PDA

View Full Version : MMORPGs

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 19:42
Just wondering how many people here play MMORPGs?

I play WoW abit and WC III (Dunno if that counts though)

Runescape doesn't count because it is teh suxorz leik jamesthefishy.

ikenstein
23rd Jun 2008, 20:07
i've been playing age of conan. big disappointment. all the armor looks the same and the world is made up of titchy zones. steer clear.

i can't seem to find any good new pc games just now. any recomendations?

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 20:22
I haven't seen any worthwhile PC games recently, though a whole new wave of them are going to be released by Christmas.

Blade_hunter
23rd Jun 2008, 20:38
I don't play to MMOs, but I think if I want to mention a game close to DX it can be neocron...

SageSavage
23rd Jun 2008, 20:47
i can't seem to find any good new pc games just now. any recomendations?

Nah... nothing worthwhile but I have high hopes for Far Cry 2, FallOut 3 and Street Fighter 4. The situation will get better around August/September and the following time till Christmas.

jordan_a
23rd Jun 2008, 23:40
I just avoid MMOs, they're useless and dangerous.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 02:06
Warcraft III doesn't count as an MMORPG. It's an RTS, not an RPG.

I probably would play WoW and other MMOs except I just don't have the money for it. I gave WoW a shot on one of the free servers once, but found it to be really disappointing. I figure it's one of those games which is more fun once you're a higher level and are in a guild with a bunch of buddies or something.

Who said Age of Conan is bad? I heard that it was meant to be really awesome. You're the first criticism I've heard! =O I haven't seen it at all though, so I don't really have any comment of my own.

MaxxQ1
24th Jun 2008, 02:10
I don't play any online games, 'cuz I'm smart enough to know that everyone else will kick my rearend.

iWait
24th Jun 2008, 02:14
Well actually maps like LoaP, Darkness, and even DotA could be considered RPGs.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 02:29
RPG = role playing game
RTS = real time strategy

If you are controlling one character, developing them uniquely, and generally immersed in a rather large environment with a story with characters etc; it's an RPG.
If you are controlling armies of people in a battle; it's a real-time strategy.

I don't know what LoaP or Darkness are, but DotA is kind of still more of an RTS. You could probably argue that it's a mini-RPG. There is no real character there. You don't have a "role" as such, like in a proper RPG. But you do level up, pick skills to train in, and control only the one person. I would hesitate to put it into a genre at all. But the fact is, Warcraft III *isn't* DotA. DotA is a map, probably more aptly should be entitled a MOD as the items and all that are not straight from Warcraft III. There is actual coding and different processes going on than just map-creation. You can't call Warcraft III an RPG based off of what one map/mod does.
And even so, DotA is not even remotely an MMORPG. "Massive multiplayer" is the key part here. A maximum of 10 people to a server is hardly massive.

gamer0004
24th Jun 2008, 06:40
I liked LOTRO quite a lot. The armour and clothing looked really really bad though. But the storyline and combat were quite nice actually.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 06:52
My brother who has played WoW, Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings Online said that LotRO was crap and I don't think he played it for long at all. I just wikied it and it seems to have gotten really awesome reviews. I was disappointed to hear it was bad, but I'm not sure what his problem was. He even offered to give it to me.

I would actually go and take it if I could afford to pay the monthly fees. =(

Blade_hunter
24th Jun 2008, 12:28
The MMOFPS neocron have some DX features, and i think it's more interesting to talk about this game than games like WOW because i don't think WOW have something in common with DX ....

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 13:31
Earth and Beyond Seemed good for the short period that I played it but then it was killed off. Planetside seemed to have a good idea but I never really got into it, it seemed like it would have been better if more people evened the the sides. WoW was just boring after a week or so. Everquest was fun until you loose all your limps to buy the newest expansion. Vendetta Online seems good, has that freelancer shooting style which makes me think that its better then eve online but I still haven't truely played it yet. Eve online is fun until you realize that your ship that took 3 months to get just blew up because some guy warps in, shoots one shot and warps out. Not that the game isn't good I'd just prefer that it takes some skill to fire a weapon. Worldshift is an mmorts that I played in closed beta, It was ok but of course glitchy but they didn't change the glitchiness yet. I'm not sure if it's released. Although I would like to see more mmorts games. Also if your looking for classic ownage, nethack, adventure, and/or dungeon has always been a favorite. All you need is a freebsd shell or your own machine. I offer free ssh accounts for games like these, among other things at pulpie.ath.cx

jcp28
24th Jun 2008, 22:00
I have played them, but I find the timedrain to take way too much out of my regular life. Like WoW, for example So I just stay away from them nowadays.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 22:09
I have played them, but I find the timedrain to take way too much out of my regular life. Like WoW, for example So I just stay away from them nowadays.

very true, I liked earth and beyond's method of long rang travel, eve online has the same system in which you go through warp to a jump gate through systems. which was all automated when needed. that way you could just walk away and know your safe.

gamer0004
25th Jun 2008, 15:15
My brother who has played WoW, Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings Online said that LotRO was crap and I don't think he played it for long at all. I just wikied it and it seems to have gotten really awesome reviews. I was disappointed to hear it was bad, but I'm not sure what his problem was. He even offered to give it to me.

I would actually go and take it if I could afford to pay the monthly fees. =(

If you are a console gamer and just want pvp action so you can "own" other players (like a lvl 70 killing a lvl 40 over and over again), then LOTRO sucks. Personally I really missed good PvP options, but the game is still much better than WoW.

Bluey71
26th Jun 2008, 20:44
Have been playing Eve Online for 5 years now.

http://www.eve-online.com/

jamesthefishy
26th Jun 2008, 20:50
Have been playing Eve Online for 5 years now.

http://www.eve-online.com/

did you ever play earth and beyond?

Professional No Lifer
27th Jun 2008, 11:35
I never played Neocron, but Anarchy Online has some DX-ish features in it.

PNL

Bluey71
27th Jun 2008, 16:06
did you ever play earth and beyond?

No I didnt - I think there is an ex E&B corp/clan in game tho - Merchant Marines.