PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance of the Immersive Sim?

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 12:30
Already out:

STALKER

BioShock

In production:

STALKER: Clear Sky

Fallout 3

Mirror's Edge

The Outsider

Deus Ex 3

Thief 4 (?)

Looks good, doesn't it? :cool:

DXeXodus
28th Jul 2008, 12:31
Don't forget Far Cry 2. That is shaping up to be something special by the looks of things.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2008, 13:43
It certainly does look good! :cool:

My faves on that list (apart from DX3) would be Thief 4 (Yikes, I sincerely hope its happening!), Stalker: CS and Mirror's Edge. :)

Clucky
28th Jul 2008, 14:00
I'll be honest, other than the Deus Ex franchise, I haven't really played any of the other series on the list. Perhaps I should pick some of them up sometime, does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start?

jordan_a
28th Jul 2008, 14:14
I think this year I'll go for Bioshock, Far Cry 2, Crysis, Fallout, Mass effect, COD4 and the Stalkers... I haven't played in decades.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2008, 14:14
I'll be honest, other than the Deus Ex franchise, I haven't really played any of the other series on the list. Perhaps I should pick some of them up sometime, does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Guess it depends on what sort of gameplay you are looking for? Also, what sort of age? Some games on the list are 'getting on', hehe.
Thief (1 & 2, and definitely better than 3/DS) is kind of old now whereas Mirrors Edge is new... so new or old?

Oh, and don't be put off by the fact that a game is old.
If you can ignore the graphics, the actual gameplay is pretty awesome. Which is why they are still popular today. ;)

jordan_a
28th Jul 2008, 14:18
Other great games (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77634) I'm myself off topic.

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 14:34
Clucky - I second MissDenton in recommending Thief. Though I would actually say that Thief: Deadly Shadows, while disappointing to some hardcore fans of the two previous games, is a good place to start really. As for the difference between Thief and Deus Ex, aside from the obviously different setting, I think Warren Spector said it best: "Deus Ex is a swiss army knife, Thief is a scalpel" - Deus Ex offers a lot of possible means to achieve a goal, while in Thief the only viable option really is stealth. On the other hand, the stealth in Thief is much more fleshed out in Thief, more precise than any one of DX's gameplay systems.

A bit closer to DX than Thief is System Shock 2 - also a cyberpunk fps/rpg hybrid, also having the characteristics of a survival horror game. In terms of gameplay, it's in between the focus of Thief and the variety of Deus Ex. Also, one of the scariest games I played.

Jordan - I don't recommend BioShock. While I only played the game before the patch, with the Vita-Chamber system turned on, it was way too boring and repetitive. Early on in the game, you get an electric bolt type power and a wrench, and a character contacts you through the radio, recommending the following tactic: "Zap'em then whack'em! The one-two punch!". The problem is, this one tactic is basically what you'll be doing through around 70% of the game.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2008, 14:42
Fairly said, van_Helsing... regarding Thief 3/DS. :cool:

I just felt that it lacked the 'charm' of the two previous games.
I loved the hidden switches and secret passageways, and the rooftop freedom. I also had great affection for my beloved rope-arrow. In Thief: DS, they removed the rope arrow and gave us climbing gloves instead. :eek:
From that point on, it was never the same for me.... :(

But, yeah, that's why I'm asking what sort of game Clucky is actually looking for. :)
Once we know the specifics, we could recommend many games. :cool:

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 15:02
Just to clarify: I played the first two games before Deadly Shadows. Not when they were released, but still before even the announcement of Thief 3. In fact, I finished Thief 2 sad that there would never be another game, only to be taken by surprise by the first Thief 3 trailer a few weeks later.

Today, I'd rate Deadly Shadows below The Dark Project but above The Metal Age. While DS might be lacking somewhat in the gameplay department and with the level sizes, I feel it's a more complete game than TMA, which ultimately felt more like an expansion pack for TDP. Also the atmosphere in DS is closer to TDP - I was never really a fan of the bots and art-deco bent in TMA. TDS feels like a return to the roots, bringing back the undead, the Hammerites etc.

jcp28
28th Jul 2008, 15:48
Yes. I think it does.:cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2008, 16:23
Just to clarify: I played the first two games before Deadly Shadows. Not when they were released, but still before even the announcement of Thief 3. In fact, I finished Thief 2 sad that there would never be another game, only to be taken by surprise by the first Thief 3 trailer a few weeks later.

