PDA

View Full Version : hidden places

Shax
13th Aug 2008, 15:56
Alot of you didnt know about the T-rex on TR2, yes for those of you who dont know, there are T-rex at the end of the first level on TR2, anyway, i was wondering if there are any secret places like that on TR Legend or TR Anniversary?

LaraCroftRox
13th Aug 2008, 16:52
(thinks) well, there the places where you can get artifacts/relics and stufff.... I cant recall anything else....

lilhanhan
13th Aug 2008, 17:23
To be honest there isn't any places you can properly explore in Legend and Anniversary...although there is a little cave in the lost valley were you can get the shotgun early, I think that's it. :scratch:

Arctic
13th Aug 2008, 17:57
I don't think so :scratch:

Jezyk
13th Aug 2008, 18:16
There are some secrets but they're ot that big. You can get to some cool places with the fly cheat though.

Ben-Raider
13th Aug 2008, 19:10
yeah It took me ages to realise i could go down the pit in the first level of tomb raider 2

Spong
13th Aug 2008, 20:16
To be honest there isn't any places you can properly explore in Legend and Anniversary...although there is a little cave in the lost valley were you can get the shotgun early, I think that's it. :scratch:

I agree with that. I was even gonna post as much earlier on today, including the Lost Valley/shotgun thing, but I didn't get the time.

Bampire
13th Aug 2008, 20:20
See.. This is why the classics are so great. You get to explore more, of your surroundings. Yes, the newest are fantastic, but you're only limited.. hopefully in TR:U you wont be limited to the places Lara Explores.

Spong
13th Aug 2008, 20:23
See.. This is why the classics are so great. You get to explore more, of your surroundings.

You're not wrong.

Tomb-Dude
13th Aug 2008, 20:47
There where so many hidden little places in the original TR's i kept on fiindnig loads when i recently played the orignal tr. There is probally loads i still haven't found. (Must re install it)

Bampire
14th Aug 2008, 02:06
I JUST noticed this, after playing the game sooo many times. at the Beginning of Tibetian Foothills, after waiting for the two pairs of Boulders, there's a room with a Leopard.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2dbrp0o.jpg

Spong
14th Aug 2008, 03:03
@Goar
You're joking? You seriously only just found that? Excellent! There's some ammo in there too. But it prompts the question; how do you normally dodge those boulders? I've always used that tunnel to get out the way of the first set.

But that's the great thing about the older games. I only found the second route through TR3's Jungle at the start of this year :D

rg_001100
14th Aug 2008, 03:11
@Goar
You're joking? You seriously only just found that? Excellent! There's some ammo in there too. But it prompts the question; how do you normally dodge those boulders? I've always used that tunnel to get out the way of the first set.

But that's the great thing about the older games. I only found the second route through TR3's Jungle at the start of this year :D

I've not seen that bit yet either... :scratch:

Someone please explain this exploration thing to me... why it's better in the classics than in CD games?

Spong
14th Aug 2008, 03:17
Well, to me, there's nothing really to "explore" in the Legend and Anniversary, you're pretty much led down a narrow path. In the older games things aren't signposted, and that gave me that feeling of being dumped in at the deep end and left to my own devices without being told what to do or where to head first.

But it's all really a matter of opinion though I guess.

Bampire
14th Aug 2008, 03:25
@Goar

I always passed it, and never really looked to the left as the screen shot towards the Boulders. Yeah. I wish it was the secret, though. Instead of it having Automatic Pistol ammo, and a Large Feline.

Explain 'second route', in TR3.

Spong
14th Aug 2008, 03:32
It's not as big a deviation as the second route on Coastal Village, but the one in the Jungle level happens when you get here...

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8116/tr3lv01064bz9.jpg

I never noticed that switch (circled). I always used to dive into the water and swim straight through the gate in the far-right corner. That switch opens another gate above the water that you can jump to from the island in the middle.

rg_001100
14th Aug 2008, 03:33
Well, to me, there's nothing really to "explore" in the Legend and Anniversary, you're pretty much led down a narrow path. Things aren't signposted, the older games gave me that feeling of being dumped in at the deep end and left to my own devices without being told what to do or where to head first.

It's all really a matter of opinion though I guess.

I'm not so sure it's a matter of opinion. I'd think there has to a "truth" somewhere in there...

I'd think there's enough to explore in TRL/TRA on the rewards/"secrets" side of things, but it's not so much "forced in the face", mandatory exploration. TRL was linear, TRA not as much, although neither of these have the same sort of (avoidable) "hidden places".

The classics have a different style of level moving around. Exploration is necessary to get around, but not to the same extent as it is to find secrets (Although I do recall finding secrets before finding a way out... that just seems backwards to me).

I "explore" around in the older games, I do that to get a sense of what is in the room. (Making sure it's safe to not have pistols out... my raiding style...). Exploring I see several paths... then go see somewhere else to see other paths. I explore the ones I guess that aren't the one I'm supposed to take. I'm wrong sometimes, and so go back and explore the other paths. (This is what I'd suppose you call "exploration").

TRL does not have this... TRA has it, if not to the same extent as the "classics". I'd agree with Core games having more exploration in that there's more to be able to explore that you don't need to do, but I'm not of the opinion that it takes more exploration to know where to go, it just "quenches the thirst" of exploration better.

Spong
14th Aug 2008, 03:44
I think you're over-analysing things a bit RG.

But I guess my idea of being able to explore (when it comes to TR) is based on the number of options available to me any one time (in terms of what to do or where to go). TRL & TRA just don't offer me anywhere near as much choice.

Bampire
14th Aug 2008, 03:46
It's not as big a deviation as the second route on Coastal Village, but the one in the Jungle level happens when you get here...

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8116/tr3lv01064bz9.jpg

I never noticed that switch (circled). I always used to dive into the water and swim straight through the gate in the far-right corner. That switch opens another gate above the water that you can jump to from the island in the middle.
Ah yes, I thought you'd mention that area. I never actually made it across to the open door, sadly.

Spong
14th Aug 2008, 03:51
@Goar
The other route takes Lara through the treetops above the water to a second zip-line before it brings you out in the large room that you have to flood and open the gate to the underwater tunnel.

rg_001100
14th Aug 2008, 04:00
But I guess my idea of being able to explore (when it comes to TR) is based on the number of options available to me any one time (in terms of what to do or where to go). TRL & TRA just don't offer me anywhere near as much choice.

It daunts me when this number [of options/routes] is higher than 3... although it quickly turns to 2, then 1...
(For some reason if the number is really high it's not as bad...)

Bampire
14th Aug 2008, 04:08
@Goar
The other route takes Lara through the treetops above the water to a second zip-line before it brings you out in the large room that you have to flood and open the gate to the underwater tunnel.

Awesome.