PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 - Pre-Launch Fan Contest ?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 10:29
I hope Eidos may consider opening a fan contest before or for the pre-launch, anyone agree?

Nothing requiring too much technical know-how, of course. Something simple that everyone can easily participate in.
Obviously, by the time Eidos may decide upon such a contest, we will know much more about the basic storyline and dynamics of DX3.

Some possible contest examples:

1. STREET POSTER
Create a typical advertising poster that epitomises the age and lifestyle of the game setting. For example, a poster about crime, food stuffs, transport, health, politics etc.

2. INHABITANT/RACE SKETCH
Draw a sketch of a known but further evolved inhabitant, an Omar or Grey, for example. Pinpoint main changes with text explanations.
Alternatively, sketch a new inhabitant/race and explain their physicalities and/or modifications.

3. GAME SLOGAN
Think of a short sentence that will appeal as a catchy slogan to the new game.

4. FAN FICTION STORY
Write a short-story with the main character(s). A scenario may be predetermined by Eidos, authors just need to follow on with a suitable beginning, middle and end.

___

Most exciting of all is that all the examples could be used officially, if wished - Eidos taking the winner's material to incorporate into the game!
For example, the fan fiction story could be endorsed into a mini graphic comic included in collectors' edition; the slogan could be used on the game box; the street poster could graphically appear somewhere in the game itself!

PRIZE SUGGESTIONS
This is the fun bit!
What suggestions do you have for the prizes?
Mine are:

1. FIRST PRIZE(S):
* Copy of the Collectors Edition signed by the development team.
* Hospitality visit to the Montreal studios to meet all the staff.
* VIP invitation to the first game conference launch and after-show party.
* Goodie Bag containing some exclusive collectables, eg. game art cards, Eidos company mug, DX logo badge etc.

2. First RUNNER UP
* An unsigned copy of the collectors' edition (received before the retailers get their stock in! Exclusive gaming! :D)
* Goodie Bag

3. Second RUNNER UP
* A standard copy of the game.

So, what do you guys think? Possible?
You don't even have to think it will ever happen... but there is no harm in a little fantasy, is there! :p
So, please share your ideas for contest format and prizes. Thank you. :)

jordan_a
19th Jun 2008, 11:31
Interesting. But will they answer? And more important, are there enough participants?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 13:02
Will they answer? Eidos Montreal you mean?
I don't know... but I did say in the discussion that this topic may only be fantasy, and so be it. :)
But why not anyway? Other games in the past have enjoyed an official fan contest before launch.

As for whether or not there will be enough participants. I should think so - once the ball starts rolling with promotion "proper".
So far, we've only had the one teaser trailer with the foetus. There should certainly be more trailers to come as time progresses... and soon I hope.
When this starts to happen, I imagine we will see a regular influx of new members joining this forum. :cool:
More members equals more participants. Although secretly (sssh, just between you and me :whistle: ) I would be happy if less than 50 DX fans entered - at least we would each have a greater chance of winning the contest, ha! :D

gamer0004
19th Jun 2008, 13:02
I guess most of the users on this forum will participate... That's quite a lot.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 13:09
I guess most of the users on this forum will participate... That's quite a lot.

Yes, in fact... I can't imagine that anyone already here would NOT enter the contest. :nut: :D
That's why I have kept the list of contest ideas relatively simple too. Entering requires only a good imagination - rather than a particular technical skill. :cool:

jcp28
19th Jun 2008, 22:11
This would be cool. I think I'd do either the 3rd or 4th idea since I'm bad with art.

AaronJ
20th Jun 2008, 00:49
I can only handle so many bribes to the winners.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2008, 10:11
^
How many bribes "exactly" would that be then? :D

Anyway, any more ideas for contest content and prizes from anyone?
Come on, join in the fun. :p

AaronJ
20th Jun 2008, 12:45
^
How many bribes "exactly" would that be then? :D

All bribes, deals, and sales necessary to obtain every prize. Of course, I'd enter the contests as well.

3. GAME SLOGAN
Think of a short sentence that will appeal as a catchy slogan to the new game.

Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

I'll have my Goodie Bag now please.

