PDA

View Full Version : Character Voices

Kevyne-Shandris
1st Jul 2008, 01:14
After watching, or should I say listening, to that teaser and how the narrator sounded similiar to JC, it brought to mind somethings about the character voices I noticed.

Some of the DX voices were of the Ion Storm dev team. And being not professional voice actors, I think added to the character of Deus Ex. In some of the JC voice files, you can hear him swallowing between words, even. It gave JC that more apprehensive appearance -- an edge that spoke he's angry and ready to act in an instant.

When going over the F.E.A.R. voice files (which were done by professionals), I noticed the humanity side lost for controlled voice. Creepy at times, but "put on" artificial. Fettel could never match the outright coldness of Simmons, who sounded just like a person would envision a man-machine to sound like, especially one bent on evil with so much hate in what's left of his human heart.

Out of all of the voices in DX, Simmons is the most memorable, IMO. It's stuff nightmares are made of. JC's voice was perfect, not cocky, not lazy...he was business. Professional, "Just the facts" type.

I know it's a pipe dream to have the old crew back voicing the DX characters through DX3 (and beyond), but I wonder if EIDOS will go overboard on the polish, and forgetting these characters are more complex than reading a dialogue from a script?

Usually folks will analyse how the voice sounded in a game, I'm more interested in how will it be presented. Professional and "put on"? Amateur and making the "mistakes" voice actors wouldn't do unless part of the script (like swallowing), but more life like? Will that coldness in all of the characters emunate through, too? There was no "warm and fuzzy" voices in DX, they had a serious and distant tone to them. From Corporal Collins to Helios. Much like if someone is talking to you with a gun behind their back.

Specter kept stressing the need for better voice acting at the time. Is that also a hint that he felt the DX voices weren't enough?

And who would you think would make the best voice substitute for the characters now, and why?

HouseOfPain
1st Jul 2008, 03:08
I believe Warren is a man gone mad now. I wouldnt take anything he says seriously, rest his SOUL :(

AaronJ
1st Jul 2008, 03:54
I agree. He seems to have gone down the cereal box road.

HouseOfPain
1st Jul 2008, 04:17
I really liked Deadalus's voice best IMO. When I first played Deus Ex back in 2001.. lets see.. I was 8 years old. And that voice ALWAYS got stuck in my head! Whenever I read a book, it would be in his voice (now its Alan Rickmans' voice) I would love to see the return of that voice in some sort of new A.I. :D

Kevyne-Shandris
1st Jul 2008, 04:17
I believe Warren is a man gone mad now. I wouldnt take anything he says seriously, rest his SOUL :(

Specter is in the "here and now". Like gurus that push the fad of the day, he likes to push the "latest and greatest" envelope -- but on his own terms. That's what brought DX:IW, no consumer imput, only "God" knows. That helped kill the franchise for so long -- "God" didn't listen -- that now it has to start from scratch again.

But, Specter had talked about the voice acting for a long time. Don't know if he was satisfied of the voice acting in DX, but he did stress it then. He may go off on tangents and following his passions for a time (remember it's his passions that helped to create DX), but the core that he talks about does have merit.

The one thing of all that he has said that I'm most curious about, and that's why he's not a fan of online (MP/MMO) style gaming. Only remember little of his reasons, but being a "latest and greatest" point man, that's really odd. With WoW and all, would think he'd jump on that bandwagon as he did with the Wii. Maybe it's that loss of control issue again, but it's something, and something I wished I understood (because I too can't stand online gaming).

He's a fascinating guy to read views from, yet theres so many missing pieces of the puzzle that's him. Gurus are like that.

HouseOfPain
1st Jul 2008, 04:21
He is indeed half wise and half lame. Perhaps its what he said about story being so unneccsary and that games should be shorter or the fact that he works at disney that offsets him as a good man gone down a wrong path.

iWait
1st Jul 2008, 04:27
Warren Specter is dead to me.

Kevyne-Shandris
1st Jul 2008, 04:58
He is indeed half wise and half lame. Perhaps its what he said about story being so unneccsary and that games should be shorter or the fact that he works at disney that offsets him as a good man gone down a wrong path.

He goes off on tangents. Remember the movie depictions of a guy scientist so lost in his thoughts (that prof trying to answer the last riddle in his formula)? That's Specter. He thinks of an idea and follows it to it's end. It sometimes leads to gold, but more often to a dead end.

But I'm not going to knock him down. He'll come to his senses eventually, when he follows what he's ruminating about to it's end.

Worts and all, I do wish he was involved in DX3, though. It just doesn't seem complete without "God's" presence.

Tsumaru
1st Jul 2008, 06:02
All I know is Chris Sabat was Alex Denton.

