PDA

View Full Version : Lego Inter Versus - Discussion

JerichoMccoy
22nd Jul 2008, 14:53
Hey guys,

Deus Ex is a great game and there are many little tidbits, scientific words, theories, etc. to make it last a life time.

Well, what I'm proposing of doing is going back to the original Deus Ex and study the locations, the technology, the mythos, factoids, and theory and put it into video format for all to view and discuss about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZqrRzGUSNo

I wanted to get this first "Chapter" out so I can get some feedback on a few things and make the varying chapters more informed, better edited, or just more interesting.

So... thoughts?

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 07:21
Just a tip: if you want to present longer content with better visual quality use this service...

http://www.blip.tv/

YouTube destroys video and audio content (and it's a real hair puller to get good resolution in their fixed .flv format), and without plugins you can't download and preview the video offline. Blip allows uploading and downloading in multiple video formats even.

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 08:59
Yeah, youtube is most definately the "Kia" of video-hosting sites. But as to the actual video itself, it's pretty good. You should keep them numbered, as to facilitate looking through them all, front to back. Good work.

JerichoMccoy
23rd Jul 2008, 12:20
Just a tip: if you want to present longer content with better visual quality use this service...

http://www.blip.tv/

YouTube destroys video and audio content (and it's a real hair puller to get good resolution in their fixed .flv format), and without plugins you can't download and preview the video offline. Blip allows uploading and downloading in multiple video formats even.

Ooo, thank you very much. This will definitely help in making the chapters a bit longer with more info. Thank you!

Yeah, youtube is most definately the "Kia" of video-hosting sites. But as to the actual video itself, it's pretty good. You should keep them numbered, as to facilitate looking through them all, front to back. Good work.

Good point. I'll keep that one in mind. With more persistence, I'll be able to delve deep into the Deus Ex Mythos and forecast predictions of today's day and age.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 14:20
Use YouTube for "mass appeal" but also use Blip so the hardcore fans can admire your work better. It's nicer to not be limited to a .flv download.

I use a proggie called ZDSoft Game Recorder that has 8 formats that will hardware encode a shoot in real-time (bypassing even the need to convert an AVI, like FRAPS). Like the MJPEG (visual lossless) video the best as it's a nice compromise between file size and quality (looks even better than other compression technologies like DIVX).

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 14:27
Use YouTube for "mass appeal" but also use Blip so the hardcore fans can admire your work better. It's nicer to not be limited to a .flv download.

I use a proggie called ZDSoft Game Recorder that has 8 formats that will hardware encode a shoot in real-time (bypassing even the need to convert an AVI, like FRAPS). Like the MJPEG (visual lossless) video the best as it's a nice compromise between file size and quality (looks even better than other compression technologies like DIVX).

So we can retain those high-end graphics from Deus Ex. :lol:
Although you're right, it IS a better alternative than shaky-cam.

JerichoMccoy
23rd Jul 2008, 14:51

Sweet. I love to edit videos and the more I know about better quality, the better I can dish out great stuff (at least to my eyes)

http://blip.tv/file/1106721

And it's resolution is at 640x400 which looks very impressive compared to that YouTube version. Very much thanks, Scadvid.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 15:33
NICE! Text is readible now!!

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 15:42
So we can retain those high-end graphics from Deus Ex. :lol:
Although you're right, it IS a better alternative than shaky-cam.

No, to read text better. Can't read smaller print in YouTube, not only is it pixelated due to recompression (they recompress it to .flv which is why you better just give them a good .avi. Even Sorensen [FYI: the best for the money] compressed video can be chopped up), but because the video dimensions are often changed.

It's a three ring circus trying to get a good quality video uploaded and displayed in YouTube. Did it once, and they recompressed the beautiful video TWICE (two format changes), despite fitting it to their file size/dimensions/audio type restraints.

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 19:27
I know, just making a crack. So, when's the next video due?

HouseOfPain
23rd Jul 2008, 20:32

Scadvid will you marry me? @_@

JerichoMccoy
24th Jul 2008, 03:30
So, when's the next video due?

Well, with the new technology that has just been aquired[blip.tv], plus the indecision on what should be included in the next run (Info on Castle Clinton, Mole People, Underground Tunnels a la Manhattan Project, Crime Lords, and/or the development of AIDS/HIV... so many to choose from!)

So it could be within the next two weeks. To get the research and the footage.

