PDA

View Full Version : radically different main storylines

qwijibo80
25th Jun 2008, 18:13
Ok, we've all heard the speculation on these forums. Prequel, requel, sequel, tequel...wait, one too many.

By now, the devs have already figured out a storyline, so it doesn't really matter what we think or propose. But I submit that the main storyline need not be tied directly to the Dentons nor conform to the types of storylines seen in DX1 and IW.

Scenario 1:

The protagonist is a member of the Mole People of DX. Perhaps he was born there, and has little understanding of the outside world. This is feasible, since the collapse has presumably cut off many people from each other. Blah blah blah he undercovers some stuff, gets involved in conspiracies.

Scenario 2:

The protagonist is one of the initial investors in VersaLife, helping to take it to IPO. He's a child of privilege until he's contacted by an important character from either of the previous two games. Now he has to choose between the company he helped to birth or the powers that seek to control augs etc.

As a forum with a lot of creative people I know we can expand on this list. Any ideas? Go wild; it need not be same old stuff over and over again.

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 20:24
Well going the other way there has always been the Maggie Chow and Paul Denton baby theory. It doesn't seem likely specially cause they already wasted that on lin-may chen. I want to see an anna and gunther off-spring to be honest. It would be kinda lame. I would like to at least hear about something that happened to Leo Gold. I did enjoy the coffee wars but it was stupid to make it apart of the same corperation, WE GET IT ALREADY. BOXES ON TOP OF ONE BOX! Lets see some real corperation wars. Information trading with some REAL people instead of holographic.

---- Time Passed ----

I would think it would be good to drop all the corp names from the past almost like a, yeah thats right cover up instead make nicknames for them when used in conversation call versalife something like microtech. like a massive cover up. coordinate by tracer tong before he died. If it is a game in which is in the future more then tong should be dead, and maybe even paul and/or jd. I mean you have to kill of characters some how, and if you kill off any characters please give a video of there death or something. It connects people to the game more.

jcp28
25th Jun 2008, 20:57
No way. It wouldn't even make sense if it wasn't tied in somehow, unless it was a sequel. In which case, Paul and JC could very well be dead. But they are iconic enough that I just can't see them getting killed off.

AaronJ
26th Jun 2008, 02:08
By now, the devs have already figured out a storyline

That thought destroys all sanity and restraint and would turn me into the Tazmanian Devil if it weren't for the LOOMING ALMOST INEVITABILITY OF A GOD DAMN PREQUEL.

Tsumaru
26th Jun 2008, 04:26
Tasmanian Devils are cool little creatures. I went to see one at the zoo back in primary school, and it just kept running laps around the enclosure. Just around and around. And around and around. Fast little bugger, too.

Anyway, on-topic. Obviously it won't be DX without the following:
1. Some form of conspiracy SOMEWHERE. Where things aren't what they seem.
2. Bioaugmentations.
3. Ability to make choices.

I don't really think anything else is absolutely necessary - including the Dentons, beyond a vague reference. I really don't think we need to meet and talk to JC again. That will just limit the creativity of the game. Yes, sure, he was awesome. But you're just going to end up hating him like you did in Invisible War. Let him rest in peace in his grand legacy, rather then constantly digging him up and dragging him head-first through another game done by different developers and then complaining about how he turned out at the end of it.

Maximus
26th Jun 2008, 04:28
If I was going to write the story for this, I would have it taking place at the same time as Deus Ex 1, and for a bit afterwards. Imagine going through areas recently vacated by JC Denton, or taking part in the NSF raid on the ambrosia in the first level? Imagine surviving a massive collapse, and trying to save your family from disease in city thats tearing itself apart.

Anything like that would be cool, give context to the adventures of DX 1 and be a great nostalgic trip.

Maximus

SemiAnonymous
26th Jun 2008, 07:09
If we see JC, there is only one way I would be satisfied with it. When encountered, you are talking to a hologram/speaker/whatever, because his organic body has long ago been destroyed, and his consciousness has now been moved into Helios somehow. It would be especially cool if you come from a lower family, and by pure luck, end up in a nanoaug group (accidently got into the wrong line, whatever), and JC is treated in game like a sort of...god. You always think that he has a physical body, but when you finally encounter him, you just meet a large, empty room, save for a single screen.

Red
26th Jun 2008, 11:00
The very worst thing they could do IMO - is introducing time travel and filling us with such stupid gimmicks like visiting past events in IW and DX1 or obstructing the biopolitical voting (2027) or... well you name it.