"The sleeper has awakened. I am the prince of all Saiyans once again!"

jcp28
1st Jul 2008, 21:58
I remember that Tom Hall was the guy who voiced Simons and also the prototype AI Morpheus. He actually worked on a number of other games stretching back to at least Doom. And he actually did the roles rather well.

The voice actor that plays Gunther, however, needs to be locked in a deep dark hole. That guy was nauseating To me, it was like "Get your ****ty German accent and completely inapprorpiate voice tones and let me pull it out with a screwdriver!" All the other main characters did a lot better, so far that I remember.

HouseOfPain
1st Jul 2008, 22:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

If you havent already seen it :rasp:

Absentia
1st Jul 2008, 23:45
I gotta admit, the Australian/British ones were PAINFULLY BAD. so were the french ones actually. I noticed when I played them but totally forgot until now, funny how that game's flaws seemed to escape me. So many people say that DX seemed to have nothing wrong with it, but there were plenty, it's just the good things outweighed it by far. Anyway, wrong subject...
Well, Jay Anthony Franke (Paul, JC & various others) I'd imagine would be keen to voice act again, because he seemed pretty psyched about doing the first one. I really hope they keep the original ones for the main characters.

"Oh my God, JC, a bomb!"
"A BOMB!"

HouseOfPain
2nd Jul 2008, 03:52
Few things,

J.C. says Gunthers Killphrase, and gunther says "I am not a mach---"

then J.C. says "sticks and stones" like very awkwardly, sort of like the Fonz or something ;P

"Ayyeee, sticks and stoooones.":nut:

Lo Bruto
2nd Jul 2008, 07:05
Half of Simons "character building" came from his voice.
I've never seen a better v. acting than that one.

Games today are just about "FIRE IN THE HOLE" thing...:nut:

Kevyne-Shandris
2nd Jul 2008, 07:39
Think I'm going to be sick: went to youtube to find some cut scenes from DX, and came across the cut scenes from DX:IW. Me, never having played it took a peek...

THEY ARE GODAWFUL!!

Not only was the body language so stupid (swinging shoulders as gestures??), I see why folks didn't like the JC in that game, too -- arching eyebrows and a voice best described as talking 200 words a minute in a glass coffin??? What is he Count Dracula now????

It's no wonder why those who played DX:IW before DX have no connection to JC. He's a nobody in DX:IW, a sideshow freak.

They really did mess up that game. Truly, destroyed it.

gamer0004
2nd Jul 2008, 08:15
Some of the other voice acting is pretty decent though... But only those of normal NPCs.

jcp28
2nd Jul 2008, 21:06
Few things,

J.C. says Gunthers Killphrase, and gunther says "I am not a mach---"

then J.C. says "sticks and stones" like very awkwardly, sort of like the Fonz or something ;P

"Ayyeee, sticks and stoooones.":nut:

That was kind of weird. I think that the actor was trying to sound casual and indifferent, as if the destruction of a mech was nothing more than just breaking "sticks and stones" Which makes no sense, but the attitude was clear in any case. Though it did sound slightly forced when I think about it.

Kevyne-Shandris
2nd Jul 2008, 21:56
That was kind of weird. I think that the actor was trying to sound casual and indifferent, as if the destruction of a mech was nothing more than just breaking "sticks and stones" Which makes no sense, but the attitude was clear in any case. Though it did sound slightly forced when I think about it.

Remember Gunther was taunting JC for several levels, and that response would make sense in this regard: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words would never hurt me." It was his way of saying, "game over".

The irony in Gunther's last words was he was proclaiming he wasn't a machine, despite all what he willingly did to be augmented (and facing the perks and discrimination to be a "superman"). So in the end he regarded himself more human than machine, secretly hating to be augmented. It fit in with the pettiness he had for JC for being a newer model that could pass as being more human.

In some way, in all of the dialogue between Gunther and JC over the "passing issue" Gunther could never get over that very human ego. Something I wonder if JC even has, considering it was one human trait that he didn't show in the game (he did what he did for others, not himself). If it was there, it was masked by the anger he carried and tried so hard to hide (but players can still see it between his interaction with Paul. Paul being more insightful and forgiving; JC more in denial [or naive] and angry). If Paul didn't turn, JC could've lived the UNATCO lie to the end, as that is all he really knew and was trained to know. Unlike Paul who had a looser education and training, his handlers learned by their lessons of that "error", and ensured not only JC was raised and schooled in strict isolation, his obiedience to authority had to be assured (as they knew Paul was too mindful).

Oddball as the character development/chemistry was, and how the devs just plopped them in and all, in the end it made sense. And we'll be seeing more of it in DX3, especially if it appears what Gunther had to face of being a mech (the aug/nano discrimination) and maybe how he, and Anna and others, became what they became -- tools to a even larger machine.

