PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!!!

lightbringerrr
18th Jul 2008, 23:28
Anything new yet? Do we have so much as a website?

In other news:

The Joker is now "The Crow":mad2: , and The X-Files-I want To Believe has been confirmed as a 2-hour "monster of the week"( My favoriteepisodes:rolleyes: yeeeaaaahhhh:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )motion picture.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

The world is truly going to hell in a hand basket.

HouseOfPain
19th Jul 2008, 00:21
Lol, I wish there was somethin new e.e

I just keep replaying Deus Ex 1, and I ordered IW off of Amazon to get back into the story (I pawned my copy a long time ago)

I love shooting the UNATCO guys and then hiding behind Walton Simons to make him angry at the UNATCO guys =)

(never gets old XD)

lightbringerrr
19th Jul 2008, 00:33
Lol, I wish there was somethin new e.e

I just keep replaying Deus Ex 1, and I ordered IW off of Amazon to get back into the story (I pawned my copy a long time ago)

I love shooting the UNATCO guys and then hiding behind Walton Simons to make him angry at the UNATCO guys =)

(never gets old XD)

I love the quirky glitches in DX1. "Deus Ex: Bloodbath" never gets old. Just run around in God Mode killing everything that moves, and watch the hilarity ensue!
A nice, friendly chat with Manderly as UNATCO troops are riddling you with ammo is just one of many good times to be had.

HouseOfPain
19th Jul 2008, 00:41
I love the quirky glitches in DX1. "Deus Ex: Bloodbath" never gets old. Just run around in God Mode killing everything that moves, and watch the hilarity ensue!
A nice, friendly chat with Manderly as UNATCO troops are riddling you with ammo is just one of many good times to be had.

I can wait another month or so, but really, all this cant keep me distracted for long.

At least another Concept art or the big "P"* word?
*prequel

lightbringerrr
19th Jul 2008, 01:09
I can wait another month or so, but really, all this cant keep me distracted for long.

*prequel

I hear you. It's hard to keep your "eyes on the prize" when there are so many NOT good games to choose from on a regular basis. I buy games like I go to the movies; very rarely. The only thing on the horizon right now for me is SWTFU.
When IW came out, I bought it on a Friday after work and I didn't go to bed until 32 hours later. And, I threw down 3 bills for a new video card as well.
I'm looking forward to another long DX session again. That is, unless of course, it is released before 2012 and before we're all wiped-out by Planet X.:D

ricwhite
19th Jul 2008, 02:50
*prequel

ANOTHER concept art? Did I miss the first one?

gamer0004
19th Jul 2008, 05:06

Apparently...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/april08/dx3.JPG

HouseOfPain
19th Jul 2008, 05:26

Have you been under a small metal crate this entire time? :P

And probably by 2012 we will have all the Crystal skulls together, so im not worried ;) I just want Deus Ex 3 to be RIGHT

lightbringerrr
19th Jul 2008, 06:00
I hear ya'. Though I'm far from being an IW hater, I like the idea of as much time spent on crafting a story as making sure all the visual gizmos and doodads can appeal to the 5 second attention-span crowd.

The funny thing is though; IW had to be a hell of a lot more of a creative challenge concept-wise than DX1, because if you really break it down, Spector was using pre-existing concepts and themes. Granted, he and the IOS crew ran like hell with it and made the old conspiracy theories come alive in an environment that wasn't too far removed from present day, but they painted themselves in to a corner with the multiple endings.
I think that, more than anything else, is what compromised Invisible War. I still had hours of fun playing it though.
Maybe Lucas Arts has the right idea; good guy ending or bad guy ending, but only one can be canon.
And though Star Wars is an altogether different world than DX, there will be several questions answered regarding Vader and Sidious in the upcoming game, and I find that just as exciting as playing the game itself.

Romeo
19th Jul 2008, 07:40
Have you been under a small metal crate this entire time? :P

And probably by 2012 we will have all the Crystal skulls together, so im not worried ;) I just want Deus Ex 3 to be RIGHT

By 2012, they Mayan calender will come to an end, and their perfect mathmatical predictions will doom us by the end of the year. As if to validate their theories, it will be the first time in twenty million years that our sun will be directly in the center of the Milky Way. An odd coincidence, isn't it? =P

lightbringerrr
19th Jul 2008, 07:51
By 2012, they Mayan calender will come to an end, and their perfect mathmatical predictions will doom us by the end of the year. As if to validate their theories, it will be the first time in twenty million years that our sun will be directly in the center of the Milky Way. An odd coincidence, isn't it? =P

Further cause to reject the metric system!:D

Romeo
19th Jul 2008, 08:04
Ah, my dear friend, the metric system leaves time unmolested. Whether you're imperial or metric, a second is still a second. The Mayans did use a different system than the calenders we use today, however, but I hardly think you would truly want to support the system that would doom us all... Would you?

lightbringerrr
19th Jul 2008, 08:22
Ah, my dear friend, the metric system leaves time unmolested. Whether you're imperial or metric, a second is still a second. The Mayans did use a different system than the calenders we use today, however, but I hardly think you would truly want to support the system that would doom us all... Would you?

I believe that ultimately, the measure of time has little to do with our possible destruction.

SemiAnonymous
19th Jul 2008, 08:22

That's completely untrue, seeing as how the solar system is located on the edge of the galaxy, and how we'd be sitting in a presumed Black Hole.

Aaaanyways, I want some sort of update soon, even if its just another concept art that has a little note from the devs, telling us that it is indeed concept art of an area used in DX3. Where it is, what it is, and what role it plays is completely up to us.
Either that, or maybe some art of the players, with out telling us who is who. That'll be speculation that would last weeks.

lightbringerrr
19th Jul 2008, 08:36
That's completely untrue, seeing as how the solar system is located on the edge of the galaxy, and how we'd be sitting in a presumed Black Hole.

