PDA

View Full Version : Biomods / Nano augmentations

Blade_hunter
27th Jun 2008, 22:15
1/How much biomods we want to be installed?

We have the light aug but we can make this mod not installed yet or like the first games if someone wants it.
How much
max 5+1 (DX 2)
max 7+1 (DX 2 preview)
max 9+1 (DX 1)
other

say the exact number, if we say an number like X+1 it wil be say we have one non custom biomod and it could be the light.

2/ the poll

Vote and give some answers about our choice, and your conception of biomods
The poll is a multiple choice of course

3/Their classification

Does the biomods can have specified slots like the firsts games ?
Does the biomods can be classified like DX 2 (legal / illegal) or stay at DX 1 statement ?
Do you want the biomods act like super powers or like useful enhancements with tactical use ?

Of course I speak about DX 1 & 2 but we can give more original ideas and concepts, just take things from previous titles isn't the only way.

4/ Ideas

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=730874#post730874
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76190

For ideas submission theses good posts are here

Fen
28th Jun 2008, 03:27
In total I would like to see about 20 augs. Of course you will be limited on what to install. But 20 should suffice to give lots of different playstyles and replayability without turning them into some crazy novelty. About 8 slots I think would be fine.

What I think would be interesting would be if you could choose between nanoaugs (using nanites for cellular manipulation), and mechanical augs (replacing the entire arm). Each with different attributes.

As for the different types, here is my opinion.

Biomods = Offensive weapons (controlled)
Im not exactly sure what you mean here. If you mean something like a Skul Gun, then I could definately see it working as a mechanical aug. As a nano-aug however, its not very biologically plausable to build a gun out of ones body.

Biomods = Defense / protection (protect against a damage type)
Yes, dont really need to say more.

Biomods = Enhanced physical abilities (vision, muscles, etc)
Yes again, enhancing a persons physical abilities is basically the whole goal of augmentation.

Biomods = Stealth (stealth, distraction, etc..)
Yes mostly. As long as what is implemented makes sense (stealthy movement for example). I dont really wanna see a jedi mind trick in the game.

Biomods = Integrated tool (hack, disable, repair, remote control etc...)
Ugh, no. Why would one augment ones body to do something that they could do with a tool instead? It also narrows down the game a lot. The only place I could see one of these would be if there was 1 mechanical aug.

Biomods = Summoner (drones, creatures; etc ...)
No. A lot of the mods in DX are not exactly biologically plausable. However the spy drones take the cake in this department. There is no way you could just 'build' a robotic drone in your body. The materials required and space to build it just make it stupid in my opinion.

Biomods = defensive weapons (automated)
Im against automated anything. Turning on an aug and having your enemies die? Not exactly a fun sounding game. Also it has the same problem that occurs with weapons on the body.

Biomods = Utility (light, data storage, health, etc)
Im kinda torn here. The light is obviously something that works already and will return. Datastorage I dont think should be an aug. Health shouldnt be increased. People should have a set health system. Its their job to make sure that doesnt drop down to zero, not to increase it.

Biomods = Psy powers (mind control, telekinesis etc...)
No, no no. How is a nanite, infused into your blood, that can build microstructures in the cells of your body going to allow you to mind control someone or to pick something up with the power of your mind??? It just makes no sense. An augmentation is something that augments and increases the natural abilities of a person. Not something that gives magical powers.

Biomods = Environment control (gravity, material generation, etc)
Same as above. Your character is infused with nanites, not the force.

Well, thats my opinion. I understand if people dont agree with me. But I see deus ex as what will one day become a reality, which is why the first game really struck a chord with me, because it REALLY felt like the not too distant future. We are currently building robotic arms for amputees, we have mechanical ears for the deaf, we are working on an efficient eye model for the blind. Augmentation is the direction we are heading, so this game should be made with practicality of its augmentations in mind. Any aug that enters the game should be able to work theoretically in real life, given the technology is there.

And to add a little more to this post :). As for mechanical augs vs nanite augs. I think this would add a great effect to the game. An agent with augmented legs is going to be a lot louder than one with nanite augmented legs. A nanite augmented agent is going to be able to pass off as a civilian a lot better than a mechanical agent (Imagine some half-man half-machine guy walks into a club. He might draw a little bit of attention to himself.)

