PDA

View Full Version : DX 3 buildings

Blade_hunter
10th Jul 2008, 00:08
This post is to talk about the kind of buildings locations (like a club, hotel, laboratory, etc ...)

We can propose everything even crazy ideas, that could be fun

I want to propose some buildings / places, that could be interesting

-A bank
-Houses
-A shop

I think we should infiltrate all of them if we want ...

jcp28
10th Jul 2008, 02:41
Yeah, I remember there were plenty of places to break into in Paris in DX1.:D

We could have a more extensive shopping mall. Perhaps a big office complex, a public waste treatment plant. An ocean liner. A conveinence store. A synogogue or a mosque(refined with modern security, of course) A university campus.

Okay, some of those probably suck or are just too silly. But they are good for starters. Besides, I have to go . seeyas.

HouseOfPain
10th Jul 2008, 03:59
Tall skyscrapers kty =)

Jerion
10th Jul 2008, 04:10
how about one of these:

http://www.scificool.com/images/2008/04/stargate-universe-tv-series.jpg

I know its totally the wrong universe, but it'd still be really darn cool.

DXeXodus
10th Jul 2008, 04:46
I really loved the small extra areas in Deus ex. Paris was amazing in that you could break into all sorts of places. We definitely need more of that freedom and flexibility.

There should be the following kinds of areas open for exploration:

- Apartments
- Convenience stores
- Gas stations (Level after vandenberg rocked)
- Night clubs
- Subways
- Informal settlements (Under bridges, etc)
- Churches, etc
- Harbor, boat houses, docks
- Office blocks

There are so many. I love thinking about stuff like this and the amazing level of immersion they can add to a game if incorporated correctly.

SemiAnonymous
10th Jul 2008, 04:52
Grocery Store
Lots of Restaurants, they could be used for meeting people
Peoples houses
Various stores, like the electronic store in Paris
A large office building

Blade_hunter
10th Jul 2008, 09:31
Yeah in DX series we have a large kind of places.

- Market places
- Hospitals
- Subways
- Factories

I have a question, but it's perhaps not very adapted for a game like DX, Do you like to see in the game some rural places, an maybe see in these kind of locations, bases, camps, etc where some missions can be made ?

jcp28
10th Jul 2008, 15:51
Probably not, but I wouldn't mind some kind of forested wide-open area around a base. There could still be plenty of patrols and modern security devices. I could see a level like this if we were to go to the Northwest during the height of the NSF conflict. Or else, we might go to similar areas of
Eastern Europe. The trouble is there the terrain is not as mountainous unless we talk about the Yugoslavia area. I suggest a sloping forest because a plain base camp where we shoot up some people sounds a bit too boring for me. I've never played a game like that, of which I feel glad unless there's some kind of futuristic base nearby, which I doubt would work here.

As for other settings, I think we can keep factories and subways. They just fit well with the DX setting. Marketplaces would be cool, but I don't really see a reason for them to be much more extensive than Wan Chai in DX 1. And I love the sound of more harbor areas.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jul 2008, 18:18
Love everybody's ideas so far. :)

I'm not really fussy about what sort of buildings appear in the game myself, so long as they look and feel good.

I guess the type of buildings will depend upon the area and missions that they have in mind. Happy to leave it all in their capable hands. :cool:

Blade_hunter
10th Jul 2008, 18:43
Ok, I just think about it because with cities DX series makes a large kind of buildings, sites, and locations, and perhaps adds some new will be good... I don't know

In DX I loved the various locations, even if some guy's doesn't like some levels, in games sin and blood 2 the cities are well made even if those games was old but DX make a great job, and expand the level size since those games.

jordan_a
12th Jul 2008, 15:17
I really loved the small extra areas in Deus ex. Paris was amazing in that you could break into all sorts of places. We definitely need more of that freedom and flexibility.
I think they'll go further on DX3. The current consoles are powerful enough to offer great areas, I would not worry about that.

Love the ideas so far.

El_Bel
12th Jul 2008, 16:15
Large Hadron Collider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

Ok.. Screw Area 51. This is the ****!!!

