PDA

View Full Version : Urge to play the original TR

JohnRaider
5th Aug 2008, 19:35
After finishing Anniversary I have a strong urge to replay the original. I've lost all my copies of TR1 except for the sega saturn and mac versions. However, the problem is that I don't own a saturn console anymore and I don't use my mac anymore.

Should I purchase the original tomb raider for PC and PSX? The reason I ask if because I could never get the visuals/sound right with the original even on a windows 98 based computer. Also, I just got a PS3 last month and was wondering how the original displayed with the upscale and smooth features turned on.

Spong
5th Aug 2008, 19:49
I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum that someone was having issues/problems with playing TR3 on PS3 even though all the old TRs are apparently supposed to work fine.

I'd go with the PSOne version purely for ease of use if you've had grief with the PC version in the past. You get the proper soundtrack as well.

TR_genius
6th Aug 2008, 09:14
I'd go with the PSOne version purely for ease of use if you've had grief with the PC version in the past. You get the proper soundtrack as well.

Yeah the psone I have never had problems playing the original TR on:)

humbug
6th Aug 2008, 09:24
I play the orginal TR on my pc. You can download the audio packs for the whole game at glidos and use their installer pack to install TR properly. You may want to also use glidos to run the game in as well, but that costs $10 which is roughly £5.

It is a pain in the proverbial to get TR1 to work on PC, but it can be done! If you get a PS1 it will be easier to get it to work.

Have you got a PS2? My son has one of the fat PS2's and TR works fine, but you need a PS1 memory card to save the game.

LisaB1962
6th Aug 2008, 11:31
PS1 discs will work in the fat PS2 and the slim PS2. I've got the 80 gig PS3 and they work fine there as well. I keep hoping Sony will offer them in the PS store.

fibra
6th Aug 2008, 12:08
hey i haven't asked around but i had heard until now that the games of psone and ps2 won't work on ps3.now i am hearing the opposite.so will they also work on ps3?

LisaB1962
6th Aug 2008, 15:47
The BC is not 100%, but I have yet to hit a game that doesn't work.

Of course, you have to buy a PS3 that is backwards compatible, which is all of the sixty gigs and the "current" 80 gig. There will be a new 80 gig coming out that has a $399 price tag, but I understand it will NOT be backwards compatible.

It just dawned on me: will PS1 (and PS2) games downloaded via the PS Store dodge the BC requirement? If not, will buyers be warned they're about to download a game that their system will not play?

Lagoon Bug
7th Aug 2008, 10:32
I've also been curious about the original Tomb Raider. I beat Anniversary yesterday. Now the hard part is trying to find one on sale...