There could also be 4 classes of augs. Nanites, Experimental nanites, Mechanical augs, Black-market mechanical augs.

Blade_hunter
28th Jun 2008, 22:30
Thanks for posting :)

I think some explanations about the choices must be added.

Offensive weapons is biomods can act as weapons, but these weapons are controled by us a blade on our arm or a gun integrated to our character enter to this category
We can imagine everything original or more conventional augmentations
The integrated gun is like the famous anime called Cobra we can see Cobra himself with its delta cannon.
The skull gun is one example of this kind of aug too
The weapons can be powerful or ballanced depends what we want.

Defensive biomods is the category of protection devices like the ballistic protection or the agressive defense system or the environmental resistance, the shield etc ...
We can imagine a mod that can disable a LAM that fire electrostatic discharges automatically to disable LAM's ,mines, grenades.

For physical we can imagine to be strong, be quick, the targeting biomod, the vision biomod, the aqualung,

The stealth is stealth by the vision, the sounds, or the fact we don't emit IR etc...

The integrated tool is the mean to control bots, hack, repair or control at distance etc.
we can imagine disable a grenade with this kind of biomod or detonate it but depends what we want
the tool can be used to repair bots, electromechanical devices, or simply our items like weapons, utilities, suits, etc
We can imagine lot of tools but it depends of the gameplay we want and what we want to do with this kind of biomod.

Summoner, this is a mean to create a drone or a creature they can be automated like the spider bots or controlled like the spy drone. if we want we can create rats, cats and whatever.

Defensive weapons the best example is the biotox drone or the fact we can have a body that throw automatically electrostatic discharges, etc theses weapons can be sort of linked drones and integrated weapons that can fire automatically on hostile targets

The utility, the health regeneration, the power recirculator, the synthetic heart (function of course), the light, the infolink, the electrostatic discharge from DX 2 etc... are on this category. if we want to add heat damages, radiation damages it's a form of utility because it needs a weapon or a tool ....

Psy powers, thats power from our mind.... thats close to SS2 or Bioshock powers concept
If we want to knock an enemy by a mental shock or put them to sleep quietly or control an organic NPCs (humans or animals) depends what we want to do

The environment control is the mean to use our biomods to move some items, or duplicate items, use a sort of shockwave, etc....

These are just explanations of what I thought about theses categories, I proposed all of these because I wanted to explore the biomod theme and I sew some suggestions / ideas before propose them even if some doesn't sounds to be kind of biomods or simple biomods.
All things I propose on this post aren't truly suggestions, because I don't give my suggestion's here, my full vision of biomods and what I expect from them...
Theses ideas are mines, from other games,from movis etc ...
I just posted them because most propositions are sewed on games are inspired by other games and the vision of them are the vision from the game where the idea is come from.
Some ideas on this post can sound stupid and others can be applied depends what we want for the game.

Chemix
29th Jun 2008, 00:58
{Thoughts}

Offensive: Bio
Mild Nerve Agent: A non lethal nerve suppressing compound that can be released from re-purposed sweat glands in the form of a mist that causes those caught in it to swagger and loose their aim. Alternatively the player could come from behind and use it like chloroform and cover the person's mouth with their cupped hand.
Strong Nerve Agent: Like the above, but lethal and fast acting

Offensive: Mechanical
Skull Gun: Requiring a full metal grafting to the skull, as well as spinal support columns to be already in place or placed during the application, the skull gun is of course a gun that is physically attached to the skull. With extra metallic supports, it can be mildly disguised, though the head will seem much larger and will have a cone like appearance at the top. The gun takes some time to reload, but is high enough caliber to ensure that it kills most organics in one shot. Good for negotiations...
Arm Cannon: Replacing either the left or right lower arm, the Arm Cannon functions as an internally mounted heavy machine gun and with advancements, a full massive caliber cannon, or can be further modified to an even less arm like state to become a recoilless rifle for anti armor.
Iron Fists: Replacing the organic structure of the hand with an advanced hardened steel fist with movable finger joints and minor touch sensation ability. These greatly improve the strength of melee blows against opponents, but can also be used to hold weapons with cold precision or crush whatever needs crushing... Never know when you might need to crack a few eggs or make an omelet for the greater good
Wrist Blade: A blade mechanism that can be placed on the wrist and forearm on top or below that effectively gives the user a retractable long dagger that cannot be removed from them except by breaking it off (highly unlikely) or expert mechanical removal. Unlike most mechanical augs, it is easily concealed, making it very useful for captured units.