Romeo
20th Jun 2008, 18:41
Would Eidos Montreal answer? PERHAPS TO THOSE OF US WHO SPEAK FRENCH! MUA HA HA HA! Vous etes tous le screwed! No, but on a serious note, they should do a viral marketing campaign, and integrate a contest into that. Perhaps along the lines of ilovebees.com

Je suis Napoleon!

FrankCSIS
20th Jun 2008, 20:03
I'm all for this but wouldn't it require a bit more insight on the game, at least when it's taking place in the timeline? Or do we just go along with a fantasy setting?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Jun 2008, 01:54
I'm all for this but wouldn't it require a bit more insight on the game, at least when it's taking place in the timeline? Or do we just go along with a fantasy setting?

Yes, I did say in the introduction that obviously IF a contest should ever happen, we WILL know a lot more about DX3 by then.
In the meantime, this thread is just a bit of fun.. and so you can have whatever fantasy you want about the contest and subsequent prizes and contribute any further ideas as you so desire. ;)

Looking forward to reading them... :)

FrankCSIS
21st Jun 2008, 05:53
My bad. I'm the dumbass that obviously missed that part :whistle:

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 06:05
I would love to do any of these offically, I might make some are or maybe even a cli ssh system in which you can feel like your hacking into JD's or the Main characters biomods, that would surely get people excited for the game...

iWait
23rd Jun 2008, 19:30
Please excuse my stereotypical American ignorance, but what is a cli ssh system?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2008, 06:42
Not entirely sure, but I think it relates to some kind of Linux computer program/language. An administrative tool for main system? :scratch:

Just GUESSING, so don't quote me on that though, lol. :o

Luminous Path
24th Jun 2008, 11:26
CLI is a command line interface, which is basically the means by which a program communicates with the user i.e. you, it is based on textual input and output.

SSH to the best of my knowledge is a 'secure shell' whereby communication is sent to a remote computer via TCP/IP under encryption.

In context with linux I am unsure as to its exact function as I don't run the OS. Definetly don't quote me on any of this as it has been a while since I've managed and networks etc. I am sure I will be corrected by someone more knowledgable.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Jun 2008, 10:36
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

I'll have my Goodie Bag now please.

Now, where have I heard that slogan before? :scratch:
:D

LOL, good one. But I'm not sure that phrase would be the official slogan on the game box... so no goodie bag for you as of yet. :p

jamesthefishy
25th Jun 2008, 11:53
Don't worry I am an america too. First off CLI - Command Line Interface. SSH - Secure Shell.

I am currently trying to code a web based SSH emulator. So basically it's a project. I am still trying to figure out what I should do it in. Php may be the way to go. oh and the ssh server I host uses freebsd 6.3 which is berkley unix and linux is a clone of unix. Stuff like AIX and Solaris is unix. Solaris is made by sun (same guys who made java and openoffice.org)

¤[ß2S]¤Sürvívë
25th Jun 2008, 15:54
Very nice idea there MissDenton

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Jun 2008, 17:21
Thank you, and please feel free to add any of your own. :)

v.dog
29th Jun 2008, 06:01
Do know what would be a cool prize? Getting put into the game, whether as an NPC, or just mentioned in a newspaper, email, or data cube.

Just imagine being the one who has your bank account hacked by millions of people. ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Jun 2008, 08:22
^
That's a really COOL idea, I like it! :cool: :D

Kevyne-Shandris
29th Jun 2008, 19:35
Interesting. But will they answer? And more important, are there enough participants?

I'm keeping a low profile on promotions (hype market). Want DX3 badly (to see how the DX2 messup can be fixed) and see if JC is still JC (not some cardboard cutout; nor another metrosexual [and this time an anime one]; nor 100 years old).

Too many bad memories. So little to SEE otherwise.

Want it, and scared to have it at the same time. It's like a Christmas present you really, really, really want. Open the wrapper; see the box (YES!!!); open box; and only see that it's empty.

That empty box is the hype mind **** of today. It's what is selling most of these trashy games. DX3 goes down that path, hang up the franchise.