Aaaanyways, I want some sort of update soon, even if its just another concept art that has a little note from the devs, telling us that it is indeed concept art of an area used in DX3. Where it is, what it is, and what role it plays is completely up to us.
Either that, or maybe some art of the players, with out telling us who is who. That'll be speculation that would last weeks.

Indeed. And I thought waiting for football to start was slow and excrutiating ...

ricwhite
19th Jul 2008, 16:14
Apparently...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/april08/dx3.JPG

Oh, okay. I HAVE seen that one. Looking good.

Romeo
20th Jul 2008, 10:42

Well, do a quick search of 2012, Apocolypse, Preperation and News on google, and I'm sure you'll comprihend the article much better, but the way I read it, it says "center of the galaxy". And by the way, we arn't at the edge, we're less than half the length of the radius of the Milky Way away from the center. And the middle of is not a presumed black hole, but rather a dense area of stars. Scientists rejected the former theory quite a few years back. Lastly, I'm sure that the black hole of information Eidos is leaving us with will doom us all long before 2012. :p

Kevyne-Shandris
21st Jul 2008, 09:19
Anything new yet? Do we have so much as a website?

Want MORE, MORE MORE than a website...

WANT THE GAME N-O-W!!!

lightbringerrr
21st Jul 2008, 16:18
Want MORE, MORE MORE than a website...

WANT THE GAME N-O-W!!!

RITALIN, STAT!!!

iWait
21st Jul 2008, 19:14
Oh God he discovered font size
Somebody grab a GEP Gun...

lightbringerrr
21st Jul 2008, 21:43
Oh God he discovered font size
Somebody grab a GEP Gun... :lol: :D :lol:

I........

WANT

CAN-DY!!!http://www.imissthe80s.com/bwow3.jpg

HouseOfPain
21st Jul 2008, 23:07
What the hell is that? O_o

lightbringerrr
21st Jul 2008, 23:24
What the hell is that? O_o

Bow-Wow-Wow:"I want Candy", English Band, 1982. Used in a bajillion films along with "Rock This Town" by the Stray Cats( that's Brian Setzer for you youngins' ).:D

HouseOfPain
21st Jul 2008, 23:53
I can see that womans bad parts ._.

lul, very interesting looking band O_o

lightbringerrr
22nd Jul 2008, 01:23
I can see that womans bad parts ._.

lul, very interesting looking band O_o

That's actually a fairly recent picture. This what they looked like back in the day:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/bow.png

Here's a link to the video, the singer was 15 when it was made:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHcaIJETZo

Romeo
22nd Jul 2008, 03:54
This thread has decreased severely in terms of quality. lol

HouseOfPain
22nd Jul 2008, 07:19
Lmfao, I agree completely.

lightbringerrr
22nd Jul 2008, 13:56
This thread has decreased severely in terms of quality. lol

Well, when you only get a meager crumb of information once every 3 months regarding this game, you gots'ta to keep yourself amused somehow...

René
22nd Jul 2008, 14:09
The lack of concrete game info right now can be tough, but an official Eidos Montréal/Deus Ex 3 Developer's Blog is in development and should launch in less than two months.

lightbringerrr
22nd Jul 2008, 14:21
The lack of concrete game info right now can be tough, but an official Eidos Montréal/Deus Ex 3 Developer's Blog is in development and should launch in less than two months.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnntastick!!!!:D

Kevyne-Shandris
22nd Jul 2008, 15:23

Two months is a lifetime.

Two years an E-T-E-R-N-I-T-Y.

lightbringerrr
22nd Jul 2008, 15:40
Two months is a lifetime.

Two years an E-T-E-R-N-I-T-Y.

You are too old. Yes; too old to begin the training...
He has no patience...

jcp28
22nd Jul 2008, 15:53
^

That's a lady you're quoting there.

I admit, I don't like to wait either, but I try to prioritize. I'm a bit bust at the moment you see.

René
22nd Jul 2008, 16:41
When it comes to waiting, keep in mind that the goal of Deus Ex 3 is to kick a whole tonne of ass. Kicking the anticipated amount of ass requires a lot of work, and thus, time.

Kevyne-Shandris
22nd Jul 2008, 16:55
You are too old. Yes; too old to begin the training...
He has no patience...

My patience is tried since I've played DX from 2003 (downloaded the game from Yahoo [that's long before D2D existed], loved it and ordered the disks).

My patience is tried after watching (and participating some) in the DX:IW meltdown -- do not, repeat, do not like DX:IW.

My patience is tried in a teaser that doesn't explain much other than some continuity with the old, and the fear of the new (read #2).

Do I want the game now? YES!! Will I wait 2 years IF it's released? YES!! But I have zero patience due to the above.

WANT DX3 N-O-W!!

HouseOfPain
22nd Jul 2008, 17:56
My patience is tried since I've played DX from 2003 (downloaded the game from Yahoo [that's long before D2D existed], loved it and ordered the disks).

My patience is tried after watching (and participating some) in the DX:IW meltdown -- do not, repeat, do not like DX:IW.

My patience is tried in a teaser that doesn't explain much other than some continuity with the old, and the fear of the new (read #2).

Do I want the game now? YES!! Will I wait 2 years IF it's released? YES!! But I have zero patience due to the above.

WANT DX3 N-O-W!!

Scadvid is kinda scary :D

If I said I had a complete copy in my hand *waves it* would you tackle me and gouge out my eyes to get it?

Kevyne-Shandris
22nd Jul 2008, 18:36
Scadvid is kinda scary :D

If I said I had a complete copy in my hand *waves it* would you tackle me and gouge out my eyes to get it?

