PDA

View Full Version : Battlestations: Pacific CE

chip5541
24th Jul 2008, 05:24
This is just a hypothetical for a Collector's Edition (ie pipe dream).

Normally I don't buy CE's because frankly most are not worth teh extra money. There are exceptions like Sins of a Solar Empire but for teh most part they are not worth the extra money. If BP released a CE version would you be interested in it, how much extra would you pay and what would you like to see included in it?

This would be one of the games I would put down the extra for a collector's edition. Maybe about $10 - $15 above the standard version.

Include wish list

Music CD
Manual in ringed binder
ID cards for ships/planes on ringed binder
3 or 4 game art posters
Dog Tags (maybe a card to send in for dog tags with your name on them)
Sea charts with model ships/planes so you can plan your game ahead on time

This is just a few ideas anyway.

crazyhorse128
24th Jul 2008, 07:57
In all fairness, whilst chip I do think that it is a goood idea, I would not be prepared to spend anything more than £5. Basicaly because things like unit ID can be easily accesed via the web , for no extra cost.
And a soundtrack, if BSM is anyting to go by then I see no need

-crazy

chip5541
24th Jul 2008, 09:59
£5 would be about $10 in US currancy.

Arrow
24th Jul 2008, 12:07
Sounds like a good deal, but I may or may not get it depending on my financial circumstances. And the soundtrack being readily made available can likely be mostly remedied by simply talking to the composers and whoever else is on the sound/music team.

Red October
24th Jul 2008, 13:19
I myself would not buy it because, the main thing i have been waiting for is the game not Posters and Dog Tags.

crazyhorse128
24th Jul 2008, 14:01
The thing also about getting tags is, who wants some 'Henry Walker' dog tags. And like in my other post, BSM's soundtrack was no work of art, and I dont see any imdeiate need to get my hands on a BSP version

chip5541
24th Jul 2008, 14:41
remember, these are just suggestions. I liked the music in teh original however we have not really heard what type of music will be in the sequel. Some of the painting in teh original looked really good like the PTO at Pearl picture with the zeros and battleships.

The dog tags would be in each persons name but again it was just an idea.

How about listing what you would want to see in a CE version and what would make it worth it.

Red October
24th Jul 2008, 15:36
I would like a real Iowa shell :D JK

I got a CE for Cod 2 and it had a separate CD with a lot of History clips and videos on it about the battles. That would be a nice thing to get with Pacific.

Arrow
24th Jul 2008, 15:38
Hmm...what I would want in a CE version? The soundtrack is practically a must. To take a page from EA's book, an extras DVD might be interesting. Maybe also the CE edition would have the minor petty things that make your ship slightly different (again with the nose art and numbers on boats and whatnot) but ultimately no different than any other ship.

andy3536
24th Jul 2008, 16:16
No, games are expencive as they are so not for me.

I find most of whats included in these CE is poor quality tat most of which would go in a cupboard to be forgotten, so i'll just buy the normal game.

crazyhorse128
24th Jul 2008, 16:18
No, games are expencive as they are so not for me.

I find most of whats included in these CE is poor quality tat most of which would go in a cupboard to be forgotten, so i'll just buy the normal game.

But I though you would value 5 different war machine posters, ;)

com345
24th Jul 2008, 17:06
i dont buy CEs because i never use the xtra content (or dont think its usefull)

M0n3y
24th Jul 2008, 19:17
how about a little book with extra info about ships & planes?

chip5541
24th Jul 2008, 19:40

:thumbsup:

crazyhorse128
24th Jul 2008, 19:42

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

com345
24th Jul 2008, 19:57

after playing a while you know them all anyway range, speed, etc

but of course it interessting to look at when there are real pictures of the units!

Arrow
24th Jul 2008, 20:44
That's true, I'd put the data up on Strategywiki in an instant =P

M0n3y
25th Jul 2008, 10:01
woah 3 quotes on my post :D
that never happened before :D

uuh crazy, what do you mean with that homepage? :S
oh and arrow, plz don't ruin the book :p

Ryback14
29th Jul 2008, 02:17
the ID cards idea is brilliant!

Arrow
29th Jul 2008, 03:09
the ID cards idea is brilliant!

