PDA

View Full Version : What's your approach?

Jimmy Rabbitte
10th Aug 2008, 23:05
Sorry if this has been posted before. Also, I'm guessing I need a certain post count to start a poll?

Deus Ex is a great game for many reasons, one is that it gives the player freedom of choice, not only for which augmentations they use but what approach they can take when encountering enemies. So the question is simple, which approach do you prefer to take?

1. Stealth. Utilizing silent and/or non-lethal tactics to take down or slip past enemies, lockpicking or hacking through security, and spying to retrieve information.
2. Assault. Using heavy weapons, lots of protection to tank damage, and a confrontational approach to get information.
3. Both. Using whatever tactic is most suitable for the situation, or whichever tactic doesn't choke your inventory of supplies.

I personally prefer stealth but I don't mind getting bloody if need be. Sniping is also a tempting approach.

jordan_a
10th Aug 2008, 23:27
Hi,

I don't know if you need a certain amount of messages to be able to poll. But about your thread I'm sure there was something similar a couple of months ago, about how to handle the game, the approaches. It had a poll too.

Lo Bruto
11th Aug 2008, 00:57
Melee maniac.

Gimme a crowbar and I'll do the job.

Tsumaru
11th Aug 2008, 08:46
Number 3, sir.

I pretty much never use non-lethal. But I will gladly sneak up on someone and knife 'em in the back - or pop them one with a silenced pistol from close range. I remember one time when playing most recently I was on like a parapet type thing above some guys (I think it was at Vandenberg). From above, I popped a bullet from the silenced pistol into the head of one guy, then busted out the Dragon Sword, dropped behind the other and slashed him to insta-kill. I like to do fancy stuff which kills as quick and neatly as possible just for fun. But I can do this equally through an aggressive shooting from a distance (aiming for headshots and quick re-targeting to other enemies) or stealth (sneaking up and killing a lot of people quickly with melee up close).

I use lockpicking and hacking all the time. When facing bots and stuff, I usually prefer to sneak past and avoid them all together. I pretty much never use the GEP gun - too much inventory space. And I tried to avoid all-out wars so I rarely used armour and stuff. But I would often set it up so I could spray and kill heaps of guys with the assault rifle in a very aggressive combat scenario - but doing so safely. Ie, using cover, sneaking up behind a few first so I can get a couple in the head etc.

As an extension of the topic, however, what approaches do people use for choosing where to go with the story? In terms of killing Lebedev, choosing the endings etc. And I know most aren't IW fans, but I know most of you played it, and so also how you decided which faction to go with there and stuff.

I usually just trust my gut. My natural curiosity usually means I won't kill people outright or completely ignore what they have to say. I will give them a chance to speak their mind and then make a decision. For choosing the endings, I like to tackle the subject ethically and philosophically. But I'm also ruled by my ego, so that tends to play a role too. I chose Helios the first time round because it was pretty much better in every possible way. It potentially gives a chance to revolutionise government systems for the better - and while a dictator doesn't appeal to our current "common sense ideology"; it CAN be a better system. Furthermore, it made me practically God, and who doesn't like power? So that was just win-win for me, haha.

stokesy131
11th Aug 2008, 09:14
Number 3, sir.

I pretty much never use non-lethal. But I will gladly sneak up on someone and knife 'em in the back - or pop them one with a silenced pistol from close range. I remember one time when playing most recently I was on like a parapet type thing above some guys (I think it was at Vandenberg). From above, I popped a bullet from the silenced pistol into the head of one guy, then busted out the Dragon Sword, dropped behind the other and slashed him to insta-kill. I like to do fancy stuff which kills as quick and neatly as possible just for fun. But I can do this equally through an aggressive shooting from a distance (aiming for headshots and quick re-targeting to other enemies) or stealth (sneaking up and killing a lot of people quickly with melee up close).

I use lockpicking and hacking all the time. When facing bots and stuff, I usually prefer to sneak past and avoid them all together. I pretty much never use the GEP gun - too much inventory space. And I tried to avoid all-out wars so I rarely used armour and stuff. But I would often set it up so I could spray and kill heaps of guys with the assault rifle in a very aggressive combat scenario - but doing so safely. Ie, using cover, sneaking up behind a few first so I can get a couple in the head etc.