I'll just have him lift your copy...

http://home.comcast.net/~deus_ex_machina/img/FEAR_Fettel.gif

:lol:

HouseOfPain
22nd Jul 2008, 19:44
I'll just have him lift your copy...

http://home.comcast.net/~deus_ex_machina/img/FEAR_Fettel.gif

:lol:

O_O

lightbringerrr
23rd Jul 2008, 04:12
When it comes to waiting, keep in mind that the goal of Deus Ex 3 is to kick a whole tonne of ass. Kicking the anticipated amount of ass requires a lot of work, and thus, time.

You got it. It's the only way to fly if you want to ensure success. That is scenario number one.

Scenario number two goes like this:

"Let's rush the game for Christmas, play loose and fast with the storyline so we can make sure all of the visual goodies get top priority( never minding the salient FACT that we'll have to release patches every week to fix the inevitable ****-up's that our delightful haste has made a charming reality ), and end up with "Invisible War meets Knights Of The Old Republic 2"!!!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!:lol: :nut: :lol:

I just spent $50.00 on a pile of crap, and I'm LOVING IT!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!:lmao: :lol: :nut: :mad2: :lol: :lmao:

DXeXodus
23rd Jul 2008, 04:33
^^ +10 internet points for originality of post and variance in colour :D

As for patience, well, that's another story.
I think that we all need to wait patiently and look forward to the upcoming developer blog which will hopefully give us all alot to talk about.

lightbringerrr
23rd Jul 2008, 05:05
^^ +10 internet points for originality of post and variance in colour :D

As for patience, well, that's another story.
I think that we all need to wait patiently and look forward to the upcoming developer blog which will hopefully give us all alot to talk about.

Thank you, kind sir. I do manage to nail one now and again.
Let's take this a step further, shall we?
In regards to my previous post:

If DX3 is running for President of the United States, Scenario #1 is currently overseas making inroads to the mid east and meeting people of importance while assuring them that a new day is coming.
Scenario #2 is popping 'Geritol' and putting even senior citizens to sleep and enjoying a lovely dinner at 4:00 in the afternoon. :nut: :nut: :nut:

iWait
23rd Jul 2008, 05:37
Meh, Obama's a commie and McCain is a commie who just doesn't know he's a commie.

lightbringerrr
23rd Jul 2008, 05:53
Meh, Obama's a commie and McCain is a commie who just doesn't know he's a commie.

Think about this for a moment:
Gas prices completely through the roof. The mid east completely unstable and up in our grill for decades to come. And last but not least; Russia parading armament through the streets of Red Square.

I hypothesize that George W. Bush is really.....

JIMMY CARTER!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!:lol: :mad2: :lmao: :lol:

Yep; it's the late 70's minus a Star Wars movie and KISS blowing-off pyro while playing 'Detroit Rock City'! In short; a place I don't wanna' be.

iWait
23rd Jul 2008, 06:05
Guess who first thought of universal healthcare?

OH ****

I'll give you a hint, ends in "X" and becomes popular during "Generation X"

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 07:01
"Let's rush the game for Christmas, play loose and fast with the storyline so we can make sure all of the visual goodies get top priority( never minding the salient FACT that we'll have to release patches every week to fix the inevitable ****-up's that our delightful haste has made a charming reality ), and end up with "Invisible War meets Knights Of The Old Republic 2"!!!

That's the status quo!

Just look at that sub sim game Silent Hunter 4. Pure betaware passed as gold, so beta the game isn't playable without MULTIPLE patches.

The publishers now hurries the games out the door to satisify the investors, then they wonder why their franchises don't last long (nevermind not having enough modders to keep it lasting, since the "required" modding tools now cost a fortune -- and even then, you can't edit too much as the import tool won't allow you to import new content from even these 6k 3D programs). They claim devs don't like modders touching their work, well they got their wish, and the low interest of the game after 6 months is their present in return.

It's not that a fantastic game can't be made in 1 year even, but the way publishers have setup these dev houses (a good example is their new Montreal unit) is a product of the disease. Art produced commercial style = fad ware. More cookie cutter content (oh, just l-o-v-e how C++ libraries are so much shared that content from one game is seen in another even).

Because this is the model this videogame business is operating on today, I don't have much faith that any game will be released that is anywhere as decent as before (where quality control, content and gameplay were king). They're taking short cuts, and those short cuts are seen and felt by the end user.

It's why I really don't care about the "we're taking our time to do it right" PR rah-rah. The game is going to be released with a patch as the "gold"; the storyline plays second to third fiddle; and because all of the graphic dodads, gamers would need to upgrade for 10hrs worth of buggy content (no doubt with publishers in bed with Nvidia/Creative/Intel, you can rest assured they will continue to make games that MUST be played with first generation hardware).

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 07:42

Gosh René you're so blatently Canadian. It should be ton(ne) to include everyone. =P

René
23rd Jul 2008, 12:35
It's why I really don't care about the "we're taking our time to do it right" PR rah-rah.

I can see your point of view here. It sounds like you're a jaded gamer who has been burned one too many times. I guess all I can say to that is that you'll have to wait and see. But lightbringerrr's "scenario" post a couple back kind of reinforces what I was trying to say.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 13:29
I can see your point of view here. It sounds like you're a jaded gamer who has been burned one too many times. I guess all I can say to that is that you'll have to wait and see. But lightbringerrr's "scenario" post a couple back kind of reinforces what I was trying to say.

After DX:IW, ah, what do you expect? :lol:

"Wait and see" and promises of whatever aren't much to hold onto. Knowing IF DX3 will live up to SOMETHING of it's namesake will -- and it's almost August 2008 now, too.

