PDA

View Full Version : Where is DX in your 'top 10' list of games?

DXeXodus
4th Jul 2008, 06:36
Firstly, just because you are on the Deus Ex 3 forums doesnt mean that you need to make it the number one on your list. We wont verbally abuse you... maybe :D

So, lets get to it. Make a list of the top ten games you have ever played and lets see where Deus Ex sits in that list. Or whether it is on your list at all. I'm just interested to see the results. It will also be interesting to see if anyone has Deus Ex 2 in their list.

Lets keep the "OMG my game are teh bestest!!1111oneone evar!!! Your game are teh suck noob" statements to a minimum please. So don't flame someone just because they like SIMS for some reason :p

My list is as follows:

1. Deus Ex (Honestly the best game I have ever played)
2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
3. The Orange Box
4. Chronicles of Rid****: Escape from Butcher bay - I laugh every time I type Rid**** on this forum
5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
6. Red Faction 1
7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8. Gears of War
9. Deus Ex 2: Invisible War (Nothing compared to the original - But still a good game)
10. ONI

There are so many others, but it is so difficult to prioritise.

So, please share your list with while we wait for Eidos to give us some new piece of media to gawk at and overly analyse. (No offence GlobalNode - your analysis' are great :) )

HouseOfPain
4th Jul 2008, 06:56
1. The Orange Box collection. (Best 60 bucks ever spent)
2. Deus Ex (<3 you Deus Ex)
3. Diablo 1/2/2exp. (Diablo 1 is the first videogame I ever played, I had to have picked it up around age 5 or 6, for real.)
4. Starcraft. (Another first ^-^)
5. Halo Series. (Big time Bungie fan)
6. Heretic (ID's best game IMO, second game I ever played)
7. Gears of War (What can I say, I like brown)
8. Bioshock (Favorite game last year and basically this year as well)
9. Call of Duty 2 (first 360 game I bought) and Call of Duty 4.
10. Guitar Heros, all. (I'm a master Guitar Hero, beat Expert on all of them)

its 3:39 here so some might be out of place :P but heres my list.

Edit: I'd probably throw in Elder Scrolls, Doom, and (seriously) Tony Hawks Underground 2 (SERIOUSLY LOL it was fun!)

DXeXodus
4th Jul 2008, 07:47
Edit: I'd probably throw in Elder Scrolls, Doom, and (seriously) Tony Hawks Underground 2 (SERIOUSLY LOL it was fun!)

I agree. TH Underground 2 was alot of fun :) I would defintely put COD 4 in there somewhere too

mad_red
4th Jul 2008, 09:24
Ahhh the nostalgia!

I don't want choose the whole list according to standard I used to choose the Number 1 position. Instead I've tried to make the list a little varied, but clearly I'm biased towards expansive games like RPGs.

I'm sure I'll forever be itching to mess with it, but here goes:

1: Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex
They share the number one spot because the take the advantages the computers games have over other arts - interactivity - to it's furthest possible extent in the fields I'm interested in most: themes and stories. Deux Ex draws from real life and myths, while PS:Torment does from the rich world of Planescape and it's philosophies.

2: Master of Magic
Offers tons of ways to win, tons of ways to have fun. The only other TBS that comes close are Alpha Centauri and maybe Call to Power. Others are either too limited or too expansive.

3: Privateer
X-Wing & Tie Fighter were better, more interesting sims, but at that time I was more amazed and awed by games than engrossed in how fun it is to blow someone to pieces. Privateer was theRPG in Space.

4: Ultima Underworld
The only other First person real-time RPG that comes close to Deus Ex in quality. The elder scrolls games are good too, but not as good as this one.

5: Diablo 2
Never played Diablo one, so I hope no one is going to lynch me the way I would lynch someone who said he had played DX:IW but not DX.

6: Starcraft
I would have put Dune 2 here, if it weren't for the campaign editor that was included with Starcraft.

7: Slash'em
Sheer variety => Sheer insanity. The first rogue-like I played after "Castle", and no less frustratingly fun.

8: Baldur's Gate: The big picture Mod
The Big picture mod strings the Baldur's Gate series together. Throw in the Icewind Dale mod and you have an EPIC AD&D adventure closer to the likes of Might and Magic

9: Alley Cat
There's a whole seperate top ten for these wayback machine games. From Snake to Digger, from Bouncing Babies to Prince of Persia. Alley Cat appears to be less known, so I thought I'd mention it here.