Defensive: Bio
Sub-Dermal Ballistic Protection:A complex web of carbon nano-tubes is produced beneath the surface of the skin, creating an effective net for projectile weapons to hit. Energy, injected, or gas weapons are not affected, though melee damage inflicted on the user is partially absorbed.
Metallic Shield Plates: A more permanent and very visually obvious solution is the growing of partially metallic plates onto the skin. These armor more effective than carbon nano-tube webs, but are more permanent and as such take damage that can only be repaired at a med station.
Nanite Mist:This aug creates a fine fist of nanites that detonate explosive projectiles and eat away at solid ones, but are useless against any other weapon types.

Defensive: Mechanical
Bolted Armor: Extremely tough armor that takes the place of most of the user's skin, only leaving their feat, hands, and face, unhindered. This slows the player down a bit, but protects them from light arms fire to their torso, legs or arms as well as injections (except in sites mentioned) and some energy weapons. It requires a repair bot, med station, or mechanic to repair though.
Plasma Field Generator: Plasma can burn away gases, detonate explosives, even reduce the effects of energy weapons, but bullets and other solid projectiles smolder and melt, causing damage from impact (lessened) and heat damage that mildly dissipates. It uses up a fair bit of energy, so prolonged use requires constant recharging.
Magnetic Field Generator: Using projected magnetic fields, bullets can be led to bend their paths around the target, or with enough power, to reflect some entirely (with reduced speed and range). It has no effect on non solid projectiles though and is power hungry.
Shock Supports: A series of shock absorbing systems throughout the body that allows the user to sustain high impact and falling speeds.

jcp28
29th Jun 2008, 22:18
I think 8 or 9 augs would be adequate.

As for kinds of augs, I think that defensive and stealth would work the best. I might be okay with defensive attacks and summoner abilities, but they would have to be implemented in such a way as to be limited.

As for augs, Chemix has already listed some excellent ones, of which a few probably won't make it to the final game. I'm no expert on this, but there's a still a few I can think of in the stealth category.

-We can have some kind of thermoptic camo type aug. For challenge and realism's sake, it would naturally have to suck up a lot of energy. Otherwise, the game could become too easy after it's found.

-I also think we could send some sort of electronic disruption device out, but that sounds more like the kind of thing that should be portable and fairly uncommon. If anybody has a good idea on how to implement a similar system supported by augs, then by all means say something.

-The Run Silent aug for DX1 could be valuable if you're going for stealth.

The others are either pointless/make the game too easy(utility) or go into the realm of the curreently impossible(psionics)

Chemix
29th Jun 2008, 23:08
Enhancers: Bio
Micro Fiber Musculature: A series of cross hatched tension fibers that can be electrically stimulated to pull much harder than human muscle tissues can. They are capable of faster running, heavier lifting and harder hitting, but each major action takes up a lot of energy, and pushing the body too far can destroy tissue, causing major damage.
Hyperactive Retina Sensors: By super-stimulating the human retina this aug makes night vision clear as daylight, but without color and damage to ocular tissue when exposed to bright light.
Cerebral Stimulant: By introducing high nutrient fluids to the brain and artificially stimulating the frontal lobe, fast thinking can occur where time seems to slow down, just a little, and enemies stand out more, as well as their weapons and projectiles. Coupled with the fiber musculature, it can make for a speedy and highly aware agent that is almost untouchable by mere normal humans.
Stem Cell Distribution: Using the stem cells in human fat, nanites can carry stem masses to wounded locations to generate quick healing. Such complex behaviors are very power consuming to calculate.

