PDA

View Full Version : Main Protagonist?

Luminous Path
23rd Jun 2008, 18:42
Who will you play as in dx3?

Luminous Path
23rd Jun 2008, 18:45
This could depend on the nature of the game, i.e. prequel or not. Personally I think it would be strange playing as Paul Denton as he is, for me, an established character. There is no way of knowing as it may be a completely new person. I know this may sound like a stupid question but any speculation or ideas all add to the anticipation.

jcp28
23rd Jun 2008, 23:15
Well, the debate on this topic seems to say that either Paul Denton or Walton Simons would work as leading characters of some sort. But they are both fairly established. You just don't know their background very well. So I could see playing someone like maybe Jordan Shea since we never find out much about her.

jordan_a
23rd Jun 2008, 23:35
I just hope the player won't be able to customize the main character too much. It's the developer's story, not ours.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 02:13
Who will I play as? I will play as Ex-US President Bill Clinton.

"I did not have sexual relations with that AI!"

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2008, 04:40
Probably a random guy with a generic past, as most RPGs would have you start. Deus Ex did it, Deus Ex 2 did it, and it's seemed to work pretty well so far.

Lo Bruto
24th Jun 2008, 04:55
Walton Simons would be sooooooooooooooooo muttha*****in' cool.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 05:36
Walter Simons would suck. Bob Page would be way better. I personally loved the quick movement of the game assassins creed, the free movement. Most games are getting into the ability to climb on walls and all that fun stuff, I'd like to see that be in the third one just a little.

Lo Bruto
24th Jun 2008, 05:54
Walter Simons would suck. Bob Page would be way better.

Page? How the game protagonist would be Page? Did he got to the streets with a shotgun, a cattleprod or a Gep Gun, or whatever to solve his problems? No. He instead prefered to stay in his room with his evil laugh. :nut:

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 05:59
At least it wouldn't be the same old guy we have known since the... well at least it wouldn't be some freak of... Well at least he would be a scientist which everyone knows no other game has... :D

AgnosticJive
24th Jun 2008, 06:49
It's amazing how "the general consensus" seems to place Walton Simons or Paul Denton as the main character for a prequel...when it makes absolutely no sense and has no grounding in reality.

Playing as any Denton would be a poor choice and show a lack of innovation and creativity...not to mention they're all clones of each other, same douche, different name.
Walton Simons...why? "OOOoohhh, he wuz in teh 1st DX and hez leik c00l!" The character was a foil to you, someone of your abilities playing for the bad guys, there is absolutely no reason to play as him at any point in time since he was just a boring wannabe tyrant with the same leather fetish as you.

Regardless of whether the game is a prequel or a sequel I for one would like to see a new and unique character, not yet another literal carbon copy in a long line of cloned losers. You wanna put the Denton brothers back in, that's fine...just keep them as far away from the story line and character as possible...they're already well past their expiration dates.

I'm not saying all this as some lame ploy to try to get a developer or writer or someone working on the game to notice me,or use my ideas (because I realize that they aren't going to listen to any wackjob on this forum,) but to try to point out that everyone is bïtching about games being the same thing over and over...then begging for the same old tired cardboard cut outs that are loosely called characters and the exact same gameplay from the first game...and no, Deus Ex is not so special that it is exempt from your criteria for tiresome game formulas.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 06:59
Wait... did I accidentally hack AgnosticJives account - or is there actually someone else with some decent ideas on the forum!?!?

Although I disagree that the Dentons actually sucked, which he seems to be implying. Or that it would be necessarily bad to play as one of them in a sequel. Rather I take issue with the idea of playing as Paul Denton in a prequel. The line of the main plot in terms of being UNATCO, then it turning out to be bad, being friends with Tracer Tong, and uncovering the conspiracy will be identical. Hell, presumably you'd even end up with a lot of the same Ambrosia and Gray Death stuff for at least the second half of the game; if not the very start. I can't see it being exciting to play.

Alex Denton
24th Jun 2008, 07:08
I am hoping its not a prequel I'm sorry but there's been quite enough of those in the gaming industry lately. Several game series took it upon themselves to have number 3 in their franchise be a prequel.. think we don't need to repeat that with Deus Ex. Maybe playing a descendant of a Denton wouldn't be so bad, but beyond that it just wouldn't feel right to play one again. I wouldn't mind seeing JC and Paul in the game though and have them somehow related to the storyline, as long as it doesn't COMPLETELY focus on them.