Tsumaru
3rd Jul 2008, 04:01

I believe actually he was referring to "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me". In this case there is an irony that specific words in themselves do kill the mechs.

I assume there is meaning behind the killphrase 'Laputan machine' too. I'm thinking it must be in relation to Laputa from Gulliver's Travles by Jonathon Swift; although I don't really know how it relates. Similarly, Navarre's killphrase 'Flatlander woman' probably relates to Flatland by Edwin Abbott but once again I don't really know the reference. Or understand her "How did you know!?" response (this could mean that she was aware of her killphrase; or is in relation to something else in her history). Any ideas?

HouseOfPain
3rd Jul 2008, 04:57
At first thought I thought she was referring to him knowing her Killphrase, but that doesnt make sense. So what you said about Flatlander meaning something in her past is relevant. :thumbsup:

Kevyne-Shandris
3rd Jul 2008, 05:23
I know it didn't mean the other Flatlander (north Texan), but it would've been funny - Eidos-Dallas/Eidos-Austin.

Remember vaguely the flatlander reference, when reading about the dimensions and 4D vision (which man has, but like other senses they atropied over time).

gamer0004
3rd Jul 2008, 07:39
Remember Gunther was taunting JC for several levels, and that response would make sense in this regard: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words would never hurt me." It was his way of saying, "game over".

The irony in Gunther's last words was he was proclaiming he wasn't a machine, despite all what he willingly did to be augmented (and facing the perks and discrimination to be a "superman"). So in the end he regarded himself more human than machine, secretly hating to be augmented. It fit in with the pettiness he had for JC for being a newer model that could pass as being more human.

In some way, in all of the dialogue between Gunther and JC over the "passing issue" Gunther could never get over that very human ego. Something I wonder if JC even has, considering it was one human trait that he didn't show in the game (he did what he did for others, not himself). If it was there, it was masked by the anger he carried and tried so hard to hide (but players can still see it between his interaction with Paul. Paul being more insightful and forgiving; JC more in denial [or naive] and angry). If Paul didn't turn, JC could've lived the UNATCO lie to the end, as that is all he really knew and was trained to know. Unlike Paul who had a looser education and training, his handlers learned by their lessons of that "error", and ensured not only JC was raised and schooled in strict isolation, his obiedience to authority had to be assured (as they knew Paul was too mindful).

Oddball as the character development/chemistry was, and how the devs just plopped them in and all, in the end it made sense. And we'll be seeing more of it in DX3, especially if it appears what Gunther had to face of being a mech (the aug/nano discrimination) and maybe how he, and Anna and others, became what they became -- tools to a even larger machine.

Damn - DX is good! You would never have this kind of characters in DX:IW.

@Tsumaru and HouseOfPain, I always thought she was referring to the fact that JC knows her killphrase and I still do. I guess she new her killphrase. Of course, people have made fun of Anna knowing her killphrase, because if she would've hear it she would've been blown up. However, I guess you can simply read it.

Tsumaru
3rd Jul 2008, 09:33
As I said, it could be one or the other. It seems strange that they would know it - most of them seemed completely ignorant to the existence of a killswitch at all. It seems like the kind of thing they would feel a bit violated and threatened by. The kind of thing which would turn them against UNATCO and MJ12. But really it's hard to say either way.

Lo Bruto
3rd Jul 2008, 10:01
As I said, it could be one or the other. It seems strange that they would know it - most of them seemed completely ignorant to the existence of a killswitch at all. It seems like the kind of thing they would feel a bit violated and threatened by. The kind of thing which would turn them against UNATCO and MJ12. But really it's hard to say either way.

In my conception she knew she had a killswitch. Anna is just the "in the business" person. She knew what she's for and her position in the organization (UNATCO, because I don't think Anna nor Gunther knew they were working for MJ12 all along). For me she just thought that they would never use it, since they would have no reasons to.

Gunther also knew, and this I'm almost sure because of the Answer he gives after JC says it.
Gunther was not happy (having a killswitch is not a very happy thing :nut: )because in his Killphrase, he's seen like a Machine. Maybe she knew Anna's too... and in hers there's the "woman" word, not Flatlander Machine. This made he very upset. After JC says the killphrase, he ultimately express that he's NOT a machine.
Otherwise, when JC said the "Laputan Machine" thing in the middle of a would-be battle, Gunther would just say "WTF, what are you talking about?" or something like this. :nut: Just because JC called him a Machine, a guy like Gunther would not start "crying" "I'm not a machine, I'm not a machine". He knew he was going to die, so he expressed his ultimate protest.

