PDA

View Full Version : Serious issues with Sommerdamm

LOFO1993
9th Jan 2014, 21:46
I've been playing 6+ matches tonight, two of them in Sommerdamm. For some reason when I'm in that map things just go horribly wrong in terms of frame-rate, audio and delays.

My PING was good both the times, and I didn't feel like I was actually lagging. It was much more like some sort of frame-skipping, just it got exponentially worse the more things were going on around me (like people using abilities, shooting and getting hit).

The audio was unbelievably jerky, for two full matches, music included. Every sound was repeated and cut horribly, and in "peak moments" I swear simple sounds like explosions and hits were reproduced like 10 times in little more than a second, making it all very head-aching.

The game itself seemed to frame-skip A LOT when other players got near me and they did any type of actions. During close-combat 4vs.4 things were so bad I literally had no idea what I was doing. Just moving a bit away from the fight seemed to make it better.

I've played in Sommerdamm before and everything was just fine. This never happened before tonight.

I'm pretty sure it was not just random server issues because
1) I was the only one experiencing this on the field
2) for how much laggy things were at times I've never seen them getting this bad BY FAR
3) given it happened 2/2 times in Sommerdamm and 0 in every other map, I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a case.

Please look into this, right now one map out of four is literally off-limits for me.

kzieres62
9th Jan 2014, 23:17
I myself can confirm with the ubove post. Wanted to come onto teh forum and left the devs know that today I was also experince Framerate issues, and the audio was "fuzzy" comming accross my speakers.

Tech specs
AMD A10 quad core
Radeon HD7750D
Comcast CaBLE internet

cmstache
10th Jan 2014, 00:29
It's been ongoing on/off for a while. Certain players are more unlucky getting it than others. A program restart should fix it.

lucinvampire
10th Jan 2014, 15:59
I didn't realise until reading this I may have experienced similar issues...
Jumping around the map quite a bit - climbing one wall and then being in air...
Certain areas of the map being really really loud and some noises/effects being loud...bombs, death - and the noise of the water mill is deafening...
Also aiming at someone and it not connecting then them reappearing in another location (as if its skipped a bit)...

Kuro1n
10th Jan 2014, 16:02
I haven't really learned the maps names yet but the sound of wind blowing at some part of the map is extremely loud.

Strike5150
10th Jan 2014, 16:03
Yea the audio from those two sources is way too loud. Although I think the intent was to maybe mask vampire sounds in those areas to discourage camping?

lucinvampire
10th Jan 2014, 16:06
Yea the audio from those two sources is way too loud. Although I think the intent was to maybe mask vampire sounds in those areas to discourage camping?

Well then that'd make it a good thing :D ...even if ear defenders are required lol.

LOFO1993
10th Jan 2014, 20:51
The wind/water sound issue is one I experienced in the past, but it's NOT what I'm taking about here.

Just normal sounds repeated way too many times, but still at their normal volume.

cmstache
10th Jan 2014, 21:05
I like the sounds. Overall they are a nice addition. It makes you pay attention to the vampires. I have had some issues occasionally with a clicking sound (kinda like a woodpecker) outside the house in the quarry area.

wolfcraft
10th Jan 2014, 21:18
I've found myself climbing up thin air in Sommerdamm a couple of times tonight :-/

LOFO1993
10th Jan 2014, 23:16
Ok, played again in Sommerdamm TWICE, and the issue is always there.

I'm making this clearer, cause somebody seems to be finding DIFFERENT issues with the map than me.

Nosgoth plays really smooth on my PC. When I'm in Sommerdamm, though, the more I'm close to other players the more the game loses frames and jerks the sounds. This NEVER happened before Friday's patch, and ALWAYS happened after. It doesn't happen in any other map.

LOFO1993
17th Jan 2014, 19:36
Maybe you guys would like to know that things didn't really change even after the patch of January 16. I had one match in Sommerdamm so far, and I have to say I experienced the disturbances SLIGHTLY less than before, but they are all still there all the time, and it's something happening absolutely only in that map.

I repeat, it wasn't always like that. When you first put out the map I had 0 issues with it. It changed all of a sudden, and since then never came back to normal. I even checked the game cache through Steam, but it's all right. Just knowing you're looking into it would be of great relief.

Psyonix_Corey
17th Jan 2014, 20:01
We're looking into it but are having trouble reproducing the issue on our hardware.

LOFO1993
17th Jan 2014, 20:09
OK, thanks.

If you need me to try doing anything just ask.

LOFO1993
7th Feb 2014, 19:43
OK, so... next patch, next report.

Not that I have to say much: nothing has changed. At all.

BUT - I decided to do a couple of tests, to maybe try helping you realizing what's going on exactly, and I've found out a couple of VERY WEIRD things.

I launched Fraps while playing, without recording, just to see how many frames the game was running at theoretically (in Sommerdamm, of course), and to my surprise the number was always way above 30-40, while I was clearly going below 5-10 quite often. The yellow number of fraps so was WAY higher than what I saw, and it was absolutely comparable to what I get in every other map.

