PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want to go in RUSSIA?

Demiurge
16th Aug 2008, 18:57
Many of us have agreed that Russia is a cool and relevant place to visit, and fits the cyberpunk theme well. All that is left is to choose the locations where we think it would be most fun to visit. :cool:

GruntOwner
16th Aug 2008, 19:23
St. Petursberg. More specifically, the ruins thereof. An arctic urban rubble houses a loada homeless people. Due to the general feel that the hoboes and ruininess give the place, no one visits there anymore, so where better to build an underground research facility? At the time of whatever terrorist attack took it, the government were too pre occupied with other aspects of the insurgency to get to work on rebuilding before the homeless moved in. If it's a sequel then the terrorists could be anti MJ12, after a particularly foolish and arrogant made it his base of operations for the Russian coup de'tat. it blew up, homeless moved in, they never looked for the tell tale signs of bunkers, so no one knew about it until some of the hoboes followed them upper class looking fellows what have been moving through recently.

El_Bel
16th Aug 2008, 19:46
MJ12/Illuminati never controlled Russia so its a cool place to meet allies. I vote for Moscow, its the center of Russia and much easier to control than a vilage in the middle of nowhere.

Infiltration of a base in some ice corner of Russia as long as it is not controlled by Russian government.

jcp28
16th Aug 2008, 20:43
I'll go pretty much anywhere that has an immersive environment or anyplace that relates to themes of gloominess. That could be all of the above. Oh no, what do I pick?

Jimmy Rabbitte
16th Aug 2008, 22:01
lol Russia is pretty much an entirely gloomy place. Unless they had some sort of comeback in the backstory?

Fen
17th Aug 2008, 05:22
Somewhere that is snowing, and not in the countryside.:)

Tsumaru
17th Aug 2008, 05:44
I dunno, Georgia?

Demiurge
17th Aug 2008, 06:32
Good Ideas people! I voted for Moscow, because there is so much that can go on there, plus the idea of fighting Spetsnaz on Red Square appeals to me particularly, hopefully the Elite Spetsnaz GRU. I also voted for the Military base, because I would love to infiltrate a snowy military base far away in Siberia or deep in the Urals. Great opportunity for a water level, and eidos could make use of environmental danger, i.e. if you stay in cold water too long you die. I refuse to believe that a trenchcoat can keep our protagonist alive in all the places he will have to go.

Tsumaru- Georgia is not Russia, as you may have been watching the news recently, you may have seen Russia get a rather pathetic telling off from Dubya. I think South Ossetia in particular will be off limits for various reasons.:rolleyes:

Tsumaru
17th Aug 2008, 08:11
I'm merely joking that by the time that the game is set in comes round, Russia could very well have taken over.

AndyRaffle
17th Aug 2008, 09:35
Rostov-na-Donu... my girlfriend comes from there.

Demiurge
17th Aug 2008, 10:05
I'm merely joking that by the time that the game is set in comes round, Russia could very well have taken over.

Sadly, that's very possible, in which case, Forget page industries, Forget Versalife, the kings of the world will be GAZPROM!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Aug 2008, 11:19
lol Russia is pretty much an entirely gloomy place. Unless they had some sort of comeback in the backstory?

The Omar are Russian; so a visit to this country would be inevitable if we are to learn more about them. ;)

Demiurge
17th Aug 2008, 12:23
The Omar were also the best new idea in IW and one of the reasons why I thought the game was ok.

minus0ne
17th Aug 2008, 14:24
Dude, Moscow is the most expensive city in the world right now ;) So, no, if your bank account measures more than 7 digits I'd say Moscow's an entirely non gloomy place.

If I had to choose I'd say St. Petersburg, mainly because of the Winter Palace (although I'd love to see other buildings of the Hermitage - though obviously we don't need a lifelike reproduction of all 1000 museum rooms :eek: ).

Though this is perhaps a relevant topic; I'm pretty sure EM has already long since chosen the main locations.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Aug 2008, 09:30
The Omar were also the best new idea in IW and one of the reasons why I thought the game was ok.

Yeah, give me a High Five. :D

foxberg
20th Aug 2008, 14:13
As a matter of fact I am going to St Petersburg in less then a month :D
But seriously, Winter Palace would be great. Peterhoff ("Russian Versailles") is also great as a deviation into the suburb. I can imagine a military base level hidden in woods that would provide a pleasant playing experience as well.

Demiurge
20th Aug 2008, 18:45
Hey Foxberg, as a matter of fact the Peterhoff is quite a way out of St Petersburg and is actually on the Gulf of Finland. I visited in February and was fairly impressed by the Tsar's wealth (And got into trouble with the Russian security staff because I stood on the frozen Ice with a mate) :D . I liked the Hermitage, but I regretted not going to see the Amber room in the Catherine palace. However, Wherever they set it in Russia, It must be snowing, Feels more like the Russia I know that way.

foxberg
20th Aug 2008, 19:01
Hey Foxberg, as a matter of fact the Peterhoff is quite a way out of St Petersburg and is actually on the Gulf of Finland.

Actually it's not that far away by water. You could board a water tram right behind the Winter Palace. It's a very nice trip.

However, Wherever they set it in Russia, It must be snowing, Feels more like the Russia I know that way.

It's beautiful during the White Nights in June. Besides, I'm kind of sick already of the Russian winter maps. It's not exactly Greenland.

Demiurge
20th Aug 2008, 19:17
Actually it's not that far away by water. You could board a water tram right behind the Winter Palace. It's a very nice trip.

Well it was a 40 minute - 1hr drive, and is definitely not in the suburbs of Petersburg, but is located just outside a different town altogether (the name escapes me, but there was a famous cathedral there). You also pass the Residence of the President, although I think Putin still resides there.

It's beautiful during the White Nights in June. Besides, I'm kind of sick already of the Russian winter maps. It's not exactly Greenland.

Good Idea, but I'm afraid of it being too bright and spoiling the night 'mood'. Oh well I guess there was a reason for those sunglasses at night.

foxberg
20th Aug 2008, 19:44
...but is located just outside a different town altogether (the name escapes me, but there was a famous cathedral there).

You are talking about Oranienbaum.
Well, what's 40min to a new level intro?:D Board the boat, cut scene and before you know it the new level is already loaded and you are in Peterhoff.

B0b_P@ge
21st Aug 2008, 01:25
Sadly, that's very possible, in which case, Forget page industries, Forget Versalife, the kings of the world will be GAZPROM!

I don't think so. :whistle:

AaronJ
21st Aug 2008, 16:33
I dunno, Georgia?

lol, exactly what I thought when I saw this thread.

I voted military base, but there better be a reference to no one being able to find Yevgeni.

Freddo
22nd Aug 2008, 01:04
If the game is in Russia, it should be in one large city like St Petersburg or Moscow, and some secret military base.

This kinda applies to anywhere in the world as far as I'm concerned. Hong Kong in DX1 had a lot of civilian life, apartments, party places and so on, but deep under there was a major secret military lab. Exciting stuff :cool: