PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Vision of Deus Ex 3

Kai0o0
8th Jul 2008, 21:46
My vision is sort of a combonation of the first two. From the first one i liked the skill system, which was, sadly, not in the second one. The skill part was a big thing in that. Another thing is ammo. I guess its neat to have the same amount of ammo for every gun.. but it's not realistic, nor is it challenging. But from the second one i did like the wider variety of choices compared to the first one. In the first on there were only three endings (correct me if im wrong) and in the second one there were more than three. Inventory. The first deus ex's inventory system was waaay better than in the second one, adn it teaches you to become more strategic and creative. Im not sure what else i would like from either one, and i dont believe i have many ideas for the third one that werent a part of the first two, except for maybe being able to control people, sort of like in ghost recon.. but that might not be as good an idea.

anyways, whats your perfect vision of DX3?

HouseOfPain
8th Jul 2008, 22:04
Deus ex 1 but better :D

Ok seriously though, Deus Ex 1 with better graphics, better voice acting for foreign characters, and more conspiracy!

Absentia
8th Jul 2008, 22:05
Welcome to the forums :)
I'd definitely advise checking the 'important discussion threads' if you haven't already, seeing most of the gameplay elements discussion is there. The general idea that a lot of people have is that DX2 was a terrible mistake, but you'll find some people (me included) that think otherwise. Universal Ammo was bull**** though imo, and so was the 2nd game's inventory system.

[edit: I keep forgetting about the wordfilter =P]

El_Bel
8th Jul 2008, 22:16
maybe if there was an ammo converter, so if you have 2000 clips of ammo for the assault gun, but you use only mini crossbow you could turn the unused bullets in to something useful... But you will always loose something, say 50% of the value of the bullet.. So its just a desperate movement if you are in need of ammo.. Uhm, but i dont think that should make it to Deus Ex 3. Dont kill me!!!

Blade_hunter
8th Jul 2008, 22:23
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76481

This is a part of the post you maybe wanted to create about DX 3

For the useless ammo I have made a proposal in the inventory thread, perhaps someone can propose better, but for me I think it's the solution, if someone wants to give them a reply ...

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76742

GruntOwner
8th Jul 2008, 22:29
maybe if there was an ammo converter, so if you have 2000 clips of ammo for the assault gun, but you use only mini crossbow you could turn the unused bullets in to something useful... But you will always loose something, say 50% of the value of the bullet.. So its just a desperate movement if you are in need of ammo.. Uhm, but i dont think that should make it to Deus Ex 3. Dont kill me!!!

You mean like some sort of hyrodriam cube (I have no idea in the slightest if that's the correct spelling but for anyone who thinks about D3 they can correct it if they like).

My perfect version would be Deus Ex but with an even wider global outlook, more conspiracy, reasonable graphics with large levels, though relatively featureless so my PC can handle it, and no "Denton" in the protagonist's name. Give me a fresh outlook on something I already know, and for the love of god don't spoonfeed me. None of this business cartel crap (happens all the time IRL), have people who actually need reason to trust me, none of this "Hi, join the illuminati, oh btw We're the only 2 members of the illuminati and here we are bowing to you", some actual consistency (to quote Everett: "We never had commandos and troops like MJ12" and to quote IW "ths r a komandolol, he r self destruct, plz dirct me 2 teh serious sam auditions") and generally be nothing like IW. Except for a constant light source, that was OK from IW. The rest was craptasticular.

Blade_hunter
11th Jul 2008, 21:11
For me the perfect vision of DX 3 is a rich universe, a rich universe because I want a game that allows us to use many items, useless and useful, a game that allow many players to play it because our character have skills, but the gamers too.

I want great areas / maps
The highest level of interactivity, with items, NPCs, and many things that can be in DX world.
I want a lot of items, transportable and not transportable
I want various NPCs, bots, mutants, animals and many sorts of beings.
I want an AI that could make some actions like do some things "a sort of life inside the game"
A true power with the story, some acts can change the world or a part of it, we can go in other levels if our desired mission needs it; the endings will be a sort of consequences of our acts.
I want to create some items with existing things in the game, (like craft items, junk weapons, etc...)
I want a game with a rich content and an easy access to it.
I want to see some clans that display clearly their intentions, and others that can mask them (conspiracy ?).
I want to see great physics, and an interaction with the decorations, and the liquids, the most difficult thing in a game
I want some true balance between each element from the game
I want to see some gameplay customization, that allow replayability, challenge, and more suitable things for many gamers.

I think I say my global think, but perhaps many players never wants this

Freddo
14th Jul 2008, 00:42
I want a DX1 with prettier graphics, clever AI, cool physics, interesting locations and decent story.

The most important thing for me is the locations/levels. I nice level design with a certain epicness to them, and a good mix of secret underground bases and public locations with lots of NPCs (like Hong Kong).

Bad levels ruins the entire mood for a game, while good levels are royally awesome. I really like levels that feels "large". For example, Maggie Chow's apartment. It's possible to be in her living room, looking out and see people walking down the street. And that's something I really enjoy in games, watching NPCs living their own life from a far away distance. It gives a nice realistic feel to the games. That's large. Any other game (except original DX and the first two Thief games) would have a loading screen in the elevator and empty streets if one was up in the apartment.

If they nail the levels, I won't care if the story is shoddy. Well, not much anyway.

Cap
14th Jul 2008, 06:03
In the first on there were only three endings (correct me if im wrong)

Actually, there's one more.. its called the secret dance party ending.. though you need to cheat to see it (for real):thumbsup:

gamer0004
14th Jul 2008, 14:16
Actually, there's one more.. its called the secret dance party ending.. though you need to cheat to see it (for real):thumbsup:

Actually, there are two more:
You've got the apostlecorp ending, the WTO ending, the OMAR ending, the Templars ending and the secret ending.
And BTW, you don't have to cheat for it. Just grab the UNATCO flag at the entrance, drop it into Manderley's bathroom and flush.

Oym
14th Jul 2008, 16:12
Actually , what I'm going to say might sounds ridiculous for some , but I would be the happiest man ever if Deus Ex 3 matched Deus Ex 1 in all perspectives , and that's all ..

It means that graphics can be as good / bad as the first one , I don't care , I just want to have this feeling again , like I'm a playing a " real " deus ex ..

Graphics must NOT replace what made Deus Ex 1 so awesome ..

Freddo
14th Jul 2008, 20:08
Actually, there are two more:
You've got the apostlecorp ending, the WTO ending, the OMAR ending, the Templars ending and the secret ending.
And BTW, you don't have to cheat for it. Just grab the UNATCO flag at the entrance, drop it into Manderley's bathroom and flush.
You're talking about DX:IW while the others talk about DX.

gamer0004
15th Jul 2008, 15:16
You're talking about DX:IW while the others talk about DX.

Whoops. My mistake. Ignore me.

Kai0o0
15th Jul 2008, 16:28

Thats a pretty good idea, but unrealistic. As you can see, im more focused on reality than difficulty. :D and im not going to kill you

Kai0o0
15th Jul 2008, 16:30
For me the perfect vision of DX 3 is a rich universe, a rich universe because I want a game that allows us to use many items, useless and useful, a game that allow many players to play it because our character have skills, but the gamers too.

I want great areas / maps
The highest level of interactivity, with items, NPCs, and many things that can be in DX world.
I want a lot of items, transportable and not transportable
I want various NPCs, bots, mutants, animals and many sorts of beings.
I want an AI that could make some actions like do some things "a sort of life inside the game"
A true power with the story, some acts can change the world or a part of it, we can go in other levels if our desired mission needs it; the endings will be a sort of consequences of our acts.
I want to create some items with existing things in the game, (like craft items, junk weapons, etc...)
I want a game with a rich content and an easy access to it.
I want to see some clans that display clearly their intentions, and others that can mask them (conspiracy ?).
I want to see great physics, and an interaction with the decorations, and the liquids, the most difficult thing in a game
I want some true balance between each element from the game
I want to see some gameplay customization, that allow replayability, challenge, and more suitable things for many gamers.