10: King's Quest 6: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
Remember adventure games? Sierra was one of the greatest, and not long after came LucasArts with the brilliant DoTT and Sam&Max. I'm just nostalgic for King's Quest 6. It's hails from the era of adventure games in which you could die. (You could die even in Leisure Suit Larry - Imagine that!)

Other names of the top of my head:

Golden Axe
Doom
Might and Magic 2 and 7
Rome: Total War
Half-Life 1

Yet to play:
Chronicles of Rid************ (hehe)
Portal

DXeXodus
4th Jul 2008, 09:49
Thats a great list you got there! Some real gems :D

Yet to play:
Chronicles of Rid************ (hehe)
Portal

Both of which are absoloute 'must play' games.

Lo Bruto
4th Jul 2008, 09:51
1- Deus Ex
2- Warcraft II (Played online with Kali :nut:)
3- Warcraft III
4- Age of Empires II (MSN Gaming Zone)
5 - X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
6- MiG 29 /F16 (PS.: I still can remember every single missile name from the MiG. R-77 Adder, someone?)
7- Samurai Shodown IV (arcade)
8- Garou : Mark of the Wolves (arcade)
9- Street Fighter II
10- Duke Nukem 3D

As you may see, I'm not into consoles nor new gaming releases, except for DX3.
How can you people call a game "best ever" if it was released like 6 months ago? :nut:

Blade_hunter
4th Jul 2008, 10:00
Top ten it's easy but I want to make an only FPS / FPS mix top ten because we have a post about the game preference
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77634

1 DX 1 the best game ever
2 SS2 the direct ancestor of DX
3 STALKER the best mix FPS / RPG (but some ideas looks unfinished ....)
4 Unreal 1 The first FPS with good bots and with true improvements since quake (the first game with an headshot management)
5 UT series The best multiplayer game with single player mods
6 Red faction 1 the first game with a true wall destruction, the gameplay is a bit close to HL 1
7 Blood series The first game with burn effects, zombie head shooting and the alt fire
8 Duke nukem The first game with a big interactivity, and tactical weapons
9 Sin series (except the last by episodes) The first game with a full damage location and with projectile delay.
10 Serious sam series The true successor of Duke in therms of fun but the interaction isn't the same

I want to mention
Soldier of fortune 1 & 2
HL 1 & 2
Quake series
RTCW
Crysis
Doom
Gunman
Shadow warrior
C&C Renegade

Because most of theses games adds some new things in therms of gaming

Red
4th Jul 2008, 11:25
OK, then.

Singleplayer experience:

1. Deus Ex 1
2. TES III: Morrowind
3. Gothic II
4. Revenant
5. Grim Fandango
6. Half Life II (+episodes)
7. RTCW
8. TES IV: Oblivion
9. Ultima IX: Ascension
10. GTA: San Andreas

Multiplayer experience (no MMOs):

1. RTCW:Enemy Territory
2. RTCW
3. FEAR (Combat)
4. CoD: United Offensive
5. C&C3: Tiberium Wars
6. Unreal Tournament '99
7. Quake 3 Arena
8. ET: Quake Wars
9. Red Alert 2
10. Team Fortress

Sorry, Deus Ex Multiplayer does not qualify.

Coliphorbs
4th Jul 2008, 13:14
1. Fallout 1&2
2. Deus Ex 1
3. Doom 1&2
4. Hexen
5. TES: Morowind
6. Thief I&II
7. Baldur's Gate series
8. Diablo 1
9. Team Fortress Classic
10. Super Smash Bros.: Melee

Honorable mentions: Sacrifice, Warcraft II, Quake series

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Jul 2008, 14:59
OK, then.

Singleplayer experience:

1. Deus Ex 1
2. TES III: Morrowind

Sums up my top 2 favs as well.

Add.

3. F.E.A.R. (original, before knowing the 101 ways Sierra/Monolith/Timegate could destroy it -- and learning how far publishers will go to extend a franchise just to extend it [oh, please Eidos don't do THAT to the DX series!!]).
4. BF2142 (fun game all in all. The advancement didn't feel like a grind. Plus, the DICE devs are some cool guys [thick skins too], and are willing to even interact with players in and out of the game [a rare, rare thing today]. When EA was stonewalling, they were still accessible).
5. Age of Empires (been a fan since the first).
6. Caesar III (despite it's age, it's an excellent time killer).
7. Oblivion (boring after 50hrs -- same portal grinding, for example -- but can't get enough of the TES series, had to get all their extensions on top of it. Really like it's art design, that remains consistent between games. Felt like "home" even though it was a major transition from Morrowind.).
8. Homeworld (loved the soundtrack, that really set the tone of the game. Felt like a space RTS. The vastness of space was also shown well. Think the MMO Eve spun off it).
9. Commandos (one Eidos title that I keep coming back too. Like Caesar III, it's a game to kill a night, and have some fun in the process -- and THINK what to do, not just run n' gun).

jcp28
4th Jul 2008, 17:39
DX would be #3. I'd give an ordered list of my favorite games, but I need to go soon.

