PDA

View Full Version : So what after DX3?

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 08:06
Right now, we're all discussing whether DX3 is

A) a prequel to DX - most plausible if you ask me, with the teaser and all

B) a sequel do DX: IW - less plausible considering the IW endings, also it's the sentiment of many that IW was set too far in the future and lost its connection to reality, so I don't think they would take that route even further

C) in between DX and DX: IW - could work

But regardless of which option is true, here's something which hasn't been discussed yet: if the game turns out to be a finacial success, Eidos is sure to want another game.

So, what do you think are Eidos' long term plans for the series?

Personally, if DX3 turns out to be a DX prequel, the next thing I'd want to see would be a DX remake.

DXeXodus
28th Jul 2008, 08:27
Personally, if DX3 turns out to be a DX prequel, the next thing I'd want to see would be a DX remake.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

iWait
28th Jul 2008, 08:37
Deus Ex Wars

YEAH!!!!111!!

imported_van_HellSing
28th Jul 2008, 08:47
You took the words right out of my mouth.

And I have a rationale. If DX3 is successful, most newcomer fans will likely want to check out the previous games (especially if they retrospectively read all the praise), but might be put off by the outdated graphics. So, they would surely be as happy as us to get a DX remake.

DXeXodus
28th Jul 2008, 08:51
And I have a rationale. If DX3 is successful, most newcomer fans will likely want to check out the previous games (especially if they retrospectively read all the praise), but might be put off by the outdated graphics. So, they would surely be as happy as us to get a DX remake.

Exactly. It would really help the series build some momentum. The original Deus Ex is a severely underappreciated game that has been played by far too few regular gamers and something like a Deus Ex remake will inject something into the franchise that will please both it's fans and newcomers.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Jul 2008, 09:09
Totally into the "remake" idea. :cool:

I purchased "Tomb Raider:Anniversary" which was essentially a revamp of the first ever Lara Croft game. Although I had lived/played the exact adventure before, the stunning new graphics/eye-candy made the game just as interesting the second time round as it did the first time. TR1 was my favourite Lara Croft game (yup, I've played them all) but I would never have considered firing it up again to play it, simply because of the outdated graphics. Same with Deus Ex really - one look and it kind of puts you off (a bit :p ), hehe.

I could definitely see this idea working as a future project for Eidos Montreal - I would buy "Deus Ex: Regeneration" (or whatever they may call it...). :)
Kind of fun just figuring out the possible game title... :D

jcp28
28th Jul 2008, 15:39
Well, I'm sure they don't have any plans right away.

But if this is actually successful, which it will be if they market it, they could remake the first game before going on to maybe doing a sequel. IW was a little far-future, but there are a number of ways in which the "Star Trek" could be signficantly reduced. Something the Templars did could have a big effect on this. Of course, there's still going to be some technology if you set it far in the future, but hopefully, it won't have that slick and shiny look.

AaronJ
28th Jul 2008, 15:45
Deus Ex Wars

YEAH!!!!111!!

Other cliché titles include Deus Ex Evolved and Deus Ex Warhead.

As for the remake, doing that for the graphics won't be necessary for long.
http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/wp-content/gallery/hdtp/jc.jpg

Kevyne-Shandris
28th Jul 2008, 20:13

Ah, not like how Hollywood makes remakes. :eek: That'll ruin the game. How about just update the graphics and sound quality, but leave it intact??

jordan_a
28th Jul 2008, 20:49
A DX1 remake seems highly unlikely, it would not be a good business move.

Kevyne-Shandris
28th Jul 2008, 21:02
A DX1 remake seems highly unlikely, it would not be a good business move.

By what standard? Because if they were going to aim at that 15 to 20 year-old demographic, who probably never played DX, they wouldn't even know the difference. Then the older fans would have something more modern -- but DX isn't changed so much to not feel like the original.

Tracer Tong
28th Jul 2008, 22:15
In a way, it's like transforming DX into a newer engine, in which we'd play for the next 10 game replays... :)

Anyway, HL2 included Half Life: Source with it, which included the same graphics and sound but moved to the new engine, and look what it triggered: Black Mesa: Source.

A DX remake could be part of a nice DX3 collector's edition, or if the SDK's good enough...:rolleyes:

AaronJ
29th Jul 2008, 02:34
if the SDK's good enough...:rolleyes:

More like if it exists.

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jul 2008, 12:07
More like if it exists.

Or that the import/export plugins actually do what they're suppose to do with animations and 3D models.

Some of these games (like F.E.A.R.) have a huge directory full of charcter model animations. If you want to join two animations that does something else (like a chat mode, and then the character sits down to type on a computer), all event keyed for your little dialogue and sequence, you can't. You can delete frames and event key per animation, but in the level design mode, you have to call every different animation by itself, which results in glitch city (that mometarily pause between animations). it's better to join the animations as one, as they'll play at once without those glitches. Nope, the export/import tool just removes all the keyed events, so the animation becomes one still frame. :mad2:

It's not all ending, but for modding a game (and trying to make it not look so damn amateurish) it doesn't help.