AaronJ
30th Jun 2008, 02:44
That's why everyone should be more skeptical than ever. This is a bad time for games. Crap like Turok and Haze are being pumped out everywhere, and then we have the mothership of all ****loads, Halo. Dangerous.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jul 2008, 13:11
That's why everyone should be more skeptical than ever. This is a bad time for games. Crap like Turok and Haze are being pumped out everywhere, and then we have the mothership of all ****loads, Halo. Dangerous.

Call me naive if you wish, but I refuse to give up on the dream that DX3 will "deliver". :p

binaryboy
1st Jul 2008, 19:40
So, please share your ideas for contest format and prizes. Thank you. :)

Good ideas. A cool contest/prize would be to come up with a line or two of dialog and then have the winner's dialog actually appear in the game. We would need to know a which characters will be included in DX3 though. Maybe restrict it to the random "barks" like when a guard can't find you.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jul 2008, 23:32
Yeah, having a dialogue contest would work. :cool:

When you said about random barks when the guards can't find you, I instantly thought of Thief's "Nothing there now, it must've been rats". :D
I love Thief.

gamer0004
2nd Jul 2008, 08:05
How about a wet trenchcoat contest :nut:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 11:41
^
Is that a fetish idea? :p :lmao:

jcp28
2nd Jul 2008, 21:52
I suppose it all depends on what the contest would entail. If it was something like making a sort of nanotube design, there might be a possiblity for some sort of monetary prize. The size would do doubt depend how much the entry fleshes out things in the Dx universe, or how high-quality it is. We could also have the obligatory "trips to meet ther developers, free copies of the game" and so forth.

Kevyne-Shandris
2nd Jul 2008, 22:06
I'd be too scared to meet any of the devs. As life taught me when I first saw James Doohan "Scotty" of the Star Trek series, when he visited locally. In movies they are "gods" but in reality they're like anyone else, which is a downer (being Japanese-American, and hearing "Jap" said like it was nothing to the world, made it r-e-a-l-l-y a downer). From there on, if they're celebs and all, I prefer to see them as such, and never to get to know them even in an elevator. Takes the magic out of it all.

Which is how I can see Spector the "god", but would never want to meet him in person (probably would piss me off to no end, thinking HE helped to create DX:IW).

Distance keeps perspective (and keeps games, games, not personalities).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jul 2008, 23:51
I'd be too scared to meet any of the devs. As life taught me when I first saw James Doohan "Scotty" of the Star Trek series, when he visited locally. In movies they are "gods" but in reality they're like anyone else, which is a downer (being Japanese-American, and hearing "Jap" said like it was nothing to the world, made it r-e-a-l-l-y a downer). From there on, if they're celebs and all, I prefer to see them as such, and never to get to know them even in an elevator. Takes the magic out of it all.

Which is how I can see Spector the "god", but would never want to meet him in person (probably would piss me off to no end, thinking HE helped to create DX:IW).

Distance keeps perspective (and keeps games, games, not personalities).

Oh, I don't know... I hear what you say but it isn't all so bad. Its a shame Star Trek Scotty let you down, but it doesn't mean all people will do so, does it? Maybe you're being a bit hard on yourself... the next "celeb" you may meet could be a positive experience. :cool: I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone and not pre-suppose anything - besides, I wouldn't want to deny myself the chance to go to the Eidos studios just because of one bad experience. Like you said, all celebs are just like anyone else; they are people. Some folk you instantly experience a rapport with and others you don't - celeb or not. I don't actually view any fave celeb as a "God" as such; there is no infatuation element. I simply respect and admire people/celebs for their creative talents. Even if they make dumb mistakes; its only human. If their creativity tips the scales on the positive side, I'm happy to forgive the occasional flaw. Nobody is perfect.