As an extension of the topic, however, what approaches do people use for choosing where to go with the story? In terms of killing Lebedev, choosing the endings etc. And I know most aren't IW fans, but I know most of you played it, and so also how you decided which faction to go with there and stuff.

I usually just trust my gut. My natural curiosity usually means I won't kill people outright or completely ignore what they have to say. I will give them a chance to speak their mind and then make a decision. For choosing the endings, I like to tackle the subject ethically and philosophically. But I'm also ruled by my ego, so that tends to play a role too. I chose Helios the first time round because it was pretty much better in every possible way. It potentially gives a chance to revolutionise government systems for the better - and while a dictator doesn't appeal to our current "common sense ideology"; it CAN be a better system. Furthermore, it made me practically God, and who doesn't like power? So that was just win-win for me, haha.

im pretty much exactly the same :)

Tsumaru
11th Aug 2008, 09:19
Damn. I thought I was special. =(

gh0s7
11th Aug 2008, 09:37
I'll go with (a bloody) number 3, as I approach each situation in the shadows, and take out all potential threats from afar; no use in triggering an alarm (scripted) and having them all on my back. :D
Sniping from as far away as possible is my favorite technique; tend to avoid close fighting, and even then I try to form ambushes with, at least, two possible escapes, and traps (preferably with explosives; nothing like leaving a LAM on a wall, letting one trigger it and baiting every nearby to come, allowing me to use the GEP Gun for a quick removal). :D

jcp28
11th Aug 2008, 15:40
Probably number 3, because I have to conserve my ammo for the bots. That would be because I don't want to waste rockets blowing up doors, when I can use multitools, lockpicks, or hacking to blow them up. I do sneak around in areas where I think it's possible to get shot up if I just run into an area with a few MJ12 commandos like that one area past the sewers with the three greasels below the rooftop in Paris.

Fen
11th Aug 2008, 16:16
3)

I use stealth throughout the start of the game a lot, picking targets carefully. My fav weapon is the crossbow. However as you get later in the game, it seems stealth becomes second to just running in and shooting everyone in the head.

minus0ne
11th Aug 2008, 16:25
I'd say mostly stealth, non-lethal approach. Rarely assault unless it's necessary (like at the silo), even then non-lethal where possible.

Also, on my last four or so playthroughs I've pretty much exclusively used:
Baton, riot prod, pepperspray, mini-crossbow (and some other melee weapons here and there like the DT, shurikens).

I'm hoping EM's really paying attention to the melee and stealth gameplay, expanding it beyond what Deus Ex did (even if that just means more melee weapon choices, or possibly even Splinter Cell like grab moves).

There was a topic like this already though, like jordan said.

gamer0004
11th Aug 2008, 17:09
3)

I use stealth throughout the start of the game a lot, picking targets carefully. My fav weapon is the crossbow. However as you get later in the game, it seems stealth becomes second to just running in and shooting everyone in the head.

Seriousley, stealth (in combination with non-lethal takedowns) gets easier later in the game. You can take out MJ12 commando's pretty easiliy with a prod, and you can even take them out with tranq darts (it takes 4 though). I forced myself to do the Rambo style (smart Rambo, using vents and stuff like that, evading enemies, but taking them out in real combat) runthrough last time, like the first time I played the game, and it was way, way harder than the stealth/non-lethal runtrough.

GruntOwner
11th Aug 2008, 18:27
Mostly 1. If I find myself in a full fledged firefight, I consider it a mission fail. I'm also kinda an oppurtunist in the "Hmm, GEP on the floor, something in the way. What the hell, not like I'm doing a pacifist run here" way. If I do assaults I try and end them as quickly as possible, finding the best vantage point so they won't be able to react before I drop their partner and sight in on their head. There are execeptions. If the terrain allows I will be more than happy to hack away at them one by one, namely the subway.

Blade_hunter
11th Aug 2008, 18:43
I respond number 3
I use both, sometimes assault, sometimes stealth, sometimes mid range tactics.
It's for that reason this game is unique

DarkStorm
14th Aug 2008, 13:47
Silent approach for sure. Crossbows, throwing knives, electric prods and silent sniping tactics are much more fun, in my opinion.

v.dog
14th Aug 2008, 19:29
I use stealth not to avoid combat, but to give me an edge during it. I love turning an enemy's security system against them, sitting back and watching the fireworks, and then picking off whoever/whatever is left.

