PDA

View Full Version : MISC. New testers share your first impressions of the game.

Snikch
9th Jan 2014, 11:44
Hi.

Now that there's been more testers added (Me included) I thought you might want to have some first impressions from us. Here are mine:

1. I love the high paced game play although I found it hard to learn the different abilities due to this high pace. Maybe a tutorial mode option would be a good idea?

2. I didn't have a chance to play many matches but it seemed like there were set starting positions. Does this not open up for a risk of spawn camping?

3. I like that sound is an important aspect for locating your enemy, like how vampires growl/stomp/flap wings when they use their abilities.

4. In the lobby I would like an option to show your teammates which classes you prefer, or at least some way to coordinate a game plan before the match starts.

Generally though I am very impressed at the state of this game considering it's still in alpha. Well done!

cmstache
9th Jan 2014, 12:51
Hi.

Now that there's been more testers added (Me included) I thought you might want to have some first impressions from us. Here are mine:

1. I love the high paced game play although I found it hard to learn the different abilities due to this high pace. Maybe a tutorial mode option would be a good idea?

Try the new recruits section, or asking some of the veteran players. Voice-chat helps a ton. I was in the last group of invited sent out in Nov. so, I know what you mean.

2. I didn't have a chance to play many matches but it seemed like there were set starting positions. Does this not open up for a risk of spawn camping?

If there is, I haven't noticed. Spawns tend to be away from the combat. The beginning might be preset so some extent (being a few diff layouts) but the humans are always close-by and the vamps have a bit more space. It's a solid system to allow the players time to coordinate before the fight happens.

3. I like that sound is an important aspect for locating your enemy, like how vampires growl/stomp/flap wings when they use their abilities.

I agree, it's nice.

4. In the lobby I would like an option to show your teammates which classes you prefer, or at least some way to coordinate a game plan before the match starts.

The problem is, you don't know your team until it starts unless you know you're up against a pre-made, which soon won't matter for a while. When the voice-chat system is fixed it should help alleviate this. For now, try to get help from the veteran players. You'll also start to notice that certain classes play differently, which helps.

Generally though I am very impressed at the state of this game considering it's still in alpha. Well done!

I agree. You'll see some hardcore critiquing from us on the devs some. But, keep in mind, the game is well-done. Many of the issues you read about only occur at higher levels of gameplay, which you'll need some time to get used to before you even notice.

Responses are inline.

Snikch
9th Jan 2014, 14:16
Thanks for the reply, my observations were mainly meant for the developers to get some idea of what new players might observe and a few suggestions about how to deal with that. For my own part I will probably stay away from guides etc and try to learn it myself. I like exploring games and see what can be done without having too many influences from other players :)

For my fourth point I meant something like a longer countdown after the teams were set that can be bypassed by a ready button or something similar. About 30 sec or something like that, just so you have the chance to get some kind of coordination going.

Shirokurou
9th Jan 2014, 19:20
The lack of tutorial was rather counterintuitive, but that's what these tests are for.

I liked it overall, though I did only get into one game and we lost.

The gameplay is still something I need to get used to to give more confident feedback, but I like the style.

Kuro1n
9th Jan 2014, 19:27
Started yesterday and played for quite a bit, enjoyed it greatly but opposite from OP I wish the game was slightly faster paced and with less aim assist making it harder to master. Right now it feels like I am close to mastering the classes I have played and that is after playing only 4 hours.

urganite
9th Jan 2014, 23:13
How do I put this...the gameplay is pretty good, feels nice, engine works fine. I like asymmetric combat. At the same time, I feel like I'll be done with this game in quite short order. I have no idea what play modes are in the works, but store weapons being temporal and the game itself not having any specific goal, the game's progression is non-existent. Not that item progression is compelling or anything, but there's not much else to go on.

That said, I've already been down this road with Tribes: Ascend. It's fun to play, occasionally, however as an adult with a job, and as someone who views paying money for any game functionality in an absolutely negative fashion, I have only to wait until a locked class (Brute) appears with an overpowered weapon or ability (Extended Fractal) and I'll never play the game again. I have paid for many cosmetic items in League of Legends, honestly, so it's not like I dislike the idea of buying things in F2P games. But, this game lacks strategic depth, has no meta-game, has no item progression, either account-wise or in-game, has no factions to which players can become loyal...it basically has no draw other than "hey, look, LoK". Which is a little depressing because the game plays well and is pretty fun, fairly easy to pick up. I hope play modes and classes will add more depth, but I don't feel drawn to play this except because I hope that additions will make it more interesting in a lasting way, but I'm not totally sure how other game modes and non-interactive lore will be able to do this.

Razaiim
10th Jan 2014, 06:03
How do I put this...the gameplay is pretty good, feels nice, engine works fine. I like asymmetric combat. At the same time, I feel like I'll be done with this game in quite short order. I have no idea what play modes are in the works, but store weapons being temporal and the game itself not having any specific goal, the game's progression is non-existent. Not that item progression is compelling or anything, but there's not much else to go on.