Absentia
4th Jul 2008, 17:49
I'm only ever going to refer to singleplayer in this list, because the only multiplayer games I actually enjoy or at least bother to play regularly are CS: Source and Soldat.

1. Monkey Island series - notably "The Curse of..." - Sorry Deus Ex, but nothing can recreate the pure unconditional love I have for the MI series, and this is definitely the best of them all. I was introduced to the series at such a young age that its forever among my childhood memories. And even now, it's hilariously brilliant.

2. Deus Ex - needless to say, excellent.

3. Portal - Innovative game experience, superb ending.

4. Half Life 1 - First game that actually made me experience real fear. Again, I was a bit young when I played it so that's mainly why.

5. Half Life 2 - Great singleplayer as well, but didn't match the atmosphere of the original IMO.

6. Chronicles of Rid****: Escape From Butcher Bay - Not really sure what to say. Just a great game.

7. Another World An early-90s 2D cinematic masterpiece of a game.

8. F.E.A.R - Personally, I didn't find this game very scary at all, but it has one of the coolest storylines and the gunfighting was really fun for me.

9. Metal Gear Solid 2: The Sons of Liberty: I love all the MGS games (except I haven't played the fourth yet) but the second one really stood out for me.

10. The rest of the Lucasarts point-n-click adventure games. - I'm just a big sucker for them.

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Jul 2008, 19:05
8. F.E.A.R - Personally, I didn't find this game very scary at all, but it has one of the coolest storylines and the gunfighting was really fun for me.

:mad2: **** :scratch:

WHAT storyline????

What was of it, was destroyed in the expansions, and now Monolith wants to raise the Titanic. If it's true that Alma was never anything, all what the game would be is about just spooks and being chased by a girl raped twice, and left to die by her own father.

Sick storyline, sick.

HouseOfPain
4th Jul 2008, 19:22
Chronicles of Ridcock, I seriously need the play this game because everyone says its amazing. WHAT is it?

Edit: LOL THEY DIDNT CENSOR RIDCOCK!

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Jul 2008, 19:35
Chronicles of Ridcock

That doesn't even SOUND right. :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jul 2008, 20:05
Chronicles of Ridcock, I seriously need the play this game because everyone says its amazing. WHAT is it?

LOL @ changing the Rid-bit. :D

This game is getting on a bit now but, OMG, I was so impressed with it. Its cheap to buy these days... you won't regret a single penny you spend on it.

Here is official website:
http://www.thechroniclesofridd ick.com/

Just remove the space I put in, hehe. :D

Oh, and I believe they are about to release an extended version "Dark Athena" for XBox

Gary_Savage
4th Jul 2008, 20:32
1) Deus Ex
2) Alpha Centauri
3) Thief 1
4) Half Life 1
5) Metal gear Solid
6) Civilization IV
7) Red Alert 2
8) Tiberian Sun
9) Dark Reign 2
10) Command & Conquer

Absentia
4th Jul 2008, 20:45
:mad2: **** :scratch:

WHAT storyline????

What was of it, was destroyed in the expansions, and now Monolith wants to raise the Titanic. If it's true that Alma was never anything, all what the game would be is about just spooks and being chased by a girl raped twice, and left to die by her own father.

Sick storyline, sick.

I've heard just how terrible the expansions are, yet I haven't played any of them, in fact I have no idea what the storylines are for them - maybe if i did ever play any of them with good expectations like so many others then I'd be just as put off it as you are. I just thought the original storyline was cool and really twisted, and it wasn't too bad that they left it on a cliffhanger. I agree they've ****ed with it way too much now.

jcp28
5th Jul 2008, 02:41
Okay, here's the rest. This may not be exact, btw.

