jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 10:32
To hold us over here is a list of must play games:

Mafia - Rank: 5
Half-Life Series - Rank: 4 1/2
Diablo 2 - Rank: 4
Civilization 4 Rank: 3
Warcraft 1-3 including all expansion packs except for "The Frozen Throne"
Deus Ex Series - Rank: 4 (the original one is a pure 5 but the second one lowers the overall...)
Hitman Series (4 sucks a bit) - Rank: 3 1/2
Age of Empires 3 - Rank: 3
Max Payne - Rank: 4 1/2
Gun - Rank: 4
Manhunt - Rank: 3 (WARNING THIS IS VERY GORY)
Brothers In Arms Series - Rank: 4
Empire Earth - Rank: 3 1/2 First one only.
Call Of Duty 4 - Rank: 4
Freelancer - Rank 3 1/2
Swat 4 - Rank: 2 1/2 ( its fun for a bit )
Ground Control Series - Rank: 3 1/2 ( its fun )
Disciples Series - Rank: 2 1/2 (If you enjoy it)
MechWarrior Series - Rank: 3 (I Love it)
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force Series - Rank: 3 (I enjoyed it)
Roller Coaster Tycoon Series - Rank: 3 1/2 (The third one really sucked)
Indigo Prophecy - Rank: 4 1/2 (OH SO AWESOME!)

Best Games To NOT play (Note ranks are reversed. 1 is worst to play and 5 best to play)

Bioshock - Rank: 1 1/2
World Of Warcraft - Rank: 1/2
Crysis - Rank: 1
Halo Series: 2 1/2
TimeShift - Rank: 5
GTA Series - Rank: 2 1/2
Doom 3 - Rank: 1 1/2 (sorry I just hated it)
Prey - Rank: 1 (WE GET IT YOU MADE PORTALS! DAMN!)
Guild Wars - Rank: 2
America's Army - Rank: 1/2 (OH GOD IT SUCKS!!)
Prince of Persia Series - Rank: 1

Ask if you have questions and comment respectfully please.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 11:04
^ Wow, long list! :eek: You're obviously not as fussy as me! :D

I won't actually "rate" my (rather modest) selection of fave games because that would be impossible for me as all have their own merits.

Generally, I prefer RPGs that make me think and allow stealth. I don't like unnecessary combat much... :p

NOT IN ANY ORDER OF PREFERENCE:

1. Deus Ex / DXIW - goes without saying
2. Thief (Dark Project and Metal Age; not so much Deadly Shadows) *I'll never forgive them for taking out the rope arrow!
3. Chronicles of Ridd ick: Escape from Butcher Bay (damn good game, this one!)
4. Tomb Raider (obviously, not ALL of them were the best they could have been)
5. Half Life series
6. Escape from Castle Wolfenstein
7. Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Solid/Call of Duty & Similar (again, some of them)
8. Bioshock (but mainly for the eye-candy; it was quite 'repetitive' in its gameplay, sadly)
9. STALKER
10. Elder Scrolls (Morrowind etc)
11. Portal (just so very 'different')
12. Hitman series (some of them)

Absentia
23rd Jun 2008, 11:12
Mafia is an absolute classic, yet it seems to be quite unheard of to a lot of gamers. shame really
Personally I quite liked POP:The Sands of Time, but i'm getting extremely pissed off with Warrior Within. All the errors of the previous game (horrible camera angles, overly complex and annoying control system) have pretty much just been made worse, and the added features to the combat aren't really anything special.
Hitman 2 remains one of my favourite games of all time, and Contracts was very good too.

Additions to the list:

-The Chronicles of Riddik: Escape From Butcher Bay
-Blitzkrieg (awesome game)
-Another World/Out of This World (ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY)
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R
-Serious Sam & Serious Sam : The Second Encounter
-Metal Gear Solid series (i'm not being too original here, but theyre excellent if you dont mind consoles)
-Monkey Island series
-Grim Fandango
-Sam & Max Hit the Road (none of the later episodic games though)
-Psychonauts
-Stronghold & Stronghold Crusader

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 12:25
WTF????

WoW rank 1/2????? And yet you put Star Trek Voyager as a 3????????
You don't even mention the Elder Scrolls series, all of the mmorpg's on your list are on the "bad" list, and what's up with TimeShift a rank 5, and yet it's on the "Best Games to NOT Play" List? You exclude TFT to the WC ranking for some odd reason, and YOU RATE EMPIRE EARTH OVER BIOSHOCK!!??

From this point out, I will disregard everything you say because of your personal taste in games.

AgnosticJive
23rd Jun 2008, 12:33
iWait...seconded. I lost respect for his opinion a few threads ago.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 13:18
Oooh, take it easy. You guys are going to scare this member away. :)

* ... a cunning plan, indeed, Baldrick! * :whistle:

AgnosticJive
23rd Jun 2008, 15:09
Oooh, take it easy. You guys are going to scare this member away. :)

Oh...no...we lose yet another fine member of MENSA, how will we ever survive?
Maybe NASA will take him

GruntOwner
23rd Jun 2008, 16:59
In no particular order from what little my computer can actually suppot/what I feel to be worth the investment (Which is why WW2 titles arn't there, I tend to avoid them)
1: Halo. It took multiplayer and completely turned it upside down, it was innovative at the time and despite the quality fluctuating it still has a storyline which, if you get into, will be more compelling than every other pure shooter on the market. That and First Strike was just an awesome read.
2: Oblivion. It's fun the first time, but eventually you hit the horrible realization that there's no good equipment left to get, the quests are all over/samey and the item degregation (sp?) makes the lower levels hell... and the higher levels just consist of 100%chameleon so the only fun place left is at the mid point when elvish stuff is only begginning to show up, and even then the repair part sucks.
3: Empire at War. God help me but I can't bring my self to hate this. The land combat is slow and repetitive, the space combat is slow and small even if it is the only fun thing left, the galactic side of it is annoying if you run out of money and the way to counter several issues in Forces of Corruption was to make the consortium so horribly unbalanced that hell would have to freeze over before you met a challenge. Yet here I am going through the imperial campaign on hard watching the "rebel alliance", who we all remember as gurilla fighters, holding half the bloody galaxy and using fleets the size of an imperial armada to hold a planet that would be imperial in other other game. And the bugs don't help.
4: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Brilliant base system, runs on just about any machine, actually gets you thinking about what to use where in many cases, rather than discovering an uber unit and never leaving it, and generally a brilliant game which, were it more story driven, would be the DX of TBS.
5: Diablo 2: you hit something, it exploded, you proceeded to hit its countless friends until it came to loot time, and unlike Oblivion there were only a few circumstances where I found myself using the same equipment throughout, and even then it was a unique item. The bear knell lodge septar I think it was.
6: Dawn of War. It's just fun, with good levels and combat, squad customization, the cinematic finishers, hell, even the story was better than most. Especially Winter Assault "There's an imperiator titan down there and we wanna blow shizzle up with it".
7: You Have To Burn The Rope. Yes it's flash, yes it's over after a single level, yes it is easy as hell but it's still awesome.

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 19:16
Hey it seems that on all my higher-up characters in Oblivion it's almost impossible to kill things, once I got the Shivering Isles expansion it was a little bit better but most my fights tend to end up with me invisible summoning those those big daedra that get killed in one shot, and if I try to actually attack whatever I'm fighting I do almost no damage.

And I seriously don't get why Jamesthefishy (?) gave WoW a 1/2. Been waiting for a response for like 7 hours.

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 19:22
Oh, wait, doesn't matter if you post or not, I'm disregarding anything you say or type.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 20:20
Oh, wait, doesn't matter if you post or not, I'm disregarding anything you say or type.

LOL @ the tempting invitation to debate... only to snatch it away again so quckly!
What a teaser! :D

GruntOwner
23rd Jun 2008, 21:08
Hey it seems that on all my higher-up characters in Oblivion it's almost impossible to kill things, once I got the Shivering Isles expansion it was a little bit better but most my fights tend to end up with me invisible summoning those those big daedra that get killed in one shot, and if I try to actually attack whatever I'm fighting I do almost no damage.

100% chameleon and Umbra. Granted it results in you smashing your mouse due to the fake difficulty of simply given it lotsa health, but it's quicker than normal fighting, even if it's very very dull. Like I said, mid level has the only satisfying combat, and getting there's no fun any more.

SageSavage
23rd Jun 2008, 21:13
100% chameleon and Umbra. That's pretty much how I did it. Finish the thieves guild first so that you get the awesome "Gray Cowl of Nocturnal". It's incredibly usefull.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?Oblivion_Items.itemname=Gray+Cowl+of+Nocturnal&_layout=Oblivion_Items&_cgifunction=search

pauldenton
23rd Jun 2008, 22:27
1. Deus ex - near perfect but starting to age

2. Return to castle wolfenstein - bags of fun

3. Mafia - total class

4. Stalker - good effort - great atmosphere

5. Far cry - big and beautiful - great fun.

6. Max payne - good effort but starting to age

7. mass effect - depth, beauty and next gen.

8. half life 2 - not as good as the hype but a decent enough game.

other than Deus ex these are in no particular order, i would recomend them all, and many can be found in the bargin bins for a steal.

Hyped games to avoid -

doom 3
bioshock

jcp28
23rd Jun 2008, 23:37
Mafia: Rocked. It was certainly underrated, but once you got over the old-time style, there was some mighty fine gameplay

Gun: Great, but it took me 6 tries to kill the endboss. Either 3.5 or 4

MGS series: 5 out of 5. EPIC WIN

GTA: 4 . It gets just a little bit repetitious if you play it too much

Doom 3: 2 out of 5. Pretty immersive, but hella shallow gameplay

Serious Sam: Like Doom, gameplay was shallow, but at least it was a zany sort of game and it was obvious what you were getting. Either 3 or 4

BioShock:3. Okay, but gameplay is rather dumbed-down

Half-Life:Rocks. The environments and physics were ******* cool i first times I played both 1 and 2

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: I love killing Nazi scum.

Deus Ex 1: Probably a 5

Warcraft series: Some real fun RTS games. But they suffer from all the RTS weaknesses: 4 out of 5

jordan_a
23rd Jun 2008, 23:53
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8777/51m3ftjezflsl500aa280oc5.png
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/6901/35hnszozv4.png

MaxxQ1
24th Jun 2008, 02:07
In no particular order (except for the one in the top spot):

Deus Ex
Homeworld & Homeworld 2
The entire Baldur's Gate series
Freespace and Freespace 2
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Pharoah
The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Mechwarrior 3 & 4 (including both expansions for Mech4)
Crimson Skies
World in Conflict
Far Cry
Stronghold

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 02:11
I'm sorry. Crysis was awesome. Get out.
I also enjoyed the Prince of Persia series quite immensely (or at least the games of it I'd played - which means not Warrior Within yet).

Oh...no...we lose yet another fine member of MENSA, how will we ever survive?
Maybe NASA will take him
Hahaha. Nice.

GruntOwner
24th Jun 2008, 09:53
That's pretty much how I did it. Finish the thieves guild first so that you get the awesome "Gray Cowl of Nocturnal". It's incredibly usefull.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?Oblivion_Items.itemname=Gray+Cowl+of+Nocturnal&_layout=Oblivion_Items&_cgifunction=search

It was useful, but the chameleon makes it not so much a case of "apply cowl, crime, lose cowl" and more a case of "the cowl gives me 200 feather, I am not taking it off and you can't see me".

Now for more games
The Homeworld Series: I started playing Homeworld the orgiginal last night and I gotta say, despite the graphics being made for 95 it's a hellova game. Plus I've seen homeworld 2 in action and it just lookes awesome, so I'll be starting that ASAP.
Mass Effect: How I forgot this previously is a mystery, it's absoloutely brilliant. The level system is easy but satisfying, the weapons are varied, combat is actually fun and it has one of the best crowning moments of awesome in gaming history, though it's more like a crowning mission of awesome which begins with you making a hyperspace jump in an APC.
Black and White: When a game casts you as a god and gives you a giant tiger as an avatar that's more interested in playing than converting people, even though they tend to be one and the same, you know you've got an original idea, and they did it well. Though I lost my disk code for it which really sucks.
Operation Flashpoint: I don't know how I forgot this either, It's just great. It was insanely difficult, incredibley cool and probably the most innovative shooter ever. Even if the quality went down hill with the russian expansion's first level.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 13:18
First off bioshock is completely lame. If you prefer to go around killing little girls, then playing a video game is the least of your worries. The Elder Scrolls is something I just don't prefer to play, not my style. WoW is something that completely ruined the warcraft series and I will no longer refer to it as a entertainment game but a money grab for blizzard. The reason I don't like TFT is because most of the ideas for WoW started with this release. Empire Earth was a great game in my opinion in which you actually saw caveman turn to biomodded people in just about an hour and 30 minutes of play. Timeshift gets a 5 to not play because it was entirely a great idea but totally too easy even on the hardest level. It would be purely a waste of money and/or time to get this game. It would almost be like watching a movie, which brings me to indgo proph. that was actually suppose to look like a movie as timeshift was not. Also to iwaits impatiens for me to reply, I was living a life... Sorry.

mafia2game.com - Waiting for that too.

P.s. Crysis's story line was basically for kids and as for mmorpg's I do play more then I put up there but I didn't want to make a huge list. That was just to share opinions and get people to start talking.

GruntOwner
24th Jun 2008, 13:40
My experience with MMOs has been limited to freebies, and of them Sword of the New World is the only one which ever saw fit to finish the download, even if I had to go round to a friends with a memory stick to finish the job. It was fun to begin with, but then the grind hit and there was never really anyone to party up with for the numerous raid tokens I got. Might go back to it at some point though, you never know.

Now everyone grow up and stop arguing. jamesthefish, your argument against bioshock seems to be the option of killing kids in it, either expand on more serious and relevant reasons or get out. The same applies to everyone else. If we can avoid unjustified mudslinging then perhap we can get some points made and opinions accepted, not simply add to the hate list.

However, if someone displays terrible netiquette, uses poor grammar and generally acts like a tit, then by all means get your flame on.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 13:52
You want me to expand, the story twist sucks and I saw the whole thing from the beginning. The weapon selection is unoriginal and sucks completely, Could you get a modeler people? On top of which the only good thing was the map design. I will give it that, map design along with its ambiance music was good, but games are just more then shiny graphics and good music.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 13:54
The reason I don't like TFT is because most of the ideas for WoW started with this release

This is like saying the Star Wars movies sucked because one of the books or games sucked. Hell, it's like saying Star Wars episodes 4, 5 and 6 sucked because they laid down the groundwork of ideas for the prequel episodes 1, 2 and 3 (which many people say sucked).
Wait, hold on, I've got it. That's like saying Deus Ex 1 sucks because the idea of the global collapse setting and stuff in IW came from the ending of this game.

Justifying a dislike for TFT because WoW takes ideas from it is absolutely absurd. Besides, last I checked, there were just as many ideas and concepts from the rest of the Warcraft series that you find in WoW. After all, most of the races and stuff originally came from vanilla WC3 or even just the first 2 Warcraft games. You can't criticise an earlier release because a sequel is bad. If the ideas themselves in TFT were dislikable - sure. But if you remove World of Warcraft from the picture, what the hell is wrong with The Frozen Throne?

P.s. Crysis's story line was basically for kids
Video games are SERIOUS ADULT BUSINESS.

Realistically though, Crysis' storyline was pretty simplistic and straight-forward - but I would hardly call it "for kids". No moreso than 85% of most games. I mean hell, you liked the Warcraft series. How is Crysis worse than those (especially Warcraft 1 and 2 which are pretty much "orcs vs humans" - in fact; isn't that the name of the first game?). Similar thing with Diablo 2. Okay, so there was a bit more of a world there with a history and stuff - but when it comes down to it, you're just a nobody who needs to kill the monsters, kill the big bad demons from hell, and save the world. I would hardly call Diablo 2 aimed for serious mature audiences (in terms of story).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2008, 13:58
First off bioshock is completely lame. If you prefer to go around killing little girls, then playing a video game is the least of your worries.

Umm, just so people don't get the wrong idea if they haven't played Bioshock... you don't have to kill (or "Harvest" being the correct term) the Little Sisters - you have a choice to save them. I didn't harm any of them at all from beginning to end of game and in a later mission I successfully protected one against enemies. :p
If you choose to harvest you get more ADAM instantly, if you save you get less BUT you are rewarded in other ways, I won't disclose here for the sake of not creating a "Spoiler". ;)

As for the game being lame - in play, I agree. The missions were far too repetitive for me, thus making the storyline quite weak. A shame though, the Retro design and graphics were beautiful and the period date and atmosphere felt just right to me. :)

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 14:02
No, you got what I was trying to say wrong. I wanted to state that TFT was the beginning of stuff like massive item collection for heros and stuff like that, not that TFT was put into WoW so it sucks. TFT sucks because not only does it start pointless massive item collection but also it doesn't take the story much farther than I could piss and its a waste for the price they released it at. On top of which it was at the time completely useless to use online as no one played the online version for a good 3 months. After it's release, they were all playing the first one still. Then again I cant blame the game for this but I can state that if even the warcraft fans didn't buy it for 3 months it means one of two things, they are poor as hell or the expansion truly did suck and was the start of the money grab for blizzard.

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 14:11
No, you got what I was trying to say wrong. I wanted to state that TFT was the beginning of stuff like massive item collection for heros and stuff like that, not that TFT was put into WoW so it sucks. TFT sucks because not only does it start pointless massive item collection but also it doesn't take the story much farther than I could piss and its a waste for the price they released it at. On top of which it was at the time completely useless to use online as no one played the online version for a good 3 months. After it's release, they were all playing the first one still. Then again I cant blame the game for this but I can state that if even the warcraft fans didn't buy it for 3 months it means one of two things, they are poor as hell or the expansion truly did suck and was the start of the money grab for blizzard.

I can't really remember for certain, but I'm pretty sure that there was only slightly more emphasis on heroes and item collection in TFT than RoC. I also don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about in terms of the story not going further. I thought it was quite interesting to see the Arthur and Illidan sidelines in comparison to the whole generic global "stop the demons" of Reign of Chaos. It *is* only an expansion after all.

Accusing Blizzard of money grabbing is rather harsh. They've consistently made the best games I've ever played; and WoW remains incredibly popular worldwide. Even if there *are* better MMORPGs from a critical standpoint, what *really* matters is what the players want. And apparently they want WoW.

As for the price it cost, I can't comment. I borrowed the installation off a friend (oh noes piracy, don't arrest me sirs) and you may very well be right. But I seriously doubt it was any more overpriced then pretty much every other game company around prices theirs.

So besides "massive item collection" (which from memory is like... six items) and your dislike of the story or something very vague and unnecessarily crude in regards to the story and pissing - what else made TFT so bad?

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 14:13
Well let me ask you what made it so good and btw there was WAY more items then "6"

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 14:16
6 per hero, sorry. Although if you ask me it was hardly something you ever needed to seriously aim for. It gave your hero a few more stats - but it was still first and foremost an RTS so the main focus were on the units. Or at least that's how I always played it.

What made TFT good was exactly what made Reign of Chaos good. I really didn't make a huge distinction between the two. TFT was a bit more hero-based, yes, but I think that was the point. As it was an expansion, they focussed on a more direct smaller storyline; which means focussing on individuals. So you get to play more with Illidan or Arthur or Kaen as the focus. But realistically I personally didn't see it as so different from the Reign of Chaos in the general elements of gameplay.

Radius86
24th Jun 2008, 18:26
Can someone tell me why Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is not in any of these 'greatest RPG' lists? That game had MAJOR replay ability!

PS: Any news on KOTOR 3? Last I heard it was an MMORPG in the making...which would suck I think.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 19:24
6 per hero, sorry. Although if you ask me it was hardly something you ever needed to seriously aim for. It gave your hero a few more stats - but it was still first and foremost an RTS so the main focus were on the units. Or at least that's how I always played it.