I want to ensure that this is quality work and the viewer learns, thinks, and goes "Whoa" after the credits are done. :cool:

HouseOfPain
24th Jul 2008, 13:47
Well, with the new technology that has just been aquired[blip.tv], plus the indecision on what should be included in the next run (Info on Castle Clinton, Mole People, Underground Tunnels a la Manhattan Project, Crime Lords, and/or the development of AIDS/HIV... so many to choose from!)

So it could be within the next two weeks. To get the research and the footage.

I want to ensure that this is quality work and the viewer learns, thinks, and goes "Whoa" after the credits are done. :cool:

Understandable.

Here at Eidos we are USED TO **** ING WAITING -FOAMS AT MOUTH-

JerichoMccoy
28th Jul 2008, 23:23
Well, this is taking a bit longer as anticipated.

The B&N around my house has none of the books on display, and my public library is down the tubes bad.

I like to get my information from a physical form rather than an "Internet source", but it may look that way.

More information as it is given.

HouseOfPain
28th Jul 2008, 23:38
If you are looking for books you miiight be able to find them here.

www.paperbackswap.com

You can swap books you have for new ones, its a pretty good system that I use (I also use it for CD's and DVDs)

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jul 2008, 00:00
Well, this is taking a bit longer as anticipated.

The B&N around my house has none of the books on display, and my public library is down the tubes bad.

I like to get my information from a physical form rather than an "Internet source", but it may look that way.

More information as it is given.

Check the descriptions on Amazon of books you're seeking and do a little surfing on the subject. Internet sourcing isn't 100% bad, but it's important to not use just one source (like Wikipedia). Read the pro and con of views to get a good balance, too. What's bad about internet sourcing is that it's either all pro or all con, and that there's questions in how the content came in existence (someone with a beef against a topic; someone who's paid to hype a topic). Too many also fall into the trap of believing their own biases, too. Objectivity is the key (easy to say, very difficult to be!).

JerichoMccoy
29th Jul 2008, 00:13
Check the descriptions on Amazon of books you're seeking and do a little surfing on the subject. Internet sourcing isn't 100% bad, but it's important to not use just one source (like Wikipedia). Read the pro and con of views to get a good balance, too. What's bad about internet sourcing is that it's either all pro or all con, and that there's questions in how the content came in existence (someone with a beef against a topic; someone who's paid to hype a topic). Too many also fall into the trap of believing their own biases, too. Objectivity is the key (easy to say, very difficult to be!).

I didn't want to spend money on the material! :lol: It's true about what you say; sort of why if I am going to be using any sourcing from the internet, it'll be from a government site (of coarse, some info will be 'omitted'), or a reputable source (cross-checking the info I do).

Wikipedia I will never use for a project like this! I'm not looking for "thoughts on the facts/subject" material, more like "these are facts that make you think something could be going on".

I just have to continue my search (probably make a visit to NY myself... imagine that...) and find those sources.

If you are looking for books you miiight be able to find them here.

www.paperbackswap.com

You can swap books you have for new ones, its a pretty good system that I use (I also use it for CD's and DVDs)

Hmm, that does look like something I can do over the fall time, but for now, I need this info stat!

I got the footage from the game and the outline of what subjects I'll be hitting (If you played through the Battery Park/NSF Warehouse mission, then you can guess where I'm going to go with that).

If anyone has anymore suggestions, I am willing to listen!

HouseOfPain
29th Jul 2008, 00:31
Wait, when did I say that?

>_>

JerichoMccoy
29th Jul 2008, 00:57
Heh, sorry there, buddy.

Reading so much on the internet and I forget to place your words in!

Will not happen again. By the UNATCO code. :cool:

HouseOfPain
29th Jul 2008, 01:30
Heh, sorry there, buddy.

Reading so much on the internet and I forget to place your words in!

Will not happen again. By the UNATCO code. :cool:

Damn straight =)

Im kidding, so whens the next one due out, got an estimate?

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jul 2008, 01:48
Wikipedia I will never use for a project like this! I'm not looking for "thoughts on the facts/subject" material, more like "these are facts that make you think something could be going on".

What facts? Spent my day today getting banned from there for stressing them! lol Caught a guy trying to pass a falsehood as a source he knew was even false, and he had a royal hissy fit when I revealed it; went to his admin friends (that naturally protect these types); and BAM, I am banned for questioning an admin's pet.

That's the daily life at Wikipedia!

JerichoMccoy
29th Jul 2008, 02:41
Damn straight =)

Im kidding, so whens the next one due out, got an estimate?