Distance doesn't necessarily keep perspective...in my opinion. It depends how you view the situation beforehand really. Most people know that a game is a game and not a personality but I guess if someone is in possession of an over-active imagination, they may indeed believe otherwise. Anyway, in my case, distance makes the heart grow fonder, lol. :D I really want to win the contest (if it were real... *sigh*) and get a tour of the studio. Wow, I bet all the kit there is mega-awesome - I'd have a great day myself, hehe. I would probably enjoy the graphics/art department the most. :cool:
Must remember to grab myself an Eidos mug and Deus Ex logo badge... and all the other gorgeous goodies the team will hopefully be throwing at the winner, hehe.
All this nicely washed down with some bubbly vintage champagne... a lovely way to end a lovely day. :cool:

It's nice to be a dreamer.... :)

Kevyne-Shandris
3rd Jul 2008, 00:38
The issue is I like my stars to remain stars. I'm not into making them stars and pulling them down, "just so they can be like everyone else" (the status quo now). Nor, do I want to get to know them enough to learn they pick their nose in public and fart in obscene ways; or even have political views I'd detest, "just to know". Some mysteries are best unknown.

I'd like to have a 2 way conversation with Spector for example (or some of the the old DX crew), but the answers I'm afraid would piss me off of the whole game industry. It's like making sausage, it tastes good but you really don't want to know how it's made (or what goes into it). When you do know, you may never eat one again.

Don't want to be turned off of gaming, from learning, "Yeah, that character you like so much was just a fluke. We really wanted to add Bozo the Clown...". Spend that long getting to like a game, and all that went into it, just to know maybe the main reason you liked it was some damn "fluke" that was put in because of a deadline (which means the character is often expendable).

Naw, distance, please.

Maximus
3rd Jul 2008, 01:42
DEUS EX 3: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

where do i get my prize

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Jul 2008, 06:52
The issue is I like my stars to remain stars. I'm not into making them stars and pulling them down, "just so they can be like everyone else" (the status quo now). Nor, do I want to get to know them enough to learn they pick their nose in public and fart in obscene ways; or even have political views I'd detest, "just to know".

OMG, yeah... who on earth would want to watch them pick their nose and fart, lol.
Except the paparazzi, of course... those body gestures would no doubt make the front page news, hehe. :D

Here what you say on the other stuff. :)

gamer0004
3rd Jul 2008, 07:47
^

No comment. :nut:

Romeo
3rd Jul 2008, 07:55
^

In the immortal words of Paris Hilton: That's hot.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Jul 2008, 17:39
Now that we appear to have more activity from the Mods on this forum, maybe one of them can give us a hint as whether or not Eidos will be holding a pre-launch contest of some sort? :cool:

I really want to know, I want to win some goodies. :p

René
7th Jul 2008, 14:12
Now that we appear to have more activity from the Mods on this forum, maybe one of them can give us a hint as whether or not Eidos will be holding a pre-launch contest of some sort? :cool:

I really want to know, I want to win some goodies. :p

In the words of Jerry Seinfeld: It's a "definite possibility."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jul 2008, 16:57
Ooooh, I hope so! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Thank you. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2008, 13:37
May I ask that if such a pre-launch contest was implemented, would it be international?

I was just thinking what a complete shame it would be if only residents of Canada and the US were eligible to enter, for example! :eek:
I've known other contests to have such rules ... so now I'm really worried because I live in the UK. :p

Romeo
6th Aug 2008, 23:35
Well, my sole talents are automotive related, but if I can put my pennies together, I'll try and do up a nice little Deus-Ex-Mobile for whoever shows the best public display of DX Fandom. This is, of course, money permitted, and assuming Eidos doesn't mind me infringing on their copyrights. lol

René
7th Aug 2008, 18:13
I think Romeo just volunteered to build a functioning life-sized version of Jock's helicopter.

You better get to work on that if you want it done by the time the game ships!

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deusex/hongkong1/DeusEx-2003-12-20-13-45-44-.jpg

FrankCSIS
8th Aug 2008, 02:15
I'll take it up with Bell Helicopter in Mirabel

Igoe
8th Aug 2008, 02:41
I'm in.

Prize or not, once the artwork starts comin out, I'm gonna make a series of posters with a different tagline emphasizing our tried and true DX paths.

The Infiltrator, The Smooth-Talker, The Hacker, The Assassin.

So who are you?

Tsumaru
8th Aug 2008, 04:09
I'm Tsumaru.

Romeo
8th Aug 2008, 06:29
I think Romeo just volunteered to build a functioning life-sized version of Jock's helicopter.