What made TFT good was exactly what made Reign of Chaos good. I really didn't make a huge distinction between the two. TFT was a bit more hero-based, yes, but I think that was the point. As it was an expansion, they focussed on a more direct smaller storyline; which means focussing on individuals. So you get to play more with Illidan or Arthur or Kaen as the focus. But realistically I personally didn't see it as so different from the Reign of Chaos in the general elements of gameplay.

The warcraft 2 expansion packs didn't focus on just a few characters. Also there was more then 6 per hero, your hero can carry 6 items each and theres a lot of times in which you have to make a choice of which to keep. So there are massive amount of items, either way because its just an opinion. I just didn't like the game too much. I didn't want to add that to warcraft series cause it would have IN MY OPINION brought it down a bit and I saw that as unfair.

iWait
24th Jun 2008, 19:43
Finally I see a smart, well-written post from you..... Tsumaru.

In both WCIII AND WCII:TFT you have 6 bag slots.
TFT has a little more items, but your hero is still secondary to the rest of your faction in terms gameplay.

I agree, KotOR was a great game, but from what I know KotOR 3 is not even confirmed to be in production. I did hear that Lucas Arts and Bioware are going to make a KotOR-based MMO soon.

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 20:53
iwait you have to be the most judgmental person I have ever met. I am sure some people think your posts aren't smart. Its called opinion.

AgnosticJive
24th Jun 2008, 21:40
lol, you're one to talk about judgmental opinions. You praise and blast games purely on your (in my opinion:shÃ*tty) opinion without any real reasoning or fact supporting said opinions.

...I'm not even going to get into how creepy it is you met someone from a forum...

(weeeeeirdoooo)

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 21:53
First off I made this thread not to tell people my opinion but to hear others, the best way most of the time ironically is to tell your own. Most people will throw up there lists and I do give reasons about my ratings. It's a damn expansion pack and I didn't like it that much, YOU seem to think its god itself or something. I am not "prasing and blasting" games. I give reasons which I think are vaild with my opinion, I didn't like the expansion and thats it. You can't just drop it even though I have given good facts and reasons. For your little pun about "meeting" you know what I mean so don't act like a retard.

AgnosticJive
25th Jun 2008, 00:15
james...I'm confused,was that response to me or to iwait...because based on your defense and mentioning of facts (of which I have seen none) I'm going to assume it was aimed at me, however the rant about an expansion pack and someone thinking a game was a god (which makes absolutely no sense) makes me think that it was aimed more towards iwait since I never said a single thing about the frozen throne. And how DARE you ask someone on the internet not to act like a retard, that is my ISP given RIGHT. Although I'm going to go ahead and guess you were probably taking on both comments in one single comment without any transition between responses.

Next time you're going to take on two comments at once, I would suggest you separate them as the mixture makes it all very confusing, I would grade your comment a 1/5 based on most writing rubrics...which sorry to say is not passing at all, you will have to repeat the fourth grade =/.

Tsumaru
25th Jun 2008, 02:44
Finally I see a smart, well-written post from you..... Tsumaru.
Ouch!

Pity we haven't seen any such from you, yet. I'm sure you'll get past the Rickrolling one day though.

But enough of that.

The warcraft 2 expansion packs didn't focus on just a few characters. Also there was more then 6 per hero, your hero can carry 6 items each and theres a lot of times in which you have to make a choice of which to keep. So there are massive amount of items, either way because its just an opinion. I just didn't like the game too much. I didn't want to add that to warcraft series cause it would have IN MY OPINION brought it down a bit and I saw that as unfair.
I think "massive amount of items" is a huge overstatement. And my point is that if you can only have 6 per hero at a time (identical to Reign of Chaos) then it is hardly focussed on "massive item collection". To massively collect, you have to be able to massively hold. The fact you needed to prioritise and couldn't just pump item after item onto your hero to make them leet meant that items themselves were just a small side-thing which barely tipped the balance of the game at all. And the fact you can play the entire game without collecting a single item also means it's not a necessary or focus feature.

And how DARE you ask someone on the internet not to act like a retard, that is my ISP given RIGHT.
<3

Also, I think a lot of that post was actually meant to be directed towards ME. Jamesthefishy seems really confused.

iWait
25th Jun 2008, 06:05
Oops I screwed up that post, turned out more of an insult to Tsumaru than james, sorry for that mistake.

Anyway here is my rating of games (out of five possible):

DX:1/5 stpd game bd grafix old)
H@l0 2: 5 (rlly grete stry lin fn fitingd)
DX IW: 4 (su mch btter grafiz thn first n he holds his gun cuuler)
WCIII TFT:0 (gheyay
WC I-III: 2 ( stpd i dn't have spartn armr
PoP (Warrior Within):4 ( so mch btter than the first one i dn't leik stlth is stpd )
H@l0 3: 5 (OMG GOOD)
Mortal Kombat:5 (omg soo funn
System Shock 1+2:1/8 (stpd
Jack In the Box Game:5 ( awseome n only 5 bucks
KOTOR 1+2: 0 ( stpd star wars is gay luke is a homo)
Psychonauts:1 (rlly stpd rlly hatd it bad didn't mke since

AgnosticJive
25th Jun 2008, 06:07
iwait...you misspelled h@l0.

iWait
25th Jun 2008, 06:15
lol whups

Tsumaru
25th Jun 2008, 06:26
DX IW: 4 (su mch btter grafiz thn first n he holds his gun cuuler)
IT'S SO TRUE, HE DOES!

iWait
25th Jun 2008, 06:34
i kno rite!1! finlly sm1 egreaas wth meeeeahohaoihah

Alex Denton
25th Jun 2008, 07:14
Hmmm okay let me see if I can assemble a list of my favorite games. Goes as follows...

Deus Ex 5/5: Loved the Story, Presentation, Gameplay, and Role playing elements. In fact I'm playing it right now! I still think this game is one of the best ever made, even if its 8 years old. Hasn't aged a day for me, and I'm looking forward to the coming release of HDTP. :D

Deus Ex IW 3/5: Well this one was alright, I played it back to back one day after beating Deus Ex, had it beat in a few hours. It was so short, and quite frankly the levels were rather annoying. So small and so many freaking load times. Story this time around was a lot weaker, and none of the endings felt like a good choice to me. Graphics also aren't -that- great.

SW Knights of the Old Republic 5/5: Great RPG, I play it every few months still, it doesn't hurt that I'm a huge Star Wars fan though :P I loved playing as a certain Sith Lord, and when I first found out that twist it nearly knocked me out of my chair. :D Great role playing experiance over all.

Half Life Series 5/5: Both One and Two and all the episodes so far. I picked up Half Life one day on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. When Two came out I just had to have it, and my what a plot ti was. So many unanswered questions meant I just had to dig into the episodes. :P Still waiting on Episode Three.

Vampire the Masquerade Redemption & Bloodlines 4/5 Both Games :Now these games, I enjoy mostly because I'm a Vampire nut. WoD buff :P I do however enjoy the Role playing elements, storyline, and characters of both games. Again I play these every so often.

Mass Effect 4/5: I really enjoyed Mass Effect, I've played it about 3 times through so far, I probably will pick it up again for a 4th play through soon. I just never seem to find the time for it, not enough hours in the day I guess. I enjoyed the character development, game play, and plot of this one. The cover system was a bit iffy, and I find the difficulty obtaining some of the Armors/Weapons in the game annoying though. =\

Assassin's Creed 3/5: I enjoyed the plot of Assassin's Creed by and large, though at the end it got a bit.. strange for my taste. O.o Graphics and Game play were great and I really enjoyed playing as Altair. Repetitive tasks and overall low replay value kind of drag it down though. In the end the game made a lot of promises and didn't deliver on to many of them.

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion 5/5: Now this game I loved! Still do, and I've played it over the past few weeks before I picked up Deus Ex again. Graphics are superb, especially when you have the PC version and can download all the mods to improve characters and add races ;) Good plot and storyline, plenty of side missions and stuff to do in the game. There are still area's and missions I haven't explored or completed yet. :D

Dead Rising 5/5: Sandbox game play at its best. Frank West is a very fun character, and I loved that this was the first game I played where when I changed the characters outfit it actually showed up in a cutscene! Very refreshing to see that. XD Also this game did have a good plot, when it ended it left me wanting more. I like the interesting and sometimes psychotic characters this game has to offer. Best death scene ever is undoubtedly Adam the Clowns.

Gears of War 5/5: Ah yes another game that just keeps me coming back. No matter what other new and spiffy game I get, I eventually return to Gears, mostly because of the Multiplayer. I do like the cast of characters though, and the graphics on this one. Definite must have for any 360 owner :D

Resident Evil 4 4/5: This game brought new life into the Resident Evil series for me, being a zombie fan I'd played every single RE that came out. Can't wait for 5 seeing as how it had all the refinements. I did however sometimes miss the old lay out and suspense the other games in the series had given. Other that, very much enjoyed the plot and characters of RE 4.

Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast 5/5: This one is truly one of my favorite Star Wars games ever made. I was very happy to see a return of Kyle Katarn after years of nothing since Mysteries of the Sith. Being a Jedi and Star Wars nut I picked this up right away. I enjoyed the storyline, graphics, characters and all the cool game play they stuck into this one. Very enjoyable :D

Thats all for now. There are more I could put in but I think thats quite enough for now.

v.dog
25th Jun 2008, 08:17
in some sort of order, mainly descending:
Single Player:
Portal: Funny, unique gameplay, and the best ending you'll ever see in any game. This was a triumph! 5/5
System Shock 2: the most atmospheric FPS/RPG I've ever played. The only downside: those monkeys 5/5
Dues Ex: In this forum, I need explain this game no further. 5/5
Thief 2: Earlier levels were atmospheric and rich (both in loot and detail), but the castle felt lacking. 4/5
Half-Life (series): Linear, but Valve are the masters of pacing and telling a brilliant story. 4.5/5
KOTOR: Star Wars RPG with a good story and lots to explore 4.5/5
STALKER: Buggy, but it's hard to beat exploring Chernobyl in all its twisted glory. 4/5

Multiplayer
Team Fortress 2: Best class based combat game (sans vehicles), period. 4.5/5
Battlefield 1942: with the Desert Combat mod, this is the most fun vehicular combat game I've ever played. 4.5/5
Worms 4 Mayhem: great multiplayer chaos on a single PC (especially on a big HDTV), only some dodgy camera work prevents it from getting a 5. 4/5

Indie
Crayon Physics (http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/games/crayon): A simple game that involves nothing more than getting a ball to a star. It's also buggy. Yet somehow everyone who has played it loves it, even the 'hardcore gamer' set. 5/5
Rayhound (http://www18.big.or.jp/~hikoza/Prod/): A shooter where your ship has no guns. Instead you grab the enemies shots and fling them back. 4/5
Every-Extend (http://www.download.com/Every-Extend/3000-2099_4-10347824.html): Another 'shooter' without guns. blow yourself up and take out chains of enemies to get more lives. 4/5

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 11:00
Team Fortress 2: Best class based combat game (sans vehicles), period. 4.5/5

What do you mean by sans vehicles?