If it is a sequel it depends on how many years after IW it takes place as to what characters will appear. If its quite a long time between the games then having any of the original cast just wouldn't fit. Personally I think IW wasn't a really great game. I played it back to back with Deus Ex the other day, had it completed in a matter of hours o.O Not to mention the storyline was just.. weak. Small levels were annoying... and frankly the endings just were blah. They all felt like the bad choice, let bigots rule the world, give stuff over to the Illuminati, kill everyone, or get perfect democracy at the price of privacy. Anywayyyyyy though, set us as someone other than a Denton, and keep them on the sidelines, maybe a cameo or have them help us out, but beyond that no. Its been done enough. Wouldn't mind seeing Tracer Tong, or Alex Jacobson and Jock and some others. Alex and Jock and some of the other main characters were absent from IW...

Lo Bruto
24th Jun 2008, 08:13
Walton Simons...why? "OOOoohhh, he wuz in teh 1st DX and hez leik c00l!" The character was a foil to you, someone of your abilities playing for the bad guys, there is absolutely no reason to play as him at any point in time since he was just a boring wannabe tyrant with the same leather fetish as you.

So what?
It's because he's a "bad guy" or because you see the character as 'boring' that he is out? :nut: I think Paul Denton would be a bad idea for protagonist since we know, at least a part, his past and his personality. But what about Simons? The main guy needs to be a benevolent agent who gives soy food to homeless children?
Actually, I don't think the game will have Simons as the protagonist. In my conception, if the game's a prequel, the main guy will be a unknown mech augmented.
But if one of the old guys from DX1 is going to be the protagonist, then the best option would be Simons, no doubts about it. :thumbsup:

Luminous Path
24th Jun 2008, 11:06
A new character with a generic past would be good I agree, but I disagree with the assertion that including the Dentons, maybe just Paul, would subtract from enjoyment of theg game. I would like to see what made the pivotal characters from dx who they were.

mad_red
24th Jun 2008, 13:34
I don't think playing Paul is a bad idea. We don't know that much about his past to take away all the player's freedom. Just because we know the outcome of any possible prequel doesn't mean the plot will be totally predictable and the game will suck.

That aside, I think it would be pretty cool to play a Russian experiment - a prototype Omar as it were.

Perhaps a greasy green vodka-guzzling rogue Russian Omar Greasel, more or less precisely.

serene_chaos
24th Jun 2008, 16:06
I really don't want to play as Paul. I didn't like him because of his *****ness in both games, and as Luminous Path said, he's an established character, I want to be able to pretend its me. and i dont want to be thinking the whole time that i either was or will be that douche from DX1. can you guess? i didnt like him. he was sick from a killswitch, he couldnt even stand up. you didnt see JC sitting around his apartment coughing when his killswitch was murdering him, no, JC did something about it. Cause he's a man.

Demiurge
24th Jun 2008, 16:57
I think it is unfair to judge Paul based upon the little we know about him. The man did not become "[UNATCO's] best agent" by sitting around and acting like a complete wimp in the face of difficulty. He told JC almost nothing and we infact know very little of his past. It is this that oculd be used to create a storyline, to those who think it would be exactly like DX1 don't forget that he had to work very hard and in secret before he could betray UNATCO, including spying on Manderlay. Serenechaos, Paul not only stood up but wiped out an entire UNATCO unit sent to kill him, I think he wanted to conceal something else from JC and that is why he did not go with him. The sending of the signal was a way to win over JC. Mad_Red I like your idea, that is something fresh and carries some very interesting possibilities.

Luminous Path
24th Jun 2008, 17:24
Perhaps a mission that includes Paul could shed some light on his status within UNATCO and how he found out that the Gray Death was an engineered virus. I'm torn between wanting to explore PDenton before dx and playing as a new character, as was stated earlier on the thread a new unknown character is more immersive as it is easier to pretend you are that character.

I think, correct me on this, that Eidos Montreal were given a strict mandate as to what is required in dx3 by W. Spector, maybe this included a few old hands included in the new title.

Absentia
24th Jun 2008, 17:56
Has the idea of the character being "Emile" been diminished since the teaser was analysed? It still seems quite likely to me
Personally, I wouldn't like to play as any pre-existing character at all. Unless of course, its a character that has been mentioned but never seen, and there is next to no given information on his real background or his personality
I'd like to play as someone new definitely, and I also hope DX3 is not a prequel. If it was though, it could still be good if done well.

AgnosticJive
24th Jun 2008, 19:22
Alright, again...alot of people seem to be saying that there's no back story on paul...well,for one...READ THE DAMN DEUS EX BIBLE, it chronicles his background AND JCs. Paul and JC were the same person...THE EXACT SAME PERSON, the same abilities, etc. Were you to play as paul, you would be playing as JC except he doesn't like hurting people...awwwwww. So let me reiterate, playing Paul would be a HORRIBLE idea, and no, I'm really not too keen on the dentons. I've already been through why multiple times and I'm not going to waste my time writing it all again.

...and just how would Simons be a good protagonist? he is the antagonist, this isn't chrono trigger, there's no reason to play as someone on the other side of the fence.

As far as the "Emile" is concerned, there isn't really any confirmation that that's going to be the main character, however if it is, the fact that it is a unborn (or unhatched or unreleased or unwhatever) yet still augmented fetus would relay the impossibility of it being too far in the past since the technology did not exist, however that would place it dangerously close to deus ex.

mad_red
25th Jun 2008, 06:06
What if the main protagonist was Paul Denton, and the game took place during the collapse? How much do we know about that era anyway?

Another possibility is that the main protagonist is Paul and/or JC's butt-bug, following their every action from that special point of view. Sure to please a lot of fans. :rasp: (sorry i'm so lame)

iWait
25th Jun 2008, 06:12
The protaganist should not be anybody from DX 1 or IW, it needs to be a new person who we know nothing (or almost nothing) about. Paul didn't do anything much before JC joined, there's like a 2 (?) year difference in their joining of UNATCO.

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 11:41
The protaganist should not be anybody from DX 1 or IW, it needs to be a new person who we know nothing (or almost nothing) about. Paul didn't do anything much before JC joined, there's like a 2 (?) year difference in their joining of UNATCO.

I must completely agree. The most I want to play is like joe green. The unatco spy. Even then that would be kind of lame. I would like to see how eidos would create a spy vs spy type of game. Hitman isn't a spy game in case you were about to say that.

Nathan2000
25th Jun 2008, 18:49
it needs to be a new person who we know nothing (or almost nothing) about.

But Simons perfectly matches this description. Really, what do we know about him? In 2051 (or 2052, six months before the game starts) he became the Director of FEMA. He is evil (how else?) enough to oversee the Gray Death distribution. He has a calm, cold voice and always look kinda bored. Sam Carter suggests that he's been through something terrible. He issued with the latest nanotechnological augmentations. Always prepared - he recharges his batteries even at their full capacity.

I can find dozens of questions about him. How did a soldier (Simons is a soldier, not a bureaucrat) become associated with Bob Page? How did he advance in ranks of MJ12? What about his mania? His past is a huge gaping hole. He was only briefly presented in DX1, but I believe, that with more background, he might be a great individuality in the DX universe.

SemiAnonymous
25th Jun 2008, 19:05
Simon Belmont

Lo Bruto
25th Jun 2008, 19:33
...and just how would Simons be a good protagonist? he is the antagonist, this isn't chrono trigger, there's no reason to play as someone on the other side of the fence.

Why not? Why the protagonist needs to be a good guy?

But Simons perfectly matches this description. Really, what do we know about him? In 2051 (or 2052, six months before the game starts) he became the Director of FEMA. He is evil (how else?) enough to oversee the Gray Death distribution. He has a calm, cold voice and always look kinda bored. Sam Carter suggests that he's been through something terrible. He issued with the latest nanotechnological augmentations. Always prepared - he recharges his batteries even at their full capacity.

I can find dozens of questions about him. How did a soldier (Simons is a soldier, not a bureaucrat) become associated with Bob Page? How did he advance in ranks of MJ12? What about his mania? His past is a huge gaping hole. He was only briefly presented in DX1, but I believe, that with more background, he might be a great individuality in the DX universe.

Exactly what I think. IF the protagonist will be a familiar character from DX1, then it must be Simons.

iWait
25th Jun 2008, 20:00
Well this is pointless seeing as they already chose the protaganist.

jcp28
25th Jun 2008, 20:55

Irrelevant, I just like the idea of playing the bad guy attractive.:D Sorry. Besides, antagonist by definition means the person opposed to be the protagonist, and not necessarily somebody who's a villain.

Anyways, the main character could be someone new, but familiarity would seem to say it's Paul. I sure hope not though.

Professional No Lifer
27th Jun 2008, 10:12
Hmmm, hard to guess. I would say they're gonna implement something like in TES IV Oblivion, where you can customize your own character, and choose his/hers characteristics. Maybe we will start as a pure biological being, and as the game progresses, we will have the option to augment our abilities as we desire. I just have the feeling they will introduce either a customizable protagonist or someone we haven't seen or heard about yet. Maybe an unknown soldier working for the UNATCO or NSF, or another corporation.

PNL

Coliphorbs
28th Jun 2008, 08:31
Decker.