PDA

View Full Version : How "simmy" is BSP going to be?

Arrow
20th Jul 2008, 16:03
I'm really hoping it's not going to be super-realistic. >.>

Thedivingmongoose
20th Jul 2008, 19:06
I'm really hoping it's not going to be super-realistic. >.>

Based on what I saw on the Dev's videos it looks to be about the same as Battlestations: Midway. If you look at how he attacks the yard with rockets it seem like it would play out the same on Midway (if you could use rockets). Looks like it will be pretty fun....if my pc can handle it. If not I will turn all my settings as low as they can go.

It took me over an hour last night to see them(the vids)...and I only got to see one of them once because it instantly goes to an advertisement when it reaches the end....and I didn't feel like waiting another hour.

Ryback14
29th Jul 2008, 02:01
i would rather it be more on the realistic side. the last thing i want is crimson skies in a battlestations game.

Arrow
29th Jul 2008, 03:07
Why's that?

I personally see the Battlestations series to be semi-realistic. I honestly have seen a lot of people wanting something more "simmy", and I'm trying to understand why. >.>

battleshipman
29th Jul 2008, 07:05
Why's that?

I personally see the Battlestations series to be semi-realistic. I honestly have seen a lot of people wanting something more "simmy", and I'm trying to understand why. >.>

Because games that are to much in the arcade world suck.

Arrow
29th Jul 2008, 10:51
Maybe, but I also never said that the game has to be completely arcade-y.

com345
29th Jul 2008, 15:54
i think the mixture between arcade and sim is good as it is in BSM now
just try to keep this level and everything should be fine

crazyhorse128
30th Jul 2008, 08:31
Maybe a tad more 'simmy' is needed in the flight area of the game

The M00ps
3rd Aug 2008, 23:13

Agreed. I'm hoping the cockpit view will help with that, but I'd also like to see a way to adjust the control scheme for aircraft. I've played a lot of Over G Fighters, and when coming back to this game, the a/c controls are all wonky.

David603
4th Aug 2008, 01:39
I think the whole game should be made "a tad more simmy". Some of the arcade stuff like the miniscule gun ranges on ships, the damage model, and the ludicrously underpowered torpedoes bug me everytime I play BSM.

Arrow
4th Aug 2008, 18:25
Ship-based torpedoes I find don't have a good enough effort-to-damage ratio (i.e you work hard to get a ship-based torp into an enemy warship, but it causes very little damage) but plane and sub-based torps are fine the way they are. Planes, after all, can get in close very easily due to their speed, small size, and large numbers...subs can use stealth and their immunity to shells to get close enough for torp strikes.

Therefore, I think it would be more prudent to, rather than increase the damage from all torpedoes, give ship-based torpedoes that extra power that makes them worthwhile. Aerial torpedoes were obviously lighter than ship-based ones, so shouldn't they cause less damage respectively?

Subs are something else, though.

M00ps, I don't know about you (esp. if you're on the Xbox) but the flight controls for me work just fine. I use a Logitech Attack 3 flight stick, so everything works great for me. Flight controls, IMO, should be kept similar to that of Ace Combat. My biggest gripe about the flight controls is lack of an easily-controllable freelook. Gotta hold down Ctrl and use the mouse to look around. I dunno about you, but I'd need three arms - one to fly the plane, one to hold Ctrl, and one to use the mouse to look around. Pretty impossible. >.>

David603
4th Aug 2008, 18:53
Ship-based torpedoes I find don't have a good enough effort-to-damage ratio (i.e you work hard to get a ship-based torp into an enemy warship, but it causes very little damage) but plane and sub-based torps are fine the way they are. Planes, after all, can get in close very easily due to their speed, small size, and large numbers...subs can use stealth and their immunity to shells to get close enough for torp strikes.

Therefore, I think it would be more prudent to, rather than increase the damage from all torpedoes, give ship-based torpedoes that extra power that makes them worthwhile. Aerial torpedoes were obviously lighter than ship-based ones, so shouldn't they cause less damage respectively?

Subs are something else, though.
I would boost the power of both ship and sub torpedoes. An aerial torpedo has an 18in diameter, short range and a warhead of aprox 180kg (warhead size varies between different nationalities torpedoes). The Americans and British use 21in torpedoes for ships and subs, with a warhead size of aprox 360kg, while the Japanese use the 24in Long Lance with longer range and a 490kg warhead.

As you can see, there is a sizeable difference between the hitting power of an aerial torpedo and a naval torpedo, so a 21in torpedo would have twice the stopping power of a 18in torpedo plus extra range and speed, while a 24in torpedo would have 2.5 times the power and even more range and speed over both smaller torpedoes. In keeping with the new differences between sides, such as the Japanese having kamikazies and the Americans having better fighters, I would hope that the Japanese would get the Long Lances to balance the powerful late war American cruisers.

Arrow
5th Aug 2008, 04:01
We might see more sub power since cruisers and destroyers now have sonar. Assuming they haven't gotten rid of DC planes, this really means that subs will have it tough sneaking up on any ship of the cruiser size or smaller. Better torpedoes might help out somewhat.

As for the long lances, it might be possible but the US will obviously be more newb-friendly since it's far easier to aim guns than it is to aim torpedoes. So short of ridiculously overpowering torpedoes to the point of a one-shot-kill, I don't think it's possible to balance the Japanese with just torpedoes. I think you're gonna need something else with that.

Commander92
11th Oct 2008, 08:18
Would be fun to control gunner positions in the bombers.

crazyhorse128
11th Oct 2008, 09:20
you can already do that, press Y on the 360.

Commander92
12th Oct 2008, 07:44
What about the PC version?

Red October
12th Oct 2008, 12:11
What about the PC version?

Hold down control.

M0n3y
12th Oct 2008, 17:20
Hold down control.

i press middle mouse...

Polarshark