That's how I see the whole thing.

gamer0004
3rd Jul 2008, 10:43
Same for me. However, I do think, well, know, that at some point Anna knew she was working for MJ-12. How else could she visit you in prison?

jcp28
3rd Jul 2008, 23:25
I believe actually he was referring to "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me". In this case there is an irony that specific words in themselves do kill the mechs.

Yeah. . The thing about it being irony makes sense. It's just that the whole thing seemed slightly out of place. But now it makes sense, since Gunther had been taunting JC for so long, it's only natural that JC would say "sticks and stones" in the voice of one like "who cares."

Anna visiting JC in prison.... You really can't expect everything perfect in DX. I wonder if anybody really thought of that. On the other hand, she might have been trusted enough at that point to get access to the MJ12 base of which we know nothing about. She was just the inthe business type as Lo Bruto has pointed out.
Personally, I think there was some sort of entrance that wasn't in the game. It's not as if though you see MJ12 walking through UNATCO at any point. And nobody even discusses it before your imprisonment.

HouseOfPain
3rd Jul 2008, 23:51
Perhaps that is the folly of Deus Ex 1, the ONE mistake with Anna and the MJ12 prison :P

gamer0004
4th Jul 2008, 07:02
I think that she was allowed to know what was there because she had proved her loyalty. I don't think she knew exactly what MJ-12 was doing, though.
About the entrance: the MJ12 crew could simply change their uniforms, or leave at night.

Lo Bruto
4th Jul 2008, 09:23
Same for me. However, I do think, well, know, that at some point Anna knew she was working for MJ-12. How else could she visit you in prison?

I completely forgot about this.
Probably because I've killed Anna on the 747 or in the subway so many times... :nut:

Damn, you twisted my whole conception. :mad2: What do you think? That Anna knew everything about MJ12 or that she thought she had access to a section of Unatco where people wore black instead of green?

gamer0004
4th Jul 2008, 13:13
The latter. I guess she thought they were part of a different, secret US organisation. But that's just my thought.

Kevyne-Shandris
4th Jul 2008, 16:21
Damn, you twisted my whole conception. :mad2: What do you think? That Anna knew everything about MJ12 or that she thought she had access to a section of Unatco where people wore black instead of green?

She would've known something. Even in the future the "grapevine" and office shuttlebutt will exist.

Think about this, too: if we know of killswitches now, mechs would've known it up close and personal, just via history.

Must be depressing to be one, always knowing in the back of the mind, that a society that has killswitches, is a society afraid of those it employs to keep them "safe". Give any entity the ability to kill masses, the masses will turn on it (much like mankind's love/hate for nuclear weapons. It helped to prevent world wars for 50 years, but at a high cost of anxiety).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jul 2008, 17:06
You guys may not have guessed this... but I rather like the voice of the Omar. :D
:p
I hope they return in Deus Ex 3. :cool:

Lo Bruto
5th Jul 2008, 02:29
You guys may not have guessed this... but I rather like the voice of the Omar. :D
:p
I hope they return in Deus Ex 3. :cool:

You have an obsession with the Omar, don't you? :D
btw, it's amazing how after 8 years of the game's release we still debate it's sidestories.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jul 2008, 11:35
^
Well, not so much an obsession (I don't think! :eek: ) but I guess I feel kind of sorry for them, hehe. :o
I think they are generally "misunderstood" by the majority (or maybe it is I who misunderstand them). ;)

Yeah, exactly, that's why the Deus Ex world is so damn good... so many possibilities and unanswered questions. Love it. :cool:

urban_queen41
14th Jul 2008, 09:09

Nice character insights there, Scadvid. In my opinion there is so muh more character development that could be done with the Dentons and characters like Anna and Gunther just to name a few, which is why I would like to see them back in DX3. For example, Paul was meant to be flamboyant, but the devs have mentioned that they didn't get time/it was too hard to show this in the game. Hopefully DX3 can give us some more character development =]
I think the game really needs it- I love it when games have in-depth characters, it really makes a difference.

gamer0004
14th Jul 2008, 14:23
Bob Page was supposed to be a real geeky nerd. Any resemblance to Bill Gates here ? :D

urban_queen41
19th Jul 2008, 09:33
How many of you have seen this?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k&feature=related

HouseOfPain
19th Jul 2008, 11:37
How many of you have seen this?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k&feature=related

I posted that video.. somewhere.. I think in THIS thread actually..

HouseOfPain
19th Jul 2008, 11:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

If you havent already seen it :rasp:

10th post, BEAT YAH URBAN QUEEN!

hehe, I'm kidding :) Its a great and funny vid, I dont mind watching it twice.

"a-Mister J.C. Denton! In the Fresh!" :lol:

urban_queen41
21st Jul 2008, 04:30

Whoops.

*runs away*