PDA

View Full Version : DX3 Developer Dream Team

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 15:26
So who would you like to see working on Deus Ex 3 (even if there's no chance for it)?

Personally, aside from obvious choices like Sheldon Pacotti for the script etc, I'd love to see Jordan Thomas design one of the levels.

This guy's a genious. His Cradle level in Thief: Deadly Shadows is the absolute highlight of the game. If you haven't played it and are not afraid of spoilers, you might want to read Kieron Gillen's article (http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf) about it (longest article ever written about one level of a game, iirc). Personally, I would describe it as being stuck in a Tool music video.

Also, his level for BioShock - and the character he created for it, Sander Cohen - is one of the few reasons I don't fully regret playing that game. He perfectly captured what I was hoping to see more of in BioShock - grotesque, yet artistic and strangely compelling madness.

AaronJ
28th Jul 2008, 16:17
Personally, I think people such as Stephane D'Astous, David Anfossi, etc.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2008, 16:30
Yeah, we already have an awesome and friendly team working on DX4. :cool:

van_Hellsing, I do agree that Jordan Thomas is a genius in what he does. Is he working on other projects at the moment? :)

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 17:34
By no means do I want to deprecate the actual Eidos Montreal team ;).

As for Jordan, he's currently Creative Director for the PS3 version of BioShock.

Clucky
28th Jul 2008, 18:10
I'd love to have Merle Dandridge or Jennifer Hale voicing some female characters in the game. Dandridge truly conveys emotion in her role as Alyx Vance, and is nothing short of amazing. I have found the same in Jennifer Hale, and have recognized her voice every single time, as she has gained a lot of experience in voice acting for video games, action RPGs in particular.

Though Hale would be more suited to voicing the female version of the protagonist, if of course there is one. Dandridge's voice isn't cold enough for that role. :)

jordan_a
28th Jul 2008, 20:59
Do you know the guys who worked on Shadowman?

Maximus
29th Jul 2008, 04:07
Design: Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen from iD, Romero on a few levels. Agree with what people say about Sheldon Pacotti, he is a phenomenal writer, but an established author should have input too perhaps.

Alex Brandon for the music, obviously. Along with Jesper Kyd (Hitman) and the guys behind the Heroes of Might and Magic music.

Art style should be a deep cyberpunk feel with a hacking interface similar to the indie hacker games of the late Nineties, like Uplink.

Maximus

René
29th Jul 2008, 12:09
I'd love to have Merle Dandridge or Jennifer Hale voicing some female characters in the game. Dandridge truly conveys emotion in her role as Alyx Vance, and is nothing short of amazing.

Really? I always thought Alyx was a nuisance. Gordan Freeman FTW!

Tsumaru
29th Jul 2008, 12:11
Gordan Freeman? Pfah! Give me Morgan Freeman any day.

I honestly know nothing about development teams, so my answer is...

"The best one ever."

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jul 2008, 12:39
Alex Brandon for the music, obviously.

Yeppers. Just has that DX sound. Not heavy metal; not industrial; not boring environmental. Each level was an Art form, and each had it's own music theme.

The worst thing is to take that music linking to levels, and put it in a sequel. They did it in the F.E.A.R. sequels, and everytime I hear one of the good themes (like from the Admin or Alice levels), I don't think about the current level, I think of the Admin or Alice levels it was originally associated with.

So when the DX3 trailer came out, I immediately associated the music to the opening theme for DX -- and that was a nice link.

I think devs are thinking the music is like everything else that can be shared in C++ libraries, but it's not like that. They set the mood for the level, and when reheard even outside the game (which DX fans tend to do :D), reminds gamers of that very level.

Clucky
29th Jul 2008, 15:51
Really? I always thought Alyx was a nuisance. Gordan Freeman FTW!

Yes, because his voice acting is absolutely brilliant as well, and his character has developed emotionally over the series. :p

But I digress with my sarcastic mutterings. :)

Necros
18th Aug 2008, 08:10
I'd love to see Jordan Thomas design one of the levels.
This guy's a genious. His Cradle level in Thief: Deadly Shadows is the absolute highlight of the game.
Yeah, one of the best levels in that game, I loved it too. But I don't think he's avalaible, I guess he's gonna stay with Irrational Games, I mean 2K Boston for a while, he is the new creative director of the BioShock franchise.

Design: Tom Hall, Sandy Petersen from iD
Hall would be great to have! Sandy Petersen is a really great designer too but from him I want the best horror-FPS, ever (him being an HP Lovecraft expert and all :)).

Alex Brandon for the music, obviously.
:thumbsup:

jordan_a
3rd Dec 2008, 07:21
I'm really interested in this discussion. Any other names?

Laokin
3rd Dec 2008, 07:37
Warren Spector. Not as lead, but there as guidance.

And yes I'm going there.

Harvey Smith.

I am aware of his last 2 abominations, the former actually being Deus Ex 2. Although, after hearing Warren and Harvey have an open conversation based upon how terrible IW was, I'm fairly confident he understands the mistakes that were made.

He also mentions that the changes occurred because the games original system in question was Xbox and not the PC platform. He said had it been PC, it probably would have been the true sequel we all wished it was.

I think he deserves another shot... but once again, not put into such a high position. This way is he proposes anything preposterous, it would have to be filtered through the chain of awesome that is EM, and since they are the chain of awesome.... this would prevent Harvy's bad ideas from ever being realized.

I want my boys back...

Also, while Jespyr's music for Hitman was AMAZING.... his style doesn't really suit Deus Ex. I wouldn't rule him out, but he would have to prove his worth.

jordan_a
3rd Dec 2008, 16:37
We all know these guys...

spm1138
3rd Dec 2008, 17:26
Hah.

Well, leaving aside the obvious.

A combat system by Blackfoot Studios.

A script by the Planescape: Torment team.

Design by Syd Mead, Masamune Shirow and Frank Gehry.

Music by Clint Mansell, Kronos Quartet and Rachid Taha.

LatwPIAT
4th Dec 2008, 11:36
Extra Writing and research by Brian Reynolds.

SageSavage
4th Dec 2008, 12:35
Eric and Terri Brosius, obviously!

Necros
6th Dec 2008, 11:46
Eric and Terri Brosius, obviously!
:thumbsup:

I'd also like to see a few more of the Looking Glass team. Among the voice actors it would be great to have people like Stephen Russell, Jay Anthony Franke, Tony Todd, Jeffrey Combs, J.G. Hertzler, Andrew Robinson, Nana Visitor, Marc Alaimo, Casey Biggs, Avery Brooks, Patrick Stewart, John Billingsley, Connor Trinneer, William Sadler and Steve Blum. And of course those people that I'm forgetting to mention. :nut:

The team members are of course only a fantasy, I have confidence in EM. But they should consider some of the voice acting talent. :)

imported_van_HellSing
6th Dec 2008, 13:33
A bit off topic, but look for Stephen Russell's voice in Fallout 3! :D

Necros
7th Dec 2008, 07:17
:eek: Cool, I'll keep an open ear. :D Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

SemiAnonymous
7th Dec 2008, 07:58
Michiru Yamane, composing the lovely melodies for this game.
oh, how I could wish