG. So it wouldn't be too accurate in longer ranges but would have some fast and stopping firepower, deadly in CQC specially.
Do NOT make the same mistake they did in DX1. having to shoot a guy half a clip into his chest before they fall, unless of course you had your weapon skills fully trained, and in some magical way, this would strengthen your bullets and making them more powerful...

sure have the agent or whoever is the character, have a crappy recoil on untrained (or in some other way, non-upgraded skill or aug), but please, the damage should stay normal at all times. unless changing round-types of course, which id love to have many different variations of. switching to that explosive sniper round when you see that annoying mech/cyborg/nano-enhanced-human whatever patrolling or hunting your head and blasting their chest, when normal bullets just wont cut it ;) (I know how this all sounds but I actually played DX1 through on stealth more times than killing a few enemies down the road, even used that glitch to get pass Anna Naverre without killing her...)

wow... alot of text and even lost my point in the progress... ive been reading too much of these forums without registering.. :P gotta let it all out i guess..

jcp28
21st Aug 2008, 02:32
The barrel just looks a little bit too big to be an SMG. I'd expect it to be slightly smaller. Right now, it looks midway between an SMG and an assault rifle. Which makes interpreting the picture all the harder.

DXeXodus
21st Aug 2008, 03:49
It sure is great to be able to talk about something real :)
The models look beautiful, and I don't think the gun looks too futuristic either.

Larington
21st Aug 2008, 03:59
Looks encouraging, particularly the bit about how the size of the building suggests larger outdoor environments than DX:IW had.

gamer0004
21st Aug 2008, 05:45
Both the TAR-21 and P90 aren't nearly as futuristic as this thing. It looks awesome, but that's not the point when it comes to guns. I mean, all those lines and bulges. There is no reason for that. It will be a sequel I guess. My hopes are crushed (I just keep telling myself that so DX3 won't be a disappointment if it indeed does turn out to be crap).

minus0ne
21st Aug 2008, 06:28
More tangible stuff! The building could pretty much belong anywhere and anytime, but the gun does seem to point towards sequel (though sequel to DX or IW? :p ). It seems to have room for expansion (possibly silencer, scope instead of the iron sights, longer butt for accuracy/recoil etc.).

I actually really like it, on closer inspection it sort of seems like a future version of the Colt M1A4 Carbine (iirc). That big block/mag at the back of the gun is intriguing though, it suggest it might also be an energy weapon (in the broadest sense). And those dots, could they be DX3's ammo indicator? Speculation galore :p

Psychomorph
21st Aug 2008, 06:44
Thanks for the skrenshots.

The rifle looks nice, only the upper buttstock seems to appear somewhat of unpractical if you want to aim the sights. Even if you won't aim the sights in the game, the design still has to be like you would.

I'm glad you put the sights on the gun, what annoys me as hell is that many sci fi games have sci fi weapons without sights only because you use a crosshair ingame.

iWait
21st Aug 2008, 06:58
The gun looks like a cross between a P90 and a FAMAS.

Not unrealistic, not too Sci Fi. Nicely done Edios!

Also, it looks like it's on a Vista.

Also also, the guy at the comp reminds me of Vince from Shamwow.

Red
21st Aug 2008, 08:09
Nice touch on the Assault Rifle. Yay!

(The building below doesn't look bad either)

Psychomorph
21st Aug 2008, 09:05
Anyone seen the anime "Appleseed" and "Appleseed Ex Machina"? They have a hell of a nice weapons designs. The best I've seen.

Pixelponny
21st Aug 2008, 17:14
When I first saw the grip has two slots, I thoght the 'extra' one is for the grenade launcher trigger. Also the extension under the barrel looked like a grenade launcher to me. But it may be a P90 similarity, as Defres noticed.