Today, I'd rate Deadly Shadows below The Dark Project but above The Metal Age. While DS might be lacking somewhat in the gameplay department and with the level sizes, I feel it's a more complete game than TMA, which ultimately felt more like an expansion pack for TDP. Also the atmosphere in DS is closer to TDP - I was never really a fan of the bots and art-deco bent in TMA. TDS feels like a return to the roots, bringing back the undead, the Hammerites etc.

Yes, same here. :)

I agree with you that TDS did return to the original dark/pagan type roots of TDP, which I love... definitely. I guess maybe I forget that point because I spend more time playing the fan missions these days - the majority of them based on TMA. But, yes, I do agree with many things you have said.

I do however really like the bots and cameras in TMA too. It just added an extra dimension to gameplay. TDP certainly scared me more than TMA. TDS didn't really scare me at all... except for the splendid Cradle mission. That was the only section where I actually felt too on-edge to fire up and my throat went dry just thinking about it, lol. :D

In a perfect world, and a perfect Thief 4, I would blend preferences for dark/pagan and return the rope arrow and secret passageways. Also, I wish the city/levels to be huge and non-linear again. I want to feel like I'm truly a free man and can roam where I wish, across rooftops and through windows, hehe. In TDS, that sense of freedom (and hence immersion) into the game was definitely lost, for me anyway.

Incidently, when I play Assassins Creed... I can't help thinking that if Thief 4 was similar in movement and freedom, it would be a freakin' awesome game!

Anyway, I do believe that discussing our love for Thief is somewhat off topic. :o :whistle:

FrankCSIS
28th Jul 2008, 16:49
My life has been on hold since the official announcement for Fallout 3

It shall be glorious

Clucky
30th Jul 2008, 08:57
Thanks for the suggestions MissDenton and Van_Helsing :) . I understand the dated graphics situation, but I probably play more old games than new these days anyway. So if graphics are looking a little rough around the edges, I'm probably already used to them and won't really mind as long as the game-play is sound. I find some cells in the gaming industry today who put graphics before making an excellent game saddening. All the FPSs that are carbon copies of eachother that have been released, but with stunning graphics have changed the industry, putting the emphasis on graphics, rather than gripping me to the fullest, immersing me within the universe. In fact, I challenge somebody to name one game that is innovative, like Deus Ex was, post 2005.

I'll pick up Thief III as a starting point as you suggest. That way I can build up in quality as I make my way through the series. :D

Kevyne-Shandris
30th Jul 2008, 11:19
In fact, I challenge somebody to name one game that is innovative, like Deus Ex was, post 2005.

Won't find it. Thus, all these suggestions to play the older games if you want good gameplay (and not needing to buy a $2000 computer every 2 years to play it -- simply not going to do it, I buy parts when needed, not so Nvidia and Intel can keep cranking out PresHotts and 40amp videocards).

DXeXodus
30th Jul 2008, 11:40
Chronicles of Rid****: Escape From Butcher Bay was innovative and the gameplay was brilliant. I'm not sure whether it is pre/post 2005 though :scratch:

Clucky
30th Jul 2008, 14:01
Won't find it. Thus, all these suggestions to play the older games if you want good gameplay (and not needing to buy a $2000 computer every 2 years to play it -- simply not going to do it, I buy parts when needed, not so Nvidia and Intel can keep cranking out PresHotts and 40amp videocards).

Chronicles of Rid****: Escape From Butcher Bay was innovative and the gameplay was brilliant. I'm not sure whether it is pre/post 2005 though :scratch:

Scadvid, I realize that nobody is likely to quench my thirst for an innovative game, in recent years. It was simply... rhetoric. :)

And unfortunately DXeXodus, CoR: EFBB came out just before 2005. Being released during Q3 and Q4 2004.

iWait
30th Jul 2008, 18:32
Portal. It was innovative, fun, and the cake is a lie.

Clucky
30th Jul 2008, 20:15
Portal. It was innovative, fun, and the cake is a lie.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one actually. Valve are an amazing corporation. I'll hand that one to you. :)

Why is everybody so damn sharp around here? :p

imported_van_HellSing
30th Jul 2008, 21:03
Clucky, about the challenge, maybe something risky:

Pathologic.

"Oblivion with cancer". Read this review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67124 -every single word is true.

Seeing as it was released cheap here, I decided to give Pathologic a try, and I loved it. I know people though who also tried it and didn't manage to get into the game, and ended up hating it with a passion. One thing for sure, there's nothing else quite like it.

So, how about it?

Clucky
30th Jul 2008, 21:37
Clucky, about the challenge, maybe something risky:

Pathologic.

"Oblivion with cancer". Read this review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67124 -every single word is true.

Seeing as it was released cheap here, I decided to give Pathologic a try, and I loved it. I know people though who also tried it and didn't manage to get into the game, and ended up hating it with a passion. One thing for sure, there's nothing else quite like it.

So, how about it?

Van, this is actually an extraordinary find. I just made a quick excursion onto wikipedia to find out more about its reception and I have to say that this game looks amazingly interesting. It may not be precisely what I'm looking for, but it meets several criteria. This game does seem to be incredibly innovative, and it sounds like its game-play is completely unique, but using a dated engine it seems to have been pushed into a corner. Displaying certain western prejudices that have evolved over the past few years, that I mentioned earlier. I might just pick this up to see how it is, and judging from the article you submitted, it will be a most unique experience.

I think this strange game has been achieved because it was made by Russian developers, and because they have just entered the commercial gaming industry they are not subject to the restrictions of the market that apply to western developers. These limitations are usually enforced by giant corporations such as EA, which do not consider video games are form of media, some would say literature, but simply money spinners. Or maybe I'm paranoid but that's how they seem to like to work. But from what I have heard the Russian developers have an industry that looks markedly like ours 5-10 years ago. Full of ideas, creativity and with a focus on story-telling. Not graphics, not the latest fashion, not the latest money-cow. But pure, unrelenting creativity. I reckon they will produce some more extraordinary work, should fate permit it, in the near future. :)

Anyway, I'm boring you. One (edit: Shall we make it golden... Hey why not? Ok. A golden) e-cookie to you for your efforts. :D

Kevyne-Shandris
30th Jul 2008, 22:02
This game does seem to be incredibly innovative, and it sounds like its game-play is completely unique, but using a dated engine it seems to have been pushed into a corner. Displaying certain western prejudices that have evolved over the past few years, that I mentioned earlier. I might just pick this up to see how it is, and judging from the article you submitted, it will be a most unique experience.

The "It was simply...rhetoric" didn't even last 12hrs! :lol:

Clucky
30th Jul 2008, 22:16
The "It was simply...rhetoric" didn't even last 12hrs! :lol:

No. In my previous post I discussed how the western industry has had limitations thrust upon it that Eastern European markets have yet to encounter. I failed to realize the significance of the dawn of gaming in the East, and as I am not familiar with Eastern Europe, I didn't know what they'd been concocting. I happened to have heard rumors of a growing interest in video games over that way, but nothing more. I hadn't actually seen the aforementioned products . :)

I doubt there is a North American, Japanese or Western European game that is as interesting as the one Van_Helsing brought up. This is because, as I have mentioned, the emphasis has changed in the market. In every aspect of life, things generally start off well, and then slump. Things are always inevitably to get worse before they get better again. Perhaps it would have been better to pose a challenge of a WESTERN game.

And anyway, it WAS rhetoric, but seeing as people are doing their best to find games, and blast open discussion on immersion and the industry in general, it could be a bit of fun, sp whether it was actually rhetoric or not in the end is irrelevant. It's great discussion. Which is the very purpose of a forum. It's nice talking to people. :)

Sorry if I'm not clear enough Scadvid. My minds tends to be scattered and I pursue many threads of thought at once when writing a post. And neglect some of these thoughts, failing to post my complete opinion, or pursuing more important trains of though further.... And tend to digress. I get things very mixed up and am probably doing it now. :D