Blade_hunter
25th Jun 2008, 21:16
01.Deus Ex 1
02.System shock 2
03.STALKER
04.Unreal 1
05.Unreal tournament 1 and 2k4
06.Earth 2150 series
07.Duke Nukem
08.Hitman Contracts
09.Red Faction 1
10.Blood 1 & 2
11.GTA Vice city and San andreas (I don't play to the 4)
12.Warzone 2100
13.Starcraft and Starcraft broodwar
14.C&C red alert 2 and C&C generals
15.Serious Sam
16.Worms World Party
17.KKND
18.Quake 1
19.Starlancer and Freelancer
20.Total Annihilation

That was my favorite games.

He would say without vehicles I think ...

Tsumaru
26th Jun 2008, 04:27
What do you mean by sans vehicles?
Sans is a preposition meaning "without".

AeonHUN
26th Jun 2008, 18:12
Hy All

A few games wich I think are good:

Deus Ex 1 - No. 1 :D

Splinter Cell - 1st was OMG, the 2nd was also good, 3rd and 4th were good too but not as good as the first episode

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - OMG the atmosphere, good equipment, good story, good quests, and the graphics = it was gr8

KotoR 1-2 = also good games

Mass Effect - good story, cool grapichs but a lot of :mad2: things (inventory = disaster, so many stuff from crates and kills that it was almost imposible to handel) and the dialoge sceens were also gr8; only the 3 main planets had unique surfaces the others had the same buildings, and that was booring but the game was still good, but it could have been better

Maffia - top class game

Hitman - the 3rd part was a bit "weak" but the others were amazing

Half Life 1-2 - just super

Vampire Bloodlines - the game wasn't finished correctly was full of bugs, but the atmosphere was superb and the story was also good

Condemned - just great

No one lives forever 1 - awesome

These were my favourite games (not all) and from gener matching an action game, but of course Starcraft, C&C Generals, W3, Heroes5, and stuff are also good.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 19:15
May I ask about Assassins Creed?
If anyone has played it, what score would you give it out of 5?

I intend to buy it as it looks pretty good but I'm a little worried because some forums say it is quite repetitive and the AI isn't that good. Is this true? :confused:

Also, I have a choice of playing it on my PC or XBox - would it make much difference which platform I choose? I prefer the mouse control on a PC but I've heard that controlling the character is actually easier with the XBox controller. Fact or fiction?

Thank you. :)

gh0s7
2nd Jul 2008, 21:30
My favorite games, in random order:

. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight
. Starcraft + Brood War
. Civilization: Call to Power 2
. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + expansions
. Civilization 3 + expansions
. F.E.A.R. (only the original)
. Star Wars: Republic Commando
. Serious Sam & The Second Encounter
. Half-Life Series
. Planescape: Torment
. System Shock 2
. Freespace Series
. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
. Freelancer
. Civilization 4 + expansions
. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1
. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
. The Settlers 2
. Mechwarrior 3 & 4 + expansions
. The Thief Series
. Counter Strike (all)
. Splinter Cell 1
. MechCommander 1 & 2
. Fallout 1 & 2
. Oni
. Max Payne 1
. Homeworld 1 & 2
. Heroes of Might & Magic 3 + expansions
. Aliens Vs. Predator 1

... And, of course, Deus Ex! :D

Note: I'm not going to "rate" them; these are the titles that I would recommend at any given time, considering only the preferred genre (if any).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 21:43
Does anyone remember (or played) "Abe's Oddysee?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddworld:_Abe's_Oddysee

I remember that was the one 'platform' type game, at that time, that actually REALLY impressed me . I instantly fell in love with the whole Oddworld Universe. :cool:

Just wanted to put a show of hands in for this game. If you haven't played it and you're looking for some unique fun with added challenge and charm... try it. ;)

Blade_hunter
2nd Jul 2008, 21:49
This platform adventure game has an infiltration dimension because most of times we must be quiet and the special abilities like the fact we can fart was funny :D
But for me it's not my favorite game but it's an amazing game, yes :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 21:51
LOL, yeah ... it was hysterical! :D

jcp28
2nd Jul 2008, 22:28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddworld:_Abe's_Oddysee

I remember that was the one 'platform' type game, at that time, that actually REALLY impressed me . I instantly fell in love with the whole Oddworld Universe. :cool:

Just wanted to put a show of hands in for this game. If you haven't played it and you're looking for some unique fun with added challenge and charm... try it. ;)

I played Oddysee a few times. And I know what you're saying about it being quirky and fun. But it was a rental, so I had to take it back.:( I never got another chance to play it, as I was into other games at the time.

Romeo
3rd Jul 2008, 07:51
To hold us over here is a list of must play games:

Mafia - Rank: 5
Half-Life Series - Rank: 4 1/2
Diablo 2 - Rank: 4
Civilization 4 Rank: 3
Warcraft 1-3 including all expansion packs except for "The Frozen Throne"
Deus Ex Series - Rank: 4 (the original one is a pure 5 but the second one lowers the overall...)
Hitman Series (4 sucks a bit) - Rank: 3 1/2
Age of Empires 3 - Rank: 3
Max Payne - Rank: 4 1/2
Gun - Rank: 4
Manhunt - Rank: 3 (WARNING THIS IS VERY GORY)
Brothers In Arms Series - Rank: 4
Empire Earth - Rank: 3 1/2 First one only.
Call Of Duty 4 - Rank: 4
Freelancer - Rank 3 1/2
Swat 4 - Rank: 2 1/2 ( its fun for a bit )
Ground Control Series - Rank: 3 1/2 ( its fun )
Disciples Series - Rank: 2 1/2 (If you enjoy it)
MechWarrior Series - Rank: 3 (I Love it)
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force Series - Rank: 3 (I enjoyed it)
Roller Coaster Tycoon Series - Rank: 3 1/2 (The third one really sucked)
Indigo Prophecy - Rank: 4 1/2 (OH SO AWESOME!)

Best Games To NOT play (Note ranks are reversed. 1 is worst to play and 5 best to play)

Wow, I'm not gonna lie, I find that to be one of the most ass-backwords lists ever. BioShock was over-hyped, to be sure, but it wasn't as bad a game as you rank it. The Halo series, though not my personal favorite, obviously isn't too bad, or it wouldn't be selling as it is right now. GTA, though I also hated it for a while, there's no denying how encompassing of a game it is. Manhunt is inferior to these games, without question. Hitman is a much better alternative. And while I liked TimeShift, it is not "5" class material. And even if it were, why would you put it on the list not to play, then rate it so highly?

Kevyne-Shandris
3rd Jul 2008, 08:10
He hasn't played America's Army of late, either. It's pretty darn good now. Much better than the version I played 2 years ago. Co-op maps are sweet. Like the FF always on, as no one is immuned to friendly fire. Only problem is a free game attracts the worst players -- really godawful 15 year-olds in that game.

Romeo
3rd Jul 2008, 08:15
Yeah, America's Army should be rented before being bought though. I tend to find people either love it, or hate it. But if you don't like it, you wont learn to. lol

chip5541
3rd Jul 2008, 08:34
I'm more of a retro-gamer. I still play Amiga and C64 games like Cannon Fodder, Power Monger, Syndicate, Beachhead, Pogo Joe, Speedball II, and Gods just to name a few. There were so many games made for those systems I can play pretty much any type of game depending on my mood.

gh0s7
3rd Jul 2008, 19:44
Oh, I can't believe I forgot to add "Syndicate" to the list!! :eek:
That one is definitely a fav! Still play it, from time to time, in my PC (DOSBox is your friend. :D )

Romeo
3rd Jul 2008, 20:20
Alright, I'll compose a mini list all my own, and organize by genre. I'll assume you only want PC games, preferably dated ones and I'll put them in order.

Shooters
1) Crysis (New)
2) FarCry (Old)
3) Gears of War (Relatively new)

Racers
1) GTR (Old)
2) TOCA (Old)
3) Grid (New)

RPGs
1) Morrowind (Old)
2) The Witcher (New)
3) Mass Effect (New)

Real-time Strategies
1) Total Annihilation (Old, and one of my all-time favorites)
2) Starcraft (Old)
3) Dawn of War (Oldish)

Many of these games can be found in bargain bins, or at least picked up at a reduced price. And if none of these genres satisfy your particular tastes, Spore is coming out in a couple of months, which looks to be amazing. =)

El_Bel
12th Jul 2008, 12:58
First of all.. Crysis.. No, hell no. Dont touch that. I didn't thought it was possible to create a game as bad as crysis with a 20 million euros budget.. IW was 10 times better!!

Now for my list..

Deus ex
System shock
GTA
Sacrifice
Rideck escape from butcher bay
thief
Witcher
vampire bloodlines
Mount and blade
ArmA
I haven't played splinter cell, but i think i will like it.