That said, I've already been down this road with Tribes: Ascend. It's fun to play, occasionally, however as an adult with a job, and as someone who views paying money for any game functionality in an absolutely negative fashion, I have only to wait until a locked class (Brute) appears with an overpowered weapon or ability (Extended Fractal) and I'll never play the game again. I have paid for many cosmetic items in League of Legends, honestly, so it's not like I dislike the idea of buying things in F2P games. But, this game lacks strategic depth, has no meta-game, has no item progression, either account-wise or in-game, has no factions to which players can become loyal...it basically has no draw other than "hey, look, LoK". Which is a little depressing because the game plays well and is pretty fun, fairly easy to pick up. I hope play modes and classes will add more depth, but I don't feel drawn to play this except because I hope that additions will make it more interesting in a lasting way, but I'm not totally sure how other game modes and non-interactive lore will be able to do this.

Hey for that wall of last paragraph stuff, that is coming. The strategy issue will be worked out once voice comes in (and its not abused by the whiny masses), they've hinted at plans for new classes, and the current ranking system is actually incomplete as i understand it. I know how you feel and really only play this every few days now, but it should pick up.

Strike5150
10th Jan 2014, 15:36
Its still in alpha and there are quite a few features specifically along the lines you have mentioned which the devs have hinted are coming in the future. So hang tight and I'm sure at least some of your concerns will be dealt with :). They devs have also stated a number of times that there is no intention to give advantage to players paying money vs those that don't. The weapons are intended to provided a different style of play that is not more powerful just different.

SandValleyKid
10th Jan 2014, 21:04
I've enjoyed what i've played so far. The controls were easy to pick up and it was a lot of fun. Oddly though in the background i could faintly see numbers all over the screen,

cmstache
10th Jan 2014, 21:06
That's the watermark. It's unique to each individual, incase info is leaked. They then know who did it.

Varulven
10th Jan 2014, 21:06
Oddly though in the background i could faintly see numbers all over the screen,

It is your ID. If you post screenshots or videos on the web, they know who you are and can punish you ;)

SandValleyKid
10th Jan 2014, 21:09
Thank you, I can understand that.

Ferizz
10th Jan 2014, 22:59
I like the gameplay and a tutorial sure would have been nice but i looked up the controls in the options and any questions i had i found the answers to at the forums. I think some kind of ''top players list'' that would be based on for example the scores would be interesting.

Syst3mzero
11th Jan 2014, 03:07

Incorrect you have the choice of temporary (cheap) and permanent (more expensive) and these can be bought using gold from match rewards (I buy a new permanent nearly every day of testing) or if you want to sink some cash in you can pay to unlock them a little quicker.

To see the buying options click buy, it then has an option to unlock them temporarily as default or click the permanent button to see cost to unlock them permanently.

Kuro1n
11th Jan 2014, 03:15
Honestly I feel like the prices are really cheap, I wonder if they will go up before launch.

Arykel
11th Jan 2014, 12:01
Awwww Hi Kuro :) , i always played againts you , but i want to play with you :3 (we need a party system naw).

My feedback, i'm a legacy of kain/soul reaven fan , and this game... this game... it's just awesome (you don't know how badly i wanted to fly with Raziel ... and you dev team, have made my dream , thx a lot! (lol i was listening The Sentinel "Judas Priest")) , i loved the fps Shadowrun but people just complain about it(WHY?! i HATE YOU ALL!) , i don't want to see this great game fall like others great games, the gameplay is solid as a rock , graphics are nice and sound too.

And this is my feedback posted in steam (sry xD):

I don't have any feedback , only THANKS DEV TEAM , this game , even in alpha is awesome , and is game based on Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver world , at first i was like " ... it's goin to be a sh**y game based in one of my fav videogames T_T" but i started playing... O M G ... even it cost 50€ i will pay for it but is a f2p game , I can't find something wrong about it , the gameplay is fluid , intense , inmersive and tactic (oh yeah , it's not a MOBA! :D) , i have played doin teamwork and this game have a lot of possibilities and ways to win a match.
The habilities and perks are cool and balanced for now (lol is this an alpha?).
Also , is not a p2w game , you can have all weapons , skills , perks but that doesn't mean you are going to win , you can only carry 4 skills per char in a game match , this game is based on the player skill , you need to know how to play your cards at the right time , and playing has human looks like doom or quake lol and with sacred habilities , it's awesome.

THANK YOU Psyonix and Square Enix for your good work and for not destroying my childhood memories , i only hope for the best of this game , and i hope you will be supporting the community and making new cool content like chars , skills , etc.
Very thanks... can't wait to play again!.

DeeArc
16th Jan 2014, 07:26
I've only one day with it, so my thoughts might not be complete or well-informed, but I like it. While it's not as accessible off the bat as I think it should be, there's all the elements for something good, and a skill set required to get good at this. The biggest problem will be keeping interest in the game.