I decided trying a very short recording (don't worry, it's safe here in my HDD) to try analyzing the video outside of the game. The "perceived" frames noted in red were still above 30, but my screen was frameskipping quite hard at the slightest movement of my character or the camera.

Then, the strangest thing of all. I ended the match, quit and watched that short video, and... it's fluid! The game is shown correctly IN THE RECORDING but frameskips ON SCREEN DURING THE MATCH!!

I guess this rules out processing power issues of any sort. Turns out when I'm playing in Sommerdamm the game IS fluid as always, but for some reason I see it frameskipping on screen!

Can somebody explain me what's going on here?

LOFO1993
7th Feb 2014, 20:17
More breaking news.

I've just entered a game in Sommerdamm with 3 players in total, don't ask me what was going on. And... the game was ALMOST PERFECT.

I already noticed that the "frameskips" happened more often the more people and things were moving and going on around me, but I think this proves it definitively.

So, just to recap: only in Sommerdamm, only since the update after the map introduction (so I played well in it for exactly one game build), my game is DISPLAYED (but apparently not RENDERED) with a lot of frame-skipping, the more "server traffic" is going on around me the stronger the issue.

I think I did all I can possibly do. I don't mind if this goes on for some time still, but I believe this could be symptom of some other kind of issue in the way the connection data are dealt by games in that map in particular. Hope I've helped you somehow.

Tube_Reaver
7th Feb 2014, 20:41
I am having the exact same issues as you are. The frame-rate just tanks to rock bottom.
The problem is that it happens in different areas of the map, so it's hard to pinpoint the issue.

At first we thought it might be the APEX cloth, so I turned that off, and it sorted the issue, but then I believe after a patch, that no longer worked, as even with APEX cloth off, it goes back to tanking my frame-rate

Amorbis
27th Feb 2014, 19:24
Since the beta has started I have had more problems with Sommerdamm, similar to those described here. Currently as soon as any action happens the game grinds to a halt, pausing for 1 or 2 seconds between each frame. The sound issues are there too where it occasinally sounds distorted. Restarting hasn't fixed it sadly, or changing graphics settings.

LOFO1993
27th Feb 2014, 20:28
Funnily enough, I actually seem to suffer no more from them. My games in Sommerdamm are as good as in every other map now.

WhiteFlameKyo
1st Mar 2014, 22:35
Since the beta has started I have had more problems with Sommerdamm, similar to those described here. Currently as soon as any action happens the game grinds to a halt, pausing for 1 or 2 seconds between each frame. The sound issues are there too where it occasinally sounds distorted. Restarting hasn't fixed it sadly, or changing graphics settings.
Same happens to me. The framerate gets worse every second in Sommerdamm. And - after about 3-5 minutes - when it's impossible to play I get the "ran out of memory" error and hello desktop, how's it going.

IKathaarI
2nd Mar 2014, 04:10
I have this issue too, been talking with Eric to try and pinpoint whats wrong but i think LOFO1993 might've just figured it out

wolfcraft
2nd Mar 2014, 22:54
I've just been dumped out of two Sommerdamn games in a row. Sorry, I didn't make a note of which server I was on.

wolfcraft
2nd Mar 2014, 23:05
make that three :-/

Dron1508
4th Mar 2014, 13:04
Have anybody had the same troubles on each map at the last 1 minute of the match?

WhiteFlameKyo
4th Mar 2014, 13:16
I don't know what kind wizardry had devs employed, but that latest patch (today, about 325mb) resolved any and every slowdown/low fps/crash to desktop problem for me. Sommerdamm (as well as other maps) now runs as smoothly as ever.

Saecred-XIV
4th Mar 2014, 14:19
I don't know what kind wizardry had devs employed, but that latest patch (today, about 325mb) resolved any and every slowdown/low fps/crash to desktop problem for me. Sommerdamm (as well as other maps) now runs as smoothly as ever.

Magic Missiles were shot at Sommerdamm.

In all seriousness, the map was in dire need of an optimization pass - which was done in this version. it should be running a lot smoother for all. We'll keep a keen eye for new issues that pop up and address them individually when they appear.

WhiteFlameKyo
4th Mar 2014, 15:08
Magic Missiles were shot at Sommerdamm.

In all seriousness, the map was in dire need of an optimization pass - which was done in this version. it should be running a lot smoother for all. We'll keep a keen eye for new issues that pop up and address them individually when they appear.

Today in lobby between matches I was complaining about optimization (and got yelled at for having an old computer (http://i.imgur.com/uCmXuyp.gif)) and boom, not an hour later it's done! Now I wonder what should I complain about next. I think I'll go with more classes.

But seriously, thanks and keep up the good work!