When I'm actually fighting, my strategy depends on who or what I'm up against. I'll snipe weak enemies that are far from me, use the Dragon's tooth on those that are close, and GEP and LAM those who are strong. Common sense, really. :)

Romeo
15th Aug 2008, 01:13
I sometimes do like the french do: Run.

Sometimes I do what the Americans do: Grab the biggest gun I can find.

But I generally do what we Irishmen do: Drink until we can't see our enemies, and then start swinging wildly at the air.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Aug 2008, 07:17
I'd choose Option 3... but I prefer to use stealth as much as possible. :)

Necros
21st Aug 2008, 09:01
It depends. I usually go the non-lethal way, except for some nasy, evil bastards who deserve to die. :cool: Or just annoy me too much. :p :lol: Just kidding. :D Or I upgrade my pistol with a silencer and a scope, train my skill with that weapon and take down enemies from far away. But no unnecessary killings that way either, and I only kill those whom I have to, to get where I wanna go, the reast will just sleep for a while because of tranq darts or a blow to their heads from a baton. :)
Sometimes I go crazy and shoot people with what I've got, maybe even using cheats to cause some chaos but only after saving a game, so I can get back to playing it properly. :D

DXeXodus
21st Aug 2008, 09:10
the rest will just sleep for a while because of tranq darts

I have always found the Deus Ex Tranq dart concept to be an amazing thing. You have a dart, identical to that (in appearance) to the regular dart, except it contains a sedative (obviously). But when you shoot it, this massive dart goes straight into the guys head, an action which would actually instantly kill you. Lol. Well, atleast the sedative goes straight to the brain then, literally. :D

Clucky
21st Aug 2008, 09:31
I mainly use stealth, and low-tech weaponry. I just love the feel of giving that terrorist a good smack in the back of the head with the baton. I don't think I killed many people in my most recent run though of the original, and when I did it was usually in special circumstances. Like where you can gas the dormitories of the MJ12 facility you are taken into, just after UNATCO. For some reason I always felt guilty whenever I killed someone, most of the people were just doing their jobs. :(

CommanderHomer
21st Aug 2008, 09:39
I like to go nice and quiet, take most my enemies out from afar with a sniper, then just sneak around undetected doing lots of hacking in to PC's, but if i have to get my hands dirty a good old dragon tooth's sword does the trick :) , otherwise just hide around in the shadows killing the least amount of people as possible with weapons usually just using turrets where i am in no danger whatsoever and alarms rarely go off.

Overtime
21st Aug 2008, 09:49
One of my favorites was playing stealth sniper. But you soon become invincible. Though i had ammo problems sometimes, which made it more fun!

On my second time through the game i played through without killing anybody, as far as i could. That was really fun. New tactics

All on realistic of course.

Necros
21st Aug 2008, 09:57
I have always found the Deus Ex Tranq dart concept to be an amazing thing. You have a dart, identical to that (in appearance) to the regular dart, except it contains a sedative (obviously). But when you shoot it, this massive dart goes straight into the guys head, an action which would actually instantly kill you. Lol. Well, atleast the sedative goes straight to the brain then, literally. :D
Yeah, that's interesting. :D But I love it too despite this and I always miss it from other role playing games. I mean, not killing your opponents, other people should be an option in most of them, right? :rolleyes:

For some reason I always felt guilty whenever I killed someone, most of the people were just doing their jobs. :(
Same here. :thumbsup:

foxberg
21st Aug 2008, 14:36
For some reason I always felt guilty whenever I killed someone, most of the people were just doing their jobs. :(

So did Nazis in the concentration camps.

AaronJ
21st Aug 2008, 16:30
I'm both all the way. My mood is altered 999999999 times throughout a game.

gamer0004
21st Aug 2008, 17:02

In fact those were volunteers and for the actuall killing they used other prisoners.

Clucky
21st Aug 2008, 17:09

Thank you for the history lesson. I have learnt so much from this, and encourage you to make more comments like this.

CJRamze
21st Aug 2008, 17:20
The first time I played Deus ex 8 years ago,
That'd make me..... 12 years old
I ran in and shot everything up no questions asked.

