PDA

View Full Version : TombLover And TombRaiderPrincess Team Up!

TombRaiderPrincess
6th Aug 2008, 10:50
TombRaiderPrincess- Hi
TombLover- Hey raiders!
TombRaiderPrincess- We have teamed up to have a campaigne to have NO CHECKPOINTS in Underworld and bring back the good old fashioned 'save-where-you-want' saving. YAY! What do you think TombLover?
TombLover- Duh, this is why i teamed up with you, TombRaiderPrincess!!!
TombRaiderPrincess- HOORRAAHH!!
TombLover-Yay!! Tell us what you think, people.
TombRaiderPrincess- Bye!!!
TombLover- Bye!!!

LaraCroftRox
6th Aug 2008, 11:00
Oops, I voted for the wrong thing. I meant to vote for checkpoints rock. I want the checkpoints back, becuase it makes it harder and also, it would use up disk space unneesarily, which could be spent on more important things. :) :rasp:

Spong
6th Aug 2008, 16:38
It was all very good until you two said you wanted to bring back "save-where-you-want" saving. That's far far far far far far far far far worse than the insulting frequency checkpoints of Legend and Anniversary.

Bring back the brutal and unforgiving save crystals of the PSOne & Saturn's TR1, the game's never been the same since.

I voted no (if that's what "Checkpoints to the dooommmm!!" meant).

lilhanhan
6th Aug 2008, 16:46
It was all very good until you two said you wanted to bring back "save-where-you-want" saving. That's far far far far far far far far far worse than the insulting frequency checkpoints of Legend and Anniversary.

Bring back the brutal and unforgiving save crystals of the PSOne & Saturn's TR1, the game's never been the same since.

I agree, it was so much more scary when you realised you needed to do half of the level again, instead of just saving in a spot where you knew something bad was going to happen; there was more tension!

Also, although the checkpoints try to do the same thing, they appear to frequently, which sometimes annoys me...

So I voted for no!

feanor1999
6th Aug 2008, 16:46

Ayup Spong...

No No No No No !

A Draconian save system would kill a little of the games playabiliy...

What is needed is a medium between the two. Not as many Checkpoints i grant you, but Checkpoints in 'Sensible' places... And save where-you want should be an option... maybe if you chose that option, you should get a lower overall score for the game and be forced to replay in a 'Harder' mode... and NO SAVECRYSTALS... GRRRRRRR ! :rolleyes: ;)

The game's gotta be able to be played by 'less accomplished' 'casual' gamers too....

Vildevion
6th Aug 2008, 16:53
Haven't you hear in TRU first gameplay vid (if you have seen it)?. There is that sound of checkpoint. I like of checkpoints ^^

Spong
6th Aug 2008, 16:59
Saving where you want removes any challenge. Tricky jump? Just save it. Hard enemy? Just save it. That's not playing the game, not to me. I want the game to expect me to reach a certain point before it will register any progress at all.

A choice of saving is the only way to go I guess. Checkpoints and save-anywhere systems pretty much undermine any and all of the challenge in my opinion, but people want that (:scratch:). I want the game to punish me and compound every little mistake I make, and the only way to bring back that enjoyment is to bring back the old Save Crystal system from TR1. That risk, that sense of "Oh God, what if I screw this up?" has been completely erased and it's such a shame.

rg_001100
7th Aug 2008, 03:14

I think "Checkpoints to the dooommmm!!" goes against what you say here: :scratch: (It's not all that clear)

Saving where you want removes any challenge. Tricky jump? Just save it. Hard enemy? Just save it. That's not playing the game, not to me. I want the game to expect me to reach a certain point before it will register any progress at all.

A choice of saving is the only way to go I guess. Checkpoints and save-anywhere systems pretty much undermine any and all of the challenge in my opinion, but people want that (:scratch:). I want the game to punish me and compound every little mistake I make, and the only way to bring back that enjoyment is to bring back the old Save Crystal system from TR1. That risk, that sense of "Oh God, what if I screw this up?" has been completely erased and it's such a shame.

I agree with this. (It's not going to happen, because that would be too "hard"... it would be nice if it was an option, or on hard mode or something).

Spong
7th Aug 2008, 03:41
I think "Checkpoints to the dooommmm!!" goes against what you say here: :scratch: (It's not all that clear)

I just figured it was the opposite to "Checkpoints rock!!". I dunno, kids today. Why can't you all just speak (or type) in proper English?

rg_001100
7th Aug 2008, 03:43
I just figured it was the opposite to "Checkpoints rock!!". I dunno, kids today. Why can't you all just speak (or type) in proper English?

I think one option was "save anywhere" and the other "checkpoints"...

But the TR1 save system sounds good.
Another one that would be easier, but still allow playing between saves would be to restrict saving to a timer maybe... once you save you can't save for another half hour (or whatever)... and if you want to hang around for a half hour doing nothing, your choice...

Spong
7th Aug 2008, 03:48
I can't recall which TR did it on the PSOne, but you could collect the Save Crystals and use them as and when you liked so long as you had them in your inventory. A difficulty level could perhaps limit the supply.

