PDA

View Full Version : *nix support...

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 12:02
Linux/Unix/BSD support would make this game loved by all linux gamers like myself. A native or hell even a port would be awesome. Just a suggestion. I know you can use wine for the original deus ex and the second one is too graphical for me to run via emulation, anyone else know how IW wines?

Dragonlord
9th Sep 2008, 09:43
Okay, this post is old but I have the same question and as it seems no answer has been given yet.

Are there any plans for a Linux client?
How likely would such a Linux client be?

DXeXodus
9th Sep 2008, 09:52
I believe that it is only going to be for PC, PS3 and XBOX360. No Linux support has been confirmed. I highly doubt that it will be supported however.

El_Bel
9th Sep 2008, 10:16
Thats a same, linux is a small but dedicated market!!

Igoe
9th Sep 2008, 17:29
So use Wine, derr.

Blade_hunter
9th Sep 2008, 19:14
Emulators uses more resources than a direct port, and why not for Linux users ? even if they need to wait, but a linux port will be fine
I think PC covers Linux too not only windows, and with wine the compatibility isn't completely sure, I think linux users are clients like windows users.
And look about UT3 linux port http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_Tournament_3
I think Eidos can do the same

El_Bel
9th Sep 2008, 20:53
I would like to know how much more work is needed to create a linux port. I dont think its more than a month work. And i do believe the linux market is a good one. So there will surely be financial gain (if not at least they will not loose money) and the company is going to get some new devoted fans!!

Blade_hunter
10th Sep 2008, 15:08
Much linux users are forced to stay with windows because there is an insufficient number of softwares being ported to linux, this is the fault of software editors if linux can't have a much larger community, because the majority of PC users have windows but many wants to switch to linux and they can't because many softwares are for windows only, and this problem isn't only with linux it's the same for the mac.

If windows leads the market of the Operating systems on todays it's because, we have much more softwares for windows than Linux.

I think made the same thing as UT 2k4 (multiple ports for PCs) is a great thing because all aren't forced to use a specific OS

gamer0004
10th Sep 2008, 15:25
Much linux users are forced to stay with windows because there is an insufficient number of softwares being ported to linux, this is the fault of software editors if linux can't have a much larger community, because the majority of PC users have windows but many wants to switch to linux and they can't because many softwares are for windows only, and this problem isn't only with linux it's the same for the mac.

If windows leads the market of the Operating systems on todays it's because, we have much more softwares for windows than Linux.

I think made the same thing as UT 2k4 (multiple ports for PCs) is a great thing because all aren't forced to use a specific OS

Exactly. I really dislike Windows since first Vista (which proved they were starting to ruin everything that made Windows better than Mac) and their behaviour towards paying customers. I want to use Linux, but then I can't play all the games I like...

K^2
10th Sep 2008, 17:20
I would like to know how much more work is needed to create a linux port. I dont think its more than a month work. And i do believe the linux market is a good one. So there will surely be financial gain (if not at least they will not loose money) and the company is going to get some new devoted fans!!
Well, the fact that they targeted PC, 360, and PS3 is a good sign of portability. For example, if PS3 wasn't on that list, I'd say forget about it, because it would be so rigidly set around DirectX. But PS3 doesn't run that, so the graphics is probably at least somewhat modular. Same goes for the init code and some of the environment-related stuff. 360 and PC are similar, but PS3 is completely different. The fact that it runs on PC, besides 360 and PS3, also tells you that it is flexible as far as CPU goes. 360 and PS3 both have PPC cores, but PC will be an x86.

So porting the core Crystal Dynamics engine to Linux platform should be a reasonable task. Most of the work would be in re-writing the graphics code for OpenGL and getting user I/O from Linux environment instead of Windows. (Yes, I'd start with Windows version.) The big question is whether even that would be profitable. I've seen a few smaller companies do ports like that for some other games. Many far less popular than DX franchise. So there might be a small hope for a port, but only if Eidos risks outsourcing it to another company. I also don't think they'd start on it until they see sales on other platforms. So if there will ever be a port, it will be at least 6 months behind the PC, PS3, and 360.

Dragonlord
10th Sep 2008, 21:45
There is somebody ( company, know somebody from them ) around that helps in Linux porting. So if they wanted to outsource it I would know where to point them to. It would though be easier for them to tackle it internally. After all Linux is not that much different from Windows once you have OpenGL code working.

jordan_a
12th Sep 2008, 00:26
New! Linux (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77708)

Dragonlord
12th Sep 2008, 12:10
New! Linux (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77708)
What gives? Why a dead-loop post? :D

K^2
12th Sep 2008, 15:52
What gives? Why a dead-loop post? :D
He always does that. It means he added this link to the list of threads.