Jerion
5th Aug 2008, 00:46
Other cliché titles include Deus Ex Evolved and Deus Ex Warhead.

As for the remake, doing that for the graphics won't be necessary for long.
http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/wp-content/gallery/hdtp/jc.jpg

Even if somebody finishes a hi-res texture pack for DX1, it still won't look anywhere near as good as it would if the game were remade with a much newer engine.

And why does JC look 7 feet tall and have the face of Keanu Reeves? O_o

SemiAnonymous
5th Aug 2008, 01:30
There is the slight possibility of also remaking/replacing DX: IW. I personally enjoyed the game, although not nearly as much as DX1, but a re-vision of it, keeping the storyline, but changing pretty much everything else, now that would be nice.

HouseOfPain
5th Aug 2008, 02:35
Totally into the "remake" idea. :cool:

I purchased "Tomb Raider:Anniversary" which was essentially a revamp of the first ever Lara Croft game. Although I had lived/played the exact adventure before, the stunning new graphics/eye-candy made the game just as interesting the second time round as it did the first time. TR1 was my favourite Lara Croft game (yup, I've played them all) but I would never have considered firing it up again to play it, simply because of the outdated graphics. Same with Deus Ex really - one look and it kind of puts you off (a bit :p ), hehe.

I could definitely see this idea working as a future project for Eidos Montreal - I would buy "Deus Ex: Regeneration" (or whatever they may call it...). :)
Kind of fun just figuring out the possible game title... :D

When I see Dues Ex I cant think of it without the outdated graphics, if anything, they pull me in more than something with the unreal engine (or so) would!

Jimmy Rabbitte
5th Aug 2008, 03:05
I am not into remaking any of them. I prefer original content. Before you shut me down, hear me out- Remaking has seriously degraded the appreciation of art in our culture. You don't have to go far to find unoriginal content. Take movies, for instance. The art form that has suffered the worst from unoriginality. Think of how many movies there are that are remakes of past ones, adaptations of comic books, television shows... many of today's big directors have little to no creativity and are hunting down other people's original stories, buying rights for god knows how much money, and hardly ever ameliorating the story, most of the time ruining it.

That's not to say all remakes or adaptations are bad, but many of them are, and they're bogging down the industry, setting the bar low for up and coming filmmakers. If this lack of creativity pours over into the video game industry (well, it kind of has already), then what? Studios will regurgitate the same reiterated crap over and over again and there will be no options left for the serious and competitive gamers.

Igoe
5th Aug 2008, 03:15
I think they should take the Half Life route, and interweve other character's stories into the DX universe.

A guy growing up when the Collapse hits, Unatco agents that stayed after JC left, all sorts of other characters could be explored and the story that was so lacking in IW could be fleshed out by other, less purple wearing protagonists.

imported_van_HellSing
5th Aug 2008, 08:35
When I see Dues Ex I cant think of it without the outdated graphics, if anything, they pull me in more than something with the unreal engine (or so) would!

Oh the irony of this statement :P

DXeXodus
5th Aug 2008, 10:22
Oh the irony of this statement :P

Was just to point that out :)
@HouseOfPain: Deus Ex uses the unreal engine :whistle:

El_Bel
5th Aug 2008, 10:49
Unreal engine 1 has nothing to do with the "plastic" Unreal 2 and 3 versions.. :)

Bloodwolf806
8th Aug 2008, 16:24
A Deus Ex remake would be SEX.

imported_van_HellSing
8th Aug 2008, 18:51
...and violence.

Spyhopping
8th Aug 2008, 20:38
Address the flaws in the original and you're as close to a perfect game as I can imagine.

Although I suppose it wouldn't be possible to change some of the flaws. The game could be great with new graphics, new AI, animation and so on- but what about things like the voice acting?
I think the quality of the dialogue itself probably makes up for it, but I'm probably biased

Romeo
8th Aug 2008, 21:47
A Deus Ex remake would be SEX.
I gotta say... I like Deus Ex... But it really can't hold up to that. lol

urban_queen41
9th Aug 2008, 00:25
A Deus Ex remake would instantly become my Number 1 favourite game of all time, ever. I'd buy it, and I usually burn games. XD

As long as they only update the graphics, AI, engine etc. and leave the actual content of the game alone. It'd be more like a special edition (in the vein of Tomb Raider: Anniversary), probably.

Jerion
9th Aug 2008, 01:02
I would be all over a Deus Ex remake if they port the game to the crytek engine and give it photorealistic graphics & modern A.I. Wishful thinking, I know...:rolleyes: