PDA

View Full Version : Night Time

Nocturne
29th Jul 2008, 01:24
I have just been reading through a few posts about people saying, OMGWTFDEUS X LEIK BETTRE BE GUD N STUFF FFSSNOOBEIDOS, you know, the usual :D jk

anyway, i'm sure it has occured to most of you already though i didn't come accross any mention of it.

Quite simply, every single mission, the entire game in fact is based at night time. Now, this solved for the developers, i'm sure a lot of problems such as sneaking around and generally being stealthy, easily done in every mission. JC and all the characters only have to look good in 1 light (or no light), imagine seeing JC in broad daylight ! I think you would agree, with todays graphical standards he would look quite weird, (only because we've never seen him in daylight). :scratch:

I am just interested as to what all your thoughts are on the matter, and how you think the devs will overcome this hurdle. The main bonus imo, from having the game permanently drenched in darkness, was that you never lost that atmosphere, never would you go from a dark screen, to a black loading screen, only to be blinded by daylight, it would always plummet you back into the dark seriousness of the game. which was kept alive by fantastic music, excellent dialogue and... well, i could go on all day. ****

So, in closing, do you think Deus Ex 3 will/should feature daylight levels, or should they think up some elaborate reason as to why it's dark 24/7...?

HouseOfPain
29th Jul 2008, 01:32
I have just been reading through a few posts about people saying, OMGWTFDEUS X LEIK BETTRE BE GUD N STUFF FFSSNOOBEIDOS, you know, the usual :D jk

anyway, i'm sure it has occured to most of you already though i didn't come accross any mention of it.

Quite simply, every single mission, the entire game in fact is based at night time. Now, this solved for the developers, i'm sure a lot of problems such as sneaking around and generally being stealthy, easily done in every mission. JC and all the characters only have to look good in 1 light (or no light), imagine seeing JC in broad daylight ! I think you would agree, with todays graphical standards he would look quite weird, (only because we've never seen him in daylight). :scratch:

I am just interested as to what all your thoughts are on the matter, and how you think the devs will overcome this hurdle. The main bonus imo, from having the game permanently drenched in darkness, was that you never lost that atmosphere, never would you go from a dark screen, to a black loading screen, only to be blinded by daylight, it would always plummet you back into the dark seriousness of the game. which was kept alive by fantastic music, excellent dialogue and... well, i could go on all day. ****

So, in closing, do you think Deus Ex 3 will/should feature daylight levels, or should they think up some elaborate reason as to why it's dark 24/7...?

>.>

I liked it dark 24/7 ^^

I mean, I have trashbags over my windows, the Sun hates me!

jordan_a
29th Jul 2008, 01:42
I like dusk/night only. It introduces a great mood.

jcp28
29th Jul 2008, 01:51
Hey, darkness fits the mood best.:) This is a bleak world after all.

Daylight levels could work if the sky was permanently overcast, with maybe a little bit of rain. But such levels should still have the stealth options for those that like to sneak around.

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jul 2008, 01:52
I like dusk/night only. It introduces a great mood.

Vandenburg/Vandenberg Gas levels. The dusk the bleeds your soul away.

Just can't see DX in the daytime. Hope DX3 continues the trend.

jcp28
29th Jul 2008, 01:59
Just can't see DX in the daytime. Hope DX3 continues the trend.

Despite what I posted above, it would kind of feel like blasphemy if there was a DX level with clear natural light that illuminated the streets/military base/whatever. A cloudy, dark sky would probably be the lightest the game could go without losing it's ambience.

DXeXodus
29th Jul 2008, 03:55
Vandenburg/Vandenberg Gas levels. The dusk the bleeds your soul away.

Those dusk levels were great. It really felt different to all the other settings with their pitch black sky and thin grey clouds. But I too agree that DX should remain a night game. It just adds so much to the overall atmosphere.

Freddo
29th Jul 2008, 05:14
As the first game, the game should mainly take place during the dark black nighttime, letting the player to move between the locations (loading screens) during the days.

Rain would be a very welcome effect too, suits the gritty cyberpunk world. In Blade Runner, for example, it pretty much rains the whole time.

Jimmy Rabbitte
29th Jul 2008, 05:31
we've never seen him in daylight

Except under the sterile fluorescent light at UNATCO HQ. It's almost as bright if not brighter than the sun :mad:

iWait
29th Jul 2008, 06:00
I'd like to see dusk, night, and maybe early twilight. Broad daylight just doesn't fit the atmosphere.

Spiffmeister
29th Jul 2008, 09:23

The night time 24/7 gave the game a suiteable, dark, atmosphere. Aside that, there was plenty of light throughout the levels.

As long as it doesn't pull a doom3 darkness on us, the game should give off the same sort of atmosphere.

Fen
29th Jul 2008, 09:32
I'd like to see dusk, night, and maybe early twilight. Broad daylight just doesn't fit the atmosphere.

Same

Tracer Tong
29th Jul 2008, 20:24
Daytime is just not cyberpunk.

I loved Hong Kong's lights and everything.

Add snow and rain and the game'll be awesome

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jul 2008, 21:21
Except under the sterile fluorescent light at UNATCO HQ. It's almost as bright if not brighter than the sun :mad:

That reminds me of being in a building at night. It's certainly better than how F.E.A.R. did it (interiors should really never be THAT dark outside a horror game).

But F.E.A.R. did have a day level just before night (not dusk but around 7pm in the summer time) that despite the sun, it had the similiar affect on me as the Vandenberg level. It was because it was stark and lonely as hell (the whistling wind added to the effect of sheer solitude).

That's the only way I could see DX/3 with some light -- a stark, bleak urban decayed level, where even the sun doesn't help to lift the spirits. Maybe 12pm sunlight (which casts hard stark shadows), around destroyed and runned down buildings (with no roofs; broken walls; and/or floors with holes all over them). Add a DX filter to wash things out further, and it could have a gamer disoriented even (especially those washed out filters).

Maybe too much work to "get the right mood" with daylight. That takes a lot of planning to get right (and from what I'm seeing with how lighting is done in games, incredibly complicated).

Just easier with night scenes!

rhalibus
29th Jul 2008, 21:26
I also agree with the majority--the concept of night has been a recurring theme in Deus Ex--intrigue, secrecy, stealth, darkness, shadow...it is an integral part of the DX universe.

JC Denton had to become a shadow to fight the larger shadow of a secret world conspiracy. Even the final choices JC Denton made at the end all included some sort of darkness theme: Tong's Dark Age, The dictatorship of Helios, and Everett's Illuminati--promising to lead the world away from the night and "into the day".

This might even merit one of those poll thingies. :)

Blade_hunter
29th Jul 2008, 22:22
I'm not against the fact we've got the daylight, but I think the fact we are on a cyberpunk world (a dark world, dark future) makes the levels are on the night, dusk, or twilight.
the theme is the main reason to use dark levels, and dark levels are more fitted for infiltration...
I played some games with dark theme and they use daylight levels but in low number ...
It's difficult to give a precise opinion because
For the bad side we can lose the DX style, or we can lose miss the infiltration part of the game ...
For the good side we can add a new challenge and the variety...

Nocturne
29th Jul 2008, 23:17
Indeed, these are the things I was hoping to hear. I must not have made it clear in my original post that I too would LIKE Deus Ex 3 to maintain the same dark, shadowy atmosphere.

Do you think though, that the addition of day maps or "not night-time" maps (dawn/dusk w/e), would give a refreshing contrast to the series, and perhaps make people appreciate the night time more, having to adjust your strategy depending on what time of day it is.

OR, maybe the devs will make the new "universe" have day/night cycles, which means that you could choose your time to attack, i.e. wait it out in your "safe-house" until night falls because you are playing as a stealth character, or go in day time cos you are using a GEP-gun so what does night matter? hehe.

Just throwing around ideas, seeing what you guys think, Personally, DX IS my favourite game of all time, I loved the darkness, I only created this thread to say that I think the devs would find it quite hard to hold on to that atmosphere we all know and love so much, as technology these days would not allow it, it would look too fake :( <-- God I hope not D:

jordan_a
29th Jul 2008, 23:57
I think Eidos Montréal is willing to take the franchise "to the next level" and introduce many new things, including dusk or even day time.

Kevyne-Shandris
30th Jul 2008, 00:26
OR, maybe the devs will make the new "universe" have day/night cycles, which means that you could choose your time to attack, i.e. wait it out in your "safe-house" until night falls because you are playing as a stealth character, or go in day time cos you are using a GEP-gun so what does night matter? hehe.

Daytime for DX would be difficult. DX9/10 filters and some other tricks, because daylight breaks that dark decayed feel. It CAN be achieved, but the truth is, it would be better for the devs to try it out (trailer?) to see how fans could handle it (it's one of those things that needs to be seen, not just described).

DX is a niche game, and with niche games the players are very dear to the universe. It changes, and they get incredibly upset.

Blade_hunter
30th Jul 2008, 00:26
I think about one thing, for infiltration the night isn't necessary at all ?
We can wait for the weather or go in dark places, if we are in winter the sky were more dark than shiny...
We can find some polluted areas that can be on fog like most industrial countries, if we don't loose the DX spirit why we can't go further ?
it's difficult but this element can add some fresh stuff if we can use other kind of time STALKER is a dark game and we aren't always on the night

Kevyne-Shandris
30th Jul 2008, 01:01
Personally, don't want any environmental effects. If they're available, hope it can be turned off. Get into the mood to play a DX game, and the last thing I want is to play it with hinderances. Want to see a dusk sky; want to see the moon and stars; want to plain just SEE the level.

If DX can be dark 24hrs a day, it can do without the weather too. :p

Old_Snake
30th Jul 2008, 08:50
Well, i seem to be going against the grain here, but maybe a clean bright look could be a good juxtaposition. Take a look at games like mirrors edge that use the clean and bright look for a reason, in that game it represents an oppressive utopia where freedom has been sacrificed.

Plus i'm really bored a grey or brown drab games...See Gears of Wars

DXeXodus
30th Jul 2008, 09:14
It doesn't need to be brown and drab. But I think it should definitely keep the trend of only having night and dusk/dawn levels. It really adds to the overall feeling of the game. it must feel like cyberpunk. That's the most important. If they can convey that atmosphere with a day-time level then that is fine as a contrast.

urban_queen41
30th Jul 2008, 09:37
As Old_Snake said, some games do use a bright setting for a certain effect. But in my opinion DX's atmosphere had a lot to do with the permanent night- it really set up a mood and the game never pulled you out of that mood.

Demiurge
7th Aug 2008, 00:17
Like the Perma-night theme, but would be good symbolically for a cutscene at the end or something to show daylight. I think rain or snow could look good too, but only if they were used where they fitted in. I would like to see some snow if we go to Russia, and I have a sneaky suspicion we will.

J.CDenton
7th Aug 2008, 08:56
I dunni for daylight time. I prefer far to set the game during night. Time is much better for cyberpunk and allows great neon lights in cities. If it has to happens during daylight, I hope it will be a cloudy and grey daylight.