PDA

View Full Version : Up to speed

Demiurge
5th Aug 2008, 14:44
Hi all. I've been reading more and more complaints about this 'lack of info' of late, and have thought of a cheap and cheerful way that I hope Eidos will consider using. Sorry in advance if any of these ideas have been discussed before but I have been away for a bit and so have missed some things.

How about making a mini graphic novel to bring us up to speed with the events of the game? They could release a few pages or a chapter every month just to give us an idea of the kind of world DX3 will be. They could use a few minor characters that we may/may not encounter in the game itself, but it would help give people a proper feel of the game and would keep fans interested, as well as attracting new fans. This shouldn't be a hard task to accomplish, Eidos is a wealthy company and has a fairly well-funded press department. If a novel seems like too much I wouldn't mind seeing a few newspaper articles from the "Midnight Sun" or such. None of the above need to be related in any way to the core theme of the game, but would help give us a sense of context. Ideas? Yay or Nay?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2008, 15:33
Nice idea but I would vote no, sorry. :o

There has already been plenty of discussion about receiving updates and I think the majority of us concluded that we should give Eidos Montreal plenty of time and freedom, without pressure, to get on with creating DX3.

We have been told by the staff here that we will get information/updates when the time is right.
I can't speak for others, but I am happy to wait patiently. :thumbsup:

Demiurge
5th Aug 2008, 15:36
Hmm really? The idea was not so much for information, but for entertainment and to give us something more to talk about and more chances for wild speculation. I am happy for the game to come out in its own time but I would prefer to know a little bit more about where they are going with it instead of finding out a month before release.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2008, 15:46
Well, in what sort of way do you mean exactly. :confused:
From your suggestions in the introduction, it appears that the ideas would have to reveal main elements of the DX3 world, the characters etc.
I know you suggested that information doesn't have to actually relate to the game... but, then, what would be the point?

I don't think there are any real 'complaints' about the lack of info/news. Only one member on this forum took that view and they subsequently decided to leave anyway, lol. Fans of the game will remain interested in DX3 from now until its release date, in my opinion. :)

carldavid1887
5th Aug 2008, 16:31
I would appreciate it if Eidos would present some of the models (like a Unatco-Trooper or sth.) or other minor things beforehand. The producers of Gothic did that, was really cool and created a lot of pleasant anticipation.

But that took place in the last 9 months of developing, so there is plenty of time left.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2008, 16:56
Exactly, there is plenty of time.
As staff have said, we will get relevant updates when the time is right. :)

Demiurge
5th Aug 2008, 17:15
Ok I will clarify. What I meant included some minor/sideline stories from the world given through graphic novel/newspaper article/interview with a prominent person it the DX3 universe etc.

Examples:

Graphic novel- a few scientists talking about a breakthrough in [insert evil project here] development, what it would do/ problems/ talking about various factions, giving opinions, current problems in their world, but not necessarily anything that will give away the major theme, just a bit of backstory on the year [insert year here].

Newspaper article- OH MY GOD! GREASELS HAVE ESCAPED!!! Just an example for somthing that is happening in the DX3 world.

Interview- Hello we are interviewing [insert Bob Page wannabe's name here] on his corporation's recent success, we understand you are marketing military bots to small children, would you care to explain the rationale behind this Mr Pob Bage?;)

Just a couple silly examples but you get the idea. Would provide entertainment and strengthen the fanbase.:D

El_Bel
5th Aug 2008, 17:32
I am doing that for fun!! Hey! We could all make that!! And post the in a thread!! And maybe, just maybe, the developers will do us the honor of using some of our articles (changing some names, dates etc. to fit the world) on the game!! Is it possible?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Aug 2008, 19:26
Ok I will clarify. What I meant included some minor/sideline stories from the world given through graphic novel/newspaper article/interview with a prominent person it the DX3 universe etc.

Examples:

Graphic novel- a few scientists talking about a breakthrough in [insert evil project here] development, what it would do/ problems/ talking about various factions, giving opinions, current problems in their world, but not necessarily anything that will give away the major theme, just a bit of backstory on the year [insert year here].

Newspaper article- OH MY GOD! GREASELS HAVE ESCAPED!!! Just an example for somthing that is happening in the DX3 world.

Interview- Hello we are interviewing [insert Bob Page wannabe's name here] on his corporation's recent success, we understand you are marketing military bots to small children, would you care to explain the rationale behind this Mr Pob Bage?;)

Just a couple silly examples but you get the idea. Would provide entertainment and strengthen the fanbase.:D

Yes, thank you. I get the idea but that would involve making time to do all this. Shouldn't we allow them all the time to get on with the game proper? :p

El_Bel suggests that we could do it. I think that would be a better approach. :thumbsup:

Red
6th Aug 2008, 08:04
Deus Ex manga?! HELL YEAH! :thumbsup:

Cr4sh
6th Aug 2008, 08:20
I'll probably give it a try after my exams, but I'm not good at drawing...

Demiurge
6th Aug 2008, 09:00
Hmm I wasn't suggesting the Devs do it, just some people they hired. Still I'm rubbish at drawing, but could do articles. If we want to do this we need a few more ideas from the community, possibly making better if we would be given the time setting? Well if the mods could tell us if this would be possible as I reckon Eidos could do a good job of it. If not, we'll give it a shot.:mad2:

Tsumaru
6th Aug 2008, 12:38
Not commenting on the idea itself, but... if it *did* happen, it wouldn't impact on the development on the game to any real degree. As Demiurge said just above, they would obviously have different artists who do it. It would only take time for the world/lore guys to outline the info, and just mostly cost money. But as they say - you gotta spend money to make money. It could be viable to raise awareness and interest. *shrugs*

AaronJ
6th Aug 2008, 14:51
Deus Ex manga?! HELL YEAH! :thumbsup:

I'm going to go shoot myself in the face.

Clucky
6th Aug 2008, 15:05
I'm going to go shoot myself in the face.

I'm after you with the .44.

jcp28
6th Aug 2008, 15:51
^

Forget that! I'm gonna gouge out my eyes with a branding iron so I don't have to see any of that awful optical pollution!

Demiurge
6th Aug 2008, 23:15
I wasn't suggesting manga, I'm not a huge fan of the style myself and I don't think it would be the best for showing Deus Ex, I was actually saying a graphic novel for this. This does seem to be one of those occasions where spending a bit of money would increase interest in the game. Incentives Eidos?:D