At the other hand, weapon's past-trigger part seems less symetric when compared to the P90. Which is intentionally balanced for the weight issues on P90; a self sufficent recoil moderation design. This also means that this weapon SHOULD be held with one hand at the trigger grip and one hand under the barrel. Also there seems to be a cheekpad over the buttstock. So it would be uncomfortable to use this weapon with P90-like handling I guess. I'd also like to notice that the P90 has optical sights located just over the muzzle. This is also an ergonomy issue.

The weapon may be classified an bullpup assault carbine. There are many 'inspirations' from our times' weapon designs. I can make a list which would include G36C/K (because I bet the cocking handle of this weapon is under the rail which mechanical sights are installed), OC-14 Groza, P90 (if it's a handling grip) or FN F2000 with EGLM grenade launcher (if it's a grenade launcher).

Also, hi.

Voltaire
21st Aug 2008, 21:02
When I first saw the grip has two slots, I thoght the 'extra' one is for the grenade launcher trigger. Also the extension under the barrel looked like a grenade launcher to me.

I thought this too. Looks kinda cool. Clunky though, so maybe designed for mechs? I can certainly see Gunther owning one.

B0b_P@ge
21st Aug 2008, 21:45

It is everything you hope, and more. It's whatever kind of game you want it to be.

As soon as stuff starts coming in, DX3 will be less like your perfect vision, and more like what the developers perfect vision is.

Take the time to savor DX3 at its best.

Are you kidding, with the state of the gaming industry we have today and DX:IW as a past indication....

Bluey71
21st Aug 2008, 21:50
Maybe I've too much wacky backy but, to me that building looks chinese...

Talking about futuristic looking guns, have a look at the Jackhammer

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/imgs/jackhammer.jpg

Designed in the late 80's it still looks like a thing of the future.

Nice models there, thx for sharing.

Jerion
21st Aug 2008, 21:53
The gun looks like a slightly compact assault rifle- Actually it looks like a beefier evolution of the DX1 assault rifle.

It also reminds me a little of this weapon:

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/50/news_extra/28969.bestbuy.jpg

gamer0004
22nd Aug 2008, 13:42
Hey, maybe that strange looking thing on the back is the magazine... In that case this whole thing would totally make sense and it isn't going to be a sequel!
YAY!
My faith has been restored! O Eidos, I revere thee!

AaronJ
22nd Aug 2008, 14:06
Wrong.

pHdeus
22nd Aug 2008, 16:56
With artwork like that, he may become FAMAS.

:o

(Try googling FAMAS.)

Necros
22nd Aug 2008, 17:14
Hey, maybe that strange looking thing on the back is the magazine... In that case this whole thing would totally make sense and it isn't going to be a sequel!
YAY!
My faith has been restored! O Eidos, I revere thee!
You want a prequel? http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6671/blinktk0.gif I'd like to see either a sequel to the original (between DX1 and DX: IW) or a sequel to IW. :)

pHdeus, I don't think so.

foxberg
22nd Aug 2008, 17:22
Prequel would be a death wish. If you never played DX before then you wouldn't care, but for those of us who played both - a prequel? You've gotta be kidding me. Besides, read my post in the "Video Analyzing..." post regarding the supporting evidence in the trailer of this being a sequel.

Psychomorph
22nd Aug 2008, 21:36
Prequel would be a death wish. If you never played DX before then you wouldn't care, but for those of us who played both - a prequel? You've gotta be kidding me. Besides, read my post in the "Video Analyzing..." post regarding the supporting evidence in the trailer of this being a sequel.
I got the answer! Alternative Universe! Everything is possible, everybody will be happy.

Igoe
23rd Aug 2008, 03:23
Or a reboot.