Want the game badly, and also fear the game will be anything but DX. That's a horrible feeling, Rene. Like finding a box of treasure, to only find out after all the trouble to get the lock open, there's nothing but trash in it.

Can the Impossible be Done?

Prove it.

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 14:39
He can't prove it, not until the game is finished. I think that them develloper's blog is a very good idea though. In Forza's forums, we had the weekly "Pit pass report" (Read: Dev Blog) and the system worked beautifully. Fans knew when to check in for information every week, and we also had a constant stream of updates in progress, new ideas and the like. I think this will be a huge success.

lightbringerrr
23rd Jul 2008, 14:47
Guess who first thought of universal healthcare?

OH ****

I'll give you a hint, ends in "X" and becomes popular during "Generation X"

Well, I've tried to find out, but no luck. Malcom X???

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 15:00
Some farmers in Saskatchewan who were tired of being unable to pay for medical bills on their small budgets, who then revolted and demanded government-regulated healthcare, which the premier implemented the following year, driving away many doctors which made the people question what the point of having free healthcare was if there were no doctors? =)

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 15:20
He can't prove it, not until the game is finished. I think that them develloper's blog is a very good idea though. In Forza's forums, we had the weekly "Pit pass report" (Read: Dev Blog) and the system worked beautifully. Fans knew when to check in for information every week, and we also had a constant stream of updates in progress, new ideas and the like. I think this will be a huge success.

He can.

It's quite simple.

PROOF.

Words are meaningless unless there's something to back them up with.

Blogging is a good start. Not so much about "what's happenin' at Eidos-Montreal" but what is happening with DX3.

My interest will be more in set design -- the little things that give a game atmosphere that run+gun types often ignore (heck, was nose down in BF2142 counting the joint seams on the Titan!). Be it the beakers, to plants, to lighting.

Immersion, guys, immersion. How things are placed in a level, can mean something as well (ever played a game and saw walls jump around due to bad joinery? Something so small is noticeable and keeps the eyes off the prize).

lightbringerrr
23rd Jul 2008, 15:59
Some farmers in Saskatchewan who were tired of being unable to pay for medical bills on their small budgets, who then revolted and demanded government-regulated healthcare, which the premier implemented the following year, driving away many doctors which made the people question what the point of having free healthcare was if there were no doctors? =)

Well then the solution is pretty obvious; pay back your med school fees and tuition costs by doing your internship with the state. There are enough doctors in the U.S. who want this to happen. Private practice, of course, will fight it tooth and nail.
But we've reached a point in American History where EVERYBODY is gonna' start taking One For The Team. How is a wealthy person going to stay wealthy when outrageous fuel-related overhead is killing their businesses?

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 16:13
Well then the solution is pretty obvious; pay back your med school fees and tuition costs by doing your internship with the state.

Sounds good on paper, in reality it doesn't work. GA offers such a program and still the more rural counties go without doctors. I see enough ambulances racing from outside Augusta to our hospitals (it's a mega medical complex city for 150 miles). A metro area of 200,000 people, with over 600 MDs and 7 hospitals and regional burn center. They gravitate to such places not just because of the medical college, but because there diagnostic equipment. Those expensive MRI and other imaging equipment is out of the budget for rural areas, why telemedicine is being heavily funded here (which may become the "cure" for the rural physician shortage. They can even do remote surgery this way, too).

lightbringerrr
23rd Jul 2008, 16:34
Sounds good on paper, in reality it doesn't work. GA offers such a program and still the more rural counties go without doctors. I see enough ambulances racing from outside Augusta to our hospitals (it's a mega medical complex city for 150 miles). A metro area of 200,000 people, with over 600 MDs and 7 hospitals and regional burn center. They gravitate to such places not just because of the medical college, but because there diagnostic equipment. Those expensive MRI and other imaging equipment is out of the budget for rural areas, why telemedicine is being heavily funded here (which may become the "cure" for the rural physician shortage. They can even do remote surgery this way, too).

Do your citizens pay in to the system?

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 17:43
Do your citizens pay in to the system?

Pay into what? Rural medicine incentives has been there for over a decade. Telemedicine almost as long (would be interesting if DX3+ would impliment this in the game, instead of always needing to be near a medbot. Just phone up a doc and have a special medkit for the task). And any incentive like that is paid by the taxpayer.

GA has 159 counties (only Texas has more), and the district where I live 2 counties are the most poorest in the state. Medicine there is of satellite clinics, with referrals to Augusta for specialist and diagnostic workups. Rural counties can't afford hospitals outright. Heck, even in Augusta public hospitals have a hard time in funding (used to work in health access, and remember the hardship in trying to redline services and trying to get the state to a fund a better formulary. Cheaper meds don't always = better treatment. Sometimes that $4/dose pill treats better than the 25 cent one, as treatment compliance is a sore point to special populations that need help the most. The bean counters just count pennies. :mad2: ).

But all in all, if rural counties can't attract qualified doctors, then telemedicine is a better bet (it's actually better all together even in larger cities, as patients can have access to very specialized MDs -- from experimental medicine in treatment for cancer, onwards. The remote surgery option will seriously help with special surgeries, too [no longer will the patient have to travel 100 miles and stay overnight/week to recover at their expense]).

Medicine is moving forward.

AaronJ
24th Jul 2008, 04:26
Back on topic...

"Ugh" is right, I'm bored with this forum. We're going over every aspect of the game that has a year to go (a year with little updates it seems) and it's old now. It was exciting for a bit, but now the hype is officially stale. Consider me on standby. See you in a year.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 04:52
Back on topic...