They would certainly be collectible and a little on the cheap side to make. Data-wise, though, chances are someone else or me will put it on Strategywiki. Still, the fact you have a physical copy is something you can brag about to your friends =P

...or not.

crazyhorse128
29th Jul 2008, 09:00
uuh crazy, what do you mean with that homepage? :S
you know how to use the search function right?

Or, how about players who are playing the CE edition have '(CE)' or something like that put ahead of their name. Possibly even they have a slight advantage over thier oponents.

Arrow
29th Jul 2008, 10:48
I like the idea of 'CE' in front of their names but giving them an advantage over their opponents is simply not fair. That basically suggests that some guy has an advantage over everyone else because he spent the extra money to get the CE edition. In that sense it turns into a Gameshark.

M0n3y
29th Jul 2008, 10:59
you know how to use the search function right?

or how about players who are playing the CE edition have '(CE)' or something like that put ahead of their name. Possibly even they have a slight advantage over thier oponents.
oops srry :S

nah don't give CE players an advantage :(
and the CE in front of their name doesn't sound good to me :(

com345
29th Jul 2008, 15:51
but they could get some extra skins for example!

Arrow
29th Jul 2008, 16:53
Minor things like extra skins don't really matter. But if you were to give them an advantage like causing more damage, then absolutely not.

battleshipman
29th Jul 2008, 21:19
but they could get some extra skins for example!

I'd buy it for those alone.

com345
30th Jul 2008, 15:26
I'd buy it for those alone.

yes i would as well!

com345
1st Aug 2008, 07:21
what about if the CE comes with map and skin editor? a lot of ppl dont want/need this so they simply just buy the "normal" edition

Arrow
1st Aug 2008, 11:42
I dunno, a lot of people I think have been waiting for that map editor. Not just those on the forums.

chip5541
1st Aug 2008, 14:17
what about if the CE comes with map and skin editor? a lot of ppl dont want/need this so they simply just buy the "normal" edition

If one comes then it should be in all the version, not just the CE version.

com345
2nd Aug 2008, 09:34
If one comes then it should be in all the version, not just the CE version.

also true! but im still hoping for a skin editor ;)

Cpt.sharp
2nd Aug 2008, 09:43
The problem i have with CE is that you buy them at the said price when they come out but a few weeks down the line the Retailer wants to get rid of them so they lower the price to the normal ver price.

Not all bad because i brought CoD4 CE for less then what they were selling the normal DVD for.

Result :)

M0n3y
2nd Aug 2008, 11:07
so chip, what are the ideas now?
i've heard a lot here...

chip5541
3rd Aug 2008, 12:36
Well I still think most of my wish list still holds with some added for good measure.

Music CD
Manual in ringed binder (I still want a quality manual and not cheap ones like most pubs get away with now days.)
ID cards for ships/planes on ringed binder or poster
3 or 4 game art posters (still want. They have some really great work)
removed dog tags
Sea charts with model ships/planes so you can plan your game ahead on time.
PS3 version ;)
Autographed by the devs
Making of DVD detailing it from conception of Midway as the tech trailer.
Tora! Tora! Tora! DVD

andy3536
3rd Aug 2008, 14:22
Well I still think most of my wish list still holds with some added for good measure.

Music CD
Manual in ringed binder (I still want a quality manual and not cheap ones like most pubs get away with now days.)
ID cards for ships/planes on ringed binder or poster
3 or 4 game art posters (still want. They have some really great work)
removed dog tags
Sea charts with model ships/planes so you can plan your game ahead on time.
PS3 version ;)
Autographed by the devs
Making of DVD detailing it from conception of Midway as the tech trailer.
Tora! Tora! Tora! DVD

In game music CD........Really?

Making of DVD would be the only thing i'd be interested in, but again i wouldn't pay more for it.

You do get some games with 1 extra item at norma price (although not many) but it might be a nice touch as opposed to paying for all that tat there going to put in.
The new brothers in arms hells highway is being released with a t-shirt on play.com for £25(PC version), ok the t-shirts rubbish but a DVD in a bs:Pacific at £29.99 would still be a good deal all round.

Just a thought.

chip5541
4th Aug 2008, 04:57
My wife threw away my T-Shirt that came with Shadow of the Beast. That was the standard edition that included a T-Shirt. :( The really don't publish games like they used to.