Enhancers: Mech
Advanced Cybernetic Pneumatics: Replacing many large muscles and some bones with robotic counterparts seems extreme, but so are the results. Small arms fire no longer does significant damage to most of the limbs and even the outer torso. Also, strength is now extreme, and damage resulting from over strain is not an issue. It improves jump height, but running speed is slowed. It also allows for the steady handling of weapons, particularly heavy weapons.
Jump Jet: A small short range jet pack requires a mechanically strengthened spine, but gives a massive increase to mobility. It is meant mostly for lunge attacks or getting to high places, not for any sustained flight. As a bonus anyone caught in close proximity to it when used will be severely burned. The jets are powered by bio fuels present in the body, but converting them takes quite some energy and over consumption of the body's natural fuels will damage it, much like starvation would.
Sonar System: Using the human ears as receivers, a device implanted in the upper neck translates sound into topographic data, allowing the user a wide range of view no matter the conditions. It uses up relatively little power in comparison to many mechanical augs.
Advanced Ocular Replacement: Replacing one or both eyes is an advanced high definition series of sensors, including a camera, night vision, situation data (health) and a transmitter to transmit digit codes to locks just out of reach. On the downside, EMP attacks remove half your vision and disable all of this aug's abilities. Signal transmission also eats up a decent amount of power and doesn't always work as it requires the electricity to get to the lock remotely, and it can be interrupted during the jump.

AaronJ
30th Jun 2008, 02:47
An equal balance of all for the different types of players and the MASSIVE replay value.

jordan_a
30th Jun 2008, 04:02
The issue with biomodification is that it makes the game too easy. It should rather offer different possibilities than simplify the game: it's very difficult to balance the level of a game though.

Chemix
30th Jun 2008, 16:09
I've attempted to create relative downsides to all of my suggestions. As for equal balance, I believe in balance, but I hate to see equivalents that do exactly the same thing, but are mech rather than bio, or bio rather than mech. There's still utilities to get done when I find time

Fen
30th Jun 2008, 16:37
The issue with biomodification is that it makes the game too easy. It should rather offer different possibilities than simplify the game: it's very difficult to balance the level of a game though.

I agree with this comment that some of the augs in the previous two games have been insanely overpowered. Things like total invisibility to people shouldnt be available. They just have to be tested a bit to make sure they arent providing players with an easy button.

To Chemix, Love you ideas.

Blade_hunter
30th Jun 2008, 18:33
There is great proposes I don't have exactly the same proposes, and I think propose biomods with some counter purpose can be better but the idea of differentiate the mech augs and nano augmentations is a great new feature, I've thought about some true "biomods" a sort of controlled mutation of a member part or enhancement, like get a tentacle instead of our arm, got some scales in our skin

We can get 3 different categories
Biomods
Nano augmentations
Mech augmentations
And maybe the black market slot version (mechanical, biological and Nanites)

I don't think the biological implants or some DNA extracts, that will come Biological mods is a great think but I think it can be an addition to mech and nano augmentations...

As you say some biomods like the invisibility aren't balanced, and if the graphic engine allows new things like with water or paint we can use a good counter part to the invisibility, and see the AI throw paint because they thought we are on a certain location will be new, or more simple, NPC's with devices that allow us and them to see invisible people, I think about goggles or items like this.

the invivibility allows us to be invisible to people but not to bots and mechanical devices like the cams ....

With the Unreal engine 3 I think it's possible because Bioshock have a good liquids management and it's an Unreal engine feature ... for the Tomb Raider engine I'm not so sure to the expansion of this management.

Chemix
30th Jun 2008, 20:30
I'm glad they are appreciated

As a note, the following ideas may be a bit stranger or less likely than anything above
Utilities: Bio
Adhesive Padding: Based on gecko toe pads, a series of micro hair clusters are grown on the skin of the user, which allows them to climb or run on walls or ceilings, but at the same time it makes weapon switching much slower and grenade throwing almost impossible. The hairs that are created don't last much longer than a dozen minutes, and require a lot of energy to be regrown. They can not be removed except by wearing them out.
Nanite Infestation: By releasing nanites into an electrical system, it can be shorted out, possibly disabling lights or locking mechanisms (effectively sealing keypad doors) or even causing damage to high level robotic circuitry causing it to go haywire and shoot anything, or just shut down (random chance).

Utilities: Mech
Swiss Army Arm: A replacement for the left or right arm that effectively acts as a soldering device for easy on hand rewiring to bypass keypads, an electronic interface tool for various machines and robots, an automatic lock pick, a screwdriver and a small circular saw as well as TASER. The problems being that it prevents the use of 2 handed weapons, takes up a moderate amount of energy for any complex action.
Body Storage: A series of small compartments built into the user that can carry items that one would not want to loose after being captured, like lock picks, small firearms or multi-tools. It also offers a small bonus to total storage space by offering space for specific small items.

