5th Aug 2008, 05:41
To slice and dice a long story short...

Freeze random.
Restart.
Not very happy.
Try again.
Same.
Not very happy.

So yeah... anyone know how to fix this BIG error?

oh btw, i got the 1.02 patch.

Linikratyo
5th Aug 2008, 08:28
I don't know. I run BO2 on Vista with the patch, but it works fine. Can you maybe say what type of computer you have?? :scratch:

Dimension Guardian
5th Aug 2008, 15:46
I don't know. I run BO2 on Vista with the patch, but it works fine. Can you maybe say what type of computer you have?? :scratch:

Windows XP SP2
Graphic card is fx 5200 128MB (Don't laugh)
768MB of RAM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz Dual processor
Sound card "Creative SB Live! Series" ...:confused:

Linikratyo
5th Aug 2008, 17:56
well it looks like it's is good. I had this kind of a computer too and BO2 worked perfectly on it.... well you can install BO2 full or minimum and there is a patch for BO2, so maybe you could test a bit and find out if it then works.... :scratch:

Dimension Guardian
5th Aug 2008, 18:33
well it looks like it's is good. I had this kind of a computer too and BO2 worked perfectly on it.... well you can install BO2 full or minimum and there is a patch for BO2, so maybe you could test a bit and find out if it then works.... :scratch:

I have to restart my computer everytime it Crash/Freeze and thats not a good thing.

I try Ctrl + Alt + Delete but nothing works.

Linikratyo
5th Aug 2008, 18:50
when does it crash/freeze?? :scratch:

Dimension Guardian
5th Aug 2008, 19:59
when does it crash/freeze?? :scratch:

Well its kind of random but around 10 - 15 seconds of gameplay.

Linikratyo
6th Aug 2008, 08:15
I understand you problem now..... did you try to reinstall in in minimum/maximum install???? There is also a patch. Maybe you should try that too... :scratch:

Irmok the Mad
8th Aug 2008, 05:58
Make sure that all the Sound Card's fancy options are off. That includes EAX effects, CMSS and the other trinkets. BO2 dosen't like those features.

Also try a clean boot, operating system tweaks (mainly services, pagefile, etc.), defrag and for extreme measures, try converting some of BO2's program instructions from FPU into SSE with this utility (http://www.angelfire.com/games6/timeslip/xf1/exeopt1.7.zip).

Also update your video driver. Don't get the latest version. Get Forceware 43.45 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_43.45.html), it works with the FX5200 better than any other driver. If you are advanced with driver installations, you can trick your forceware driver installation into thinking your video card is a Ti4200. This neat little trick makes the FX5200 perform much better without losing any PS_2.0 features for newer games. Though it won't improve your PS_2.0 performance. The entire FX series was crippled for that.

Dimension Guardian
8th Aug 2008, 21:20
Make sure that all the Sound Card's fancy options are off. That includes EAX effects, CMSS and the other trinkets. BO2 dosen't like those features.

Also try a clean boot, operating system tweaks (mainly services, pagefile, etc.), defrag and for extreme measures, try converting some of BO2's program instructions from FPU into SSE with this utility (http://www.angelfire.com/games6/timeslip/xf1/exeopt1.7.zip).

Also update your video driver. Don't get the latest version. Get Forceware 43.45 (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_43.45.html), it works with the FX5200 better than any other driver. If you are advanced with driver installations, you can trick your forceware driver installation into thinking your video card is a Ti4200. This neat little trick makes the FX5200 perform much better without losing any PS_2.0 features for newer games. Though it won't improve your PS_2.0 performance. The entire FX series was crippled for that.

i did system tweaks but i never changed the sound settings...

I'll try changing the sound setting and see if it works.

Linikratyo
9th Aug 2008, 07:54

Thank you Irmok!! :thumbsup: :D

TheArkive
20th Dec 2008, 17:12
Irmok

Can you post that utility again please? The link is dead, and I'm having the same issue with crashing after using the BO2 1.02 update.

Here's my system specs:

P4 AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
(mobo = AMD KN8 SLI ... rather old by now)
nForce4 v6.86 driver
XP Pro SP3
ATI Radeon 1900 512 MB (PCIe) + Catalyst v8.12 driver
Realtek AC'97 + A4.06 driver
DirectX v9.0c
SATA HDD (in IDE mode)
C Drive in NTFS (not FAT32) ... problem?

All this crap really makes me wish I still had a Win98 pc :(

Irmok the Mad
21st Jun 2009, 02:53
Timeslip apparently has moved his website since I last posted the link to the utility. here (http://timeslip.chorrol.com/exeopt.html) is the link to the utility from his new website.

If you have any troubles using this utility on Blood Omen 2 just tell and ask, and I will give out further tips and instructions.

TheArkive
28th Jun 2009, 20:19
Thanks Irmok, much appreciated.

I'll give it a shot today. I have another update that resolved my problem. I have an A-BIT KN8 SLI motherboard (AMD based). I had it maxed out a 4GB of memory. I had the funny idea to remove memory. To keep it short, in the end I removed 2GB of memory, and now it runs perfect.

I remember seeing documentation on some motherboards having issues when the memory is maxed out. That is what gave me this idea.

Needless to say, I miss my 4GB of RAM :( ... though I can hardly notice, and it's quite nice to see my old games working again. This actually got many other games to work as well:

Leisure Suit Larry - Magna *** Laude
Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain - Defiance
Gears of War

Those games were affected by the same "stutter sound and freeze" glitch I was having with BO2. But removing some RAM did the trick. Funny thing is, I have other games that run just fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any idea?

Irmok the Mad
1st Jul 2009, 02:12
Those games were affected by the same "stutter sound and freeze" glitch I was having with BO2. But removing some RAM did the trick. Funny thing is, I have other games that run just fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any idea?

Stutter sounds and freezes can be caused by many things, the most common being:

IRQ conflicts (Too many devices connected?)
Hardware Acceleration with some sound cards, mostly budget priced ones.
Overclocking
An Isolated amount of Mainboard/CPU/GPU/Sound/ATA configurations.

Also...

NOTE: I forgot to mention that Timeslip's utility has best results with Intel processors due to the nature of SSE instructions and how AMD processors handle them differently.

EDIT:

EXTRA NOTE: The bo2.exe patch results should range in the upper 90's. If they don't, consult me and we'll troubleshoot.

evilgeko
7th Sep 2009, 12:47
And so I have the same problem, in the first level (Slums) until around 60% it all went smooth, then from that until 85% of the level I had one freeze, and after 85% from that checkpoint on the roof it freezes like crazy, I can't even get to the next checkpoint, sometimes it freezes after a minute and sometimes after 5min, totaly random.

I use 1.02 patch btw, and I tried "exe optimizer" that Irmok the Mad posted but no luck, it patches it, waits a little bit and then I get "Access to the path 'sse.exe' is denied", maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know.

I use Windows 7 and processor is Intel QuadCore Q6600.