#1: The Metal Gear Solid series: (hella challenging, yet good if you want to get into it)
#2: Half-Life: Best FPS ever. 'nuff said
#3: Deus Ex
#4 Morrowind(open world, tons of crap to do, no further explanation)
#5: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(At the time, I was very impressed
#6:Goldeneye(First mission-based shooter I ever played, nice:cool:
#7: Turok 2(This is before Sony decided to ruin the franchise with their new entry) I love the whole premise of an interdimisional world with dinos to slaughter!:D
#8: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or RTC Wolfenstein(a little unsure here)
#9: Oblivion
#10:Time Splitters 2(quirky characters that helped make it fun, though they weren't fleshed out)

I've never played Halo 1, otherwise, it might be on there. Then various classic shooter games are somewhere below(like Duke 3D, which could actually be on my top 10.)

Oh, and Serious Sam is probably a definite #12. How can you not like a guy who says things like "my nipples feel like pencil erasers!" in this snowy level in TSE

MaxxQ1
5th Jul 2008, 03:04
My list:

1. Deus Ex
2. Homeworld
3. Planescape: Torment
4. The entire Baldur's gate series, including expansions
5. Freespace 2
6. Freespace
7. Pharoah/Cleopatra
8. Grim Fandango
9. No One Lives Forever
10. Mechwarrior 4

AaronJ
5th Jul 2008, 03:14
1. Deus Ex
2. Deus Ex: Invisible War
3. Freedom Fighters
4. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
5. Max Payne
6. Half-Life Two: Episode Two (hated episode one, the citadel does nothing for me)
7. Red Faction
8. Diablo
9. Crysis (BEFORE THE MINE, EVERYTHING AFTER IS BULL****)
10. Serious Sam

Freddo
5th Jul 2008, 09:24
Maybe not my absolute top 10 list, but the first 10 games I could think of that I think are very good. In what order they should be sorted, I do not know.

Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Daggerfall, System Shock, System Shock 2, Thief, Thief 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Suikoden 2.

HouseOfPain
5th Jul 2008, 10:05
Maybe not my absolute top 10 list, but the first 10 games I could think of that I think are very good. In what order they should be sorted, I do not know.

Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Daggerfall, System Shock, System Shock 2, Thief, Thief 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Suikoden 2.

How could I forget SOTN!!!

I LOVE that game! I even have the original DLed to my 360's harddrive. Man, I cant believe I left it out :nut: :mad2:

SOTN has to be in my top 10 somewhere. lol.

Dioxin2
5th Jul 2008, 10:17
1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time -Best gameplay to this day

2. Metal Gear Solid 2 -Most thought provoking and deep plot to ever grace video games. Very similar to DE except even deeper with much better presentation and voice acting.

3. Secret of Evermore -Great, retro RPG fun

4. Mario RPG -Best Mario game ever.

5. Planescape Torment -Amazingly well written with well developed themes.

6. Metal Gear Solid 4 -Great followup to MGS2 after the disappointing Snake eater. Thought provoking and resonating.

7. Pokemon Yellow -Extremely addicting and fun.

8. Donkey Kong Country -Best platformer.

9. Goldeneye 007 -Best FPS game, awesome, revolutionary gameplay mechanics.

10. Deus Ex -Great storyline and gameplay. Well developed philosophical themes. Horrid voice acting unfortunately bings the whole experience down.

DXeXodus
5th Jul 2008, 10:57
I'm glad to see everyone participating in this thread. And we're all acting like civilized human beings for once :) Some excellent lists being added. Really makes one think about your own list when you see the other great titles that people mention.

Tsumaru
5th Jul 2008, 12:25
I suck at top lists of any sort, but I'll just list a few games/series which I really enjoyed. Not in order.

Deus Ex 1 - would I be here if I didn't? Honestly, I'm gonna throw Invisible War in here too, just because it was decent, and I usually play it straight after DX1 as a big sequel pack. On its own, it's not in the top though. Just because it's part of the series, and has some good elements.

Diablo - Diablo II and its expansion pretty much on and off rule my life. Now is one of those times, with the new announcement of Diablo III. I even gave Diablo 1 a shot a few years back, I loved D2 that much.

Crysis - shoot me down about it, I don't care. I really, really enjoyed it. Storyline included.

Oblivion - not huge replayability value, but man was it awesome the first time round. The huge environments to explore... *drool* And I did want to play it heaps of times either - I just couldn't physically do it.

Warcraft series - I started with Warcraft II, and loved it. Played it a few times. Then got Warcraft III, and loved it. Expansions for both, too. I'm not an MMORPG type, so I didn't do WoW. But still.

Starcraft - I hope I don't have to really justify this one. It was probably the third RTS I ever played, after Dark Reign and Red Alert. But this one is the one I can still play today and love.