You better get to work on that if you want it done by the time the game ships!

http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/deusex/hongkong1/DeusEx-2003-12-20-13-45-44-.jpg

Gosh, the engine would run wonderfully, but my aerodynamic knowledge only runs on a two-dimensional plain. What I WOULD build would be an oldie, fixed-up and decaled up DX-style. =P

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Aug 2008, 07:15
May I ask that if such a pre-launch contest was implemented, would it be international?

I was just thinking what a complete shame it would be if only residents of Canada and the US were eligible to enter, for example! :eek:
I've known other contests to have such rules ... so now I'm really worried because I live in the UK. :p

Nobody answered my question. :p

RangerWill
21st Aug 2008, 12:13
I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it, IF said contest were to materialize. I even know the angle I would take it from.

Here's a sample.

The plain white van drove past the rows of identical hangars. In some you caould see glimpses of fighter jets and other aircraft in various stages of repair and disrepair. Had the rear windows not been completely blacked out and side mirrors removed, the scientists in the van would have noticed a a creature emerge from one of the buildings about 4 tall in height, with longer than normal arms, grayish looking skin and enourmous pupil-less eyes. The creature screamed as two soldiers in psuedo-hazmat gear grabbed it by its arms and dragged it back inside. At last, after travelling down the stretch of desert road, the van reached it's destination. The van drove down a ramp and stopped in front of a massive concrete bunker than seemed to be built into the side of the hill. Further up the hill, a guard tower cast a shadow over the doors of the bunker creating an almost, ominous feeling to the bleak surroundings. The van doors opened and the scientists got out, assaulted by the oppressive noon day heat of the Nevada desert after their comfortable air-conditioned ride. "Alright ladies and gentleman, if you would be so kind as to follow me, we can begin our tour." the group leader said. He walked up to a security panel in front of the bunker, took the keycard from the chain around his neck and inserted it into the slot. Then he entered the passcode and pushed the "Enter" button. The panel flashed green and everyone could hear the motors push the huge steel blast doors open. The group walked inside and immediately four big blower fans turned on, serving to not only cool them down once again but also remove any dust or foreign matter that happened to be clinging to their clothes. As the doors began to close behind them, their guide said, "Follow me toward the elevator as most of the intricacies of the project are in our underground facility. One of the scientists, who was a little curious decided to take the right pathway instead of the left with the others. As he stepped into the corridor, two odd looking little robots, stopped him. They were about two feet in height and three feet wide with eight legs like a spider. "State your name and purpose." the robots droned in unison. Fascinated, the man dropped to one knee and tried to touch them. As he bent down, the robots backed up a few steps and repeated their warning. He stepped closer and robots said, "Intruder spotted, deploying countermeasures." Two prongs popped out of the front of each robot and then the man was blasted back several feet. The guide rushed toward the bots and shouted, "Units 1 and 2 stand down!" "Voice command accepted, returning to assigned patrol route." the robots replied and walked back to their post. The guide helped the man back to his feet. "Dr. Savage you must be more careful! There are many unique and varied methods of maintaining internal security in this facility. Like those spider-bots, you encountered. What you were entering was one of the low radiation storage areas. Those bots are designed to prevent anyone from entering without proper clearance." the guide explained. "Thanks Dr. Everett, I'll try to remember that." the man replied. The guide smiled. "Are you alright? Good. Then let's catch up to the rest of group." Dr. Everett then took the group over to what seemed to be a huge freight elevator. He herded them inside and then pressed the down button.

Tell me what you think....

urban_queen41
22nd Aug 2008, 08:01
^
I am liking! =]

Possibility for a future entry to DX's sadly inactive fanfiction.net community?? (not as if ff.net is exactly a breeding ground for good fics in most fandoms anyway...=P)

And I'd enter the contest for sure. Fanart all the way. =] I had a crack at JC a while ago...it didn't turn out too well. If you try and fail, destroy all evidence that you ever tried. XD

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Aug 2008, 22:47
^
I love fan art but I don't think it should be the main objective of any contest as not all of us are gifted with graphic skills, unfortunately. :)