"Ugh" is right, I'm bored with this forum. We're going over every aspect of the game that has a year to go (a year with little updates it seems) and it's old now. It was exciting for a bit, but now the hype is officially stale. Consider me on standby. See you in a year.

It didn't help when the dynamics is anything but the game. At the start the discussions were about the game and it's universe, then it got sidetracked into everything else (complete with trolling, which resulted in a mod babysitting service, that transcended into now having 2 mods for a forum of basically 10 active posters). Now the result is we have more chiefs than indians, and the forum itself is too micromanaged (when I'm posting to a mod more than forumites, because that's all there is to post to, "Houston...we have a problem").

It's almost like Eidos wants fans to post elsewhere -- and at least at Gamespot I can use my nicer avatar and sig, which for the trouble of making them, worth more posting there to display them.

Other games have a built in community for sequels, DX has to start from scratch again (heck, there isn't even a DX forum anymore -- all DX discussion goes into "General" instead). And unfortunately with DX:IW (and the direction it took DX), gamers have a v-e-r-y skeptical view on how DX3 will become -- especially how games are made today.

Want interest? Built it and they will come, but you must talk about the game, not personalities and fluff (100001 forums for that as it is).

iWait
24th Jul 2008, 05:11
There Were Trolls On This Forum?

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 05:33
There Were Trolls On This Forum?

When baiting mods to babysit the forum even, you betcha. Now we're so top heavy it's a UNATCO/MJ12/Illuminati control operation, or prison.

The name of the game here is "control", and if that's the public face, I can just imagine how DX3 will be as linear to control the protagonist.

Micromanagement does that.

iWait
24th Jul 2008, 05:52
/agree

lightbringerrr
24th Jul 2008, 06:40
When baiting mods to babysit the forum even, you betcha. Now we're so top heavy it's a UNATCO/MJ12/Illuminati control operation, or prison.

The name of the game here is "control", and if that's the public face, I can just imagine how DX3 will be as linear to control the protagonist.

Micromanagement does that.

People, people; me thinks you're getting philosophically sidetracked. I don't believe this forum was created solely for the purpose of creating a buzz and/or hype about the game. You've got to remember what brought you here; the cold, hard fact that Deus Ex was a Game Of The Year. That's a Big Deal.
Judging from the in-house footage we all watched, I'd say that there are quite a few fans like ourselves working on this project. It's just too damned early to be making judgment calls.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 06:49
You've got to remember what brought you here; the cold, hard fact that Deus Ex was a Game Of The Year.

Ah, no. I didn't buy DX because it was a "Game of the Year". I bought DX because I downloaded at Yahoo Games, played a few levels, found the story and music superb, and decided to get the game itself. Upon playing it, I came here (since it's the only Eidos title I ever had), and saw the firestorm that was DX:IW.

From that experience, I'd never want to see DX3 to return to that nightmare. Which is why I'm like a conscience, as DX is too good of a game to ruin to just be another "Game of the Year" fad.

DX is a masterpiece, and transcends labels.

Now the issue is will DX3 be the same?

It won't be is it's yet another "Game of the Year" cookie cutter piece of trash, and gamers want that trash, even.

DXeXodus
24th Jul 2008, 06:49
@Scadvid. This forum is not top heavy. We have three moderators here now. Rene, Romeo and myself. The reason that we were asked to be moderators is because people are getting restless and quite aggressive in their posts. Troll activity is on the increase and we need people to keep these sorts of things in check.

You just need to be patient, calm down and stop putting so much pressure on a dev team that, I'm sure, is trying thier utmost best to give us something amazing.

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 06:56
Other games have a built in community for sequels, DX has to start from scratch again (heck, there isn't even a DX forum anymore -- all DX discussion goes into "General" instead).

What do you call this?
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 06:58
You just need to be patient, calm down and stop putting so much pressure on a dev team that, I'm sure, is trying thier utmost best to give us something amazing.

This isn't nothing. I was all over the DICE devs (and made a point of entering their BF2142 dogtag competition for added measure). :lol:

The point is: they released a teaser, and it's not called a teaser for nothing. It's already summer, E3 is here and going gone, and nothing new about the game.

So if folks want to push the "patience" line, don't release teasers to entice fans (then rerelease it when fans did pick it apart, to remove content they discovered).

Want a fan base, of more than 200 Facebook subscribers, Eidos has to do more than just offer 1+1 teasers and some "it'll be kick ass" comments. That's the plain facts - release to the mob, don't expect the mob to be controlled by words alone (or a heavy hand of moderation).

Eidos has to dish out what it can dish in.

What do you call this?
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Notice no DX forum?

So where do you think all the DX related threads are moved too? Not to a Deus Ex forum, but to general discussions.

There isn't even a dedicated DX home on the Eidos site. You will have to go here, for example, for that goodness...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusex/forum.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;forums

DXeXodus
24th Jul 2008, 07:04
....don't expect the mob to be controlled by words alone (or a heavy hand of moderation).

In what way are you experiencing a heavy hand of moderation. 3 mods, 2 of which have been posting with you here for months. We are just here to keep the big green ugly trolls at bay and make sure no one bites anyones heads off, too often :)

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 07:16
In what way are you experiencing a heavy hand of moderation. 3 mods, 2 of which have been posting with you here for months. We are just here to keep the big green ugly trolls at bay and make sure you don't bite eachothers heads off, too often :)

Let's see in couple of hours yesterday alone...

Getting the word "crap" edited from what I called DX:IW.
Being warned that I could be "suspended" if I continue to call DX:IW for what it is, CRAP.

Yep, that's a t-a-d too controlling, even for a publisher's site. Went from one extreme to the other, where a balance needs to be struck.