End of the week to Next week. I'll spruce something out with the vids and the information I get. I want peeps to think with these vids!

What facts? Spent my day today getting banned from there for stressing them! lol Caught a guy trying to pass a falsehood as a source he knew was even false, and he had a royal hissy fit when I revealed it; went to his admin friends (that naturally protect these types); and BAM, I am banned for questioning an admin's pet.

That's the daily life at Wikipedia!

LoL, I didn't mean I'm looking for facts on that site, oh no. I meant that part to be separate.

Wikipedia is just not my cup of Orange pop.

Freddo
29th Jul 2008, 05:17
Nice video, well done! :)

JerichoMccoy
31st Jul 2008, 16:05
Next Chapter is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZJi_zYvLE
http://blip.tv/file/1132543/

Discusses a bit of "Castle Clinton" and the viral epidemic surrounding the world.

It's a bit shorter, but it's to absorb the information little by little.

If the reading gets too much, I may need to get a voice-over :cool:

HouseOfPain
31st Jul 2008, 19:50
These videos are Damn good, keep them up Jericho! The HIV thing.. I never knew, thats an astounding theory!

René
31st Jul 2008, 20:16
Next Chapter is up

This is really, really, good stuff, JerichoMccoy. You and Aaron seem to have a competition going when it comes to creating awesome content from very little. Excellent stuff.

It's amazing how forward-thinking the original Deus Ex was. For a game released in 2000, it's incredible how it foretold events to happen in the eight years since. Just amazing.

One recommendation I have is to allow those huge blocks of text to appear on screen longer...I can't quite read them all before it fades to the next screen. But I eagerly await the next chapter!

HouseOfPain
31st Jul 2008, 21:06
If you do narrate, make sure you do it in a dark, but calm J.C. Denton voice.

Just dont say "Sure" like he does in the Lucky Money!

"Suuuuuuure...."

HouseOfPain
31st Jul 2008, 21:07
This is really, really, good stuff, JerichoMccoy. You and Aaron seem to have a competition going when it comes to creating awesome content from very little. Excellent stuff.

It's amazing how forward-thinking the original Deus Ex was. For a game released in 2000, it's incredible how it foretold events to happen in the eight years since. Just amazing.

One recommendation I have is to allow those huge blocks of text to appear on screen longer...I can't quite read them all before it fades to the next screen. But I eagerly await the next chapter!

Rene' loves your work, its official, you are going to Eidos Montreal. This time bring him a... a...

hmm..

Pack of Lays chips =D

René
31st Jul 2008, 21:32
Rene' loves your work, its official, you are going to Eidos Montreal. This time bring him a... a...

hmm..

Pack of Lays chips =D

Hey! I have higher standards than that!

Make it two packs.

HouseOfPain
31st Jul 2008, 23:27
Hey! I have higher standards than that!

Make it two packs.

You never cease to make me laugh :lol:

JerichoMccoy
2nd Aug 2008, 22:39
:thumbsup: Excellent! Moderators are taking interest! Me like me like!

I can't wait until I reach that one moment between JC and Morpheus :cool: But that's thinking way too much into the future.

Speaking of which, its amazing how some of these events correlate a bit to events that have happened in today's world.

Makes you wonder if this is all part of a grand scheme, if so, what is it?

It's just nice to get some opening perspectives and a new pair of "shades" to view the world.

Now back to work... UNATCO = Homeland Security? Hmm...

HouseOfPain
2nd Aug 2008, 23:25

:D

Get crackin, now! ^^

Laputin Man
3rd Aug 2008, 04:17
:thumbsup: Excellent! Moderators are taking interest! Me like me like!

I can't wait until I reach that one moment between JC and Morpheus :cool: But that's thinking way too much into the future.

Speaking of which, its amazing how some of these events correlate a bit to events that have happened in today's world.

Makes you wonder if this is all part of a grand scheme, if so, what is it?

It's just nice to get some opening perspectives and a new pair of "shades" to view the world.

I'd just like to say that these videos are truly brilliant. I especially like how you throw related text up and follow it up with lines from various characters in the game. Making it appear even deeper, or maybe just revealing how deep DX really was. You're videos gave me goosebumps and such a great feeling of nostalgia as well. I MUST HAVE MORE!!!

minus0ne
3rd Aug 2008, 11:19
These videos are Damn good, keep them up Jericho! The HIV thing.. I never knew, thats an astounding theory!
Nonetheless, the OPV theory has been *widely* researched and is generally rejected amongst scientists, whereas there is a boatload of scientific proof supporting the Hunter theory. Of course it makes excellent conspiracy fodder, but when you read up about it you'll see it's very implausible and there's no proof to support it.

But good videos anyway, just not this HIV bit, which seems to support the OPV theory.

JerichoMccoy
3rd Aug 2008, 12:46
Nonetheless, the OPV theory has been *widely* researched and is generally rejected amongst scientists, whereas there is a boatload of scientific proof supporting the Hunter theory. Of course it makes excellent conspiracy fodder, but when you read up about it you'll see it's very implausible and there's no proof to support it.

But good videos anyway, just not this HIV bit, which seems to support the OPV theory.

Yay! Critiques!

I can tell ya this that it is not "supporting" any one theory (just that that was the only one I can get info on at the time and corresponding slide indicating that there are "more" out there), just that there are other viewpoints besides the one given.

It's just astonishing that we can trace this virus to the origins of monkeys, but yet we have no cure? Probably plenty of scientific reasons why but hey...

I leave that up for the viewer to explore ;) Such as you did.

EDIT: Forgot to add this in, but in the next few chapters, I'll give more than one theory(if applicable). I want to be able to show facts that make you go "Hmm?" instead showing "This is how I see it" sort of viewing.

So thanks for the heads up, minus0ne.

minus0ne
3rd Aug 2008, 22:34
Yay! Critiques!

I can tell ya this that it is not "supporting" any one theory (just that that was the only one I can get info on at the time and corresponding slide indicating that there are "more" out there), just that there are other viewpoints besides the one given.
Well not critique per sé, just context ;) It's clear Ion Storm intended that in the world of DX, people were told the Gray Death came from apes/monkeys (not the same thing, but whatever), like perhaps an AIDS v2.0, if you will. But while the bum and the people who inhabit the fictional world of DX clearly have cause to be sceptical of the origins of Gray Death, we in the real world have no real cause to doubt the Hunter theory, as there's lots of evidence to support it and no evidence to the contrary or supporting the OPV and other theories.

It's just astonishing that we can trace this virus to the origins of monkeys, but yet we have no cure? Probably plenty of scientific reasons why but hey...

I leave that up for the viewer to explore ;) Such as you did.
Well we were taught a bit about it in Biology at high school here, which was pretty extensive (and the Dutch education system ranks pretty high /brag :D ).

Basically the trouble is that HIV is the nastiest of nasty viruses (as opposed to a bacterium which is susceptible to antibiotics) in that it directly targets the immune system and destroys it. Our only hope in treating a virus is our own immune system, yet by the time it's identified both our innate and adaptive immune systems are too weak to do anything about it. This is further complicated by the fact it's a lentivirus, a slow retrovirus (with a long incubation period), AND the fact it's one of the most mutagenic strains of retrovirus in existence (even moreso than influenza iirc). As the immune system is slowly destroyed over the years, patients become more and more susceptible to opportunistic infections (so that, in the end, patients die of the effects of common illnesses like influenza and to add insult to injury, secondary effects of the body's annihilated immune system).

It has something in common with H5N1 in that it also essentially turns one's own immune system against itself. There are probably a lot of great documentaries covering this, but off the top of my head I can highly recommend BBC's "Pandemic" about avian flu, which covers a lot of the basics of why viruses can be so damn nasty (and why avian flu kills young, healthy people instead of older weaker people).

People who like to say "There's a cure to AIDS, but that doesn't make them half the money treatments do" clearly fail to see how viruses work (and specifically HIV) and why nature can still be the better of us, even with all our electron microscopes, antibiotics and space age medical science.

EDIT: Forgot to add this in, but in the next few chapters, I'll give more than one theory(if applicable). I want to be able to show facts that make you go "Hmm?" instead showing "This is how I see it" sort of viewing.

So thanks for the heads up, minus0ne.
No problem, I look forward to the next chapters :)

HouseOfPain
4th Aug 2008, 00:14
Don't think im Naive or anything XD I don't think the HIV theory is true, I just never thought of thinking of it that way.

jcp28
4th Aug 2008, 00:22
You did a good job with the trailer, Jericho.:) But of course, I knew it alll already, except for the OPV theory. It sounds like the sort of theory some anti-government type might cook up. But you know that like you said.

serene_chaos
4th Aug 2008, 01:42
perhaps i missed something -
can you explain to me why the words "Gilead" and "medicinal balm, in the bible" appear highlighted at about 3:13?
what is the significance here?

otherwise, good job!