Blade_hunter
30th Jun 2008, 21:09
I'm glad they are appreciated

As a note, the following ideas may be a bit stranger or less likely than anything above
Utilities: Bio
Adhesive Padding: Based on gecko toe pads, a series of micro hair clusters are grown on the skin of the user, which allows them to climb or run on walls or ceilings, but at the same time it makes weapon switching much slower and grenade throwing almost impossible. The hairs that are created don't last much longer than a dozen minutes, and require a lot of energy to be regrown. They can not be removed except by wearing them out.

LOL climbing walls like spiderman :D

Nanite Infestation: By releasing nanites into an electrical system, it can be shorted out, possibly disabling lights or locking mechanisms (effectively sealing keypad doors) or even causing damage to high level robotic circuitry causing it to go haywire and shoot anything, or just shut down (random chance).

I've thought about remove fuses for this kind of action I don't know if I posted a thing like this in interactivity posts

Utilities: Mech
Swiss Army Arm: A replacement for the left or right arm that effectively acts as a soldering device for easy on hand rewiring to bypass keypads, an electronic interface tool for various machines and robots, an automatic lock pick, a screwdriver and a small circular saw as well as TASER. The problems being that it prevents the use of 2 handed weapons, takes up a moderate amount of energy for any complex action.

I wanted to use powered tool as items I prepared a lot of items in a list with their functions and some items needs a plug and are limited by a cord and others like a chainsaw and some drillers are autonomous (needs a battery or fuel)

Body Storage: A series of small compartments built into the user that can carry items that one would not want to loose after being captured, like lock picks, small firearms or multi-tools. It also offers a small bonus to total storage space by offering space for specific small items.

I never thought about it but it can transforms ourself like ROBOCOP with it's pistol store on its tights

Some ideas are funny :)

Kevyne-Shandris
30th Jun 2008, 21:28

And come to think of it, I didn't really use that many augs, even. The power recycler/health/muscle/bullet deflection were about all I ever used. And it was the health and muscle augs that really got used the most.

So for me "helper" augs are what I'd use, as fighting I'd be sniping (and with that, the only aug I would want is a steadier aim). :cool:

Fen
1st Jul 2008, 08:26
And come to think of it, I didn't really use that many augs, even. The power recycler/health/muscle/bullet deflection were about all I ever used. And it was the health and muscle augs that really got used the most.

So for me "helper" augs are what I'd use, as fighting I'd be sniping (and with that, the only aug I would want is a steadier aim). :cool:

This was probably more due to the fact that you could only upgrade a few augs all the way, so most of your augs were useless..

I think it was a flaw in the first game that people would do this. In the end you would have a few augs which were fully upgraded, and the rest were still at level one. This was because the benefits of upgrading one aug to level 4 outweight leveling 3 augs to level 2. I would like to see the viability of this to be increased in the next game (of course in dx2, you had everything maxed and nanocontainers to spare within 1 hour of the game, which was just stupid)

Kevyne-Shandris
1st Jul 2008, 16:44
This was probably more due to the fact that you could only upgrade a few augs all the way, so most of your augs were useless..

It was due to that since I loved snipering the most, the other augs really didn't have a point. Health was needed in case of tripping on a patrol (or landing hard from a building), or the levels like the tunnels where snipering wasn't practical. Bullet deflection to survive such encounters better. Muscle to move crates. Power recycler because the augs ate so much power.

Only years later did I experiment with the drone and other augs, but weren't very impressed. It wasn't my game style.

Whatever augs they'll impliment into the game, I just hope they're useful for many play styles. That fighting in the game isn't just trying to fend off a mob up close and personal only (like F.E.A.R. -- nice sniper and long range weapons, but too many construction interiors to not make good use of them. They only shine in specific MP maps).

In DX in the Warehouse district, I could get up on the first building and sniper the specks in the com tower w-a-y away (and see their ant like buddies dance around when one is shot dead from the scope). Not many games have a specific sniper map, nor allow you to pick targets soooo far away (because they introduce fog now, which isn't the case in reality. Either you see the target or not).