You know they could change the tabletop map and units I mentioned into a tabletop game version so you get a tabletop game and video game.

chip5541
6th Aug 2008, 05:19
Here is a good example of quality goodies even though this is for preorders only. http://www.realworldgamer.com/newsitem.php?id=537

crazyhorse128
6th Aug 2008, 09:00
What would I do with a little cuddly Henry Walker doll if one came in the CE?

chip5541
6th Aug 2008, 09:14

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

battleshipman
6th Aug 2008, 11:28

I don't think we can post things like that on this forum. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Arrow
6th Aug 2008, 14:07
Doncha know? I go to sleep with a cute plush A6M Zero next to me ;)

M0n3y
6th Aug 2008, 14:36
Doncha know? I go to sleep with a cute plush A6M Zero next to me ;)
does it have MG's? :D
i sleep with a cute plush Yamato BB :D

Red October
7th Aug 2008, 00:50
Yall are freaks :nut: i don't sleep with any dolls.

I only play with my little plastic sub in the bath tub. :rolleyes:

M0n3y
7th Aug 2008, 15:06
Yall are freaks :nut: i don't sleep with any dolls.

I only play with my little plastic sub in the bath tub. :rolleyes:

that explains where my plastic Yamato ship went :(

High Def Dave
8th Aug 2008, 10:34
I would pay extra for CE if what you recieved in the box was worth it.

I.E
Making of DVD's
Historical DVD's
Paper maps in a ringed binder of the Multiplayer maps
Art work
I like the Idea of who ever buys the CE gets something extra in the game like Skins or extra unit.
but i would not pay more then £15 for it......

M0n3y
8th Aug 2008, 14:41
plz chip, confirm there will be a CE version so i don't have to buy the original bhut the CE version :D

chip5541
8th Aug 2008, 15:08
I haven't heard anything yet but I was hoping that if enough interest in one they would consider it.

andy3536
8th Aug 2008, 21:23
plz chip, confirm there will be a CE version so i don't have to buy the original bhut the CE version :D

C'mon, be seriuos. There all full of tat no-one ever looks at twice. Who actualy wants a bioshock big daddy doll or a 1/4 size master chief helmet from halo?
It'll all just collect dust somewhere.

Admitedly there's room for a special edition with a making of DVD and mabee documentrys aswell.
But ring binder of MP maps? for what porpose, the're tiny compared to other stratergy games, you'll play them once and know the maps.
Dog tags? who's gonna wear them?
Model boats? since when are we all 3 year olds playing battleships in the bath?

As for the example of little big planet, a pouch to protect your game.....isn't that what the case is for?
A sticker book...........seriuosly, whats the piont?
And a cudely toy........hmmm.

The only uselfull thing is the mini guide but i would want to pay the extra for all that crap for a mini guide.

I don't honestly think some of you are thinking about the practicality of paying £15 - £20 more for a CE for stuff you'll get no use from.

Just my opinion ;)

chip5541
9th Aug 2008, 05:46
C'mon, be seriuos. There all full of tat no-one ever looks at twice. Who actualy wants a bioshock big daddy doll or a 1/4 size master chief helmet from halo?

Admitedly there's room for a special edition with a making of DVD and mabee documentrys aswell.
But ring binder of MP maps? for what porpose, the're tiny compared to other stratergy games, you'll play them once and know the maps.
Some clans may use them for planning although I prefer a larger (cloth) map with plastic or metal vehicles for planning.

While I removed it from my list there is still a big business with dogtags. many stores have machines that print dogtags. Check your local Wal-Mart.

Model building is still big buisness. My father built models and diaramas of WWII vehicles and battles. There is even state and country contests. Even if it is preassembled there is still demand for it. There is a compnay that does nose art for planes of WWII. My 8 year old loves collecting them.

As for the example of little big planet, a pouch to protect your game.....isn't that what the case is for?

The only uselfull thing is the mini guide but i would want to pay the extra for all that crap for a mini guide.

I don't honestly think some of you are thinking about the practicality of paying £15 - £20 more for a CE for stuff you'll get no use from.