I played it the other day and found that stealthing it up and gathering information was always the best way!

foxberg
21st Aug 2008, 18:28
#3. And I love the Sniper rifle.

Voltaire
21st Aug 2008, 20:51
I don't think that 1 or 2 are really that viable for sustained, casual play. [By casual, I don't mean thoughtless, just not as meticulously planned as a no weapons run]
It has to be 3 all the way. As soon as you come across a bundle of tranq darts and you're all out of assault rifle ammo, the smart money is on making the easy choice. For example: Hand to hand combat becomes a lot more viable when the dragon's tooth sword is acquired.

Freddo
22nd Aug 2008, 01:14
Stealth player here. I love to just sneak around and bring down a whole place with just a Riot Prod without anyone notice a thing.

DXeXodus
22nd Aug 2008, 04:51
I like to use mixed tactics when I play a game like Deus Ex. I love sneaking around and performing stealth kills and knockdowns, but i don't mind getting my hands dirty either if I have to. Especially if presented with a cool enough weapon such as the gep gun. :p

beep........ beep....... beeep beeep beeep beep..... woosh... boom

Necros
23rd Aug 2008, 02:43
but i don't mind getting my hands dirty either if I have to. Especially if presented with a cool enough weapon such as the gep gun. :p

"Son of a...." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOKduU05t4) :lol: :lmao:

drummindog
24th Aug 2008, 02:04
I like to use mixed tactics when I play a game like Deus Ex. I love sneaking around and performing stealth kills and knockdowns, but i don't mind getting my hands dirty either if I have to. Especially if presented with a cool enough weapon such as the gep gun. :p

Gotta Love the GEP gun!! :D

I reloaded the game and have been toying around on different levels. I like the Rambo approach. :lmao: Kill everything in sight. AHHHH I love the silence once I have obliterated all living matter.

Seriously though...
Having played the game though a couple of times or so, I do like to snipe out my "problems" from far away if possible. Its too easy to incur damage if you aren't dead on with the head shot from medium/close rage.

farmerbobconspiracist
24th Aug 2008, 02:59
I almost always try to be stealthy. Mainly because I find it easier (because I never picked up the defense augs and went with others). Even with ballistic armor, it's difficult to go all out rambo on the higher difficulties for me.

TrickyVein
27th Aug 2008, 13:52
Anyone else keep the stealth pistol issued by carter?

I decided to on my umpteenth playthrough, eventually making it to master around paris in the pistol skill...

darn thing still wasn't worth the ammo you put into it

why couldn't you just have put a silencer weapon mod onto the original pistol? WHY?

Tsumaru
27th Aug 2008, 14:29
I love silenced weapons, so yeah - I kept the stealth pistol. I would have liked to have it INSTEAD of the regular pistol, but the damage was terrible so I needed the normal one as backup just in case.

jcp28
27th Aug 2008, 21:08
I did; it was kind of a bad weapon, but my aiming tends to suck anyway, so I brushed it off.

Voltaire
27th Aug 2008, 21:16
Stealth Pistol was a let-down for me. It would be more effective to club an opponent with it's modern-art-sculpture-lookin' handle grip than use it as a firearm. You get stronger shots at the alcohol free tequila brewery.

farmerbobconspiracist
27th Aug 2008, 21:46
Personally, I loved the stealth pistol.

Jerion
28th Aug 2008, 01:43
The last time I played through I ditched the stealth pistol in favor of the regular one. I figured that if anybody heard the shot I'd take them down too. Plus it gave me an extra slot in the inventory when I didn't have to carry both around. But I also found that the Assault Shotgun is the most useful weapon of all time against MJ12 Commandos. 3 sabot rounds and they went down like so much dead weight. Can't believe it took me so long to discover that one- I'd never kept the AS through an entire play through before.

DXeXodus
28th Aug 2008, 03:55
I loved the stealth pistol. If you put a lot of effort into it in terms of accuracy, recoil, scope, etc it became awesome IMO. It had a fairly low damage, but if you are advanced or master in the pistol skill then two shots to the head and he is down. This is not so difficult to do seeing as the rate of fire was so quick compared to the primary pistol. The winning point for the stealth pistol was the rate of fire (and obviously it's quietness)