I think I say my global think, but perhaps many players never wants this

thats actually a perfect vision, better than mine!

Kai0o0
15th Jul 2008, 16:33
I want a DX1 with prettier graphics, clever AI, cool physics, interesting locations and decent story.

The most important thing for me is the locations/levels. I nice level design with a certain epicness to them, and a good mix of secret underground bases and public locations with lots of NPCs (like Hong Kong).

Bad levels ruins the entire mood for a game, while good levels are royally awesome. I really like levels that feels "large". For example, Maggie Chow's apartment. It's possible to be in her living room, looking out and see people walking down the street. And that's something I really enjoy in games, watching NPCs living their own life from a far away distance. It gives a nice realistic feel to the games. That's large. Any other game (except original DX and the first two Thief games) would have a loading screen in the elevator and empty streets if one was up in the apartment.

If they nail the levels, I won't care if the story is shoddy. Well, not much anyway.

mm i love large stages too

Kai0o0
15th Jul 2008, 16:34
Deus ex 1 but better :D

Ok seriously though, Deus Ex 1 with better graphics, better voice acting for foreign characters, and more conspiracy!

yea. dx1 was my favorite of the two

Kai0o0
15th Jul 2008, 16:40
Actually , what I'm going to say might sounds ridiculous for some , but I would be the happiest man ever if Deus Ex 3 matched Deus Ex 1 in all perspectives , and that's all ..

It means that graphics can be as good / bad as the first one , I don't care , I just want to have this feeling again , like I'm a playing a " real " deus ex ..

mm i totally get that. graphics suck out the real fun in games these days.. the bunch o whippersnappers

Oym
15th Jul 2008, 17:25
I agree , and that's why I'm afraid that Deus Ex 3 tends to lack these features . Video games , nowadays usually choose the graphic path and neglect more or less the storyline ..

Just check out games like Far Cry .. It's beautiful , for sure .. But hell , where is the storyline , the originality ?

Target
16th Jul 2008, 18:54

I'm inclined to agree with you, although I do so knowing that it would be nearly impossible to make a modern game without vastly superior graphics to the original. :)

As much as I want DX3 to remain faithful to Deus Ex, I'm also hoping like crazy that they don't keep any of the bad design decisions from Invisible War - universal ammo, overwriteable augs ('biomods'), NO SKILLS!, nonexistent stealth gameplay, auto-initiating conversations with someone I'm trying to stealth kill, one-dimensional NPCs, complete inability to stack boxes for climbing purposes, no gibs, almost total lack of gas grenades, crazy and bizarre physics, and the general dumbing down and lack of depth, both in the game and in the interface, that comes from designing a game first and foremost for a console, with the PC version as an afterthought.

There are a million things I'd love to see improved from the original Deus Ex as well, including NPC interactivity and AI, graphics of course, and more recognition of having knocked someone out vs having slaughtered them.
I'd also like no more of having bullets, money, and other items just lying around on the ground. If I need money I should be able to sell guns and other items I find like the zyme in Deus Ex - that was great but should be applicable to more items, with more buyers/sellers, maybe have a shop or two, or perhaps some rough-looking dude in an overcoat selling stuff from the boot of his car.

If someone offers to sell me something, and I kill them, the body should contain the items they were trying to sell.
If this would make items too easy to obtain, have the seller be behind a bulletproof barrier.

Emergent gameplay was so much fun, as were the numerous possible courses in each mission. I must have played the demo mission more than two hundred times, and it's still fun.

Also I hope more attention will be given to the multiplayer - even in its current very rough form it's pretty entertaining, and if it were more than just an afterthought it could be quite extraordinary, even if most people aren't prepared to take the hour or so required to learn how to strategise with skills and augs.

But, having said all that, if it comes down to improving one thing at the expense of dumbing down another, PLEASE don't do it!