Necros
23rd Aug 2008, 07:47
Or a reboot.
Hell no! :mad:

Jerion
23rd Aug 2008, 07:52
A reboot? You'll destroy everything! The world will be in chaos, total and utter chaos! Is that what you want? ARE YOU COMPLETELY NUTS?!?!? :P

Larington
23rd Aug 2008, 08:22
This reminds me of a thought I had back when DX:IW was in production. It occured to me that you could set a game 3 years after DX and then when the game begins the player chooses (A slave obeys, bioshock moment, sorry, couldn't resist) which ending had previously been taken. The choice then affects the visual appearence of the locations, some of the technology that may work or not work, and so on. Gives a massive amount of replayability but would be an implementational nightmare, particularly in terms of additional dialogue having to be recorded for dialogue sequences which refer to the way things are at that point in the story.
I suppose its one of my pipe dream ideas again.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Aug 2008, 08:25
bioshock

pipe dreams

God, please don't remind me :P

Larington
23rd Aug 2008, 08:32
Hmm yeah, wish they'd come up with a mini-game more entertaining than that blasted pipe game, gets real repetitive real fast, especially on the second play through.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Aug 2008, 08:40
Second play through? I couldn't bring myself to finish Bioshock even once... I actually enjoyed DX:IW a lot more than Bioshock, finished it two times.

As bad as it was in comparison to DX1, IW was a pretty good game by itself. BS is just... bs. Apart from the setting and some of the sound, I didn't find anything worthwhile in Bioshock.

EDIT: OK, and the Cohen level. That was good stuff.

Tsumaru
23rd Aug 2008, 09:45
Me and foxberg are now the bestest fwiends in the whole wide world.

Larington
23rd Aug 2008, 10:10
I played through the second time because I'd gotten a computer that could run everything on high and this time on a 22 widescreen monitor so, it was a sorta benchmark test I suppose, same goes for Crysis...

Of course, in terms of game design those are both vastly inferior games to say, the first half of Far Cry and System Shock. What worries me is that people in the industry seem to have developed an odd sort of fondness of bioshock... Though maybe thats a fondness of the sales it achieved and that one revelation scene most of the way into the game, but other than that, the game (bioshock) was clearly lacking something.

I suspect a big factor in that would be that games like DX1, System Shock 2 and Far Cry had a far stronger free roaming feel to them, whilst bioshock and crysis, plus also to an extent DX-IW felt very much linear (DX1 does have a certain sense of linearity, but its very much mitigated by the fact that you occasionally revisit locations you've been to before as part of the story and many locations genuinely have multiple entry ways, where as if you look at the building where that new weapon was being developed in invisible war, there wasn't really anything in the way of exploring around the outskirts of the facility (Just in the courtyard) - compare that with the statue of liberty in DX1...).

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Aug 2008, 10:28
Well, I actually played up to that scene and just a bit further, since I read the game goes downhill from there. And I was already disappointed, so there was no reason to continue.

Also, I think the whole potential of that scene was wasted as...

...they made it non-interactive. They should have made you need to execute Ryan by yourself. Only then would the whole meta-gaming comment work. "A man chooses, a slave obeys!" You could then actually choose not to kill Ryan, and just exit the game right there, since it wouldn't let you advance, making your own ending, your statement: "I'm not a slave. 'Would you kindly' my ass, devs." THAT would have been marvellous. And if you did execute the defenseless Ryan yourself, you'd actually feel used and guilty.FEAR spoilers follow:
I know I did when I shot Paxton Fettel.

Joseph Manderley's Corpse
24th Aug 2008, 22:41
Cool looking gun, definitely an upgraded assault rifle from the original, so I guess we can rule out a prequel.

Perhaps something between DX and IW?

ewanlaing
24th Aug 2008, 23:24
I think people get the wrong idea with IW. It didn't seem THAT futuristic to me. Bits of it were, but they were explained within the game. If you look at the streets of Trier, Cairo and Lower Seattle, it all looks pretty modern.

Tsumaru
25th Aug 2008, 06:23
I <3 ewanlaing

Fig89
25th Aug 2008, 17:59
Lets analyze this weapon a bit more. If you blow it up in photoshop you can easily make the following observations:

1) On top of the carrying handle there are actually detailed iron sights, I would go so far as to say that they are HK style, with a Circle and post at the end of the barrel and a 'drum' with a hole in it for the rear sight.