Concerns have been raised regarding the safety of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) on the grounds that high-energy particle collisions performed in the LHC might produce dangerous phenomena, including micro black holes, strangelets, vacuum bubbles and magnetic monopoles.

Imagine the experiments mj12 could do in there!!!

ps: Oh ****, we cant say **** in here? ****.. :p

jcp28
12th Jul 2008, 18:32
^

Yes, that has been brought up before. I've seen pictures. It would absolutely rock to have the CERN facility in the game.

mad_red
13th Jul 2008, 02:51
- Canals. The HK Canals kicked ass. The emptiness was excellent, but this time maybe it could feature a better mix of deserted areas and busy areas.

- Lots of skybridges. I like skybridges. Like in Tonochi Road and in the Paris Cathedral. Or like the Half-Life 2 bridge. And probably in some Star Wars game (gotta play those JK games again).

- A big building with a huge Atrium, kinda like the generator in NY, or the Triers Cathedral, but big big big.

- Anywhere the common folk gather.

- An underground bunker complex, where sometimes the only way to get to another area is via the doubly guarded surface. Inspired by the train level in Iron Storm.

- A sniper level (but this time it's augs vs high-tech security!)

- A sokoban building (just kidding).

- More rooftops like in NY. European rooftops are very suitable.

MUST HAVE:

- A secret Karaoke bar where all the devs plus a drunk Russian greasel would come and sing their favorite tunes.

HouseOfPain
13th Jul 2008, 03:57
Large Hadron Collider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

Ok.. Screw Area 51. This is the ****!!!

Concerns have been raised regarding the safety of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) on the grounds that high-energy particle collisions performed in the LHC might produce dangerous phenomena, including micro black holes, strangelets, vacuum bubbles and magnetic monopoles.

Imagine the experiments mj12 could do in there!!!

ps: Oh ****, we cant say **** in here? ****.. :p

thing is.. they cant ;)

EDIT: They can create Micro black holes, but they dissipate after a few milliseconds. no danger involved, it would be a good place to go if these things were true.

Jerion
13th Jul 2008, 05:34
How about the Cheyenne Mountain Complex? It'd be a hell of a place to infiltrate!

(Findind the SGC at the bottom is just a bonus)

HouseOfPain
13th Jul 2008, 06:35
How about Chernobyl?

Gotta love a nuclear ghost town!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p51/twisting_truth/Chernobyl3Behal.jpg

EDIT: AH! I am just brainstorming the possibilities of going to Chernobyl! There are so many cool ideas that come to mind, maybe the government staged the explosions in the core to make a secret operation go down in Chernobyl, perhaps they could make it their "secret back yard" of trade or something. They could make something along the COD line where there are guards posted around, but of course they would be Deus Ex 3 baddies :D

It would defiantly be cool, I mean just look at it, its a ****in radiated ghost town; enough said!

gamer0004
13th Jul 2008, 09:26
How about something like: The Kowloon Walled City, Kolmanskop or Kadykchan (http://weburbanist.com/2008/07/06/20-abandoned-cities-and-towns/), or San Zhi (really cool) or Yashima (http://listverse.com/travel/top-10-interesting-abandoned-places).

El_Bel
13th Jul 2008, 13:16
thing is.. they cant ;)

EDIT: They can create Micro black holes, but they dissipate after a few milliseconds. no danger involved, it would be a good place to go if these things were true.

I know, but do you think MJ12 would leave it alone? Every new knowledge turns to a weapon. They could try to sustain a mini black hole. They might do a zillion things. Whatever fits the plot! Take a look at this ****.

A strangelet or "strange nugget" is a theorised object consisting of a bound state of roughly equal numbers of up, down, and strange quarks. The size could be anything from a few femtometers across (with the mass of a light nucleus) to something much larger. Once the size becomes macroscopic (on the order of meters across), such an object is usually called a quark star or "strange star" rather than a strangelet. An equivalent description is that a strangelet is a small fragment of strange matter. The term "strangelet" originates with E. Farhi and R. Jaffe.[1] Strangelets have been suggested as a dark matter candidate.
If the strange matter hypothesis is correct and a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

I mean come on!! There are so many plots i could create for the place. Its a gold mine!! It doesnt have to be realistic. It must be believable!! Thats the trick!!

