PDA

View Full Version : Should i purchase Angel of Darkness?

Mr Mykul
7th Jul 2008, 12:28
I've heard good and bad stuff.
I can't decide whether to get it or not :scratch:
Any help in deciding would be appreciated.

LaraCroftRox
7th Jul 2008, 13:50
Okay, I'll way it up for you:

Positive:
Graphics are a lot better than previous
Great storyline
Lara has some really good qoutes :rasp:
Good development of characters
Best music of the series

Negative:
Kurtis Trent
No actual Tomb Raiding
A LOT of glitches and bugs
Lara has gone a bit dark

Hope this helps! ;)

TombRaiderPrincess
7th Jul 2008, 14:13
You should buy it if you don't mind watching pathetic losers blunder around Lara. Ignore that and the glitches and you should totally buy it!:rolleyes:

Dukem
7th Jul 2008, 14:33
It has some of the greatest gameplay of any of the TR games, in my opinion. Definitely worth a chance.

I have no idea why people moaned so much about glitches. I never had one. :confused:

little miss Ju
7th Jul 2008, 14:39
Okay, I'll way it up for you:

Positive:
Graphics are a lot better than previous
Great storyline
Lara has some really good qoutes :rasp:
Good development of characters
Best music of the series

Negative:
Kurtis Trent
No actual Tomb Raiding
A LOT of glitches and bugs
Lara has gone a bit dark

Hope this helps! ;)

OK, I agree it had less tomb raiding than the previous games but you cannot say it had none. It could have been laid out better as all the tombs were sort of clumped into the middle but you definately cant say there was "no actual tomb raiding". Most of the places you explore had a tomby atmosphere anyway. You should totally buy AOD in my opinion its one of the best games in the serious. The controls are atrosious but the game itself its great. Imagine how it would have turned out if they had finished it. And for the benifit of Dukem, it was only PC players who really experienced bugs so if you're gonna buy AOD make sure its not the computer version. ;)

IvanaKC
7th Jul 2008, 14:45

Maybe you should look at walkthrough on youtube, it helps to me to decide should i buy some game (I decided to not buy AOD, I don't know about you)

GoranV
7th Jul 2008, 15:00
I was so excited about Tomb Raider making a transition to PS2. The game previews and the images we saw looked nice. However, when it came out, the first thing I noticed were the strange controls and unrealistic moves. At that moment the new TR game was not special anymore, it felt like every other video game out there.

The graphics were good, the moves were bad, short levels, a lot of loading, I mean A LOT of loading for this game, the joy of playing would disappear. There were too many bugs and glitches. It felt like being an archaeologist had nothing to do with her. There is no Tomb Raider feel to it. I felt as if this game was just a testing field for other TR games to come. It seems so unfinished and quickly done. I played it, beat it when it came out, and honestly I have not played the game since, nor do I have the desire to. After completing a few levels in TR AOD I had a desire to play the older TR games, and I'd play Tomb Raider 2. It was such a relief, feeling as I were released from the chains.

I am a HUGE fan, and this game is the biggest disappointment. My brother is not a fan of the game, but when he saw me play it he said, "I don't think they'll make another one". I honestly didn't think they would make another TR game after this one. They even changed Lara's image, making her look more like Angelina Jolie.

The game stopped being interesting after TR4. TR3 was great, TR4 had some very interesting levels, and it was hard, which I like. TR5 - I tend to forget what that game is about. Legends was good, horrible controls though.

I really hope THAT THEY WILL GET RID OF THE "TOMB RAIDER" - typeface that was used in the TR movies and the games later on. Ah, hardcore fans should know that TR movies were disastrous. It sprinkled Lara with some "Hollywood", but in a bad way. Whoever says that Angelina did a great job is an idiot. Look what happened to TRAOD. Angelina should have sued, they made Lara look a lot like her. How CHEAP!

For those who don't have TRAOD, don't bother getting it, it will ruin your good memories you've had in the previous games. It's definitely a disgrace to TR 2, one of the best TR games ever.

Cheers.

P.S. - I am not a game designer, but I am in advertising and graphic design (print), and when I see something great out there, it just feels right. These game designers do an amazing job, and I have so much respect for them. However, after the game is completed, the art director should notice any mistakes made in the game, and THEY SHOULD BE CORRECTED. I mean we don't want Lara running into an invisible wall! I even saw this in TR Legend. Why not fix it? I cant' believe they would put these mistakes on the market! It seems as if too many mistakes have been ignored in TRAOD, and the audience does notice, even those who don't pay attention to every possible detail. If it's obvious it's BAD, and if it is obvious to the game players, how was it hidden to the art director, or should I ask why was it ignored? I will never understand this.