There's all kinds of ways they could implement it really, I just hope that CD don't pander to casual gamers like they did with Legend & Anniversary.

rg_001100
7th Aug 2008, 03:51
I can't recall which TR did it on the PSOne, but you could collect the Save Crystals and use them as and when you liked so long as you had them in your inventory. A difficulty level could perhaps limit the supply.

There's all kinds of ways they could implement it really, I just hope that CD don't pander to casual gamers like they did with Legend & Anniversary.

From what I heard, TR1 was save on the crystal spot, TR2 or 3 was collect the crystal to save. After that it was save anywhere (like what the PC has always had)...

And not so much that they don't pander to casual gamers, but that they don't let that get in the way for the more-hardcore players.

Spong
7th Aug 2008, 03:59
I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure TR2 on PSOne was save anywhere. Which means TR3 must've been the system where the Crystals were in Lara's inventory.

And not so much that they don't pander to casual gamers, but that they don't let that get in the way for the more-hardcore players.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I should've clarified.

TombRaiderPrincess
7th Aug 2008, 18:26
and NO SAVECRYSTALS... GRRRRRRR ! :rolleyes: ;)

Teehee. I remember when I was playing TR1 and my friend came in and yelled 'YAHH A BLUE FAIRY!!'

Naming no name:rolleyes: *cough*LaraCroftRox*cough*

LaraCroftRox
7th Aug 2008, 18:37
TRP - shut the hell up. I was young and foolish. :lol:

TombRaiderPrincess
7th Aug 2008, 18:52
Uh... it was a month or two ago... idiot...:nut:

lilhanhan
7th Aug 2008, 18:53
TRP - shut the hell up. I was young and foolish. :lol:

Don't worry, when I first saw one I was scared of letting Lara touch it...my dad needed to show me what it was! :o (I was 5 at the time...) :D

rg_001100
7th Aug 2008, 18:55
Explain what each option means... I think I came to the conclusion of "neither" or something... I still have yet to vote.

TombRaiderPrincess
7th Aug 2008, 18:59
Checkpoint Rock!!! - Keep checkpoints

Checkpoints to thier DOOOMMMMMM!!!!! - bring back the saving anytime thingies...

Should really have done a neither option... Idiot child:mad2:

Spong
7th Aug 2008, 19:34
Should really have done a neither option... Idiot child:mad2:

Yes, my vote was miscast in the light of your revelation. And I don't think you calling LCR an idiot was right. Certainly not when given the last two words I just quoted.

Cheese is nice.
7th Aug 2008, 20:00
Hate CHECKPOINTS!!!! BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!!!!!:lmao:

TR_genius
7th Aug 2008, 20:10
I voted for No Checkpoint simply beacuse it made the games too easy, Like Spong said there should be no save where you want either because you can easily safe before something hard comes in the game, I want to be able to play the game dangerously thats what the game is about and Lara. I think they should be checkpoints but I want them to come up in a level rare to make it more challenging. If not that I would prefer it to be more like the original tomb raider with crystals because it feels good that you need to reach a certain point in the game to survive. There are my opinions for TRU guys:D

Joey91
7th Aug 2008, 20:43
I voted yes for the checkpoints but I don't mind the old save crystals...the only thing that got in to my way ( and almost in all games where you have free save option), is that if I play and get really into the game my mind's not on saving..it's kill the enemy or boss or whatever and if I failed I then get dissapionted at myself for not saving and have to start over almost from the beginning :) but hey! that's just me :P so I pretty much prefer the checkpoints :D:D:D

Singstar90210
7th Aug 2008, 20:57
Ayup Spong...

No No No No No !

A Draconian save system would kill a little of the games playabiliy...

What is needed is a medium between the two. Not as many Checkpoints i grant you, but Checkpoints in 'Sensible' places... And save where-you want should be an option... maybe if you chose that option, you should get a lower overall score for the game and be forced to replay in a 'Harder' mode... and NO SAVECRYSTALS... GRRRRRRR ! :rolleyes: ;)

The game's gotta be able to be played by 'less accomplished' 'casual' gamers too....

Exactly! Sensible places, not eradication! I just hate replaying the entire level all over again when I get so far! (Besides isn't this debate already settled? The pre-beta stage demo clearly showed that checkpoints are going to be present.)

Good point, but when you get to the challenge it gets daunting and sometimes a person feels like saving so that they can come back to the challenge later. But I don't think gamers need to worry about that because TRU's going to be non-linear so there are many paths to choose from.

The game is non-linear and is completely different from Anniversary and Legend storylength wise. So we have different paths and different ways to take when it comes to gaming methods. No matter how we save the game, the challenges are always going to be there one after the other!

Dr.Willard
7th Aug 2008, 21:08

Ok I should mention, I voted for the wrong bluddy thing. Tsk, silly me. I don't concur with checkpoints; they absolutely drive me insane.

Now onto Spong's post. I completely acquiesce. I certainly feel the same passion you get from the game when it punishes you. It makes you come back and hit it with twice the fury I think. I can't begin to illustrate how much enjoyment I got from the Tomb Raider 1's save crystals.