2) On the forward left side of the gun, we see an otherwise pointless box, with what looks like some kind of switch right under it. I would guess that this is either a flashlight or laser sight.

3) There is a round, ovular object in the middle of the rifle on the left side as well. Normally, a fire mode selector would be placed here on a weapon, so I suggest this is either a standard fire mode selector, or, as evidenced by the indentations in this ovual thing, it could actually be some sort of biometric reader that reads thumbprints or something.

4) Under the 'flashlight/lasersight' there are some inexplicable ridges and a second trigger guard. This is probably a 'cool looking' attempt at either a grenade launcher or a grenade launcher attachment. I think it looks silly.

5) The buttstock on this weapon makes little sense to me. As you follow the weapon's body back towards where your shoulder would be, it stays the same width untill the last few inches, where a trapezoid shaped box extrudes outward from the gun. I don't know what the hell the point of this thing is. It seems like it would just make the gun heavier and off balance it.

Also, the 'cheekrest' makes the weapon impossible to sight. You would have to hold the damned gun at a 90 degree angle to your head in order to use the iron sights. Hopefully this 'cheekrest' is actually some sort of extendable stock, because in its current configuration it makes little sense.

6) Either this model is not shown with the magazine inserted into the weapon, or it does not use magazine based ammunition. Possibly it could be a bren/sten gun set up with the magazine sticking out sideways in the direction we cannot see, but i highly doubt that is the case. It also can't function like a P90's magazine as the buttstock obstructs where the magazine would be placed.

I can only imagine that the magazine would be inserted into the 'trapezoidal' extrusion at the butt of the gun, or that this weapon uses the nano-ammo like in IW. The pistol grip seems like it gets far too narrow for it to function as a reciever It might be the angle of the picture, but too me it looks waay too narrow.

imported_van_HellSing
25th Aug 2008, 18:22
By the way, have you guys checked Sébastien Legrain's site yet?

HOLY UNCANNY VALLEY BATMAN!

I mean, I'm scared :(

26th Aug 2008, 16:25
By the way, have you guys checked Sébastien Legrain's site yet?

HOLY UNCANNY VALLEY BATMAN!

I mean, I'm scared :(

link?

imported_van_HellSing
26th Aug 2008, 16:32
On the first page, in Rene's post with the pics.

Anyway: http://sebleg.free.fr/

pauldenton
26th Aug 2008, 23:19
If that is the assult rifle then i would say this is a prequel.
it looks less advanced than the one in DX.

To be honest i think it looks poor. It certainly doesnt look `cool` to me or something that i just can't wait to try! Still i hope i am proven wrong and all will be good in the final version of the game.

ewanlaing
26th Aug 2008, 23:25
I <3 ewanlaing
Aww, cheers!

gamer0004
27th Aug 2008, 13:54
If that is the assult rifle then i would say this is a prequel.
it looks less advanced than the one in DX.

To be honest i think it looks poor. It certainly doesnt look `cool` to me or something that i just can't wait to try! Still i hope i am proven wrong and all will be good in the final version of the game.

Exactly! The guy who designed it is from GoW so I guess we could've expected that...
IRL (and this will never change!) weapons are made purely based on function, not on whether or not it looks "awesome". Even the futuristic/awesome weapons of today are clearly made based on function. There are no strange curves or apparently useless projections, they're designed to be tough and ergonomic. But this... thing - it's purely designed for aesthetic reasons. But let's not forget this: http://www.planetdeusex.com/images/image.asp?/dx2/files/art/dx2art01.jpg
And the SMG turned out to be one of the least futuristic (i.e. far fetched, unrealistic) weapons.
Oh wait. Even that one is less far fetched...

28th Aug 2008, 12:44
On the first page, in Rene's post with the pics.

Anyway: http://sebleg.free.fr/

wow.