Blade_hunter
6th Jul 2008, 01:00
I think most biomods should be added after all when we play to DX 1 and DX 2 we don't make the same choices about the biomods, we don't use the same equipment, because we don't have the same playstyle, because DX was the first game that will regroup different kind of players, and it's for that reason when I want to propose some ideas to expand the game, I didn't think only for my playstyle, I will think for others playstyles too even if sometimes I don't think correctly, because in DX I will try to use some playstyle mechanics that I never used.

Biomods = Offensive weapons (controlled) 9 60.00%
Biomods = Defense / protection (protect against a damage type) 13 86.67%
Biomods = Enhanced physical abilities (vision, muscles, etc) 13 86.67%
Biomods = Stealth (stealth, distraction, etc..) 12 80.00%
Biomods = Integrated tool (hack, disable, repair, remote control etc...) 9 60.00%
Biomods = Summoner (drones, creatures; etc ...) 4 26.67%
Biomods = Defensive weapons (automated) 5 33.33%
Biomods = Utility (light, data storage, health, etc) 12 80.00%
Biomods = Psy powers (mind control, telekinesis etc...) 5 33.33%
Biomods = Environment control (gravity, material generation, etc) 4 26.67%

When I see the votes the majority wants:

Weapons
Defenses systems
Physical abilities
Stealth mods
Tools
Utility

The minority wants:

Call, summon, create drones or creatures
Automatic weapons
Psy powers
Environment control

Most of theses categories exists on DX 1 I want to list them for more clarity

Defense systems
Physical abilities
Stealth mods
Summoner
Utility

In DX 2 we have

Defense systems
Physical abilities
Stealth mods
Summoner
Tools (some of them replaces the skills)
Utility
Defensive weapons

In SS2 we have psi powers and all things can be listed on the same categories

Weapons
Defenses systems
Physical abilities
Stealth mods
Tools
Utility
Psi powers

In Bioshock we have (I exlude the tonics because they are more a sort of skill than a power like a biomod)

Weapons
Summoner
Psi powers
Environment control (I think the cyclone trap is one this kind of power)

I think I said what I wanted to say about the powers present in theses games

Blade_hunter
17th Jul 2008, 22:01
About passive and active biomods
How much biomods can be passive (activated automatically when we need them of course)
And others always stay as active biomods

I think the nexts biomods from DX series can work as passive

Microfibral muscle (passive for carrying heavy items only)
Aqualung (when we are under water)
Environmental resistance (when we are in a hazard zone)
Regeneration (when we loose health)
Synthetic heart (when we use a biomod)
Power recirculator (when we use a biomod)

They use energy when activated unlike some DX 2 passive biomods

If they can be used automatically we can disable the automatism and use them manually even if the automatic mode still active

We can expand this thing to some biomods, but I don't know if the automatism make them too powerful and maybe breaks the tactical use of them.
I think it's important to know this kind of detail

Fen
18th Jul 2008, 12:18
Im not really a fan of passive biomods.

The mods are designed to chew up your energy. A passive mod of course cannot chew through your bioenergy and is more along the lines of a skill rather than an augmentation.

Blade_hunter
18th Jul 2008, 13:12
Most of them in DX 2 are more suited to be skills I agree with you to this point, but the Idea that I try to propose isn't the DX 2 thing like the neural interface or run silent that never use the bioenergy.
I try to put some biomods a la DX 1 with a configurable automatic activation, not all biomods, but the list I mentioned.
And the biomods eats always energy like as you mentioned in your post.
This kind of activation can add some handle to use them, but I want to see if someone is against to see some biomods with an automatic activation.

jcp28
18th Jul 2008, 20:47
I don't really think we need auto activation for our biomods. It might seem more conveinent, but there's just something intangible about it that I don't like. It might work for augs like Regeneration, but I couldn't see Microfibral Muscle just turning on when I get next to a crate.

There are still a few like environmental resistance that I could see might turn on automatically. But I assume that they would still eat up energy.

Tracer Tong
18th Jul 2008, 22:14
The last two types of auggies (psy and environment controlling) do NOT belong to a game like this. We are talking DX here. At least keep it realistic, it's not Mass Effect or Star Wars...

I liked the spy drone a lot but it was pretty useless in DX1, if they'd implement something that would let us overhear conversations or see passwords in unreachable places, it would be awesome. I sincerely don't care about the whole realism of creating it (heck, why can't it return back to your body and if it doesn't then you'll need a repair bot to rebuild it? Would be more realistic)

Blade_hunter
19th Jul 2008, 23:39
The spy drone will be built by ourself, it's for that reason we have a delay when we lose the spy drone, and when ready we can launch a new drone.