Can understand 2 mods for 1,000 posts a day forum to keep an eye on traffic, but if this forum has 200 posts a day...ah...it's an overkill. It feels like a prison, that despite the moderation and the "we can't have political discussions" this place is now rampant with them, but the word "crap" to DX:IW is censored.

Back asswards.

DXeXodus
24th Jul 2008, 07:34
Let's see in couple of hours yesterday alone...

Getting the word "crap" edited from what I called DX:IW.
Being warned that I could be "suspended" if I continue to call DX:IW for what it is, CRAP.

I understand your point and that does seem a bit pedantic. But I think what he was trying to point out is that even though you are entitled to your opinion, you should try not too exclaim with fervent hatred how much you think DXIW blows. Romeo was purely trying to be diplomatic by changing the wording of your post. Don't take it so hard.

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 07:44
Notice no DX forum?

So where do you think all the DX related threads are moved too? Not to a Deus Ex forum, but to general discussions.

"Deus Ex - General Discussion"? That's the equivalent of a "DX forum" except that it is distinguished as general DX discussion from technical discussion, which goes under "Deus Ex - Technical Forum". What's the problem? It's not like it's "Eidos - General Discussion". It's the bloody dedicated DX general discussion. How is this bad?!?

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 07:56
I understand your point and that does seem a bit pedantic. But I think what he was trying to point out is that even though you are entitled to your opinion, you should try not too exclaim with fervent hatred how much you think DXIW blows. Romeo was purely trying to be diplomatic by changing the wording of your post. Don't take it so hard.

I stated it in detail countless times, so it's not just some driveby statement. Anyone can check my profile and see what I think about DX:IW. I will stand by that statement no matter what threat, too.

With games you have to stand up and even get under devs skin sometimes (yeah, the DICE devs told me to shut up once; and in return I diced them -- all is fair in love and war...hehehe), but in the end I have a lot of respect for them because they can dish in what they can dish out.

It's not that all fans are so rabid to literally go after devs on the minute details, it's that sometimes even the devs will admit it they get too bogged down on eveything else, and lose the eye on the big picture (notice my avatar??). That big picture is the original game, that jumped started why anyone is a fan of the game. Sometimes fans have to remind the devs "don't forget".

This is a new team, and new teams often start with the idea "newer is better" and think by being new they can escape the past. Ask Romero and even Specter how the past isn't so easy to be forgotten, despite changing venues.

Fans will always remember, because they were there and refuse to "take it or leave it", they fight for what was, to be now.

"Deus Ex - General Discussion"? That's the equivalent of a "DX forum" except that it is distinguished as general DX discussion from technical discussion, which goes under "Deus Ex - Technical Forum". What's the problem? It's not like it's "Eidos - General Discussion". It's the bloody dedicated DX general discussion. How is this bad?!?

Notice my link above? Notice it's not DX General?

Notice the activity?

Now see the activity even at DX General?

A dedicated forum is needed to have the activity.

So, that guy or gal who bought DX from D2D or managed to get the GOTY disk edition, is going to where to discuss the game?

Not fun posting on a dead forum (and folks wonder how and why this franchise isn't getting fan traction??).

General subforums are to chitchat about everything but the game itself. So by deduction DX on this site is just "everything else". Not a very friendly way to promote a game, indeed.

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 08:21
No, I'm afraid you are wrong. Yes, "General Discussion" on its own would be for general chit-chat. But "Deus Ex - General Discussion" is clearly SPECIFIC chit-chat, DEDICATED to Deus Ex. Else, why would they have the Deus Ex part there? It would be redundant; it would be the same as the "Hitman - General Discussion" or "Tomb Raider - General Discussion" forums. But it's not. Because DX - GD is for general discussion about DX whereas those are for general discussion about Hitman or general discussion about TD. So you have your DX forum. Where you can talk about pretty much anything DX. The only exception being technical stuff, which has its own dedicated technical forum.

I agree that the forum is not particularly active, but that's a completely separate issue. Developers can't create interest in an 8 year old game just out of thin air. If fans exist and want to talk, there is somewhere for them to talk. If no fans exist, that's just too bad. And that IS a dedicated forum. If there's no activity - the problem is with a lack of fans, or a lack of interest in talking on the official Eidos forum. Maybe they prefer Gamespot because it's a central locality for HEAPS of games and will have larger numbers of people. That's just how it is. There's nothing Eidos can do about it. Because your only criticism so far is "no dedicated forum" - and quite simply, there is.

I'm really not sure what you want. Do you honestly believe that if they change the name of the forum from "Deus Ex - General Discussion" to "Deus Ex" it will suddenly be remarkably better?

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 08:33
No, I'm afraid you are wrong. Yes, "General Discussion" on its own would be for general chit-chat. But "Deus Ex - General Discussion" is clearly SPECIFIC chit-chat, DEDICATED to Deus Ex.

Listen, what you think isn't what some guy or gal coming to this site will think.

They'll be looking for a DX forum, since the publisher released it.

They won't find it.

They'll find whatever discussed in the midst of trivia and host of other stuff, not really about DX itself.

Now tell me all the DX related threads that was moved to "General" where does the more trivial threads get placed?

Now you can see what I mean.

And in case you can't see to defend anything Eidos...

July 2008 threads at Eidos DX "General"

Windows Login Screen (Moved from DX3 forum)
Simons in Area 51 (Moved from DX3 forum)
Now I know how Gunther felt
Deus Ex 1 Chalenge!
Malkavian mod for DX1
Um...Question.
Who eles was denied a MIDNIGHT SUN????