P.S. there was a spelling error in the opening text block of chapter 1, "Of coarse" should be "of course", unless the quote is (sic)

otherwise, good job!

JerichoMccoy
4th Aug 2008, 02:51
Basically the trouble is that HIV is the nastiest of nasty viruses (as opposed to a bacterium which is susceptible to antibiotics) in that it directly targets the immune system and destroys it. Our only hope in treating a virus is our own immune system, yet by the time it's identified both our innate and adaptive immune systems are too weak to do anything about it. This is further complicated by the fact it's a lentivirus, a slow retrovirus (with a long incubation period), AND the fact it's one of the most mutagenic strains of retrovirus in existence (even moreso than influenza iirc). As the immune system is slowly destroyed over the years, patients become more and more susceptible to opportunistic infections (so that, in the end, patients die of the effects of common illnesses like influenza and to add insult to injury, secondary effects of the body's annihilated immune system).

No problem, I look forward to the next chapters :)

You know what's intriguing though? I was reading an account of Ebola (One of the three types.. the really nasty one... I believe it was Ebola Zaire?) and that there could have been a pandemic let loose in Washington, in America! The story never caught wind from the press, as there were no infected humans(well, no infected humans that died from E-Z), just a laboratory filled with 160 lab monkeys that were infected... and the stuff could spread through the AIR! And it has the symptoms of the common flu!

And there's a bacteria lab somewhere in the West Indies... I have to grab a hold of the info on that one, but whew-ie! The Government sure likes to poke around in places that are very dangerous.

And you Dutch Edu-ma-cation! We needs that edu-ma-cation here in.. uh.. O.S.A.? Oh, wait U.S.A.! Ha ha! There we go. I found it. It's right next to that boot looking place.

can you explain to me why the words "Gilead" and "medicinal balm, in the bible" appear highlighted at about 3:13?
what is the significance here?

Good question. I think someone should look into that company a bit more for the answer... :cool: Muhahaha.

Honestly, don't have a clue. Just the whole biblical reference (and a little bit of that J.C.Denton actually meaning Jesus Christ Denton popping out) kinda freaks me out a bit. And that they are one of the top suppliers of a treatment that is affecting a good part of the population... meh, craziness.

Don't worry. Nothing else to see there. :whistle:

Thank you all for the support though. I have to make sure I stay on top of this and give out the best info (or at least, make some heads turn and some minds ponder) I can.

JerichoMccoy
8th Sep 2008, 02:53
Chapter 3 is now up and running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4UotSazFQ [YouTube Version]

http://blip.tv/file/1241412/ [Hi-Res Version] (HIGHLY ADVISABLE TO WATCH THIS FIRST)

I'm still trying to find a good balance here but I'm sure as the Chapters come together, they'll get better and better (Hopefully I'll manage to find a Narrator or some exclusive footage of in-game and in-reality stuff)

And it took this long because I was on vacation. Heh, some of this stuff can get depressing so, it is very good to take a break once and a while.

René
8th Sep 2008, 13:41
Once again, you have delivered! I love it all!

pewbeng
8th Sep 2008, 14:42
Moarrrr!

I love it.

I started writing a Deus Ex pendant to the Fallout Bible about a year ago, but half the work was lost after my Maxtor HDD went all KRCHZRZHCZHRCH.

Your project sort of inspires me to re-engage that effort. Plus, I have to play it again anyway. It's been half a year already. Can't have that now, can we?

Anyway, keep on going!

K^2
8th Sep 2008, 15:44
Lego Inter Versus? I think I see what you were trying to say, but either my Latin is getting rusty, or this is not properly formed.

JerichoMccoy
8th Sep 2008, 15:54
Heh, no, it's not properly formed. Thank BabelFish for that one!

If you know how to say "Reading Between The Lines" in Latin, that would be most appreciative.

K^2
8th Sep 2008, 18:21
Well, Lego means "I am reading". I'm not sure what exactly you want it to be instead. Legere would mean "To read...". Legit would mean "[He/She is] Reading...", which is probably the closest I can come up with, but I'm pretty sure there is a better one yet.

Inter is probably fine. Though, you are sort of skipping an object there. It is really "Reading [something that is located] between the lines." I think you can drop that part in Latin as well, but I can't think of an example.

And I think the "Lines" need to be in plural ablative. That would make it "Inter Versibus."

Legit Inter Versibus is the best I can come up with, but it is probably still flawed.