And a personal favorite from old times..... Sir Lancelot on ZX Spectrum!!!
Here is a remake(not as good as the original though)
http://www.classic-retro-games.com/Sir-Lancelot_36.html

Oym
15th Jul 2008, 20:24
Good games ? Including Deus Ex of course , I would say :

Baldur's Gate ( All of them )

Alpha Centauri ( Rocks .. But very very very old )

Warcraft 3

Morrowind

Age of Empires 2

However none of them is a as excellent as Deus Ex 1 ...

urban_queen41
16th Jul 2008, 05:57

Oh my God yes. That was one of the first games I ever really played... I remember playing it when I was like 6 with my uncle at his house on his PS1. It was such a fun game!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jul 2008, 08:56
Oooh, another Abe fan! :cool:
Yeah, it was certainly a fun game to play and I thought the loading between screens/levels was very smooth and almost seamless. That was really refreshing to experience in a platform game of its time.

Hey guys, have you read news of this upcoming game, Velvet Assassin?
Looks like it could be pretty cool.
It may not be your thing, but I'm VERY interested, hehe. :p

http://www.velvetassassin.com/

HouseOfPain
18th Jul 2008, 13:12

Im sorry this threads a little far past, but I have to say, this was totally unnecessary and completely and utterly destroyed your thread imo. I liked that you gave your opinion on what games I should try out, thanks, I have ALWAYS wanted to try the Hitman series.

Now on to the crap you created which is the list of games you should never play.

I already have some issues with the P.C. community regarding Halo, so I'll let you off with a warning.

Bioshock is one of the most amazing immersive experiences I have ever had the ******* LUCK of enjoying. If I were poor and I had seen a glimpse of Bioshock, I would have committed suicide on the spot knowing I could never play such a game. I enjoyed Bioshock like I enjoy food, or like I enjoy breathing. While your opinion is your own I really dislike how you said no one should play it, where as I think EVERYONE should have the opportunity and the enjoyment of playing this title.

And I have to ask what you didn't receive from Prince of Persia? That game sold me on the Xbox.

oh... thats right.. its console only isnt it? Perhaps maybe that dilutes your list to what it should be "best P.C. games to explore, oh and **** you Console gamers."

This post pretty much came off as angry and I'm sorry, I got 4 hours of sleep, you got unlucky for making this thread that could have actually been interesting.

EDIT: and I realize his list contains 'bad' P.C. games as well, where as his recommendation list has P.C. games (with a few ported onto consoles)

Oym
18th Jul 2008, 14:19
People should stop fighting each other about what game is better or worse , and learn how to keep their own point of view as long as it's not insane , games are not necessarily " better " or " worse " , and we tend to forget that there's no accounting for taste ..

I've seen many points of view with which I disagree in this thread , but we cannot all like or dislike the same game :o

Dead-Eye
18th Jul 2008, 20:07
Interesting/great games that should be played:
Deus Ex
KOTOR/Mass effect
Tachyon: The fringe
Homeworld
System Shock 2
Halo
Myst
The sims
Portal
Metal Gear Solid
GTA 1 & 3
Rock Band
Grand Turismo

Games that I liked but fell short or didn't feel worth the time:
The Sims (1 & 2)
Eve Online
Mass effect
Elder scrolls: 3 & 4
Metal gear solid 4
Final Fantasy 7
Corono Trigger
Halo (2 & 3)
Soul Revere (any)
GTA4
Counter-Strike
Myst 5.
Resident evil 1 & 2.
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy.

Games I wish I never played:
Deus Ex 2
Almost any game based on a movie.
Soul Revere (any)
Myst 4.

Oym
18th Jul 2008, 20:15
I've been playing halo but I have to admit that I've been a little disappointed .. I find the storyline and the levels repetitive ..

For the rest , that's dope in my opinion ..

CarloGervasi
18th Jul 2008, 20:16
If you liked Deus Ex, you might like a game called "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines", which is another FPRPG on the PC. After you download the community patches to get rid of the show stopper bugs, the game is pretty much perfect, just like Deus Ex 1 was. Real role-playing choices, none of this mickey mouse "do I want to shoot him or stab him" nonsense, good graphics, wonderful soundtrack, great writing, the game is dripping with atmosphere, just a really great product all around. I think Steam has it for about $15 now. Well worth the money, believe me.

jcp28
18th Jul 2008, 21:13
Hey guys, have you read news of this upcoming game, Velvet Assassin?
Looks like it could be pretty cool.
It may not be your thing, but I'm VERY interested, hehe. :p

http://www.velvetassassin.com/

A stealth game set during WWII with a female as the lead? I might just have to check this out if it's anywhere near as good as MGS or Splinter Cell.

Oym
18th Jul 2008, 21:52
If you liked Deus Ex, you might like a game called "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines", which is another FPRPG on the PC. After you download the community patches to get rid of the show stopper bugs, the game is pretty much perfect, just like Deus Ex 1 was. Real role-playing choices, none of this mickey mouse "do I want to shoot him or stab him" nonsense, good graphics, wonderful soundtrack, great writing, the game is dripping with atmosphere, just a really great product all around. I think Steam has it for about $15 now. Well worth the money, believe me.

Sounds interesting , might be my next game then :)

Thanks for the information anyway !

Blade_hunter
18th Jul 2008, 21:58
For me Halo was a cheap FPS, I never understand why this game was considerated to be great game.
the graphics are good, but the rest ....

Romeo
19th Jul 2008, 07:24
For me Halo was a cheap FPS, I never understand why this game was considerated to be great game.
the graphics are good, but the rest ....
Whether or not you enjoyed Halo, there's no denying that it was (the orginal) an innovative game for it's era. Intelligent enemies, vehicles, excellent visuals and to boot, it was on an infant console.

Interesting/great games that should be played:
Deus Ex
KOTOR/Mass effect
Tachyon: The fringe
Homeworld
System Shock 2
Halo
Myst
The sims
Portal
Metal Gear Solid
GTA 1 & 3
Rock Band
Grand Turismo

Games that I liked but fell short or didn't feel worth the time:
The Sims (1 & 2)
Eve Online
Mass effect
Elder scrolls: 3 & 4
Metal gear solid 4
Final Fantasy 7
Corono Trigger
Halo (2 & 3)
Soul Revere (any)
GTA4
Counter-Strike
Myst 5.
Resident evil 1 & 2.
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy.

Games I wish I never played:
Deus Ex 2
Almost any game based on a movie.
Soul Revere (any)
Myst 4.
It's actually spelled Gran Turismo, which translates into "Grand Touring". And while I thoroughly enjoy Gran Turismo, if you're looking for a more simulative experience, both TOCA and Forza are most realistic. =)

Oym
19th Jul 2008, 08:11
Yeah I agree , I don't consider Halo as a cheap fps , but it's far to be a perfect game , for sure .

Romeo is right , Halo proposed some interesting things .

HamburgerBoy
19th Jul 2008, 08:35
Whether or not you enjoyed Halo, there's no denying that it was (the orginal) an innovative game for it's era. Intelligent enemies, vehicles, excellent visuals and to boot, it was on an infant console.

The AI was as far from intelligent, especially with Half-Life having been released three years prior to it. Get past some slightly clever scripting and you can get almost any opponent stuck on any object, and worst of all it's easiest to bug the larger enemies. Vehicles in first person shooters existed before Halo and good graphics mean nothing when you repeat the same thing over and over. It's a totally worthless game and a travesty from the makers of Marathon.

Oym
19th Jul 2008, 08:37
I see that I'm not the only who noticed that Halo is repetitive .. :(

Voltaire
19th Jul 2008, 09:10
The reason that Halo is deemed a good game is that the multiplayer was amazing compared to anything that had come before. The guys at Bungie clearly sat down and spent plenty of time making the single-player game so that it was simple enough to whack straight onto an online server and attract thousands of gamers. At the time of writing there are probably still several thousand active gamers that regularly play, with an active clan structure and tournament rota. The gametypes are slightly varied (there is a "race" capability which got me hooked for a good while) and the environments are specifically designed for guerilla tactics and team efforts. It isn't in any way a sim, or vaguely realistic in terms of physics etc., but to me it is reminiscent of a really good game of paintball.

Now when we realise that there was only a year between the release dates of DX1 and Halo, the former is so obviously far inferior to the latter. DXMP felt wooden, forced, and... well, dirty. For me, it was sacrilege to play the multiplayer on Deus Ex, as it was taking the premise of a cool, stylish rpg/fps/whateverthehellyoucallit and then whitling it down to its pathetic bones and setting players loose in smuggler's den with throwing knives, energy swords and flamethrowers. Seriously, it was less clever than the multiplayer on Quake 2.

CarloGervasi
19th Jul 2008, 09:15
I'm currently an avid PC gamer, but Halo takes way more **** than it deserves. It's a series of truly fantastic FPS games (online or by yourself) that emerged on consoles rather than PCs, and I think some PC gamers are a little resentful of that for some reason.

Psychopomp
19th Jul 2008, 09:35
You want me to expand, the story twist sucks and I saw the whole thing from the beginning. The weapon selection is unoriginal and sucks completely, Could you get a modeler people? On top of which the only good thing was the map design. I will give it that, map design along with its ambiance music was good, but games are just more then shiny graphics and good music.

If you saw "Would you kindly?" comin', you must be ******* psychic.

Weapon selection unoriginal. You say as you post on the Deus Ex forums.

Also, why the Prince of Persia hate?

My must play list.

Bioshock-Overhyped? Maybe you just under-liked it. Easily the single most tense experience of my life and Ayn Ran-I mean Andrew Ryan is easily one of the most compelling villians in a long while.

To bad the last 30 minutes felt so out of place.

Prince of Persia-Platforming nirvana

Deus Ex-Need I say more?

Team Fortress 2-Never before has an multiplay FPS sucked away so many hours of my life.

X-Com-Turn Based Strategy, perfected

Red Orchestra-After a hell of a learning curve, you've got the single most realistic WW2 shooter ever.

Galaxy Wars-Best Robotron rip-off ever.

The entire Baldurs Gate Trilogy-One of the greatest PC gaming has to offer. Dragon Age seems poised to return us to the cRPG genres former glory.

The old Jane's flight simulators-How I miss them, even if I was in the single digits when they were released.

Knights of the Old Republic-No self respecting Star Wars fan *shouldn't* play this.

Jade Empire-Short? Yes. Sweet? Very yes.

MDK 2-Maddona Does Korea? Murder Death Kill? Mustached Dread King?

Starcraft + Brood War-The only RTS that has stayed installed on my PC for longer than a month.