Psyonix_Eric
4th Mar 2014, 20:05
Glad to hear it :) We did a major performance pass that, aside from other things, put more items into different detail groups. This way when you run it on Low or Medium you see less of the shiny pretty goodies but it should run better for people who don't have NASA computers. ;)

Amorbis
5th Mar 2014, 15:08
I too have stopped crashing on Sommerdamm since the last patch. I appreciate that you care for people like me who play on lesser hardware, so thanks!

Prime_Abstergo
26th Mar 2014, 09:45
Talking about the subject.. it is still here guys. I've encountered multiple delays and frame-rate issues. it relates to sound also.
I am playing at 'Higher' settings (Dynamic shadows OFF, Motion Blur OFF).

Still have no issues on other maps.

cmstache
26th Mar 2014, 09:54
try turning of apex cloth. Ppl have had issues with it in the past

Prime_Abstergo
27th Mar 2014, 08:04
try turning of apex cloth. Ppl have had issues with it in the past
Could you please explain what is the connection between 'Apex Cloth' setting and specific lags (FPS, sound) in Sommerdamm? And again - no lags on other maps (with 'max' settings).

I will try this tonight for sure, but i doubt it will help me.

Btw sometimes the bug is just ridiculous - when running I get a 3 sec freeze then I found myself being 'teleported' 20 meters ahead :scratch:

Prime_Abstergo
28th Mar 2014, 11:56
Such a nonsense but it looks like disabling 'Apex Cloth' made my life easier in Sommerdamm. Or maybe I just had a lucky day. Or maybe its because I've installed latest Nvidia drivers yesterday. :scratch:

cmstache
28th Mar 2014, 12:02
In alpha it fixed a lot of issues. Dynamic shadows and APEX cloth gave a lot of people a hard time. Obviously the APEX cloth stuff is dull lingering around.

Ezekyle
4th Apr 2014, 00:26
Still getting really bad fps on Sommerdamn and, I keep getting "Ran out of video memory. Exiting"... Only on this map too, every time it is played. Infuriating, to say the least.

cmstache
4th Apr 2014, 16:13
Still getting really bad fps on Sommerdamn and, I keep getting "Ran out of video memory. Exiting"... Only on this map too, every time it is played. Infuriating, to say the least.

Specs and settings?

Ezekyle
4th Apr 2014, 16:44
My pc has run the game absolutely flawlessly until recently, again only on Sommerdamm do I get this error.
Q6600, xfx 6850 HD, 4GB Ram. Most settings, since this issue, have been turned down to medium. I don't know why all of a sudden my hardware wouldn't cope with one map, hence my leaning toward the idea of a fault in this map. I did read something, somewhere about something conflicting with some ATI cards? If it is my hardware, I'm getting new RAM, a CPU and a mobo in a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Psyonix_Eric
4th Apr 2014, 17:55
Such a nonsense but it looks like disabling 'Apex Cloth' made my life easier in Sommerdamm. Or maybe I just had a lucky day. Or maybe its because I've installed latest Nvidia drivers yesterday. :scratch:
The apex cloth setting controls a few things. First, it is responsible for the dynamic cloth that many of the characters have. Sommerdamm is the only map that has dynamic cloth in it, but since the initial release of Sommerdamm I have actually removed some of the dynamic cloth pieces because I didn't feel like they were adding to the look of the map and they were definitely contributing to the degradation of performance. I think there are only two dynamic cloth actors in the entire map, and from our tests they don't seem to be contributing to performance problems.

The only things that have been done to Sommerdamm were bug fixes or performance improvements, so I'm not sure what would have caused a sudden drop in the map's playability when we really haven't done anything drastic. Corey and I have spent some time trying to track down what are the worst offenders in the map so we'll continue to do so to see what we can do to improve it.

Raivohalvaus
23rd Apr 2014, 06:06
For me too this map still performs horrible even on lowest settings. Major fps drops and constant sound cracking. I have tried apex and all the other stuff off, but no hope. :/

My specs: win7, Intel core 2 duo 2,66GHz, 4 Gb ram, gtx 285

Other maps run great even on higher settings so it's just a bit weird.

edit. Great to hear you're working on the performance issues for us with old PCs. Have been testing since the new patch and not noticing any huge improvements. Maybe it's just my cpu, any tips how i could lift the weight from the cpu to the gpu? Btw, loving the Deceiver!

wolfcraft
28th Apr 2014, 21:04
I'm not sure what would have caused a sudden drop in the map's playability

Sudden drop in playability? I've almost always had performance issues when playing the Sommerdamm map. I've had only a couple of games without crashing out, so it's certainly never been perfect for me since it was first released. I'm sure you'll figure it out though.

edit: should really post my system specs (by no means do I have a top spec PC)
Any game using the Sommerdamn map will crash Nosgoth due to video memory issues. No other map causes this.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Total Physical Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory: 1.27 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 4.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 2.79 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
GPU RAM: 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

TheTigsy
29th Jun 2014, 12:20
I've been playing nosgoth for a short while now and on most maps i get a very good fps but as soon as i join Sommerdamm my fps drops to 9, the audio stutters allot and input lag shoots up. Has anybody else experienced this?