July 2008 threads at Gamespot Deus Ex forum

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME mod
Any suggestions for way to play this game through again?
Hey, thanks for that, Paul!
Which do you prefer: Enemy bases or towns?
Shifter v1.8 Beta #5, plus a firm release date for v1.8 (5 pages long)
Vandenberg Gas
texture upgrades?
Stay loyal to UNATCO?
Realistic Difficulty
PS2 version is actually quite popular.
Joypad support?
Bioshock
What would the DS subtitle be?
Is Deus Ex in your Top 3 games ever?
3rd game story ideas?
aqualung or enviro resistance?
best game? pashaw!
Computer Gaming World gave this 70 percent?!
Phone question
Come to think about it...
Games too fast
help plz
Grr...(spoilers)
Deus Ex crashing

[Ending July 12, which meant there were more!]

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 08:44
Only the mentally deficient or complete newbie to the internet wouldn't be able to find it. You go to the main Eidos forum page. You look for "Deus Ex Series". You click on it. Then you click on "Deus Ex - General Discussion". TADA!

It really isn't difficult.

Now tell me all the DX related threads that was moved to "General" where does the more trivial threads get placed?
I can honestly say I have no idea what you are referring to when you say threads got moved and how the DX forum doesn't exist "anymore". For all the time I have been here, the setup existed exactly as it does now.
EDIT: It seems as if you are complaining that DX1 threads in the DX3 forums get moved to the DX1 forums. You do this while complaining about the lack of activity in the DX1 forums and how, allegedly, it's meant to be "off topic". This comes off as a little inconsistent to me.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 09:03
Only the mentally deficient or complete newbie to the internet wouldn't be able to find it. You go to the main Eidos forum page. You look for "Deus Ex Series". You click on it. Then you click on "Deus Ex - General Discussion". TADA!

This is how and why games sink. Fanboism to defend the status quo meets reality -- there is no dedicated DX forum on Eidos own site!

That's a glaring omission. No matter how it's defended otherwise, it doesn't exist!

It's one thing if the game isn't sold anymore, but DX is sold digitally on D2D and on STEAM even now.

EDIT: and no, you still don't understand -- DX has no forum. What is moved into DX General is moved because there's no DX forum. Knock, knock!! Get it??

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 09:10
No, it's moved to the dedicated DX1 forum. Look at all the posts in there, particularly the stickies. Gameplay questions FOR DX1. Modding, FOR DX1.

As I keep reiterating, what difference does it matter if "General Discussion" is tagged onto the end of it? CLEARLY it is the dedicated DX1 forum. Do you honestly believe that removing "General Discussion" from the forum title somehow makes it 'more dedicated' and somehow easier to find and more valuable of a forum to fans? Where do you come up with this rubbish?

DXeXodus
24th Jul 2008, 09:10

I think what Scadvid is trying to say is that the general discussion is for the 'Deus Ex franchise' and not Deus Ex 1 in particular.

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 09:16
I have actually been waiting for her to say that, because I suspected as much at first as well. But by process of elimination, the Deus Ex - General Discussion forum ends up pretty much being dedicated to DX1. There is an IW forum and there is a DX3 forum. This only leaves general franchise topics (of which there are basically none), trivial barely-relevant topics (of which people deem fit to throw into any forum; including this DX3 one, and there are only a few anyway) and the specific DX1 posts. Which really dominate the General Discussion forum. As I mentioned in my previous post - if you look at all the stickies, it's the DX1 forum really. If you split up the entire forum like this...

Deus Ex 1
Deus Ex Invisible War
Deus Ex 3
Deus Ex General
Deus Ex Technical

You will end up with even less activity then there already is. Here she complains about the lack of posts, and at the same time she wants to make it so DX1 - few posts as there already are - is isolated from other relevant posts just becuase these other ones aren't strictly DX1? The result of such a split of forums is clutter, more work for mods (having to determine if a thread is general or more related to a particular game and then moving it appropraitely) and a whole lot less posts per forum.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 09:33
I have actually been waiting for her to say that, because I suspected as much at first as well. But by process of elimination, the Deus Ex - General Discussion forum ends up pretty much being dedicated to DX1.

All that hot air for this deduction?

The point is there isn't a DX forum. 20 posts later...it's the same...there isn't a DX forum.

Tsumaru
24th Jul 2008, 09:42
See, I disagree. I don't think that just because occasionally you put the "general franchise" posts into it, and because it's appended with "- General Discussion" instead of "1" that it ends up being any different. Functionally, it is still a DX1 forum which any half-wit can find in the forum list and post in if they so desire.

Absentia
24th Jul 2008, 10:13
I see what Scadvid is saying, but I think it really doesn't matter in terms of what is implied by it. By not being specific about it being a DX1 forum, Eidos aren't suddenly denying its existence or something. If you were complaining simply because you GENUINELY wanted a more DX1-specific forum to post on (which it pretty much is anyway) then perhaps that's a fair point, however it's been stressed and repeated a stupid amount.
I can't really comment about the mods, because personally I've never seen them as intruding or anything, but I thought those examples you gave were indeed a bit controlling. My argument falls short here as I haven't witnessed anything to suggest that all the mods are being too intrusive.

Going back to your original point: No, nobody can tell you whether you're going to be satisfied with DX3 or not. Nobody is going to make "Deus Ex 3: Scadvid's Version"
I'd LIKE to think the inadequacies of DX:IW had already been made clear to the developers purely because of its initial response (also don't forget, the game didn't even do very well commercially) but still, nobody can tell you indefinitely that they're not going to screw it up.

But we've been told we'll get an update within 2 months, so you can at least try to scrape out some small slither of hope from the bottom of the barrel, instead of continuously trying to latch on to new things to point out the *potential* for them to suck. I've definitely been described as pessimistic or cynical before, but I do have some amount of trust in the development of this game.

Yes, the teaser is hazy and possibly even meaningless, and I think the amount of discussion and pre-assumption that goes on here is crazy, but it does show that there's a lot of loyal fans.