Grim Fandango-The finest the adventure genre has to offer.

Devil May Cry-As juvenile as the series is, it's still damn fun and a the higher difficulties will challenge even the most hardcore gamer.

Sins of a Solar Empire-Remember what I said about Starcraft? I forgot about this.

Civ/GalCiv-Yes, I'm aware they're two different franchises from two different companies. They're still the best 4x games around, next to...

Dominions 3-Words cannot do it justice.

Half Life 1/2-...

Pathalogic-Buggy as hell, and some serious translation problems. However, if you can deal with that, this is a great, tough FPSRPG that cannot be described.

Morrowind-Hundreds of hours of wondering around in awe.

Fallout 1/2-Post-Apocalyptic cRPG with a helluva since of humor.

Painkiller-Because Doom 3 tripped in the dark and forgot it wasn't System Shock.

Chrono Cross-I should not be allowed to like a jRPG this much.

Metal Gear Solid 4-"Liquid!?" "BROTHER!"

Psychonauts-"I am the Milkman, my milk is delicious."

Beyond Good and Evil-When bad sales happen to great games. I **** a brick when BG&E 2 was announced.

Portal-"I have a recording of you on tape, 'HELLO THAR!' See, that's how stupid you sound!"

Audiosurf-What happens when you blend the rythym genre with puzzle game and an acid trip? Well, the best rythym/puzzle/acid trip ever.

Blue Dragon-Because every once in a while, someone makes a plot so bad, it's awesome. "I'll get you for this LANDSHARK!"

Super Mario Galaxy-"SUPER! MARIO! GALAXY!"

Oym
19th Jul 2008, 10:07
It's true that the halo multiplayer was famous .. I can't say anything about it 'cause I've never tried unfortunately :(

HouseOfPain
19th Jul 2008, 11:40
I'm currently an avid PC gamer, but Halo takes way more **** than it deserves. It's a series of truly fantastic FPS games (online or by yourself) that emerged on consoles rather than PCs, and I think some PC gamers are a little resentful of that for some reason.

Well Said.

I wish the gaming community would just.. merge? lol.

That wont happen unless you can get a good gaming rig for CHEAP and make it easier to assemble! New motherboard + 8800GT + 4 gigs of ram + new case = 4 days of work e.e

Romeo
20th Jul 2008, 10:46
The reason that Halo is deemed a good game is that the multiplayer was amazing compared to anything that had come before. The guys at Bungie clearly sat down and spent plenty of time making the single-player game so that it was simple enough to whack straight onto an online server and attract thousands of gamers. At the time of writing there are probably still several thousand active gamers that regularly play, with an active clan structure and tournament rota. The gametypes are slightly varied (there is a "race" capability which got me hooked for a good while) and the environments are specifically designed for guerilla tactics and team efforts. It isn't in any way a sim, or vaguely realistic in terms of physics etc., but to me it is reminiscent of a really good game of paintball.

Now when we realise that there was only a year between the release dates of DX1 and Halo, the former is so obviously far inferior to the latter. DXMP felt wooden, forced, and... well, dirty. For me, it was sacrilege to play the multiplayer on Deus Ex, as it was taking the premise of a cool, stylish rpg/fps/whateverthehellyoucallit and then whitling it down to its pathetic bones and setting players loose in smuggler's den with throwing knives, energy swords and flamethrowers. Seriously, it was less clever than the multiplayer on Quake 2.

I cannot recall the last time I went hopping through the middle of a field, with a paintball gun in each hand, on full auto and making no visible effort to take cover. And if I did recall doing it, I'm sure it wouldn't have been a good match of paintball. Gears of War is closer to paintball, in my opinion. It would be a perfect match if the health could be turned down. =)

Romeo
20th Jul 2008, 11:01
Well Said.

I wish the gaming community would just.. merge? lol.

That wont happen unless you can get a good gaming rig for CHEAP and make it easier to assemble! New motherboard + 8800GT + 4 gigs of ram + new case = 4 days of work e.e

I've always considered this. Now, for history's sake, I'll look back to the first console I owned: The Nintendo 64 (I wont count the original Nintendo, in an attempt to keep things relatively current). The N64 was perfect in the sense you could buy pretty much any game released, as it would be on your console. However, the N64 was also unintentionally responsable for killing off creative genious. When there's no competition, there's no pressure into making things better on the console's front, so the N64 never really bothered upgrading, adding value or changing itself up, at least until Playstation popped up. Secondly, the N64 was a curse with a cute bow on top for devellopers: Though one didn't have to worry about porting a game and making it work on a weaker model, the competition was all located in one central location, meaning whatever company had the deepest pockets could essentially hype their game to eliminate competition. This caused quite a few devellopers to close their doors, or started them on a slope into bankruptcy. With three consoles, that competition is divided by three (Not truly, but the point is understood). However, a multiconsole presents it's own problems, namely: Amazing content not being shared by all (this includes resources between these three that could be used to improve all consoles), and to a lesser extent, brand wars. The latter has become so severe companies are resorting to slander and lies to bolster their image compared to the competition's. As well, porting means that the weakest console holds back everyone else (Or in the Wii's case, left behind entirely. lol). In closing, though having a great merge would be nice, it would also create more problems than I think it's worth. Personally, I just buy whatever console seems best suited to my tastes, in this case, the 360.

HouseOfPain
20th Jul 2008, 17:13
I've always considered this. Now, for history's sake, I'll look back to the first console I owned: The Nintendo 64 (I wont count the original Nintendo, in an attempt to keep things relatively current). The N64 was perfect in the sense you could buy pretty much any game released, as it would be on your console. However, the N64 was also unintentionally responsable for killing off creative genious. When there's no competition, there's no pressure into making things better on the console's front, so the N64 never really bothered upgrading, adding value or changing itself up, at least until Playstation popped up. Secondly, the N64 was a curse with a cute bow on top for devellopers: Though one didn't have to worry about porting a game and making it work on a weaker model, the competition was all located in one central location, meaning whatever company had the deepest pockets could essentially hype their game to eliminate competition. This caused quite a few devellopers to close their doors, or started them on a slope into bankruptcy. With three consoles, that competition is divided by three (Not truly, but the point is understood). However, a multiconsole presents it's own problems, namely: Amazing content not being shared by all (this includes resources between these three that could be used to improve all consoles), and to a lesser extent, brand wars. The latter has become so severe companies are resorting to slander and lies to bolster their image compared to the competition's. As well, porting means that the weakest console holds back everyone else (Or in the Wii's case, left behind entirely. lol). In closing, though having a great merge would be nice, it would also create more problems than I think it's worth. Personally, I just buy whatever console seems best suited to my tastes, in this case, the 360.
I understand completely, by merge I didnt mean to just one console (Like EA wants) because I believe in the competitive way of making gaming consoles better.

If there was no PS3 or Wii or P.C. 360 would probably have graphics like a playstation 1.

Its only when P.C. or whatever comes out with better graphics, 360's gotta survive somehow.

That outcome can only be good for the consumer

urban_queen41
21st Jul 2008, 04:54
Oooh, another Abe fan! :cool:
Yeah, it was certainly a fun game to play and I thought the loading between screens/levels was very smooth and almost seamless. That was really refreshing to experience in a platform game of its time.

Abe's Oddysee is loading. GET OVER IT!

:D Me and my uncle quoted that so much.

Psychopomp
21st Jul 2008, 05:22
I cannot recall the last time I went hopping through the middle of a field, with a paintball gun in each hand, on full auto and making no visible effort to take cover. And if I did recall doing it, I'm sure it wouldn't have been a good match of paintball. Gears of War is closer to paintball, in my opinion. It would be a perfect match if the health could be turned down. =)

Well, considering Gears of War was conceived during a Paintball match...

Romeo
21st Jul 2008, 05:27
Well, considering Gears of War was conceived during a Paintball match...

That explains it. And just for the record, I just finished playing a match of paintball like I play Halo 3. It was hilarious to watch. Some poor fool (me) bouncing towards an enemy in the middle of the field. I got shot. Fast.

René
21st Jul 2008, 16:52
The Secret of Monkey Island (1990). LucasArts adventure games back in the day were great.

http://gargles.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/The%20Secret%20of%20Monkey%20Island.jpg

carldavid1887
21st Jul 2008, 18:57
I'm currently playing Jagged Alliance 2, Version 1.13
classic game, nicely modded, nothing more to say

Oym
21st Jul 2008, 19:47
Has anyone here heard about Alpha Centauri ?

Blade_hunter
21st Jul 2008, 19:48
It's not a game like commandos, but turn based ?

Oym
21st Jul 2008, 19:49
Alpha Centauri ?

jcp28
21st Jul 2008, 23:42
^
Isn't that some kind of strategy game? I find them hard to get into.

By the way, the first Red Faction rocked. The destructive environments were pretty good for it's time. The second one was slightly disappointing, however.

Romeo
22nd Jul 2008, 03:58
I want to play Spore. That's an original-looking game.

DXeXodus
22nd Jul 2008, 04:14
By the way, the first Red Faction rocked. The destructive environments were pretty good for it's time. The second one was slightly disappointing, however.

The first Red Faction was an amazing game. As you say, the destructive environments were revoloutionary at the time and to this day stand out as an example of how it should be done. Most games today still don't have destructive environments which says something for Red Faction and how ahead of it's time it was.

I don't know why they made Red Faction 2 so different. It really felt like a completely different game. But I'm starting to look forward to the third one, which will be 3rd person as far as I know.

iWait
22nd Jul 2008, 04:57
Alpha Centauri was great but it's sad that nobody knows about it.
Kinda funny when you think about all the fame the Civ series gets.

robotwo
22nd Jul 2008, 15:09
Saw someone mentioning AnotherWorld/Out of this world ... and thought , Wow , haven't played it for at least a month. So i ripped out my old Amiga A600 from my consoles/Pc's Pile and Played both AntoherWorld , KingsQuest1&2&3 , PoliceQuest , SpaceQuest1&2 , and North&South , aw god I love the Amiga D8

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Jul 2008, 15:17
Abe's Oddysee is loading. GET OVER IT!