DXeXodus
26th Jun 2008, 12:19
If we see JC, there is only one way I would be satisfied with it. When encountered, you are talking to a hologram/speaker/whatever, because his organic body has long ago been destroyed, and his consciousness has now been moved into Helios somehow. It would be especially cool if you come from a lower family, and by pure luck, end up in a nanoaug group (accidently got into the wrong line, whatever), and JC is treated in game like a sort of...god. You always think that he has a physical body, but when you finally encounter him, you just meet a large, empty room, save for a single screen.

I think that is a good idea. I have said all along that a storyline running parallel to that of the original would be great. There is just so much to draw from.

mad_red
26th Jun 2008, 15:41
Here´s a not-so-radically-different story:

The game takes place after the collapse and you're Paul Denton :rasp:

You have to haul JC's behind to antarctica, install his personal nanotech sanitation apparatus (slight oversight there), reestablish the net, create backdoors in secure government and non-gov facilities, found apostlecorp, stay undercover, dodge recruiters, check out the Omar, all the while running for your life from the homocidical vodka-guzzling rogue Russian greasy green Omar greasel.

Or how about - you're the prototype. A volunteer that doesn't get the whole story on how he/she's going to be a guinea pig for nano augmentations. You get injected with nanobots, and your body starts rejecting them. You may get stronger and more augmented over time, but you're actually dying. Your patrons decide to terminate you, but you escape with the help of rogue elements. Next thing you know, they want to experiment on you too! The story ends with you meeting a frood named Arthur Dent, who will tell you to Don't Panic and promises you a way out. The final scene suggestively portrays Arthur Dent as the original genetic host of the Denton clones!

(I love tie-ins)

GruntOwner
26th Jun 2008, 16:31
Alternate Future: Page merged with Helios, though was unable to process everything at once, leading to huge neglect to "less significant aspects of imperfect society", leading to a rebellion. You begin as an operative for Majestic 12, a new force dedicated to the preservasion of justice and rooting out insurgents, so the malevolant Bob Page and his Helios assistant can act for universal betterment unobstructed by followers of JC Denton, The deluded phychopath who attemepted to matyre himself during Page's ascendence. You soon discover the truth that it was not Denton who destryed the ambrosia vaccine, nor was it him who instructed the operatives of X51 to produce the black plague in the first place. You join with Paul to show everyone the truth, though it soon becomes possible to act against his wishes and join with the illuminati, responsible for the assassination of xenophobic extremist and former crimelord, Tracer Tong. Do you go with Denton and trigger the collapse? Do you remove tong's final infulence and kill Paul? Do you unlock your full psionic potential and become the puppetmaster of Page? Do you set the earth alight with the fire of its own ambition, With greasels and karkian in the street, a nuclear winter as well as triggering the collapse, leading humanity to a fresh start with nothing but their own potential and the ruins of a civilisation past?

jamesthefishy
26th Jun 2008, 20:13
Here´s a not-so-radically-different story:

The game takes place after the collapse and you're Paul Denton :rasp:

You have to haul JC's behind to antarctica, install his personal nanotech sanitation apparatus (slight oversight there), reestablish the net, create backdoors in secure government and non-gov facilities, found apostlecorp, stay undercover, dodge recruiters, check out the Omar, all the while running for your life from the homocidical vodka-guzzling rogue Russian greasy green Omar greasel.

Or how about - you're the prototype. A volunteer that doesn't get the whole story on how he/she's going to be a guinea pig for nano augmentations. You get injected with nanobots, and your body starts rejecting them. You may get stronger and more augmented over time, but you're actually dying. Your patrons decide to terminate you, but you escape with the help of rogue elements. Next thing you know, they want to experiment on you too! The story ends with you meeting a frood named Arthur Dent, who will tell you to Don't Panic and promises you a way out. The final scene suggestively portrays Arthur Dent as the original genetic host of the Denton clones!

(I love tie-ins)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dent Dude lame tie-in.

mad_red
26th Jun 2008, 20:41
Every time I hear the name Denton I can't but think of Arthur Dent. Besides, Helios is Deep Thought.

GruntOwner... Awesome.

v.dog
29th Jun 2008, 05:48
While JC might be a hoopy frood who knows where his towel's at, Dues Ex is not that sort of game.

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jun 2008, 20:00
As a forum with a lot of creative people I know we can expand on this list. Any ideas? Go wild; it need not be same old stuff over and over again.

DX:IW was a nightmare, and JC awoke.

DX:IW belongs in the trash heap. That world just needs to go the route of Project Snowblind.