Call of Duty - I played 1 and 2. Single player campaign numerous times, multiplayer a fair bit of CoD1 as well; online and LAN with brother/friends. Great FPS. Truly awesome. I have to borrow CoD4 off a friend soon.

Battlefield 2 - not strictly a super great game, but I got addicted to it, and so did a bunch of friends of mine. I also got BF2142, but the whole system was so buggy I could never get into it. =(

Rainbow Six - Ravenshield was the one I played and enjoyed the most. I recently got my hands on a copy of Vegas, which was a lot of fun, but I don't think is half as replayable as Ravenshield was for me. A couple of bros and me used to start up a LAN game where it was like three of us VS maxed out enemies. That was awesome.

Unreal Tournament - UT3 was a fairly big dissapointment, but UT Classic and 2004 were truly epic. I don't remember if I ever played 2003 though. It's all a bit blurry in my head (I have terrible memory). Great games.

Knights of the Old Republic - both of these games rocked hard. The ability to go good/evil was especially awesome in KOTOR2.

And that's about all I can think of right now. There are probably others, but these are just a bunch which I really enjoyed, tended to replay a lot, and have jumped out of me. I can't really order them, but if I had to, Deus Ex would probably be around the middle. For me it has a fantastic storyline, but I can only play it once, put it down for ages, and then play it again months (or more) later for me to enjoy it. Compare this to any of the other multiplayer games which you can play and enjoy consistently. (I never played DXMP).

9: Alley Cat
There's a whole seperate top ten for these wayback machine games. From Snake to Digger, from Bouncing Babies to Prince of Persia. Alley Cat appears to be less known, so I thought I'd mention it here.
Oh my god, I remember that! That was way back in the day. God, the nostalgia...brings back memories...
the very first Prince of Persia game, Stunts, Police Quest (I have a compulsion to purchase a 1983 black Cadillac because of this game), Tanks, Treasure Mountain (who said educational games can't be fun?), and who could possibly ever forget Lemmings? I'm sure there are heaps of others, but those are the ones I can clearly remember right now.

EDIT: A special mention goes to the Pokemon games. Maybe because I grew up during the Pokemon fanclub obsession/addiction period; but ever since I've had to play each game on an emulator as soon as possible. They're hardly great, but there is just something seriously addictive in there.
EDIT2: Added in KOTOR, thanks for the reminder Psychopomp.

HouseOfPain
5th Jul 2008, 12:27
Talk about civilized, Dioxin2 just put Deus Ex as number 10

BUUURN HIIIM!!! :whistle: -savage outcry-

Psychopomp
5th Jul 2008, 14:35
1-Baldurs Gate II-Shadows of Amn

2-Xcom (Known as UFO Defense in Europe)

3-KoTOR I/II (I can't say either is worse than the other)

4-Fallout I/II (Ditto)

5-Deus Ex

6-Starcraft

7-Portal

8-Civ IV/GalCiv II (Yet, again I love both equally, except this time they aren't both in the same franchise...)

9-Team Fortress 2

10-Half-Life I/II+Episodes

Edit:Morrowind's in there somewhere. Something got lost in the making of Oblivion. Namely, everything that wasn't combat.

gamer0004
7th Jul 2008, 15:21
Edit:Morrowind's in there somewhere. Something got lost in the making of Oblivion. Namely, everything that wasn't combat.
Exactly. You should try Shivering Isles though, it is almost as good as Morrowind.

iWait
8th Jul 2008, 07:41
1. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

2. Deus Ex Series

3. Oblivion

4. Psychonauts

5. Thief Series

6. Civilization 4

7. Half-Life

8. Commandos

9. Myst

10. WC III

Romeo
8th Jul 2008, 07:52
1) Total Annihilation

2) Forza Motorsport

3) GoldenEye 007 (Come on, it was awesome)

4) Gears of War

5) Deus Ex

6) Mass Effect

7) Morrowind

8) StarCraft

9) Halo

10) Call of Duty 4

Romeo
8th Jul 2008, 07:54
Exactly. You should try Shivering Isles though, it is almost as good as Morrowind.

No, it's better than Oblivion is on it's own, but it's still much, much worse than Morrowind. There are few games I say are literally worse than there predecessors. Oblivion is one such game.

iWait
8th Jul 2008, 07:55
WOW, I just realized I totally forgot Mass Effect and KotOR.

I hate lists...

Romeo
8th Jul 2008, 07:58
Undoubtedly I'll come back to my list. Such as the fact I forgot Need For Speed: Underground. Damn it.

MaxxQ1
8th Jul 2008, 15:15
WOW, I just realized I totally forgot Mass Effect and KotOR.

I hate lists...

I just finished Mass Effect PC, and while it was good, it still doesn't crack my top ten.

Too repetitive (similar buildings, same building interior layouts, same planet surfaces, and always three mineral patches on planets), a bit derivative (I noticed influences from Babylon 5, Firefly/Serenity, the Freespace games (in look, not gameplay), Star Trek: The Next Generation*), and still too console-like for my tastes.

Oh, and I hate having to go into the .ini to edit graphics options that should be available in-game on the options screen. Bloom, depth-of-field, and a few other things looked like crap, but I had to edit files to turn them off. Pay attention Eidos Montreal - I want ALL graphics options available from the in-game menus. NO FILE EDITING!

Please?:D

*And I'm not referring to Marina Sirtis voice acting one of the characters. I'm referring to the Borg-like stuff that crops up.

gamer0004
8th Jul 2008, 16:02
No, it's better than Oblivion is on it's own, but it's still much, much worse than Morrowind. There are few games I say are literally worse than there predecessors. Oblivion is one such game.

Hmm. Altough it had a we-lack-inspiration-Medieval theme, the atmosphere was still quite good, the characters were nice, the music as good as in Morrowind and there were more possibilities - and some of them were really nice, like riding a horse and buying a house. Of course, combat sucked, the leveling system was completely crap (it is actually better NOT to level) and so on. But still, it was a pretty nice game. I mean, Morrowind had its flaws too. Like giving no clue to what you had to do, a boring combat system, glitches, and, er, well, that was all.I guess you're right :P

Romeo
9th Jul 2008, 04:12
Hmm. Altough it had a we-lack-inspiration-Medieval theme, the atmosphere was still quite good, the characters were nice, the music as good as in Morrowind and there were more possibilities - and some of them were really nice, like riding a horse and buying a house. Of course, combat sucked, the leveling system was completely crap (it is actually better NOT to level) and so on. But still, it was a pretty nice game. I mean, Morrowind had its flaws too. Like giving no clue to what you had to do, a boring combat system, glitches, and, er, well, that was all.I guess you're right :P

Morrowind is not the perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, it was absolutely PLAGUED with glitches, lack of directions, poor graphics and frustratingly difficult to start out with, but I still prefer it even to the newer Oblivion. For one, it had more stats, was more innovative for it's era, allowed more customization with armor, had more importance to things like lockpick and speechcraft, it lasted forever and it didn't have that god-forsaken-scaling. Besides, both houses and horses are available as mods.

carldavid1887
9th Jul 2008, 15:30
I won't enumerate them from one to ten, just throwing the names in because the rankings are always changing ;)

Deus Ex
suppose I don't have to give any reasons

Civilization I to IV
with part II the most-played and IV the most-playable

Gothic I and II, not III
I'm always marvelling over the non-success of Gothic in overseas. Just two magnificient games.

Jagged Alliance
I know there are several people not from Canada on this board, but I'm highly confused, to be honest, that the JA-series is not mentioned in this thread.

Colonization
there is a new edition coming this fall. awesome

Half-Life
just a great gaming experience, just superb

X-Com Enemy Unknown
just finished it 3 months ago with my squad, the Knights of Cydonia ^^

Ascendancy
A small, but fine piece of a 4X-game

Die Gilde
well, there has to be one typical German game in this top 10 list ;)

the last spot is constantly changing, usually I use it for a honorable mention or unsung hero :D

gamer0004
9th Jul 2008, 15:33
I don't agree that Morrowind was hard. Everything just fell in place. The graphics are really, really nice. It is the only game I know that has water graphics that look almost as real water. They do a great job for the atmosphere and the immersion, and even if they hadn't the graphics still wouldn't have been poor, just a bit outdated.
And I know that horses and houses are available in mods. However, in my mind, games should never be changed! I never downloaded Shifter's mod for instance. I did dowload mods like Hotel Carone and ZODIAC, but those are total conversions.