Oym
16th Jul 2008, 19:54
All I meant in my post was in fact that I'd prefer having back the old deus ex' bases than playing again IW or taste something worse than IW :eek:

I do know that developpers can't make it , they need to change things cause tools and technologies aren't the same obviously , and things are different from other sides indeed ..

All I want is to see appearing again the bases of DX1 which made it so good :p

The hell with IW :cool:

Blade_hunter
16th Jul 2008, 21:06
For me DX IW have only little improvements of the old DX system (Alt fire, some biomods, some items: baton fire, extinguisher...)
The clan system even if in this game it's a bit useless, the physics and the graphics, some interesting mods.
some mods can be converted as ammo in a DX 1 system
A big part of DX 2 throw the best things of the old DX (skills, RPG inventory, and more)

DX 1 was the best of the two games, yes but it needs some improvements on its game mechanics (some of my mentioned DX 2 features aren't bad even if the clan system must be improved to be enjoyable)

I think some SS2 features are welcome (physical skills, research for unknown items, ammo management, vending machines, some hackable items, some powers)

Some ideas from other games and newer are good to improve the DX experience even the mods:
Shifter, Hardcore DX, Revision, and many others

Tsumaru
17th Jul 2008, 00:31
You mean like some sort of hyrodriam cube (I have no idea in the slightest if that's the correct spelling but for anyone who thinks about D3 they can correct it if they like).

You have quite a treasure there in that Horadric Cube.

CarloGervasi
18th Jul 2008, 16:46
The gameplay of Deus Ex 1 mixed with a very limited selection of features from Invisible War that I felt were good decisions, enhanced with modern day AI and physics. Even today, ugly and technologically backwards as it is, Deus Ex is one of the best and most immersive RPGs out there. That says a lot. Not a whole lot in the game needs to be changed.

Jaden
22nd Aug 2008, 10:50
One of the reason that i couldn't stand deus ex 2, other than the very short game, no compelling characters (didn't care what happened to them), bad ending (nothing you did earlier mattered), was that it was only a shooting game, with albeitly "special powers". Not to mention the abnormally small console levels.

This is not what I had thought i would buy, when i bought it right after release. And since i never play shooting games (too easy, too short) i was very disappointed.

So if they don't change these things I will not buy it. (They would probably earn more money though :mad2: )

The vision I want is:

Skill systems: makes people explore everything they can find to a little more exp.

+ more skills
+ let the agent be more talented in the start... more skill points to disperse (so one isn't a total weakling in the start).

Deus Ex 1 health system

mantling (Deus ex 2)

Augmentations that are placed intelligently (actually believable)... please not more drones in the arms of a agent. Something a like what I did in the thread Design-an-aug.

Please no universal ammo (No reason to Explain)

Good believable story, People you care about, small choises that matter (Smuggler, Renton ext.)

Have a homebase, that you return to, atleast some of the game.

Visit same place at different times in the game (So one can see the changes that has happened).

More custumal weapons (Weaponmods)

Things about the world that is not game related.
Always liked this, helps a damn much with immersion.

Large area's, short loading, different ways to complete missions. Different ways to get around obstacles (sometimes depending on augmentation)

Please Perminent Augmentations (The game should be about choises)

Lots of small hiddin things that you won't find the first, second.... playthrough.

Just my 2 cents

Gizmostuff
22nd Aug 2008, 11:22

I'm with you on this one bro...I could care less about graphics...

foxberg
22nd Aug 2008, 15:44
But the graphics are very important too!

I definitely want to see skills from DX1. I do not like the idea of a universal ammo. It takes the excitement of otherwise finding a rare type for some tricky weapon. Mantling from DX IW is a must. Larger maps would be great. I want to be able to interact with any object in the world. I want to be able to open/break some crates. And more secrets!!! Items, areas and levels (and without a designation - "you found a secret area"). These secrets should not be a necessity for the main game play but should be able to turn the game into a slightly different direction or push it towards a different route. I would also like to be able to drive something if the situation provides. Don't make it mandatory - just an extra option. And I want to see a stealth system like the one in Splinter Cell series together with moves.

But I think I want too much...