It would though be easier for them to tackle it internally. After all Linux is not that much different from Windows once you have OpenGL code working.
Oh, I'm sure Eidos Montreal coders can handle the port. But Eidos might want them on another project, instead. That's why ports like that are often outsourced to 3rd party. The easier the port, the more likely it is to be outsourced.

binlargin
12th Sep 2008, 23:05
WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator(!)

I think copy protection and D3D only will be the most likely things to prevent you from running it under WINE. If it's for PS3 then I guess the game engine must support OpenGL, just pray that OpenGL is supported in the Win32 release then it might actually run under WINE.

I would like to know how much more work is needed to create a linux port. I dont think its more than a month work. And i do believe the linux market is a good one.
Deploying binaries and shared objects to all the different flavours of Linux would be a total minefield and would take a lot longer than a month to test. Unices don't play too well with binary releases, there's just far too many configurations out there. For best results you really have to compile from source, and there's no chance of Eidos releasing the source.
Also, all the different flavours of Linux put together account for about 1% of the desktop market. Expect a Mac version (2%) before a Linux one.

Dragonlord
13th Sep 2008, 12:53
It's true that binaries can "sometimes" cause troubles but if done right it's manageable. Furthermore various games including ID Software ones run under Linux without major problems no matter what distro you run them with. So that's not the problem. Besides if you have troubles with this part of the equation there are people out there helping in porting to Linux.

K^2
14th Sep 2008, 04:20
Yeah. It's hard to have an installer that will be universal, but that's why Id Software's releases work regardless. You don't need an installer from these. You can simply copy the files to directory manually and run them. It doesn't matter which directory, since it uses relative paths.

Other than that, as long as you stick to mainstream libraries, like OpenGL, and compile it with most generic X commands, it should have no trouble running on any distro.

@binlargin, I don't think PS3 actually uses OpenGL. It might be OGL-based, but you wouldn't be able to simply grab graphics code for PS3 and use it for a Win32 program.

binlargin
14th Sep 2008, 05:38
@binlargin, I don't think PS3 actually uses OpenGL. It might be OGL-based, but you wouldn't be able to simply grab graphics code for PS3 and use it for a Win32 program.
Yep, it uses some variant of OpenGL ES 2.0 I think like the PS2, one thing's for sure it doesn't use the Microsoft XNA route which I imagine would be quite awkward to get running under Linux.
My thinking is that if OpenGL is supported by the game engine, the Windows version has more chance of having the option to run in OpenGL, so it would be more likely to run under WINE.
I know this is pretty shaky reasoning but it's much better than if it was Xbox360 and Windows only, it would be logical to assume XNA with no chance of it running in Linux for a decade or so.

CarloGervasi
15th Sep 2008, 08:14
Linux isn't worth it. The userbase is way too small, and the number of gamers using Linux who would purchase Deus Ex 3 would be even smaller. And this is coming from a guy who writes big chunks of code for Ubuntu and a lot of other open source projects, so I'm not just hating on Linux or anything. It just isn't viable. Plus, the average Linux user is known to be a lot more tech-savvy than the average Windows user, which is no comfort to game execs that are already so frightened of piracy that they're using asinine DRM and moving to SAAS models.

Dragonlord
15th Sep 2008, 17:40
Way to toot into the M$ crap-horn of "Linux are all crackers!". I expected more from you. There are many gamers out there who would like to play on Linux to not have to dual-boot into a crappy OS just for gaming. The problems are NOT the Linux users being few... the problems are the game developers NOT making games for this platform. Taking away the chocolate for a group of peoples doesn't make those people chocolate haters but the one doing so is a hypocrite.

Granted the problem is a bit more complex in reality than this ( for those in the knows that is ) and so the fix is not easy ( far from, it's a long road to travel ) but offloading the blame all on the Linux gamers is just calling for it.

CarloGervasi
15th Sep 2008, 18:08
I didn't say all Linux users are crackers, I said that it's how game execs feel about it. It is.

K^2
16th Sep 2008, 21:50
Linux user-platform is going to grow dramatically in the next few years. Many governments are not happy with Windows. Russian Federation, for example, has passed some laws requiring all machines in government organization to be running open source OS by some time in 2009, if my memory serves me well. Other governments are making similar moves. This will very quickly propagate to businesses, because all of the official tax-related software will be Linux-based. From there, home users will follow. Linux will become primary PC OS in Russia within a few years from there.

Other governments are making similar moves. I'm sure Microsoft will have a strong enough foothold in US and Western Europe, but if Eastern Europe and Asia will switch to Linux, the game market will develop pretty fast.

binlargin
17th Sep 2008, 00:44
Linux user-platform is going to grow dramatically in the next few years.
Even if Linux takes a share of the corporate desktop market, it will be a long time before the home PC market follows suit.
Linux makes a crappy desktop OS because of cultural reasons. Nobody wants to work on the boring bits of open source software that make it easy to use, Linux desktop hackers don't do usability studies and have thousands of old folks with arthritis mis-clicking away at their creations (like M$ or Apple do), they don't write the same thing in ten different places in the help files because they don't assume that users don't want to read the manual, they assume their users are as smart as they are rather than completely stupid idiots.
Corporate desktop users are forced to live with really crummy bespoke apps and if they don't like it or can't use it, they are forced to take a training course. Home users have the freedom to choose and for a long time to come they'll choose the easy option.

K^2
17th Sep 2008, 02:31
A big enough fraction of people will be forced to use Linux at work, though. What kind of OS do you think most of these will have on their home machines? Remember, this is how Windows ended up dominant OS in the first place.

Dragonlord
17th Sep 2008, 02:32
Linux makes a crappy desktop OS because of cultural reasons.
Way to become racist. What has "cultur" to do anything with how Linux is and acts?

Nobody wants to work on the boring bits of open source software that make it easy to use,
Nobody is forced to work on Linux. The idea is that those who "know and can" do work. The rest simply uses it.

Linux desktop hackers don't do usability studies and have thousands of old folks with arthritis mis-clicking away at their creations (like M$ or Apple do),
What a pile of bull****. Granted some GUIs could be better but the major players in the Linux world have GUIs often a ton better than what windows apps have to offer. So in your eyes a system not even allowing you to do the most simple things without clicking through tons of dialogs with misleading buttons and text is better than one offering simple choices for the beginner and experienced options for pros?

they don't write the same thing in ten different places in the help files because they don't assume that users don't want to read the manual,
It's called efficiency. People want to find their answers not having to run through dozens of help files to figure out what they have to do. Duplicating information is bad. This is why references ( called Hyper-Text ) do exist. Yet again you seem to prefer clumsy and oversized documentation leading you around in circles until you finally find what you are looking for.

they assume their users are as smart as they are rather than completely stupid idiots.
Incorrect. This has been true in the beginning of Linux but if you look at any sane entry-level distribution of Linux then you see that people do not need any more knowledge than is required to get a crappy vista running.

Home users have the freedom to choose and for a long time to come they'll choose the easy option.
Which is by the way why many people and gamers choose Linux over Windows... because they want it easy and without tons of handcuffs preventing them from doing the most simple things without big brother M$ throwing them tree trunks and stones between the legs ( see Vista ****-my-ass security system hindering anything safe but allowing any root-kit straight access to your machine U_U ).

Romeo
18th Sep 2008, 02:44
Many gamers choose Linux? I gotta say man, I don't count like... 20 guys as many. And let's be totally honest here. Probably 85-90% of the market is on Windows. Probably another 5-10% are on Macs. The leftover scraps are what make up the populatoin on Linux. Now, if I'm making a game, it's going to be on Windows for sure. I might make it on Mac, just to get the last few customers I can. Chances are, I'm not going to waste my time for the last <1% on a Linux, as it's simply not a large enough market share to warrant the extra devellopment time. By this same principle, many games these days are even cutting Mac out of the loop in an effort to keep costs down, and in certain cases, cutting out the PC all-together because of the blatent piracy these days. Besides, can't you just get a pirate version of XP and play DX3 on that?

PS, for the record about Vista being so unsecure and a waste of money - I've had it since it was first released, and I have yet to get a virus, yet to recieve a hardware fault, and even yet to have a random crash (closest I came was on Diablo, because I was playing it while Spore, and Total Annihilation were already running, on a year-old laptop. So unless you're really useless with computers, Linux is no more secure than Windows. It's just, like Macs, no one cares enough to bother making viruses for them, as the majority are on Windows.

CarloGervasi
18th Sep 2008, 07:27
People try to hack Linux all the time, and run malware on it. With a Mac, it's not being used by people, so it can't be used to harvest banking info, and it's not being used by businesses, so it can't be used to steal that way. With Linux, it's not being used by the people, but it is being used by a substantial number of businesses, and as such it's a juicy target for a lot of people looking to make a buck.

Other than that, 100% right.

Jerion
18th Sep 2008, 07:53
I don't particularly care if they do it for Mac- I use a Mac but I dual-boot into XP for all my gaming so I could still play it anyway (although, if they use Cider (http://transgaming.com/products/cider/) they could ship a mac version with very little extra dev time). As for Linux...I just don't see it happening. As it has been said, Linux is by far a minority in the gaming market and it simply wouldn't make much sense to support it for a game that may or may not make big bucks. I think on this one they have to play it safe and forgo linux support.

Dragonlord
18th Sep 2008, 17:32
What goes for Vista I had a couple of cases in tech support as well as game development related problems. If something doesn't work the first question is "do you use Vista?". The usual answer is yes so you know already why it doesn't work. But that's anyways not the topic here.

About Linux being a small market share is based on wrong assumptions. The problem is that many people have Linux as the working system and only dual boot into Windows ( or using a Wine derivate ) to play those games refusing to make a Linux client. So the numbers of bought copies and the stats tracked on game servers speak about Windows being used although the truth is different ( windows game under wine still triggers a windows hit in stats trackers ). Sure Windows has the largest market share but Linux is nowhere below 1%. It's a lot more and growing steadily. People are fed up of Windows problems and switch to Linux. The only problem is that companies do not want to serve this market. It's an old problem and not an easy one to solve. The problem is worked on from many fronts ( porting for example ) but it requires also a bit of support from the big companies. We can't solve this problem all on our own.

That said it's not required to have a Linux client from the release date on. It's okay enough if after some time seeing the income is flowing to have a look on a Linux client. It's just that anything ( even small or late ) is better than nothing. That's my opinion on the take.

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 04:42
Still, regardless of your opinion one way or the other, I severely doubt the game's going to be released for Linux.

Dragonlord
19th Sep 2008, 15:11
That's most probably possible. Still though unless you try to ask there's not chance to get anything ( or... you can't score a goal if you don't slapshot at it ).

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 22:47
Dude, I score goals all the time without slapshots. Wrist shots, snap shots, one timers, flicks, and pretty much every goal I've ever scored in lacrosse hasn't been a slapshot. In fact, none of the lacrosse ones have. YOUR HOPEFUL... HOPE IS WRONG.

K^2
19th Sep 2008, 22:50
1) We organize a raid of Eidos Montreal to obtain a copy of the source.
2) We port the game to Linux.
3) ...
4) Profit.

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 23:06
Why is point three just three dots? Are you planning a nap between steps two and four? =P

Dragonlord
19th Sep 2008, 23:50
Dude, I score goals all the time without slapshots. Wrist shots, snap shots, one timers, flicks, and pretty much every goal I've ever scored in lacrosse hasn't been a slapshot. In fact, none of the lacrosse ones have. YOUR HOPEFUL... HOPE IS WRONG.
It's a direct translation of a German proverb... so please keep your attacks for yourself <.=.<

K^2
19th Sep 2008, 23:53
Why is point three just three dots? Are you planning a nap between steps two and four? =P
Rule #1 prevents me from answering this question.

Romeo
20th Sep 2008, 05:36
It's a direct translation of a German proverb... so please keep your attacks for yourself <.=.<
Relax boy-o, I was just joking around. ;)

Rule #1 prevents me from answering this question.
What if I was part of the raid? Hm? HMMM??!?!

dxfan94
21st Sep 2008, 21:26
Linux/Unix/BSD support would make this game loved by all linux gamers like myself. A native or hell even a port would be awesome. Just a suggestion. I know you can use wine for the original deus ex and the second one is too graphical for me to run via emulation, anyone else know how IW wines?

As much as you want i never think DX3 will ever be on Linux. Its just to hard. You need to be very Fluent in Linux language to even put music on an ipod. Sorry.

K^2
21st Sep 2008, 21:27
As much as you want i never think DX3 will ever be on Linux. Its just to hard. You need to be very Fluent in Linux language to even put music on an ipod. Sorry.
You haven't used Linux in a while (maybe ever?) have you?

Romeo
22nd Sep 2008, 01:51
Most people haven't in a while, it was frustrating enough the first time.

Ba-Zing!

CarloGervasi
22nd Sep 2008, 02:28
Try an Ubuntu Live CD if you ever get the chance. There have been some pretty big strides in usability and functionality in recent times. Especially with all those Shuttleworth and Google dollars flowing in.

K^2
22nd Sep 2008, 05:33
Yeah. Download Ubuntu and try it. You simply burn the CD, put it into your CD-ROM drive, and restart the machine. There is absolutely no excuse not to try.

SteelRomano
16th Dec 2008, 21:11

Really if you can play in GNU / Linux!

GNU / Linux is one of the best operating systems that exist, do not bear the game in this system would be a total backlog!

Tracer Tong
19th Dec 2008, 00:00
Ubuntu's bad for you, it's hardly 'out-of-the-box' anymore.

Try Debian (what Ubuntu's made from) or OpenSuse 11.1. They're more user friendly and with KDE 4 they have a very fast UI compared to older versions.