PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot Breaks Release Date News (?)

LORD BLACKFIRE
22nd Jun 2008, 17:32
Gamespot lists 12/30/08 as the release date for BS: Pacific . . . but only in one place can you find it.

Go to http://www.gamespot.com/ and scroll down to near the bottom left. You'll find a Most Popular box. Look at # 6 - BS: Pacific.

Only there will you find 12/30/08. Every other location at Gamespot says TBA.

I don't know if Gamespot is guessing, messed up and posted early, or what.

Credit goes to Sith Darthfoxx for finding this.

billyfromhill
22nd Jun 2008, 21:19
I found this. Read the second reply of the "Pacific Trailer" thread. I got it off Gamespot Mobile on my iPod touch.

Arrow
23rd Jun 2008, 00:44
Gamespot lists 12/30/08 as the release date for BS: Pacific . . . but only in one place can you find it.

Go to http://www.gamespot.com/ and scroll down to near the bottom left. You'll find a Most Popular box. Look at # 6 - BS: Pacific.

Only there will you find 12/30/08. Every other location at Gamespot says TBA.

I don't know if Gamespot is guessing, messed up and posted early, or what.

Credit goes to Sith Darthfoxx for finding this.

12/30/08 sounds somewhat like a default date, being the second-last day of the year and all...now that I think about it, I highly doubt it for one simple reason. It's a complete miss of the Christmas season and New Years.

LORD BLACKFIRE
23rd Jun 2008, 15:25
12/30/08 sounds somewhat like a default date, being the second-last day of the year and all...now that I think about it, I highly doubt it for one simple reason. It's a complete miss of the Christmas season and New Years.

I agree with you but there are some reasons to give the date some credibility:

1. Other games have come out a few days after Christmas such as Mech Assault 2 and Dead or Alive 4, both for the 360.
2. The 30th is a Monday which puts the game on store shelves on a Tuesday - a traditional day for video game arrivals (Fri. - Mon. almost never see new releases unless it's Nintendo)
3. The thinking behind releasing games a few days after Christmas is to:

A. catch all the males with giftcards - major sales here
B. give new 360 owners something to catch their eye during the holidays
C. avoid the monster game releases like Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 5, etc. that occur in November.4. 12/30 is still considered to be in the holiday buying season by retailers. Midway released in early February - not the best time of year to release a game.

Arrow
23rd Jun 2008, 19:45
Possible, but I imagine that 80% of all people have already gotten New Years gifts by the 30th. I don't see a reason why they can't release it earlier, to make it in time for Christmas, but I'm neither a marketing professional nor a game programmer, so I guess there must be something. I'm waiting for something a little more reliable first though.

It3llig3nc3
9th Jul 2008, 18:22
Well let's speculate for the release date a bit.

If you assume that EIDOS has a "template" for product releases where they go through several must-do actions before release date we can deduct the events based on what happened with BS:M back in 2006/2007

1. The BS:M Website started to become active Sept 2006 which was roughly 6 months before the release date (D-Day)
2. More news were leaked through various channels during Sept-Oct with some pictures and stories
3. Big pre-release event took place mid December 2006
4. Demo was only released a few weeks before the launch date

If I want to be optimistic and believe in the 6 months long pre-launch activity plan it can be safely assumed that the game will be released around Xmas latest, since it has already been started :)

Taking a more realistic approach I would say 1Q 2009 at best given the fact that the currently released video trailer has no more than the "movie" version of the screenshots that has been circulating around for months ==> showing that the game development hasn't advanced a lot.

Moreover as many suggested for EIDOS, for BS:P it would be highly recommended to do a large BETA TESTING to confirm the network functionality and the announce revised game interface. Even if this slows things done would worth it...

CSF_FatalKontak
9th Jul 2008, 18:54
Hi,

Eidos need money (everyone needs money :lol: ), so perhaps it can be released, or at least a demo before, between september and november to get some income on the game this year.

Well i hope it :nut:

Launch it now :thumbsup:

FatalKontak

Arrow
9th Jul 2008, 20:00
No. Don't release it until it's ready. I'll wait as long as it takes, but just remind everyone now and then your game still exists. =P

skyfox
10th Jul 2008, 06:19
No. Don't release it until it's ready. I'll wait as long as it takes, but just remind everyone now and then your game still exists. =P

Hey, man, that is Bllizzard's style... 5-6 years for a mature and classic game. Waiting for starcraft 2 and diablo 3...:p

Arrow
10th Jul 2008, 19:26
But at the same time they should keep updating the old stuff so people don't lose interest in that. The Battle.net Starcraft Compendium keeps being updated regardless - not via news, but via maps. That's why a map editor is essential to keep interest.