Bluey71
9th Jul 2008, 17:30
1 - Deus Ex - nothing can really touch it imho
2 - Half Life 1 / Opposing Force - not great graphics, but the use of sound and story really make these two fun fun fun.
3 - Thief: The Dark Project / System Shock 2
4 - Red Faction 1 - being called 'Scum!' ftw
5 - Ghost Recon 1 / Rainbow Six:Raven Shield - Multiplayer was awesome.
6 - Project IGI - Fun and different
7 - Thief 2 Metal Age
8 - Splinter Cell 1&3 / Metal Gear Solid 2
9 - Medieval Total War 2 / Homeworld 1
10 - Soldier of Fortune 2

Jerion
10th Jul 2008, 05:45
1. Deus Ex
2. Starcraft (SC 2 will sit right next to this when it's released)
3. Halo PC & Halo 3 (big Bungie fan)
4. Battlefield 2142 (Excellently done game; the advancement since BF 2 was enough to keep me happy. My main soldier is Kieranator, if anyone wants to look me up).
5. Call of Duty 2 & Call of Duty 4
6. Red Faction (destructible terrain ftw)
7. Command & Conquer (The first one. Anybody remember that?)
8. Quake 4 (hey, i had some great time with LAN games
9. Goldeneye
10.Super Mario 64 (who didn't love that game!)

DXeXodus
10th Jul 2008, 05:55
I don't agree that Morrowind was hard. Everything just fell in place. The graphics are really, really nice. It is the only game I know that has water graphics that look almost as real water. They do a great job for the atmosphere and the immersion, and even if they hadn't the graphics still wouldn't have been poor, just a bit outdated.
And I know that horses and houses are available in mods. However, in my mind, games should never be changed! I never downloaded Shifter's mod for instance. I did dowload mods like Hotel Carone and ZODIAC, but those are total conversions.

Morrowind was not a difficult game, I agree. It was very well made and complete in every sense, that is why it is number 2 in my list. Oblivion was good, but it came nowhere close to Morrowind.

urban_queen41
11th Jul 2008, 02:46
I won't post a whole list in order- that'd be imposible for me.

But Deus Ex is my number one...it's not the best game I've ever played, but it definitely is my personal favourite. I don't think I need to state any reasons here.

Silent Hill 2 is also right up there next to DX. Everything about that game is amazing- it is one of the only truly, geniunely scary games I have ever played. Plus, the storyline was absolutely mindblowing- almost too good for a video game.

Voltaire
12th Jul 2008, 09:52
So my modem curls up and dies for a few weeks and I come back to see I've missed the birth of such a cool nostalgic thread.

My definitive top 10 titles:

1. Wolfenstein 3D - Holds first place mainly because it was the first shooter I ever played, and it was genius. An example? The guys at iD realised that it was hard to make out enemies that were far away due to low resolution so they used the same colors for the guards uniforms (brown down to the knees, dark blue boots) as for the potted plants on the corridors (dead looking pine trees in dark blue pots). Also it was plagued with huge secret levels and stashes.

2. Age of Empires - The original game was amazing. It filled a real hole in gaming, in that it was as sophisticated as a full-on RTS (like the total war series), but simple enough to pick up in minutes. Polished and perfect.
EDIT: I have forgotten to mention that the soundtrack is deeply ingrained in my soul, as are the little voices of the villagers when you give them a task.

3. Deus Ex - Innovative blend of genres, themes and ideologies. Made me really think about any games that I have played before and after. ("Does this guy really deserve to die? There's no way to knock him out without killing him. Maybe I can find another way around him...")

4. Halo - Very good as a complete package. Squad based missions fighting alongside AI, hours battling the ever rising Flood, and a compelling enough storyline. Probably the best MP set up, I've ever experienced, in terms of server speeds, population and gametypes.

5. Dark Forces - A really good game, but get this, the first title was "Dark Forces" the next was "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2". Then came "Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight 2"! I felt entirely disowned by the franchise. (Didn't stop me getting the rest of the games though :o )

And the rest:
6. StarWars Battlefront (I & II)
7. Alone in the Dark (original series - haven't played the new one yet)
8. Duke Nukem 3D
9. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
10. FX Fighter (does anybody remember this?)

Sneulv
12th Jul 2008, 11:44
1 Deus Ex and System Shock 2
2 TES II and TES III
3 Half-Life series
4 Arcanum and Fallout 1-2
5 Far Cry
6 Crysis
7 Arx Fatalis
8 Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague
9 Portal
10 Unreal

Xcom
12th Jul 2008, 12:41
Number 6 or 7.

