PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

Marvi_I
22nd Jun 2008, 18:59
Hi people,

My mate told me to play Deus Ex and I just have a few questions.

Does anyone know where I can get the game from?

My friend also told me about a second game, what is it called and where can I get it from?

Also, does the story line continue from the first game to the second?

Lastly, what does Deus Ex actually mean?

I'm new so I don't know if these questions have already been answered but I appreciate it if you could tell me the answers.

Thanks, I am looking foward to playing these games. :)

SageSavage
22nd Jun 2008, 19:18
Hi people,

Hi

eBay, Amazon Marketplace or Steam. I recommend a non-Steam version because the Steam version leads to some issues with mods.

My friend also told me about a second game, what is it called and where can I get it from?

Deus Ex: Invisible War. Bargain bins, eBay, Steam, Amazon, etc...

Yes. Be sure to play the the original Deus Ex first. Invisible War plays and feels a bit different.

Deus Ex (Machina) means "ghost in the machine".

I'm new so I don't know if these questions have already been answered but I appreciate it if you could tell me the answers.

Yeah, they have been answered a thousand times before but nevermind because this franchise has a pretty loyal and die hard community which is also still coming up with fresh mods. Check this thread for some interesting links: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=73493

MaxxQ1
22nd Jun 2008, 19:25
Hi people,

1) The game is a free download from Gametap. It's the Game of the Year version. http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050

2) Deus Ex: Invisible War. Gametap has it as well, but I don't think it's it's free.

3) Sort of. Well, yes...but a lot of people would rather delete IW from the DX universe.

4) Deus Ex = God from. It's short for the phrase Deus ex machina, literally, god from the machine, a reference to the cranes used in ancient Greek plays when an actor portraying a god or godlike being would descend from above onto the stage to resolve some unsolvable plot point.

The questions HAVE been answered, and a simple Google or Wikipedia search will give you all the answers you needed, but I'm bored and don't really mind answering.:D

Enjoy the game(s).

Luminous Path
22nd Jun 2008, 19:28
Deus Ex (Machina) means "ghost in the machine".

Fox is correct in this statement. However, as a scholar of latin, 'Deus Ex' can be translated in a different context.

'Deus' is latin for god or deity.

'Ex' represents 'out of', 'from within', or 'from/on account of.'

Deus Ex can thus be translated as 'From God'. Perhaps quite fitting when put in context with the game.

SageSavage
22nd Jun 2008, 19:31
4) Deus Ex = God from. It's short for the phrase Deus ex machina, literally, god from the machine
Um, you're right. :o I keep confusing Ghost in the Shell with Deus Ex...
This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

A deus ex machina (Latin IPA: [ˈdeːus eks ˈmaːkʰina] (literally "god out of a machine") is an improbable contrivance in a story. The phrase describes an artificial, or improbable, character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot (such as an angel suddenly appearing to solve problems, or the entire story having been just a dream one of the characters was having).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

I don't know about Luminous Path's suggestion since I have never learned the Latin language.

Luminous Path
22nd Jun 2008, 20:25
I think the assertion that deus ex refers to deus ex machina is the most likely. After reading the wikipedia statement the definintion of deus ex machina does seem to fit with the dx story. The only reason i though it may be 'from god' in the literal sense is in context with the release of the Grey Death and the Versalife/MJ12/Page control of the vaccine. Maybe its a combination of both definitions?

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 06:01
Hey I won't bombar you with answers you already seem to have now, just say a friendly welcome and tell you that I am new as well but I hope to see all sorts of theories pop up for deus ex 3's launch date seems to be getting close. (One can hope its not rushed)

M_I
23rd Jun 2008, 13:59
Thanks people. I'm going to go play it now.

AgnosticJive
23rd Jun 2008, 15:07
...deus ex 3's launch date seems to be getting close. (One can hope its not rushed)

Wow...wow. Obviously your school taught you some archaic or ill concieved version of the word "close."

Luminous Path
23rd Jun 2008, 16:39
lol

Tsumaru
24th Jun 2008, 15:08
Wow...wow. Obviously your school taught you some archaic or ill concieved version of the word "close."

I think he may have meant it in relation to the end of humanity, or maybe in relation to the launch date of Duke Nukem Forever.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2008, 15:40
Deus Ex Machina means "God from the Machine" which is a reference to Greek plays, but in Deus Ex's case, it means that JC Denton becomes a god, from the machines. The machines make men gods. Well, whoever's augmented in the game I guess.

stokesy131
24th Jun 2008, 18:57
Hi people,

get it from megaupload free , like my mate , i bought it though cos im honest :D

second is invisible war , get that from amazon or summin

3rd q dunno , not got second

deus ex means god from a machine

*edit* only just noticed how old this topic is , and how many people have already posted :$

jamesthefishy
24th Jun 2008, 19:27

closer* typo geeze.