PDA

View Full Version : Melchiah's skin problems

Vrykolakas
6th Jan 2014, 13:18
Since Melchiah received the smallest portion of Kain's dark gift, his skin still retained its human frailty and his soul couldn't sustain his flesh, despite being immortal. So he'd have skin his victims every now and then use it to replace his own decayed flesh.

What I don't understand is; why didn't he use the flesh of another vampire instead of human skin?

The opportunity certainly came up when Raziel was killed and the Razielim clam became open hunting season. Their skin was that of a true immortal vampire, and Melchiah wouldn't have to keep skinning his victims.

The reason I'm asking this is because melchiah's situation reminds me of a different vampire who had a similar problem.

In Anne Rice's: 'The vampire chronicles', there was a vampire called Maharet who had no eyes, and used human eyes to regain her vision. The only problem was that the 'human' eyes would eventually wear out and she would have to replace them. But Maharet eventually gained a pair of vampire eyes and no longer had to replace them anymore.

I know that Anne rice's vampires and the legacy of Kain vampire are completely different, but I think it's something worth mentioning.

Monkeythumbz
7th Jan 2014, 16:30
Since Melchiah received the smallest portion of Kain's dark gift, his skin still retained its human frailty and his soul couldn't sustain his flesh, despite being immortal. So he'd have skin his victims every now and then use it to replace his own decayed flesh.

What I don't understand is; why didn't he use the flesh of another vampire instead of human skin?

The opportunity certainly came up when Raziel was killed and the Razielim clam became open hunting season. Their skin was that of a true immortal vampire, and Melchiah wouldn't have to keep skinning his victims.

The reason I'm asking this is because melchiah's situation reminds me of a different vampire who had a similar problem.

In Anne Rice's: 'The vampire chronicles', there was a vampire called Maharet who had no eyes, and used human eyes to regain her vision. The only problem was that the 'human' eyes would eventually wear out and she would have to replace them. But Maharet eventually gained a pair of vampire eyes and no longer had to replace them anymore.

I know that Anne rice's vampires and the legacy of Kain vampire are completely different, but I think it's something worth mentioning.

According to the Soul Reaver manual, Raziel claims that "It is the body that demands the blood sacrifice; our souls gain their advantage from the powers of the underworld."

I think, therefore, that if a Vampires's body was separated from their soul and no longer powered by it, it wouldn't necessarily have any special inhuman qualities, thus making the use of their flesh no different to using a regular Human's.

Kazimira
19th Feb 2014, 04:41
The only problem is the other five brothers letting Mel have new skins for his kids and him. I think it might be a bit much to ask for.

Monkeythumbz
19th Feb 2014, 12:51
Moving thread to General.

CountEyokir
19th Feb 2014, 14:13
According to the Soul Reaver manual, Raziel claims that "It is the body that demands the blood sacrifice; our souls gain their advantage from the powers of the underworld."

I think, therefore, that if a Vampires's body was separated from their soul and no longer powered by it, it wouldn't necessarily have any special inhuman qualities, thus making the use of their flesh no different to using a regular Human's.

Given how the other games elaborated on both the nature of the 'Underworld - or the Spectral Realm' and the origin of the Vampire species- I am not entirely certain how reliable Raziel was as a source for Vampiric natures at that moment in time. Kain might have been spinning him and his brothers a lot of 'aren't we all so great' propaganda.