PDA

View Full Version : Framerate question

brynolf
18th Jul 2008, 10:12
I'm almost done with my mission. Framerate is down to an avarage of 15 in some areas and 20 in others. I've got a couple of questions around this. Would anybody be able to give some quick answers?

1. What would be a good recommendation as a minimum framerate avarage?
2. My computer is 4 years old. Would the framerate be higher on a newer computer?
3. What is the main cause of low framerate? What effects the framerate the most? Is it the size of the mission (it's quite large), the amount of objects, the resolution of textures, more complicated types of air brushes, a lot of sound, or is it everything put together.

The framerate get higher if I only activate one or two area brushes. The low framerate seems to be pretty much evenly spread out through the mission. I thought framerate depended on what you actually see on screen. But I'm probably wrong. It's still a playable misson on my computer. But I want to take a look at this issue before it goes to beta testers.

Komag
18th Jul 2008, 13:34
I assume you're talking about Thief 2? It's such an old game that basically nothing graphical can cause the frame rate to drop anymore. So it much be CPU stuff, like S&R or something. Are you using Dromed Deluxe special .gam file? I've heard it has loads of stuff that can drag things down unnecessarily

brynolf
18th Jul 2008, 20:26
No, I'm not using Dromed Deluxe. I'm thinking maybe I have to many light particles, torches and candles and stuff like that.

By the way, let me personally thank you for your tutorial. I studied that last november. It is a superb tutorial for a beginner.