All we can do is wait, and try not to brutally murder anyone out of anxiety (but we can't guarantee anything there...)

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 10:22
If you were complaining simply because you GENUINELY wanted a more DX1-specific forum to post on (which it pretty much is anyway) then perhaps that's a fair point, however it's been stressed and repeated a stupid amount.

It's repeated because folks want to believe in whatever they think, not what's written. My comments were quite explicit, and takes no rocket science to figure what I meant.

If a game is still sold, it needs a forum to itself, as players will use it since they just bought the game.

If the game wasn't sold anymore, yeah, a dedicated forum isn't needed. But that's not the case here -- especially with a pending new title.

lightbringerrr
24th Jul 2008, 18:15
Ah, no. I didn't buy DX because it was a "Game of the Year". I bought DX because I downloaded at Yahoo Games, played a few levels, found the story and music superb, and decided to get the game itself. Upon playing it, I came here (since it's the only Eidos title I ever had), and saw the firestorm that was DX:IW.

From that experience, I'd never want to see DX3 to return to that nightmare. Which is why I'm like a conscience, as DX is too good of a game to ruin to just be another "Game of the Year" fad.

DX is a masterpiece, and transcends labels.

Now the issue is will DX3 be the same?

It won't be is it's yet another "Game of the Year" cookie cutter piece of trash, and gamers want that trash, even.

That is utterly ridiculous and contradictory. Deus Ex didn't win Game Of The Year 2000 because everybody at Game Spy and all the other sites were sitting around pulling bong hits and feeling generous.
It's a V-O-T-E.
By G-A-M-E-R-S.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 18:24
That is utterly ridiculous and contradictory. Deus Ex didn't win Game Of The Year 2000 because everybody at Game Spy and all the other sites were sitting around pulling bong hits and feeling generous.
It's a V-O-T-E.
By G-A-M-E-R-S.

[/B]

Okay, here take this fact: F.E.A.R. was GOTY also. Want to claim it's revolutionary for gaming, and it's SP game was a masterpiece?

Yeah, gamers vote. Sometimes for sheer eye candy, too.

Want all games to go down that path? 10hrs of nothingness, so you can justify paying $2000 every 2 years on a new rig to enjoy it? Or play a game that is a hidden jewel that hits all the right points, yet isn't flashy to get that bandwagon hype?

I'll take the latter any day.

GOTY means squat in the day and age of gaming. What matters is how YOU prefer to play the game, not what OTHERS are telling you WHAT is KEWL to play.

iWait
24th Jul 2008, 18:41
Tsumaru why do you insist on the General Discussions forum being the DX 1 forum?

This is what it says under the General Discussions forum:
"Come here to talk about anything related to the popular Deus Ex series!"

Not "Come here to talk about the first title in the Deus Ex series!"

Tsumaru
25th Jul 2008, 00:53
Functionally, iWait. Obviously if you come here and want to talk about DX3, you go to the DX3 forums. If you want to talk about IW, you go to the IW forums. That only leaves a small number of threads besides DX1 to go in General Discussion. An additional "Deus Ex 1" forum will only isolate activity further to the point where it looks even deader than it does now. I don't know about you guys, but when I looked through the forum list I automatically assumed DX1 posts was for "Deus Ex - General Discussion". I seriously don't believe that newbies will look through that and say "WHERE DO I POST MY DX1 POSTS?!?!?"

My entire point is that just because it's not titled "Deus Ex 1" doesn't mean there is no forum for people to talk about DX1. Scadvid kept reiterating "it needs a forum" - and it has one, which gets few posts other than about DX1. The others being stuff like "would you get a DX tattoo?" or the customised Windows login screen. It's not like it's fully cluttered with off-topic chit-chat as Scadvid was insinuating. In fact, she was at the same time complaining about the lack of activity. I don't believe that changing the name of the forum from "Deus Ex - General Discussion" to "Deus Ex 1" will suddenly promote a whole lot more activity. Or if you split it so you had BOTH of those, you have two forums less active than they are now. And as she herself said, nobody wants to post in a dead forum.

Kevyne-Shandris
25th Jul 2008, 07:11
Functionally, iWait. Obviously if you come here and want to talk about DX3, you go to the DX3 forums. If you want to talk about IW, you go to the IW forums. That only leaves a small number of threads besides DX1 to go in General Discussion.

That logic doesn't compute.

"Obviously if you come here and want to talk about DX3, you go to the DX3 forum" (no forums here).

"If you want to talk about IW, you go to the IW forum." (no forums here).

Which means...

"If you want to talk about DX, you go to the DX forum."

That's logical.

The trend in the publisher sites is to keep forums open for current titles only. But it's a disservice for those who love the original (not everyone would prefer to play a new sequel, especially if it fails to live up to the original...learning this about Silent Hunter IV, too). It just alienates the player base even more, making the negativity of a publisher to go up. Eventually, that negativity reaches a point of no return, and it's lost sales (and in the market today, publishers do have to be more picky -- even with the European market [where game development is concentrating on, trying to capitalize on the post-Soviet market -- notice all the Romanian and Hungarian dev houses?].

Rather see publishers build a fan base on whatever game was successful. If a sequel doesn't pan out, that fan base still has a "home". What is happening now is they go elsewhere, and scattered like the 4 winds, they no longer feel the need to keep interested.

It's a terrible situation. One hand wanting fans to buy the newer content, but on the other, if the newer content sucks, and the older forum is closed, their new product looks bleak to a potential buyer (forum activity will be less, sometimes dead -- like here). It's one of the things hurting gaining interest in DX3 (which should've gotten much more interest than it is, as it's a revamp of a all-time classic game).