Just my opinion ;)

The LBP stuff was just an example and not meant to actually have simular stuff included. it was meant to spur some people to think out of the box for stuff they would like to see included in a CE. Not everything has to have a use to be included. After all I have an Evil Dead DVD which came in a case that used foam latex for a cover in the shape of the Necronomicon. When chilled in teh fridge it feels like actual flesh. It also screams when pressed. Does it serve any purpose? no not really but I do enjoy having it.

That is just my onion :whistle:

M0n3y
9th Aug 2008, 07:42
that's for the real collectors, bhut i don't think that they will give a Yamato class doll with it >.> (however it would be nice:cool: )

atleast one point we both agree on :p

1) with those maps you can develope strategies
2) Dog tags has been cancelled (read all the posts ;) )
3) and even if you don't play in bath with those model ships, you can still put them up as decoration

a pouch to protect your game.....isn't that what the case is for?
well the pouch can be used if you lose ur CD case...
a sticker book, well, deliver the stickers with it ;)
the cudely toy, once more, as decoration (if you don't sleep with it)
and it's cute :D

Just my opinion ;)
if you don't want to pay for the only the mini guide and not for the rest, then don't buy it and ask a friend for it

the price seems reasonable (maybe a discount for us? :rolleyes: :D )

phew what a post!

battleshipman
9th Aug 2008, 07:58
After all I have an Evil Dead DVD which came in a case that used foam latex for a cover in the shape of the Necronomicon. When chilled in teh fridge it feels like actual flesh. It also screams when pressed. Does it serve any purpose? no not really but I do enjoy having it.

A little off topic but where did you get that? (for some reason this strikes me as one of those things I need to have)

Back on topic: I still think if they wanted to sell a CE the best way to do it would be to put in some different ship skins, and a making of DVD. That shouldn't be everything thats included but I just got up and the think tanks still a little cloudy. I wouldn't mind a little model boat, but what would it be? Diecast or plastic? Also would there be a choice of say the Iowa or Yamato or the Akagi and the Enterpirse?

andy3536
9th Aug 2008, 08:19
Some clans may use them for planning although I prefer a larger (cloth) map with plastic or metal vehicles for planning.

With the size of the maps this is not nessesary and won't be used, 30 seconds explaining will be more than enough.

While I removed it from my list there is still a big business with dogtags. many stores have machines that print dogtags. Check your local Wal-Mart.

We don't have wall mart in the UK, and i don't think i've ever seen anybody walking round the streets wearing dog tags, and if they were from a game it would make them even more undesirable.

Model building is still big buisness. My father built models and diaramas of WWII vehicles and battles. There is even state and country contests. Even if it is preassembled there is still demand for it. There is a compnay that does nose art for planes of WWII. My 8 year old loves collecting them.

No one has yet refered to building models, just little plastic or diecast planes and ships, something to build might not be such a bad idea but anything else would appear to me to be aimed at very young children that like to hold planes up and make machine gun noises?

The LBP stuff was just an example and not meant to actually have simular stuff included. it was meant to spur some people to think out of the box for stuff they would like to see included in a CE. Not everything has to have a use to be included. After all I have an Evil Dead DVD which came in a case that used foam latex for a cover in the shape of the Necronomicon. When chilled in teh fridge it feels like actual flesh. It also screams when pressed. Does it serve any purpose? no not really but I do enjoy having it.

That is just my onion :whistle:

You see so many CE versions drop off the face of the earth within weeks of a games release as the're not very popular, we've even had capt Sharp say his CoD4 one was cheaper than the normal version without.
Can't see it being anything other than a flop that only a few people buy for novelty value.
I will of corse eat my words if i'm proved wrong;)

chip5541
9th Aug 2008, 11:36
Cod4 and Halo3 did drop like a lead balloon but then you have games like Sins that still catch full price. All it included was a tech tree poster (not needed for BP but could be substituted for fleet or aircraft poster), Artwork Posters, Music CD, Hotkey Card. Stardock actually ran out of the first run of Sins CE. A making of would really be a necessity.

Battleshipman: Amazon still has it listed but is more than what I paid for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Evil-Dead-Book-Limited/dp/B000A3XY9Q/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1218284546&sr=8-7

com345
10th Aug 2008, 08:21
some extra skins for ships and planes would still make more sense to me!