:D Me and my uncle quoted that so much.

LOL, yeah... a very addictive game both in play and on-screen charm. :)

Right now, I'm waiting for "Velvet Assassin" to be released (September 08).
This should keep me happy while I wait for Deus Ex 3.
Its a mixture of a more stealthy Lara Croft with some Castle Wolfenstein, hehe. :D

http://www.gamecockmedia.com/velvet.html

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 07:50
I'm sorry if this comes across as overly negative, but the game looks a little dumbed down so far. It would be nice if it was a little bit... Stealthier. lol

Psychopomp
23rd Jul 2008, 13:59
Bioshock:A Defence (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88881)

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 14:11
Bioshock:A Defence (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88881)

But when the response to a patch with free new content is just a shrug and a bunch of whining over free stuff, I can't help but think we - as a community - need a good slapping and a reminder that we should be a little bit grateful.

It's that type of mindset that gets us DX:IW.

Being "grateful" is when a publisher produces a game that is more than just a pretty picture -- it can play well; for SP, have a good storyline; isn't dependent on patches to even work; and no hidden surprises.

Remember when Bioshock was released and the set # activation issue (what caused an uproar)? Remember BF2142 and the ingame advertizing (not mentioned on the box, but inside so folks couldn't even opt out of buying the game)? Those uproars -- which get the hard-to-find publisher bigwigs to actually address the gaming community -- and the negativity towards a game afterwards is due to publishers trying to sneak in bad junk and not letting the gamer have a choice to opt out BEFORE buying the game.

No, gamers will not be "grateful" of bad marketing decisions. They pay good money, and want truth in advertizing.

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 14:31
Yes, I think one walks a dangerous line with advertising. If done blatently, such as EA makes a habit of doing, it simply ruins the experience. However, when done interestingly, such as Crackdown (With billboards that could update and change) it does permit a company to be able to spend a little more time working on the game if need be, without losing too much profit.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 14:52
Yes, I think one walks a dangerous line with advertising. If done blatently, such as EA makes a habit of doing, it simply ruins the experience. However, when done interestingly, such as Crackdown (With billboards that could update and change) it does permit a company to be able to spend a little more time working on the game if need be, without losing too much profit.

That's what BF2142 did. Nothing ruins immersion more than playing in 2142 and seeing an ad for Intel processors (even if tastefully done). But luckily the community found a way to disable the ads, and the issue became moot afterwards.

The publishers need to put such stuff on the box, so when folks pick it up and read the fine print (especially system requirements, they'll see any pre-conditions). Anything less is a bait-and-switch merchandising. Publishers who don't self-police themselves will soon learn what regulation means (and more than ESRB) -- as Johnny 15 year-old's mommy and daddy may even be offended enough to call for some heads politically.

Bad enough folks have to copy DVD movies to disable the 10 minute worth of ads (I paid for the movie, and NOT going to be forced to watch junk), gamers may have to do the same if game publishers follow that same course (like disabling the ability to hit ESC to bypass the 3 to 5 .bik movies).

Want revenue? Make good games that keep gamers playing them!

Romeo
23rd Jul 2008, 14:58
I understand your point, but sometimes sales alone wont produce enough income to warrent spending years and years on devellopment, hence allowing advertising. Again, I don't mind walking into a modern room and seeing a Coca-Cola bottle on a table, or walking around a Vegas casino and seeing a Dodge Nitro on the showroom floor, because it strikes me as being realistic, instead of advertising. What killed me was playing Need for Speed: ProStreet, and unlocking the "One race without crashing. Brought to you by Progressive Insurence!" or such things. There is ways to do advertising properly, which I recall IGN doing an article on...

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 15:30
I understand your point, but sometimes sales alone wont produce enough income to warrent spending years and years on devellopment, hence allowing advertising. Again, I don't mind walking into a modern room and seeing a Coca-Cola bottle on a table, or walking around a Vegas casino and seeing a Dodge Nitro on the showroom floor, because it strikes me as being realistic, instead of advertising. What killed me was playing Need for Speed: ProStreet, and unlocking the "One race without crashing. Brought to you by Progressive Insurence!" or such things. There is ways to do advertising properly, which I recall IGN doing an article on...

When modders can't even add a Coke bottle into a game (ever read the limits on distributing mods?), why should we be forced to see them? If you're a Pepsi fan, seeing a Coke product would just kill the moment, too.

Then if there is a Coke bottle in the game, and a modder is a Pepsi fan, will there be legal/licensing restraints in changing it?

See the mess?

Tolerable for ads marketing the game on the box and maybe a .bik ad, but not ingame. No one knows what product will exist in 2050+ anyway.

Psychopomp
23rd Jul 2008, 15:31
It's that type of mindset that gets us DX:IW.

Being "grateful" is when a publisher produces a game that is more than just a pretty picture -- it can play well; for SP, have a good storyline; isn't dependent on patches to even work; and no hidden surprises.

Remember when Bioshock was released and the set # activation issue (what caused an uproar)? Remember BF2142 and the ingame advertizing (not mentioned on the box, but inside so folks couldn't even opt out of buying the game)? Those uproars -- which get the hard-to-find publisher bigwigs to actually address the gaming community -- and the negativity towards a game afterwards is due to publishers trying to sneak in bad junk and not letting the gamer have a choice to opt out BEFORE buying the game.

No, gamers will not be "grateful" of bad marketing decisions. They pay good money, and want truth in advertizing.

I think you're missing the point. It's perfectly fine to complain about the DRM in Bioshock, but when they remove it and people still proceed to complain about *that* and free stuff, we need a good slapping.

Kevyne-Shandris
23rd Jul 2008, 15:48
I think you're missing the point. It's perfectly fine to complain about the DRM in Bioshock, but when they remove it and people still proceed to complain about *that* and free stuff, we need a good slapping.

That's the norm. Take a peek at snarkiness over the Oblivion paid mods. Heck, F.E.A.R. with the free MP release.

After the ingame ad junk with BF2142 I refused to buy the mini-addon Northern Strike in protest (even though I really liked the game, even when I could bypass the ads).

Not rewarding bad marketing with even $10.

Psychopomp
24th Jul 2008, 05:43
That's the norm.

That's the point. We complain, when we should rejoice. The dev's see that they screwed up and fix the problem, and then we *****.

As for the in-game advertising thing, your method is a self-fulfilling prophecy. To not buy a game because of in-game advertising will only lead to more in-game advertising.

It's like some of the people on the Bioware boards saying that they will not buy another Bioware game, because they don't want to give EA any money, due to their old practice of royally screwing over the dev's the buy out.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 07:39
That's the point. We complain, when we should rejoice. The dev's see that they screwed up and fix the problem, and then we *****.

Rejoice just brings us DX:IW (that, "take it or leave it" publisher attitude). Like with the devs trying to scounge around for money, fans have to scounge around for recognition of their needs in a game.

It's like in all thing in life -- you have to fight for your rights.

As for the in-game advertising thing, your method is a self-fulfilling prophecy. To not buy a game because of in-game advertising will only lead to more in-game advertising.

Actually, games aren't even essential. Not buying Northern Strike saved me $10, and in the process I'm free from EA, too! :)

Secondly, any game that forces ads in game, despite paying for the game itself, is nixed from my game roster (careless how popular they can be -- it's principle over popularity always with me). That means if 99% of the publishers will be doing it, I will only buy that 1% of games.

I don't buy games because it's "kewl" or popular, I buy games that play well and I can do something other than being a meat/puppet.

It's like some of the people on the Bioware boards saying that they will not buy another Bioware game, because they don't want to give EA any money, due to their old practice of royally screwing over the dev's the buy out.

Read above. Yes, gamers do have principles, and it's not just over buyouts. A publisher that disses them, they diss the publisher. It's just how it is, as gamers are paying good money for these games. And some aren't so casual to not care about them.

Eidos saving grace is DX. Now there's some hope DX3 can resurrect what is good in DX and expand it. But if DX3 is a Bioshock-type-mass-appeal-dumbed-down-console-trash...ah...I'll be sad, but byebye Eidos. After the major publishers are over, it's total indie games from there on, if that's the strongarm technique the corps are using now.

But in the end, games aren't food. I can deal without a game for 5 years (or just replay my older collection), so any of those bait-and-switch and strongarm techniques is just a lost sale, eitherway.

EDIT: And about EA, again... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194934.html Can folks see how gamers can say, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"??

Psychopomp
24th Jul 2008, 19:04
Rather than answering my points, you're either evading them, or don't understand them.

"Bioshock-type-mass-appeal-dumbed-down-console-trash."

Elitism much?

Bioshock is a masterpiece.

Simplicity isn't inherently bad.

Console Gaming isn't inherently bad.

If you refuse to buy a game because it's made by EA or in-game advertising, it's your loss. Unlike refusing to buy a game because of SecuROM, all you'll do is encourage EA's old practices. That's why I still purchase Biowares products, because I fear that without strong support, they will go the way of every other EA buyout.

Your last post makes me think you don't know what "Self Fulfilling Prophecy" means.

and if thinking that makes me meat-puppet than i'm more than happy to have the strings.

To hell with all this elitist crap, you're as bad as the Final Fantasy and Halo fanboys whether you want to believe it or not.

"I buy games that play well."

REALLY? According to you, you will buy games that play well under the condition that there is nothing superfluous to the core gameplay that you don't like.

In the end, A good game is a good game, and that should always be rewarded above all else, short of SecuROM DRM.

Edit:Also, how the hell do you keep managing to miss my "The dev's realize their mistake, fix it and then we *****" point? You say we have to fight for our rights. I agree, But when they give us our rights WE STILL ***** ABOUT THEM.

Kevyne-Shandris
24th Jul 2008, 19:39
If you refuse to buy a game because it's made by EA or in-game advertising, it's your loss. Unlike refusing to buy a game because of SecuROM, all you'll do is encourage EA's old practices.

SecuROM isn't even a hassle. How else do you think things like GameJackal can work if SecuROM is in the way? It's bypassed. Just like the DVD encryptions and even Macrovision.

I like region free DVD players. Not because I don't buy DVDs, but I don't buy just Region-1 DVDs. Having 1/2/3 DVD players to play different DVDs is a waste. Then I hate the forced commercials, so I rip them out. It's a little work, but instead of throwing my hands up, I find a way to watch what I bought how I want to watch it -- with added content or not.

With the EA ingame advertizing, I won't buy another EA game until they reform as I HATE COMMERCIALS (I edited them out everywhere). I don't need the games, it's optional. So boycotting their products doesn't affect much of my life. With 101 games out each year, there's PLENTY to chose from.

Psychopomp
25th Jul 2008, 03:03
I'd be all for just cracking it, if it wasn't for the fact that SecuROM is insanely hard to wipe from your computer. It's better not to deal with it all together.

"With the EA ingame advertizing, I won't buy another EA game until they reform."

That's fine, but their are people out there who refuse to touch anything that EA has been anywhere near. That I have a problem with. To refuse to buy something on principle is fine, I won't touch anything that has SecuROM, but to refuse to buy something because you don't won't to supply someone with money ludicrous. Like I said, a good game is a good game, regardless of pedigree.

By the way, have you looked at EA's line-up this year? I pooped when I realized Mirror's Edge was an EA game...

I think that their new CEO is completely serious when he says he wants fix the problems with EA. Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, the fact that their essentially leaving Bioware to their own designs...

Kevyne-Shandris
25th Jul 2008, 06:41
I'd be all for just cracking it, if it wasn't for the fact that SecuROM is insanely hard to wipe from your computer. It's better not to deal with it all together.

SecuROM isn't the problem. It's bypassable -- enough to stop your average 15 year-old ripping companies off (the ones you HAVE to put breaks on). It's StarForce (the one Ubisoft used that caused WWIII, and a classic rootkit hell to remove. That crossed the line between protecting property and possibly ruining other property, a no-no).

Encryption I don't really mind too much, as companies have to stay in business. As long as I'm legal, and I can bypass it for my personal needs (like removing commericals; or making a playing copy of a disk -- no more production disks in the DVD. Can't find the DX disk now and it's getting harder to get a GOTY disk edition of DX!!), I can live with it.

But forcing ingame commericals, that's where I draw the line. Some folks don't care about them, but I do. Ruins immersion, and I like to play immersed.

Psychopomp
25th Jul 2008, 09:24
Uh, SecuROM is the new Starforce, complete with bricked computers, and registry digging to remove it.

http://www.the-prism.com/index.php?topic=119.0

http://www.oneworldsims.com/the-sas/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=81

http://securom.mustbedestroyed.org/phorum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37

DXeXodus
25th Jul 2008, 09:34
This is going quite off topic guys.

Psychopomp
25th Jul 2008, 12:39
We're, uh...
We're giving...
Example of stuff we don't want to see in Deus Ex 3? :whistle:

Kevyne-Shandris
25th Jul 2008, 13:22
We're, uh...
We're giving...
Example of stuff we don't want to see in Deus Ex 3? :whistle:

lololol

So what to talk about now? Posted at Gamespot's DX/3 forums, and was so bored, even posted on the F.E.A.R. one (at least I can advertize what is a good game!).

Psychopomp
25th Jul 2008, 15:07
Well, that bit on the airplane wa-no wait, that's been discussed to death.

OH!

The bit where your reading the news post that says ICAR-damnit.

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL, ****.

EDIT:I guess we could do what we do over at the Bioware forums, and ask the same questions until the dev's cave in and give us an answer!

TarsasTexan
4th Aug 2008, 11:56
Gothic 1/2/3
Neverwinter Nights (NWN2 sucks)
Halo 1/2 (havent played 3 yet)
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (XBOX)
Icewind Dale 1 and 2

Bluey71
4th Aug 2008, 16:42
Rejoice just brings us DX:IW (that, "take it or leave it" publisher attitude). Like with the devs trying to scounge around for money, fans have to scounge around for recognition of their needs in a game.

It's like in all thing in life -- you have to fight for your rights.

EDIT: And about EA, again... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194934.html Can folks see how gamers can say, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"??

This kind of thing has been going on for years now. Developers produce a good game, big publisher buys small developer, developer starts pushing out c**p - no matter what that games community says, or does.

Ill be honest and say that Im not 100% sure the advent of console's is to blame, my own personal feeling is that publishers are getting super lazy and super greedy with it. Perhaps the laziness IS a result of console development - I dont know, but greed...

Right now I cant help but feel we are in the dark ages for video game development. I say this because a lot of the things that made pc gaming great is starting to or already has, dissappeared - such as large gaming/modding communities.

Remember the old Ion Storm board?

There is a ton of examples I could give - but would take me too off topic.

Anyhow, take a lok at this site. http://www.blackfootstudios.com/

Read through the forums and look at how this company is funding its project - at least partially. Yes Ground Branch is a very different game to Dx etc but that doesnt matter. It's how Blackfoot are handling Ground Branch's development which is important. Look at the interaction between developers and their customers to be.
Another big plus for Blackfoot is the recent licensing of the unreal engine - that will please the modders, and ensure the growth and longevity of the Ground Branch community.

A lot of the members on that forum are ex OGR (old ghost recon) players. Thats the style of game they like and thats the style of game they expected from the ghost recon:advanced warfighter series from ubisoft.

Needless to say, they didnt get what they wanted, and the game, and the community, died. It should be noted here that there was a distinct lack of support coming ubisoft for both of the advanced warfighter games.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44803

What Blackfoot is doing is different and will hopefully be successful. I'd like to think that other devlopers would take a leaf from thier book.

If it is successful, I just hope Blackfoot can fend off any buyout offers from any of the large publishers...

minus0ne
4th Aug 2008, 16:56
Elitism much?
Grammar, read up on, you should.

Unless you're one of those "much"-trolls and are raping the English language on purpose.

Clucky
4th Aug 2008, 17:04
Half-life 1 & 2
Knights of the old Republic (II as well, to a lesser extent)
TES IV: Oblivion
Mass Effect
No One Lives Forever

These are all ones that have sprung to my mind, I have played many other great games besides. :)

timborg
6th Aug 2008, 08:00
Half-life 1 & 2
Knights of the old Republic (II as well, to a lesser extent)
TES IV: Oblivion
Mass Effect
No One Lives Forever

These are all ones that have sprung to my mind, I have played many other great games besides. :)

i agree but KOTOR 2 was realy weird they really should make another to explain it all

Cr4sh
6th Aug 2008, 08:38
So, now I'll post my favourite games in order:

1. Gothic, Gothic 2 + Addon. Anyone who likes RPG with Story (not like Diablo ;-)) should give Gothic a try, although the Controls are very unnormal...

2. Deus Ex. What should I say? We all now an worship it. Just playing it at the moment, next I'll try a "kill noone (except gunther and navarre with killswitch)"-run.

3. Mafia. What a hell of an atmospheric shooter! Ways better than GTA, although GTA is not bad.

4. Trackmania (all parts). The hours I spent only playing the first DEMO of this game would fit in two or three normal GAMES...

5. Prince Of Persia - every Part. I finished every part except PoP II - The Shadow And The Flame. But they all were great experience and/or nostalgic-emotional.

6. GTA-VC. This was the only GTA-part that really had style. It was not as gansta-*****-dirty as the rest, and I appreciate that.

9. Fable.This one was fun, too, until I tried to play it as bad boy... just not my style :whistle:

8. Vampire Bloodlines. Also very cool TPS-RPG, although I must admit I never played it through, only to the first of two bosses...

9. IL2-Sturmovik. Was the game that made me want to go to the german airforce once ^^. Just veeery cool moments, i.e. when flying under a bridge, doing a looping and managing to fly under the bridge again or curving in a battle, seeing an enemy plane on the very left side of the screen, fireing once, hitting the motor and getting the guy down XD. When I finally stopped playing it, I managed to land the plane safely in about 50% of the tries ^^.

10. GTA SA. For the extreme freedom once you had played it all free... Ever stole a tank from the area-51-aquivalent?

Romeo
6th Aug 2008, 23:13
Yeah, TrackMania is pretty good. Still, Forza still ranks higher, in my opinion, thanks to the level of customization options. Few others games let you build a car that drives realistically, tune it, throw on bodykits and rims, mod the engine and drivetrain and then paint it literally any way you please. It's ridiculous.

teknikal-vision
8th Aug 2008, 05:46

Finally someone else agrees with my point of view; Doom 3 was crap. Endless corridoors of annoying unable-to-see-ness and uninspiring locations and characters and repetitive gameplay.

I guess I'm still the only one though who thinks Quake 4 was a much better game compared to Doom 3. Why? 'Cause it had variety.

Romeo
8th Aug 2008, 05:59
Well, that bit on the airplane wa-no wait, that's been discussed to death.

OH!

The bit where your reading the news post that says ICAR-damnit.

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL, ****.

EDIT:I guess we could do what we do over at the Bioware forums, and ask the same questions until the dev's cave in and give us an answer!

Gosh, I remember those forums. I love BioWare, but their forums we're fairly poor in regards to caring about the community. I got more information from a guy that became a mod BEFORE he became a mod. After he was inducted, the community just nose-dived as the same things were constantly being restated by some new guy that was too impatient to search. And so, one by one, the classic people began to leave, until virtually everyone was replaced. Then I left because I didn't know or like the remaining members, and I too was irritated that I could read on IGN months in advance than their own site. Eidos, from what I've seen so far, tends to be much more proficient in taking care of their community, even though their has been a lack of intel, at least we get it here first when it does come out.

jcp28
8th Aug 2008, 20:23
Finally someone else agrees with my point of view; Doom 3 was crap. Endless corridoors of annoying unable-to-see-ness and uninspiring locations and characters and repetitive gameplay.

I guess I'm still the only one though who thinks Quake 4 was a much better game compared to Doom 3. Why? 'Cause it had variety.

Having never played Q4, I can't say, but I'll take your word for it, mainly because Doom 3 was repetitive, which was a shame, because I felt a lot more could have been done if they hadn't decided to go with the simplistic game design.

Romeo
8th Aug 2008, 21:22
Haha, yeah, I hate to say this though, but Doom has always been a little repetative, hasn't it? lol