PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh...Looks like somebody isn't listening...

AgnosticJive
22nd Jun 2008, 23:39
While I'm aware that the 1-up interview with the french canadian dude has been out for a while...something recently caught my eye.
"But we're not working on current or last gen, it's next-gen and PC. "
Maybe somebody has posted this before...I don't care, I haven't seen it on here so whatever. Apparently some industry members are expecting this to mean it will at least be available on the 360 due to its market success.
Thank god the developers read these forums so religiously as to not disappoint the sixty members who rant and rave about how they each want their own personal deus ex to be made.
It's possible it will be PC-only...but not likely. Too bad forum, too bad.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 00:14
You mean this interview:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164708

And this statement by Stephane D'Astous:

Well, we did that on purpose, because we wanted to tease. I think we've successfully done that if we look at the forums and all the websites. What I can say is that our business plan here in Montreal, which was announced back in February of this year, basically we said that we are going to work only on triple A major titles and only on next-gen technology and PC. We're also going to have smaller development teams of 80 members at the peak, but by achieving that we need to give the dev teams at least a 24-month period of production. If you read between the lines, I cannot say exactly which are the platforms that we'll be working on specifically. It's going to be announced in maybe early 2008 or maybe summer. But we're not working on current or last gen, it's next-gen and PC.

Well, Stephane does confirm that they do look at forums, so that is positive. :cool:

Personally, I really don't care what platform it comes out on. I prefer PC but consoles are fine. All that matters to me is that they give us a deep, meaningful, beautiful and finely polished game. I hope so. :)

AgnosticJive
23rd Jun 2008, 00:22
Yeah...he also says all the websites...but there's only an official website and an official forum,lol. And I meant to link to the interview, thanks for saving me time. Now the issue is Wikipedia is stating that it's going to be available on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC sometime in 2009. 1-Up is is stating it will be available in December of 2008 on PC. Who knows...there's no idea as to when the next press release is so it'll remain a mystery for a while.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 00:29
No problems, glad I saved you some time. :)

Oh, Wikipedia?! :nut:
I take most stuff I read there (the fairly new and unsourced info anyway) with a very large bucket of salt.
Its a great place for starting rumours... so I try not to bother looking. ;)

AgnosticJive
23rd Jun 2008, 00:45

I take most stuff I read there (the fairly new and unsourced info anyway) with a very large bucket of salt.

Well as luck would have it, the consoles were cited from a source. I'm well aware of the stigma wikipedia carries, but it's no more susceptible to insanity and rumor-mongering than any other information found on the internet, so as long as I see a citation from a somewhat reputable source, I will take it in good faith until proven or informed otherwise.

minus0ne
23rd Jun 2008, 01:28
I'm sorry, I'm missing the point of this thread :confused: You thought it was going to be PC-exclusive? Or...what?

Romeo
23rd Jun 2008, 02:22

Madam Denton... That is quite unhealthy, it has terrible cardiovascular consequences. =(

Tsumaru
23rd Jun 2008, 06:28
Isn't the point of the saying "with a grain of salt" meant to illustrate how small the value you place on the information. To "take it with a very large bucket of salt" would kind of indicate that you think it's a brilliant source of information and needs little or no further confirmation. o_O

Also, as Romeo just informed us, it comes with a risk of high blood pressure. =O

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2008, 07:26
LOL. :D
I'm paranoid, I need the BUCKET of salt to make sure I am completely 'cleansed' from Wiki's wicked consequences, hehe. :p

jcp28
23rd Jun 2008, 23:02
All this really does is confirm what was likely their plan from the outset. It's all about money these days. So naturally, Eidos will go the way to gurantee themselves the most profit. And that's to release it on consoles the same time it's being released on PC.

AaronJ
24th Jun 2008, 00:31
PC

No response to the happiness this generates could be appropriate and not spam.

Lo Bruto
24th Jun 2008, 04:42
PC ONLY FOR LIFE.
TO THE HELL WITH YOU CONSOLE BASTARDS.

Just kidding. :o

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2008, 04:49
I'll probably get it over Steam for the "first experience" and then on the 360 so I can show it to my friends.

And Achievement Whoring. ;)

Chandu
27th Jun 2008, 07:33
I do not care if this is a PC exclusive or not, just as long as the game isn't delayed/unconfirmed for the PC (like GTA 4).

I just want this game to completely optimized for the PC; hope it doesn't go in the same direction as Deus Ex 2; which I am currently playing. I am annoyed with the load times, and combat - doesn't really feel like a PC shooter, to me at least.

So, I hope deus ex 3 doesn't disappoint.

AaronJ
27th Jun 2008, 13:39
Keep in mind the engine. Look at the similarities between TRL for PC and TRL for 360. The entire game is the same.

Blade_hunter
27th Jun 2008, 14:27
This is the game developers fault not the machines themselves, Empire Earth is a PC game and it looks to be a console game when we take a look at the third episode simplifications at all sides.
A console with less power than a PC can be more powerful than a PC because the console haven't an heavy OS to manage the softwares
I think the controls and the screens can be the main drawback of consoles, and most of time it implies some horrible simplifications to games.
Now the screens have a better resolution than before, but the games actually uses always great icons and intrusive HUDs, even if the amount of informations are low.
The consoles have a great weakness and this weakness is the controller. and adapt the game to theses controllers are harder than a keybord + mouse
And choose the right way to adapt PC systems to consoles is pretty hard

Theses weaknesses make the games simpler than PC games
And the game developers prefers throw gameplay elements than enrich it and keep them accessible with ease
The console development is a mean to make cheap games when I see some sites of the game press the same game have a better note on consoles than the PC version

I think the game can be multi platform and be developed for PC first and adapted for consoles
I don't think games like Crysis will stay always on the PC platform ....

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 20:44
I think the game can be multi platform and be developed for PC first and adapted for consoles...

Yes, that would be the way to go, in my opinion. :)

Romeo
3rd Jul 2008, 08:14
Doesn't really matter which one they devellop for first, so long as there is a dedicated effort towards computers. Personally, I've noticed none of you have seen the advantages to having it released on consoles, namely: Graphics. In consoles, they have a bar to aim for which tends to elevate graphical prowess. And also, downloadable content. I've noticed PC-exclusive games these days tend to be released and abandonned (no disrespect) whereas console games or multiplatform games tend to release more content post launch in order to attract more gamers (although this is sometimes a double-edged sword, when devellopers abuse it to squeeze more money out of the community).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Jul 2008, 08:36
For me, I have just always preferred to play most games on my PC.
Call me lazy, but I find the mouse control much more effective for 'visual' movement, and the keyboard for 'physical' movement.
Console controllers frustrate the hell out of me when it comes to looking around or moving in a certain direction.
I know it is just a personal 'habit' preference that my brain has become accustomed to... but there you go. :p

Romeo
3rd Jul 2008, 17:05
I don't know, I know quite a few that prefer mouse to controller when it comes to shooting. Personally, I always prefer controller, save for real time strategy games.