PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex:story, plot, narrative vs.gameplay

Vadim Verenich
13th Aug 2008, 19:41
If Mr.Valen would not mind, i will re-post my message here, since it would be of general interest:

As a hardcore fan of Deus Ex' profound narrative, i want to share some ideas of developing a bold and rich plot of DX3. Honestly speaking, my dream is making of DX3 story to look like someting similiar to Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", Pynchon's "Crying of Lot 49" or even to Robbe-Grillet's "Projet pour une r√©volution √* New-York" using technique of so called frame story (as you know is a narrative technique whereby a main story is composed, at least in part, for the purpose of organizing a set of shorter stories, each of which is a story within the story‚ÄĒor for surrounding a single story within a story).Hence,each chapter of plot (or mission, using game design terminology) could cover a specific element of conspiracy or cyberpunk theories, which becomes increasingly difficult over the course of the scenario. Like in Robbe-Grillet's books the first chapters could be written in the present tense (to be a sequel of DX) and from the first person point of view. The last chapters could be then written partially in the third person past and partially in the first person present ( to depict gane protagonist's mediation over DX "prequel"events). This technique could satisfy both parts of DX fan comminuty (some part of this community looks for DX sequel, other -demands a prequel).

In my humble opinion, one of the biggest mistakes in DX:IW is undevelopped story. The main character was very moderate and somehow depersonalized (for sake of gameplay with its declaration of nonlinearity, while Deus Ex has a very strong and geniune protagonist with a good balance of dramatic action and dark humour. It was that type of humour players missed in DX:IW.In DX:IW secondary characters were basicly unchanged (with some excpetions) , while in DX most of secondary and even some tertiary characters underwent significant change. Also the flexibility of Dx plot allowed gamers to speculate over possible events that were coded by game designers to not happen (for instance, what would happen to JC, if he remained with Unatco com and so on). DX:IW with its seemingly more interactive and nonlinear gameplay does not even trigger such thoughts in gamer's mind. I hope that you will find a right balance between plot and gameplay, even if it is a very difficult task to perform.

Romeo
13th Aug 2008, 19:43
I didn't mind DX:IW's story that much. It happened to be one of the things it did well, in my opinion.

Vadim Verenich
13th Aug 2008, 20:58
It has a story, but its narrative design is very weak as compared to DX1.

I didn't mind DX:IW's story that much. It happened to be one of the things it did well, in my opinion.

jcp28
14th Aug 2008, 02:48
I think there are already a number of threads like this.

To answer your initial question, I hope they come up with a deep and compelling story, but remember these guys aren't the creators of DX, so I don't expect all the elements such as story and philosophy to be quite as fluid. There may be some occasional musings, but I'm not sure if we would get a bunch of philo. quotes from Dumier like in dx 1.

Romeo
14th Aug 2008, 04:31
Ah, have some faith. Again, was pretty good in terms of story.