HouseOfPain
13th Jul 2008, 18:51
You mean there could be some plot on the Anti-matter meets Matter bomb?

You know how big that explosion would be if Anti-Matter and Matter collided?

Too big for Mj12, they would probably obliterate themselves in the process.

J.CDenton
13th Jul 2008, 20:40
-Subway: they have a huge S.F potential just because of the way their stations are designed.

-Sewers : full of mutants. Could add also some "human"communities.

-Gas Station: for a better effect outside a city, isolated for example in a highway. With a tiny restaurant and T.V inside. So that you could plug some informations. Also could be an abandonned place where you could find some stuff.

-Tunnels: what could be interresting would be to make a full network of tunnels for example in mountains.

-Night Clubs and Underground Cultural Places: To hear some music (good or bad), know some people or not and grab some informations. Also it'd be cool ton implement some places where counter-culture is dominant. Whatever is the movement, those place could be set in special locations not easily reachables...

-Clinics: Place where there could have illegal surgery practice. Like the black clinics from biopunk novels but this time for cyberpunk.

-Convenience stores and supermarkets: great place to meet peoples again, buy stuff, explore and have some gun (a good place for mini-games also).

-"Homeless towns": just immagine homeless peoples have run off the city to a place where they started to build their own "town". It could be on surface or underground.

-Suburbia: underground part of the city where dark and gloomy stuff happens.

-Corporations: sometimes when you have to fight some evil, you must study it...

-Police stations: to grab some ammo and informations.

jcp28
14th Jul 2008, 00:05
Many of those locations were in DX 1 and IW to some extent. But they could be even better here if fleshed out enough. But I try not to bring out locations that have been in the previous DX games for reasons being that some of them will likely be in DX 3 anyway. Like sewers and subways for instance. That fits with this world. And I also like gas stations, a big corporate office, and nightclubs.

The idea of a supermarket, however, doesn't fit so well with the DX universe. The best I can see is that it would be a small area that could be the location of an alternate route to somewhere else(like the sewers for instance) Unless it happened to be in an area of enemy activity.... then maybe we see more potential.

El_Bel
14th Jul 2008, 00:46
You mean there could be some plot on the Anti-matter meets Matter bomb?

You know how big that explosion would be if Anti-Matter and Matter collided?

Too big for Mj12, they would probably obliterate themselves in the process.

MJ12 had access to nuclear missiles, no? And we had an antimatter reactor at area 51..

Matter and Anti-Matter doesn't create a big explosion. You would need half kilograms of antimatter to produce a wield of a thermonuclear bomb.
"to produce 1 gram of antimatter, CERN would need to spend 100 quadrillion dollars and run the antimatter factory for 100 billion years... -wikipedia"

Well MJ12 could have many uses for all those things in there. Not just weapons of mass destruction..

Clinics: Place where there could have illegal surgery practice. Like the black clinics from biopunk novels but this time for cyberpunk.

I like this idea. I used them on my pnp Deus ex rpg!! (one of the players wanted augmentations, so a gave ghim the option to become a mech.. Of course his social life became that much harder..

Night Clubs and Underground Cultural Places: To hear some music (good or bad), know some people or not and grab some informations. Also it'd be cool ton implement some places where counter-culture is dominant. Whatever is the movement, those place could be set in special locations not easily reachables...

And this one! I would love to see a four-twenty club in Deus ex.. :p

Freddo
14th Jul 2008, 00:54
I don't really want ghost towns and that sort of thing. While it might be fitting for some non-populated places in the Deus Ex world, it's not really what I want a cyberpunk game to focus on. There are post-apocalyptic games for that (STALKER, Fallout and so on).

Deus Ex should be in high-tech secret labs (underground VersaLife), military complexes (Area 51), public areas with lots of non-violent NPCs (Hong Kong), tall skyscrapers (maggie chow's apartment) and sewers for the bottom/outcasts of mankind & secret passages (ooooh).

Sure, there's an abandoned gas station in Deus Ex, and that's fine, but that's about as far I want it to go.

CarloGervasi
18th Jul 2008, 18:06
Night clubs and bars work best.