I had some problems hopping into the saddle due to the (somewhat awkward) controls. The fact that there's an FAQ in this forum that gives tips on a class' methods is indicative of a deeper issue- it's not intuitive right now to pick them up and play. It's not so much that I didn't know at first how to fly with the Sentinel that proved frustrating. It's that the correct way feels clumsy; even after figuring it out I still "dodge" too late after a high drop and get a real dodge instead. I had similar difficulty with Human melee. Even if I rebind it, melee's the tiny third wheel to basic Human combat, which is clearly focused around shooting.

Combat's satisfying once it clicks. I'm excited to see how far I get in the next few days, and I'm sure it'll get more fun as new abilities open up. I'm a little torn over the aim assist debate. On one hand, the free form approach demands finesse. Not every game needs a lock-on function, especially not a competitive third person shooter. On the other, whiffs are frustrating as Vampires when the primary focus is connecting your swipes. Part of my frustration could be a lack of dodging right after I've whiffed, so I get heavily punished for spamming melee with fire to the face. Regardless, it still feels in need of some tweaking.

Though my fingers and brain were a little stressed, it's a great game to ogle. Waiting for opponents to sync is a good opportunity to check out my character's features up close. I'm very pleased to see the video options tick all the boxes on my big list of Things All PC Games Should Have. That lets me focus on Nosgoth's new aesthetic and the general level design instead of whether or not it looks right on my monitor, which I appreciate.

I'm not so sure how well the store's implemented right now. Borrowing weapons comes off as an artificial way to keep people playing longer for permanent equipment. Couldn't the developers find a better way to keep us invested? That preview of the boosters makes me very worried. If I've got this correct, you could get gain +25% [stat] just for occupying the same team as a pay-to-progresser? Sure, it's not outright pay-to-win, yet it seems unfair for a team to luck into based merely around who gets the right player through randomization. The skins are a far more inoffensive way to monetize this game, as cosmetics prove to be in contemporary game releases.

Some of the glitches go without saying: random air Vampire scaling, clipping on incomplete maps, etc. But I've noticed on the store page the gold Buy icon jumps around the purchase screen at times. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be happening.

Other than that...I'm very green, and due to how long matchmaking takes, I only got up to rank 2 today. So I could probably expand on this as I go along. Honestly, this game's not my ideal continuation of the Legacy of Kain franchise. However, as its own beast, it's the start of something interesting.

RainaAudron
16th Jan 2014, 11:02
DeeArc: Yeah, the flying does need yourself to get used to I agree and it is not an obvious thing to do. However after I customized my keys, it is very natural and I have no problems with the controls. Even though melee on humans is not often used, it can save your life when you ran out of ammo or can´t reload in time, I´ve meleed a few vamps to death like that :P

As to "borrowing" - that is why you should buy them permanently, which I find really much better option and gives you nice variety to customize your builds without worrying the equipment/skills will expire.

Yeah, I´ve encountered several low level players complaining there is nobody in the New Recruit and that they are forced to join the skilled players... The long waiting times can only be solved my widening the testing fanbase and also fixing the "no servers available" error.

Glad you like the game and I hope we´ll meet in-game :)

cmstache
16th Jan 2014, 12:24
The NA server has a much lower population. If you are available to play during the EU times (9am pacific, 10 mountain, 11 central, 12 eastern) it'll give you more time to play, provided you are available. The skill gap is also larger on the NA server. Slight key customization does help though if you have a stupid pinky.

Alphamatroxom
17th Jan 2014, 20:08
I popped on not expecting much out of it and I was wrong. I enjoyed both sides of the match and hunting the others. I still don't know what most of the abilities do, but I spam them anyway. Of course I want to see other game modes since the depth is extremely limited at the moment so I can't wait to see where the game goes.

maniacal1
18th Jan 2014, 03:52
I have never even heard of this game until MMOHut mentioned it in their top-20 list for 2014, but I have fond memories of the early Legacy of Kane games, and it looked intense and fun, so I signed up. Didn't expect to get a key so fast, but I'm certainly not complaining. I immediately jumped in, and managed to get 2 games before the lobby died out, and I have to say I am BEYOND impressed. This game is tense and fun as hell, with a pace just fast enough to be refreshing and even with only 6 classes, enough content to keep me slaying.

Which, unfortunately, is the worst part of it. There's nobody playing. I can't spend 20 minutes staring at a monitor waiting for the lobby to fill and the game to start, and I'm not the only one as people rarely stay past the 5 minute mark. I don't know how many people are currently testing, but there needs to be more for sure. And as polished as this game already is, in alpha stage, I forsee only great things.

The items and upgrades, while only a few to choose from atm, all seem relatively well-rounded with good trade-offs given their strengths, and the perks add just enough to differentiate playstyles, which for me is a big positive. I also love the audio cues, as I see quite a few others do as well, though I feel the Reaver's 'growl' while they are stalking could use a bit more volume. Given the distance they can jump, I rarely ever hear them until it's too late.

While I know I can't divulge the fact that I'm playing the game to my friends, I'm most-certainly going to be bringing their attention to this game somehow. I want them all as excited as I am for it, because unlike Chivalry or War of Roses, this is a game I can see myself booting up and playing quite a bit.