Dukem
7th Jul 2008, 15:13
little miss, I do play on the PC. :D

GoranV
7th Jul 2008, 15:16

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was so excited about Tomb Raider making a transition to PS2. The game previews and the images we saw looked nice. However, when it came out, the first thing I noticed were the strange controls and unrealistic moves. At that moment the new TR game was not special anymore, it felt like every other video game out there.

The graphics were good, the moves were bad, short levels, a lot of loading, I mean A LOT of loading for this game, the joy of playing would disappear. There were too many bugs and glitches. It felt like being an archaeologist had nothing to do with her. There is no Tomb Raider feel to it. I felt as if this game was just a testing field for other TR games to come. It seems so unfinished and quickly done. I played it, beat it when it came out, and honestly I have not played the game since, nor do I have the desire to. After completing a few levels in TR AOD I had a desire to play the older TR games, and I'd play Tomb Raider 2. It was such a relief, feeling as I were released from the chains.

I am a HUGE fan, and this game is the biggest disappointment. My brother is not a fan of the game, but when he saw me play it he said, "I don't think they'll make another one". I honestly didn't think they would make another TR game after this one. They even changed Lara's image, making her look more like Angelina Jolie.

The game stopped being interesting after TR4. TR3 was great, TR4 had some very interesting levels, and it was hard, which I like. TR5 - I tend to forget what that game is about. Legends was good, horrible controls though.

I really hope THAT THEY WILL GET RID OF THE "TOMB RAIDER" - typeface that was used in the TR movies and the games later on. Ah, hardcore fans should know that TR movies were disastrous. It sprinkled Lara with some "Hollywood", but in a bad way. Whoever says that Angelina did a great job is an idiot. Look what happened to TRAOD. Angelina should have sued, they made Lara look a lot like her. How CHEAP!

For those who don't have TRAOD, don't bother getting it, it will ruin your good memories you've had in the previous games. It's definitely a disgrace to TR 2, one of the best TR games ever.

Cheers.

P.S. - I am not a game designer, but I am in advertising and graphic design (print), and when I see something great out there, it just feels right. These game designers do an amazing job, and I have so much respect for them. However, after the game is completed, the art director should notice any mistakes made in the game, and THEY SHOULD BE CORRECTED. I mean we don't want Lara running into an invisible wall! I even saw this in TR Legend. Why not fix it? I cant' believe they would put these mistakes on the market! It seems as if too many mistakes have been ignored in TRAOD, and the audience does notice, even those who don't pay attention to every possible detail. If it's obvious it's BAD, and if it is obvious to the game players, how was it hidden to the art director, or should I ask why was it ignored? I will never understand this.

-Goran

Mr Mykul
7th Jul 2008, 15:31
Thanks for all your opinions.
I don't really mind glitches. Loading times aren't a problem for me either.
I'll probably get it off ebay, there are quite a few for around £3.

Dr.Willard
7th Jul 2008, 15:40
You know what I have to say, buy the game because you'll never actually know whether you like it or not. To be honest, I was able to play through the whole game and the bugs weren't that hindering whatsoever.

Mr Mykul
7th Jul 2008, 17:32
I should hopefully have a copy buy the end of the week.
I'll finally know about all this Von Croy business as i'm also buying The Last Revelation and Chronicles.

Dukem
7th Jul 2008, 17:37
Good to hear! Hope you have fun with them!

P.S. A belated welcome to the forums! :)

diogoandre
7th Jul 2008, 19:08
i had my expectation high for AoD (that makes me go blind for any crappy things that may appear) and i love TR so i liked the game... some parts got me confused but than i did my homework and found the answers in the internet... i liked the game.. it was diffrent... you will only know for sure if the game is good or bad for you once you play it... if you do not want to buy just borrow one from someone and than you can choose...

I love TR (i know i already said it) so having all the TR games makes me feel really great :D And i don't care if they suck.. For example.. Legend was good but it was small.. and for AoD i got my days occupied playing with Lara Croft, the fugitive

:thumbsup:

JordG
7th Jul 2008, 19:42
yes:D

LisaB1962
7th Jul 2008, 21:08
If it's cheap you should just to see what all the fuss is about. It's like Bennigan's menu: tries to do too much and thus does none of it especially well.

The story is very good--probably the best of the series really, and it was the only reason to finish for me.

TombRaiderPrincess
8th Jul 2008, 14:05
I'll probably get it off ebay, there are quite a few for around £3.

What? Are you sure?:scratch:

Raindrops Melody
8th Jul 2008, 14:24
It was ok not the best but I think you should get it as long as it's cheap.

kitkatt13
9th Jul 2008, 01:36
Buy it. Get it off Amazon.com for a good price (that's where i got mine,). Don't listen to the controvarsy. I didn't want the game until i played it, then i loved it. Plus never mind then you can actually have a real argument with somone, not just citing facts that you heard from so and so on the I HATE AOD thread and such.

Sophia Leigh
9th Jul 2008, 02:57
I loved AOD but I'm glad I played it on the PS2 first. I found it too buggy on PC but had no problems on the PS2. I enjoyed the story too. You could try before you buy: http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tng/demo.html (PC version) or go to your local video store and rent a console version. :)

Anarae
9th Jul 2008, 03:43
I bought it three weeks ago from Ebay for $8, shipping and all. The game itself was $3.

I own the PS2 version and had no problems. Three weeks ago, I bought the PC version and am still problem free, but a lot of people had bug issues. Try the PC version and instal the V49 patch (not the V42 or V52).

It has the best storyline in the series, incredibly developed characters, alternate ways of dealing with enemies (hand to hand combat, stealth), great graphics, a beautiful sound track, and nonlinear gameplay.

There is also some bad: Lara and Kurtis move slower in this game, some people have encountered bugs (I never did, but I recommend the V49 patch anyway), and it has a control system from hell. There were also plot holes and glitches that prevents a lot of people from beating the game.

For less than five bucks, it won't hurt to try. Personally, it was my favourite game. There were plenty of obvious flaws, but if someone were to remake it the right way -- it'd definitely be on everyone's favourites list. I suppose I see it as "potential".

I never had any problems, but if you do and you've got the PC version, there are some easy fixes such as downloaded saved games and the startup configuration utility.

It's fun for those who can get around it, but know that it's got some flaws too. If you play it patched, I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

Mr Mykul
9th Jul 2008, 10:10
i'll get the PS2 version. I'm watching one on ebay at the moment for about £2 including postage. Just got to wait 5 days.

LisaB1962
9th Jul 2008, 12:30
I had horrible slowdowns on the PS2. We used to joke it was "Baywatch Lara" running in slo-mo. The fight with the flame throwing nights was almost nothing but slo-mo.

gtviper217
10th Jul 2008, 01:02
personally i think AOD was a step in the right direction Core was tring to add in some new elements but it didnt seem to hold up peoples expectations. when i played it the game only had one or two glitches but i simply restarted my ps2 an problem fixed. :) the storyline had a good twist especially with von croy's death being so mysterious. actual tomb raiding was good an i loved the part how you had to go through modern places to discover the tombs and passages.

Mr Mykul
10th Jul 2008, 08:42
Sounds like it should be a pretty decent game. I bought one yesterday for £2.04, thats inlcuding postage. It should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Then i'll be raiding all day.
I was just wondering..is there a croft manor in this one??

Rachie
10th Jul 2008, 08:58
Sounds like it should be a pretty decent game. I bought one yesterday for £2.04, thats inlcuding postage. It should hopefully arrive tomorrow. Then i'll be raiding all day.
I was just wondering..is there a croft manor in this one??

No there isn't, sorry. But it has a lot of levels to make up for it. :D

Mr Mykul
10th Jul 2008, 09:10
Ah well, so long as it'll keep me occupied for a while i don't mind.
ooh...one other thing.
Are there unlockables??

lara 4 ever
11th Jul 2008, 05:52
Indeed it has a lot of glitches but apart from that, Lara's moves make you feel surprised!!!:rolleyes:

lara 4 ever
11th Jul 2008, 05:53
Ah well, so long as it'll keep me occupied for a while i don't mind.
ooh...one other thing.
Are there unlockables??

Nope!**** :(

Bampire
11th Jul 2008, 08:22
The game is interesting from the start. It's slow-pace, the controls are different, and the whole game structure is just not like the older ones, at all. Though, it's nice to be trying it out. It's disgusting from the beginning, but you gotta bite your tongue and push yourself to go past the tedious-boring-beginning! It gets better as you play on and pass Bouchard's hideout, things get interesting and fun.

It's worth buying, because it has an amazing story! Plus the graphics are pretty good, for it's age, and you get introduced to a new character, let alone play 'em.

Mr Mykul
11th Jul 2008, 09:08
Nope!**** :(

Pah!!! Ah well...i'll live.

Hopefully its going to arrive today and i can get playing.