Styrisvolurin
12th Jul 2008, 19:35
Hmm, tough but here goes, to the best of my recollection. Though guarenteed the minute I hit submit I'll go, OH NO, I FORGOT *insert game here*

1 - Deus Ex (no joke, it's uber, as you know)
2 - Ghost Recon (original, with the expansions, the multiplayer was amazing)
3 - Half Life
4 - Deus Ex Invisible War
5 - Super Mario World
6 - Sonic the Hedgehog (master system II, oh yes)
7 - Outrun
8 - Crysis
9 - Rome Total War: Barbarian Kingdoms
10 - Sims 2 (I'm a girly girl at heart, what can I say)

:mad2: too many to fit into a top 10.

Zhanate
12th Jul 2008, 20:38
When I asked myself what my top ten was, there were some games that came right to mind and made me smile. Those are the top six. The others are the ones that came to mind after I thought a couple minutes.

Great lists from everybody else. I have some new things to add to my oldie-but-goodie shopping searches.

1. Deus Ex: My personal "best game ever." The only game I've played that truly begins to take gaming into the realm of literary art. The only game that's made me think about meaningful things. And, oh yeah, it was really fun to play, too. :) The only game I've actually replayed several times all the way through.
2. Serious Sam: Mindless shoot-'em-up, quite the opposite of Deus Ex many ways, but colorful and energetic.
3. Dungeon Keeper, 1 and 2: Great humor and personality. Wish there were more.
4. Black and White, 1 and 2: I don't think I was actually able to finish either one of these, but I absolutely loved training my creature to be a good guy.
5. Grim Fandango: I'm not into adventure games a lot, but the characters particularly drew me in.
6. City of Heroes: It has all the ups and downs of any MMO, but the character creator, the playstyle choices, the soloability and my imagination keep me entertained.

Those six are the definites. The rest of the spots are somehow shared by these:

Civilization III: I have IV too, but I really got into III more.
Age of Empires: Whole series, really enjoyed it.
Caesar III: As someone else said, it holds up well as straightforward fun.
Heretic etc.: They were so beautiful.
Realms of the Haunting: An adventure game, but this had enough action to keep me going.
Unreal: So pretty.
Cybermage: The comic booky feel of the story drew me in. And it was fun, too.
Duke Nukem 3d: Yeah, a part of me just loves shooting things.
Depth Dwellers: Great atmosphere, dark feel.

Trowar
12th Jul 2008, 21:17
1. Deus Ex 1 (Torn between DX1 and C&C1)
2. Command & Conquer 1 (Loved the music...)
3. Duke Nukem 3D
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. X-Com UFO Enemy Unknown / Terror from the deep ()
6. The Settlers 2
7. Starwars KOTOR
8. Goldeneye (Not a console gamer, but this game was so much fun!)
9. Dune 2
10. Halo

Necros
14th Jul 2008, 10:39
"Where is DX in your 'top 10' list of games?"

#1 of course! :cool: Amazing, deep story, great gameplay, very nice design, you can play it the way you want to play it... But I can't rank the others, it's already very hard to select only 9 others.

#1. Deus Ex :cool:
No ranking: Thief series, Age of Empires 2 and the rest after that, FreeSpace series, KOTOR series, Clive Barker's Undying, Brothers in Arms series, Mass Effect, Arx Fatalis, Counter Strike.
And there are other great games that could also easily be in the Top10 like: Deus Ex 2, Wizardry 8, UT series, Call of Cthulhu, FEAR, World in Conflict, Oblivion, Fahrenheit (you might know it as Indigo Prohecy) and so on... :)

Oym
14th Jul 2008, 19:47
1 Deus Ex ( and by far .. )
2 Warcraft 3
3 Gta : San Andreas
4 Baldur's Gate
5 Alpha Centauri
6 Jet Set Radio Future
7 Morrowind
8 Deus Ex IW
9 Halo
10 Unreal ( the first one )

RebelX
14th Jul 2008, 20:18
I couldn't resist making my top 10 list of games...

1. Deus Ex (why the hell not?)
2. Frogger 3D (God I loved that game...)
3. Pokemon Red/Blue
5. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
6. Starcraft (haven't played that in a LONG time)
7. Any Gran Turismo game
8. GTA: San Andreas
9. SimCity 4000
10. Crysis

jordan_a
15th Jul 2008, 05:32
What about the http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7978/logodreamcastsmallnf5.jpg ????? :eek:

1. DX
2. Shenmue 2
3. Oblivion
4. BG 2
5. Banjo Kazooie
6. Zelda Majora's mask
7. Soulcalibur
8. Donkey Kong Country SNES
9. Super Mario World
10. Shadowman, probably one the most underated and unknown game.