David603
10th Aug 2008, 09:37
some extra skins for ships and planes would still make more sense to me!
The CE for Gears of War 2 will come with a gold version of the Lancer assault rifle (the one with the chainsaw) for online play, and the CE of Battlefield BC came with access to 5 guns that you would otherwise need to rank up to recieve. In-game content makes the CE worth it, and I wouldn't buy a BSP CE without at least a couple of in-game extras for the extra money.

Red October
10th Aug 2008, 12:39
The CE for Gears of War 2 will come with a gold version of the Lancer assault rifle (the one with the chainsaw) for online play, and the CE of Battlefield BC came with access to 5 guns that you would otherwise need to rank up to recieve. In-game content makes the CE worth it, and I wouldn't buy a BSP CE without at least a couple of in-game extras for the extra money.

But then you get into the problem of people complaining about the others guys guns. But if your a skilled player in BSP it shouldn't matter.

andy3536
10th Aug 2008, 14:23
I would hate to think that they had designed aircraft and ships for the game and held them back for those that bought the CE.
Unless of corse they were rubbish :rolleyes:

David603
10th Aug 2008, 14:49
But then you get into the problem of people complaining about the others guys guns. But if your a skilled player in BSP it shouldn't matter.
It would probably be best to have things like an extra singleplayer mission or some new unit skins in a CE, but if extra content in the form of units was built then I would rather it was included as standard on the disc.

Arrow
10th Aug 2008, 15:30
It would probably be best to have things like an extra singleplayer mission or some new unit skins in a CE, but if extra content in the form of units was built then I would rather it was included as standard on the disc.

Agreed. The last thing that should happen is that CE players get some kind of gameplay edge. As I stated before, this makes paying for the CE more like getting a Gameshark or some other cheating device; you get an edge because you paid more for it. It's ridiculous.

chip5541
10th Aug 2008, 17:29
Agreed. The last thing that should happen is that CE players get some kind of gameplay edge. As I stated before, this makes paying for the CE more like getting a Gameshark or some other cheating device; you get an edge because you paid more for it. It's ridiculous.

Like what EA was going to do with Bad Company.

BenTheImpaler
29th Aug 2008, 22:24
I think a collectors edition is an excellent idea - as for people not willing to pay a bit more, thats what a standard edition is for!

i would happily pay an extra £10-15 ($20-30) for it

special tin would be a good idea - prehaps like the one for mass effect.

unit ID cards sound kl. prehaps include pictures of the ingame ships and real photos side by side for comparison - show off the graphics. ship blueprints?

dog tags sound good, or maybe a sea service medal - something like that

prehaps a little mini-model ship (Prince of Wales would be awesome)

i agree with the gameplay edge point. on battlefield, it doesn't have too much of an effect, because you rarely run into anyone with a special sniper rifle or shotgun, but on a tactical game like battlestations that requires a bit more skill, it could have a much bigger impact

my brother suggested special 'skins' for ships that don't alter the perfomance -i.e. a Bismarck skin for EA staff. just a suggestion

ClarenceTheTorpedoGuy
27th Oct 2008, 08:57
1. Nice Packaging
2. Small Ship Model { Yamato?}
3. The Ship ID's
4. Extra singleplayer/challenge missions
5. Strategy Guide:lol:

P.S. most of the thing I wrote were already posted by other guys. I'm just posting them again coz they are the one's I liked.

It3llig3nc3
27th Oct 2008, 10:49
Collector's edition would be great - I join the supporters. :D :D
I won't hesitate to pay a bit more for that.

I guess this title won't be that big, huge release, however imagine an extra in the box, like a replica WWII pilot headset :D :D

M0n3y
27th Oct 2008, 15:01
Collector's edition would be great - I join the supporters. :D :D
I won't hesitate to pay a bit more for that.

I guess this title won't be that big, huge release, however imagine an extra in the box, like a replica WWII pilot headset :D :D

you're getting crazier by the day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

however i'd certainly not mind to pay a bit more for a CE :)

Polarshark
27th Oct 2008, 20:52
it would be great if the collector's edition can feature a book that shows all the units and it's strengths and weaknesses

also add extra war machines