PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

J.CDenton
13th Jul 2008, 09:16
I was thinking about it: some games actually use the pocast system. It allows developpers to release some diaries about the game making, keeping the players informed about what's going on. Some kind of Making-Of before the release...

So I think that'd be could to release some podcast for DX3. What do you think about it?

jcp28
13th Jul 2008, 15:26
Well, Eidos seems to be tight so far about releasing any info pertinent to this game. However, it seems possible they might do something like this as time goes on.

René
14th Jul 2008, 12:28
I think this is a good idea and it should definitely happen!

gamer0004
14th Jul 2008, 14:34
Hmm. I don't really like the idea. It would give away too much info and reading is ten times better, because ten times faster and there's no trouble to understand what someone's saying.

jordan_a
14th Jul 2008, 23:04
Podcasts like Peter Jackson's production diaries for King Kong?

Freddo
15th Jul 2008, 12:10
Hmm. I don't really like the idea. It would give away too much info and reading is ten times better, because ten times faster and there's no trouble to understand what someone's saying.
I totally agree with that. I dislike podcasts very much.

jcp28
15th Jul 2008, 15:39

Actually, I'm like you in that regard. I would rather read something than hear somebody go on about something for half-an hour. It might be okay as long the amount of info released was controlled, but this isn't something that's necessary be any means.

J.CDenton
15th Jul 2008, 16:06
I think this is a good idea and it should definitely happen!

At least somebody likes the idea. :D

But I agree with the amount of information, let's not reveal too much.

imported_van_HellSing
15th Jul 2008, 16:32
Podcasts only make sense for music discussion and the like, where the sound is actually important.

I'd rather get a solid bulk of text than have to download some 100 megs (especially on my gsm bandwidth) of people blabbering about for half an hour, where I can't even find the relevant bits easily.

Tracer Tong
16th Jul 2008, 19:43
I for one really like what Lionhead is doing for Fable 2 (Check it out!)

Tsumaru
17th Jul 2008, 00:23
I am relatively indifferent either way. Personally I won't listen to a podcast, just because I'm not good at sitting down and just listening. I get distracted, lose focus, and have to rewind ever 10 minutes to see what I missed for the past 9.

But I also realise why podcasts are useful. Many people express themselves better vocally, and for the developer who may be doing the podcast, it is much easier for them both in terms of getting the message across through speech as opposed to words, and also time constraints - it generally takes a lot longer to write up a full report in text. And of course, it's usually meant to be more convenient for the people who want to download it; because podcasts are typically automatically downloaded when new material comes out. So you don't have to keep checking back at the homepage or whatnot.

To support both preferences, however, it wouldn't be too difficult if someone wrote up a transcript of the podcast after it took place (depending on the length).

All comments on the amount of information given is, in my mind, irrelevant to whether or not podcasts are good or bad. You can get just as much information given away in text developer's diaries and whatnot. That's a separate issue, really. But on the topic of it, I'm hardly scared of getting too much information. They're not going to ruin anything game-based, so why should I care if they tell me what I can look forward to? If the game looks like utter rubbish, I won't buy it when it comes out straight away - I'll wait for a sale. I want that opportunity. Hiding all the information doesn't benefit me in any way.

jcp28
17th Jul 2008, 03:36
IAll comments on the amount of information given is, in my mind, irrelevant to whether or not podcasts are good or bad. You can get just as much information given away in text developer's diaries and whatnot. That's a separate issue, really. But on the topic of it, I'm hardly scared of getting too much information. They're not going to ruin anything game-based, so why should I care if they tell me what I can look forward to? If the game looks like utter rubbish, I won't buy it when it comes out straight away - I'll wait for a sale. I want that opportunity. Hiding all the information doesn't benefit me in any way.

You are right here. I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't get much beyond maybe the most minimal story details, gameplay sequences and whatnot. As long as they don't go into much detail though, I could probably follow along no problem.

Kill Switch
17th Jul 2008, 03:53
I would really like some concept art to drool over. :lmao: