PDA

View Full Version : How does Skirmish mode work in this game?

Ryback14
29th Jul 2008, 02:11
Are bases and units randomly generated each time you play, or can you select your fleet, etc....

Arrow
29th Jul 2008, 03:06
As far as I know, we haven't even confirmed the existence of a Skirmish mode. Me, as well as several others, have been pushing for one, though. I imagine a Skirmish mode would work more akin to that of an RTS, involving certain fixed maps with multiple routes for victory, rather than randomly generating each map every time. I don't know how hard a random map generator is to implement, but if a map editor is in with BSP, then generating random maps will be almost useless (since players can make their own maps).

crazyhorse128
29th Jul 2008, 08:56
random maps would be a acase of setting how muchh land coverage you want. And I assume that you could also set things such as lighting etc.

Starfury
5th Aug 2008, 03:22
I'd imagine Skirmish being Multiplayer with AI standing in for the other human players.

Arrow
5th Aug 2008, 03:58
I'd imagine Skirmish being Multiplayer with AI standing in for the other human players.

Only to a certain point. I personally would like to have the entire force at my disposal and have AIs just for the enemy.

Starfury
5th Aug 2008, 12:34
Only to a certain point. I personally would like to have the entire force at my disposal and have AIs just for the enemy.
I guess that would be a 2 player mp game, with the AI standing in for the other player :)

W4lt3r89
8th Aug 2008, 21:11
Or rather adjustable amount of AI's in the game. Who wouldnt want to take control of the whole fleet and take on 4 smaller task forces of the similar opposite fleet. And if the AI could actually cooperate with each other, properly..

Well, coding it would be pain in the rear but just the AI units doing plain zerg rush is just not fun at all.

andy3536
8th Aug 2008, 21:25
So to sum up, nobody knows :D

Just watch this space.

Polarshark
28th Sep 2008, 22:59
As far as I know, we haven't even confirmed the existence of a Skirmish mode. Me, as well as several others, have been pushing for one, though. I imagine a Skirmish mode would work more akin to that of an RTS, involving certain fixed maps with multiple routes for victory, rather than randomly generating each map every time. I don't know how hard a random map generator is to implement, but if a map editor is in with BSP, then generating random maps will be almost useless (since players can make their own maps).

what the hell are you talking about?

it's been confirmed already

people have been begging for it cause it's awesome just like multiplayer except no hassle or waitin going on

just wish it can be like those RTS games where you choose different maps and nations and location and

crazyhorse128
29th Sep 2008, 14:26
Has it been confirmed????

Evidence please :thumbsup:

Polarshark
29th Sep 2008, 23:15
Has it been confirmed????

Evidence please :thumbsup:

go on google and type battlestations pacific skirmish

watty14
30th Sep 2008, 02:35
""Join forces with friends online or play solo against the computer controlled opponents in the all-new Skirmish mode or battle each other in one of the five new, innovative multiplayer modes.""

thats from battlestations homepage when they announced BSP, its not a map editor but im happy:D

Arrow
30th Sep 2008, 02:52
Well, that's half of pretty much my wishlist down. Come on, get us a map editor or something!

It3llig3nc3
30th Sep 2008, 08:14
Well, that's half of pretty much my wishlist down. Come on, get us a map editor or something!

Don't get too pushy and demand everything. If the multiplayer mode(s) of the game can deliver great flexibility and replayability the map editor is not that imprtant... The point is to get something to increase the variations and options the player has over BS:M.

Arrow
30th Sep 2008, 12:19
Yeah, that's true. It's more like my two biggest hopes, that's all. After all, how many times have we really pushed for one?

And requesting a map editor and skirmish is hardly demanding everything.

It3llig3nc3
30th Sep 2008, 16:09
What I meant is that requesting BOTH of them together is a kind of "everything", since they attack a similar issue with the game...

Arrow
1st Oct 2008, 11:38
A lot of games have both Skirmish and a map editor. Command & Conquer 3, Total Annihilation, Age of Empires, Starcraft, Warcraft, and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, to name a few.

My definition of "Skirmish" being equivalent to that of Instant Action, meaning you get to select, from a list, a map. You can then adjust various options to make said battle the way you want, and then go for it. I haven't encountered a game that creates a random map every time upon playing (although Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and Age of Empires have both random map generators, they are tied into the built-in map editor and not Skirmish)

Polarshark
25th Oct 2008, 03:46
hopefully skirmish will include every war machine available to use

not just specific ones for some maps

It3llig3nc3
25th Oct 2008, 17:05
Looking at these comments about the skirmish mode I really see the developers smiling big time. Although they do not speak about it (and I can't do either) but I know one thing for sure: you guys posting here are going to LOOOOOVE the skirmish mode. It's even better than you would think :D :D

M0n3y
26th Oct 2008, 13:34
Looking at these comments about the skirmish mode I really see the developers smiling big time. Although they do not speak about it (and I can't do either) but I know one thing for sure: you guys posting here are going to LOOOOOVE the skirmish mode. It's even better than you would think :D :D

now we even want it more :D
and we can't wait already :D

Polarshark
26th Oct 2008, 13:41

so you're saying we get to pick our own ships and choose from lots of maps

and choose what functions can be on or off

and where we'll be placed on the map??

i wish i was there at e3 but can't. a teenage boy can't go wandering to places he doesn't know alone.

lol better not be lying to keep our hopes up

don't worry it's worth the wait especially where each month you get new things and news updated and there are other games to play to passs time by

not to mention upgrading your PC to play the game ( i want to upgrade my PC by adding 4gb ram to make a total of 8, switch to a 500watt or 700watt power supply and get a nvidea 9800GT graphics card or better, just need to get GOOD MARKS

SuperE
3rd Nov 2008, 05:43
I kind of like the Star Trek legacy system for skirmish, it wasn't the best but it was all right you can try it on the demo