I have some ideas about biomods and skills but not a sort of passive biomods a la DX 2 as i suggested in the previous post even if the DX 2 idea can be applied but with some biomods in DX 1 like the info link or the IFF

I want to give some ideas (some can be from the game SS2)

1/ The interface

I don't want too many changes, but the screen preview of DX 2 HUD and some suggestions with 8 slots of biomods will make this idea

I think we the biomods we can make the same thing as the weapon bar of DX 1

We can put 8 selected biomods that can be accessed by the F buttons from a keyboard
Choose the biomods with an easy access button like DX.
Some biomods that doesn't needs to be chosen with a quick access button can work like the next thing:

When we press a button that allow us to see a sort of menu in each sides of the screen, that leave the center of the screen free of any element that can block the view.
With this menu we can use the mouse to choose the biomods that aren't in the shortcut bar.
when we release the button the menu will be disappear and we can do the task that we wanted to do, for example the spydrone isn't a biomod useful in combat, or in walking situations, this mod can be a mod that can justify the action of this kind of interface.

For a console we can press the button an use the stick to select a biomod (the stick must thrust the location of the biomod in the screen) and press the fire button to activate the biomod.

2/ Special new element

I have an idea but it's difficult to choose a right thing to apply this, but I want to make some explanations about it

In DX we have some default biomods like the IFF and the Info link that can act as passive biomods, but with no slot use
I want to make some special slots for special upgrades (Software ? Hardware ?) a thing that can give a special ability or complete the skills or a biomod if we want to make a more versatile thing, but the base idea is to give some special abilities with skills and this special element.

3/ The skills

I think like DX 1 we must separate the skills and the biomods even if we can found a link between the skills and the biomods

The Microfibral muscle
In DX 2 it looks more to be a strength skill than a biomod
In DX 1 it's a pure biomod

I think we can use a strength skill and a microfibral muscle as separate stuff

the skill is more an human skill (the maximum give us the maximum human strength)
The biomod is a sort of much better amplifier for the heavy tasks purpose like carrying heavy stuff or deal much better damage with melee and throwing stuff

Abram730
14th Oct 2008, 19:52
The last two types of auggies (psy and environment controlling) do NOT belong to a game like this. We are talking DX here. At least keep it realistic, it's not Mass Effect or Star Wars...

I liked the spy drone a lot but it was pretty useless in DX1, if they'd implement something that would let us overhear conversations or see passwords in unreachable places, it would be awesome. I sincerely don't care about the whole realism of creating it (heck, why can't it return back to your body and if it doesn't then you'll need a repair bot to rebuild it? Would be more realistic)

I wouldn't prioritize it, but it is scientifically plausible to have possession.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75448&page=5

portable nanomanufacture for bots would be the technology that would be stretching what is possible in 2027 quite a bit. I think it would be more the age of hybrid augmented microbes, single use/reusable drones and mechanical modification. I just think that building on the atomic level will require a facility or microbes. Microbes are a bit limited and have drawbacks.
The Dawn of the Living, Talking Robots
http://www.jyi.org/features/ft.php?id=285
I, bacterium: how bugs can become robots
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2005/05/04/ecfbug04.xml&page=1
A bacteria Living camera with 100 megapixels per square inch has been made
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8365
Harnessing microbes, one by one, to build a better nanoworld
http://www.news.wisc.edu/10831
Using bacteria as medical robots
http://www.primidi.com/2008/03/02.html

reusable bots would be more then plausible. there are now robots that eat to produce electricity
Fly-eating robot powers itself
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/12/27/explorers.ecobot/index.html

So a robot to consume the dead to produce bio electric energy could be done.. perhapses a choice between fast health Regen/charging up batteries/ spy drone. Perhaps bots could require an aug and a stack of drones and a stack takes the uber out of it as you would need to be careful not to loose the costly buggers. One emp, flame, nad and pop goes the drone.. "crap that was my last one".

healing possibilities.. (active)Drone collects stemcells and reprograms the wetware(DNA)/bacterial robots to reconstruct the body on the fly(your passive Regen).
bioelectric extractor drone
spy drone

PS:
The start of mechanical augs
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7423184.stm