PDA

View Full Version : Time

mad_red
7th Aug 2008, 00:35
DX1 imparted a sense of urgency (story-wise) and hence, time. The hunt for the vaccine, to the kill-switch, the nuclear launch, as well as the articles and broadcasts reporting your activities, etc. Dx2 had it a little, but it was usually too simplistic or obvious.

I'd love to see those subtle reminders of time in DX3. In fact, most movies and books that take place in one day are rather good - Training Day, Spy Game, Ulysses, Under the Volcano, etc. (At the risk of going off-topic, can you name some more? I'm dying to know)

DX3 should be just too epic to take place on one day, but maybe a week is ok. What do you think?

timborg
7th Aug 2008, 01:40
i argee it should maybr take place in a year to get the feel of a real rpg

jordan_a
7th Aug 2008, 01:57
Personally I don't care about the timeline.

Jimmy Rabbitte
7th Aug 2008, 02:09
Oops, mistake.

DarkStorm
7th Aug 2008, 04:43
One day would be perfectly fine for me, I don't mind the sense of urgency at all. That being said, I don't think it's that important anyway.

Fen
7th Aug 2008, 12:23
1 day I think is a little short. Travelling from New York to Hong Kong by helicopter takes a while I reckon. Likewise recovering from major surgery to have a new limb installed wouldnt be a 10 min job.

I like the sense of urgency. The game shouldnt be a race to the end, but I like having a goal that cant just wait for a few weeks.

El_Bel
7th Aug 2008, 12:44
How much time did the events of Deus Ex take? :confused:

I would be satisfied with a month... of gaming :p

mad_red
7th Aug 2008, 21:24
I didn't mean to emphasize urgency so much - we definitely don't need that throughout the game (not in UNATCO hq for example). The point is that the player should have a sense of the passage of time.

A lot of plots are either too simple and obvious (get to the doomsday device before it goes off), or rather vague about or entirely omitting the timeline. I'm just beginning realize that imparting a sense of time really helps with immersion, and can change the feel of the game in a lot of ways.

Additionally, I think the writers should definitely lay out a timeline for the events in the game, even if they don't present it to us on a silver platter. But hey, I'm not a writer.

PS. El_Bel, I'm think there might be an answer to your question in the DX continuity bible

urban_queen41
9th Aug 2008, 00:31
Great idea. I remember how freaked out I was when the killswitch was turned on- "holy crap gotta get to hong kong only 12 hours left crap crap crap"

There needs to be something like that in the next game.

Jerion
9th Aug 2008, 00:58
Great idea. I remember how freaked out I was when the killswitch was turned on- "holy crap gotta get to hong kong only 12 hours left crap crap crap"

There needs to be something like that in the next game.

Definitely. I can also remember getting ticked off at gordon quick for not letting me get to Tong right away. Good thing I had the great Synapse music to calm my nerves a little. :D

Nathan2000
9th Aug 2008, 11:18
How much time did the events of Deus Ex take? :confused:

Some people tried to check it out but the findings vary from 4 to 6 days.