PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to.... the Deus Ex movie?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 17:01
Okay, I just wanted to check what happened to the proposed movie? :scratch:

I know it was suggested years ago now (by Columbia, I think) and then, from what I remember, it was postponed. Is it still happening does anyone know? I can't find any recent news on the internet about it, so I'm extra curious.

Whilst on the topic... do you guys welcome a revival of this idea?

Thank you. :)

M_I
18th Jun 2008, 17:16
Can you tell me more about this movie, all you know. Please. :D

Lo Bruto
18th Jun 2008, 18:16
A movie would just ruin the "cult status" of DX. :nut:

jamhaw
18th Jun 2008, 18:47
Yeah it would be well known by people other than nerds can't have that.:D

Lo Bruto
18th Jun 2008, 19:29
Yeah it would be well known by people other than nerds can't have that.:D

Fo' shizzle, my nizzle. :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 20:15
^
LOL @ some of above comments. :p :D

Mmmm, but surely if it is a well-made movie, then the "cult status" of DX will only improve due to increased popularity? ;)
Perhaps people who have never played the game may be inspired to do so after watching the movie.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 20:21
Can you tell me more about this movie, all you know. Please. :D

Well, you can read some old threads on various forums about the movie if you do a Google search. :)

Wikipedia states this (no idea how reliable the source is though):

Film adaptation

A film adaptation based on the game was originally announced in May 2002 by Columbia Pictures. The movie was being produced by Laura Ziskin, along with Greg Pruss attached with writing the screenplay. Peter Schlessel, president of production for Columbia Pictures, and Paul Baldwin, president of marketing for Eidos Interactive, stated that they were confident in that the adaptation would be a successful development for both the studios and the franchise.

In March 2003, during an interview with Greg Pruss, he informed IGN that the character of JC Denton will be "a little bit filthier than he was in the game." He further stated that the script was shaping up to be darker in tone than the original game.

A theatrical release was scheduled to occur sometime in 2006. It was purported that Willem Dafoe would star in the film, though his role was not specified.

The Internet Movie Database reported that production was cancelled in May 2004, and the film profile is no longer listed. IGN, however, listed it in their Games-to-Film Frenzy II in October 2004 and is still listed as "in development" in their Games to Film listing.

minus0ne
18th Jun 2008, 20:38
I welcome the idea if they give it to the right people, unfortunately, it's very likely Uwe Boll is the only one cueing up to do it.

PS. nice Asimov sig :)

M_I
18th Jun 2008, 20:45
i see...maybe they forgot about it lol :)

cybereality
18th Jun 2008, 21:24
Honestly it would be better if they didn't taint the name with some crap movie directed by Uwe Boll!!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 21:45
Well, to be fair to this fantasy discussion, Uwe Bolls was only a scary "suggestion", lol. So, don't panic! :D
A decent director would obviously be more desirable.

jd10013
18th Jun 2008, 21:57
at 35-40 hours, the game was just way too long, way too deep, and way too involved to cram into an hour and a half movie. would have ended up with another doom. :eek:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2008, 22:11
But you could say the same about any complex book that has been made into a movie, yeah?
It isn't impossible to do a book or a game justice in cinematography - you just need the right movie-making ingredients. :p

jcp28
18th Jun 2008, 22:58
It sounds like they cancelled it. I suppose the crap sales of Invisible War might have been a major factor in that decision.

AaronJ
19th Jun 2008, 02:42
Pruss said he'd keep around four characters from DX for the movie.

END.

DXeXodus
19th Jun 2008, 04:42
So long as it is not directed by Uwe Boll. Has anyone seen the FarCry movie trailor? Its made of undisputed FAIL!!

The overall idea of Deus Ex sets itself up nicely for an absoloutely amazing movie. It is just a matter of how it is made and who makes it. It is a complex idea, with many underlying storylines and events which all need to tie into one another. It would need some outstanding character development to introduce such complex characters to a new audience in such a short time. I would love to see a good DX movie, but perhaps it is better left untouched. IW was too much of a negative mark on the DX name.

If they were to make a movie however, It would require:

- An excellent Director: One who has played the game many times and understands it correctly. He must be passionate about it and love every piece of it.

- A big budget: Lots and lots of money to throw into cutting edge cinematography, CG art, motion capture, etc. The movie will need to incorporate alot of big budget elements to give the required impact.

- A seasoned cast of actors: They dont necessarily need to be mainstream, big-shot Hollywood actors. People who understand the characters they will be playing.

- Time: A movie like this cannot be rushed

- A bloody good writer: Similar to the director in description. Dont do a DOOM and change the storyline completely.

Perhaps if DX3 turns out to be a raging success, they will reconsider doing a movie, but it will probably just end up being a cash-in attempt unfortunately.

Lo Bruto
19th Jun 2008, 06:08
Mmmm, but surely if it is a well-made movie, then the "cult status" of DX will only improve due to increased popularity? ;)
Perhaps people who have never played the game may be inspired to do so after watching the movie.

No. A movie would ruin the cult following. The series would become too mainstream. And even that 11 years-old kid from your neighbourhood will be talking about JC Denton and how he's augmented.
Can you support this? :scratch:
I can't.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 07:12
No. A movie would ruin the cult following. The series would become too mainstream. And even that 11 years-old kid from your neighbourhood will be talking about JC Denton and how he's augmented.
Can you support this? :scratch:
I can't.

Ruin the cult and make it too mainstream?
Mmmm, well I totally disagree PROVIDED the movie is a damn good one. :D

Still, nobody can stamp an absolute "guarantee" mark on their assumptions - so, for now, I prefer the positive to the negative. Anyway, if you are discussing cult status, the most popular and successful cults in history are mainstream anyway simply because people know about it and will thus discuss it, but may not necessarily ever have been part of it....

As for the 11 year old kid scenario: YES, I would support it. :p
Why? Because children represent the next generation and it is THEY who will be in charge of the future, as will be their children and so on.
I see nothing wrong with the younger generation understanding what the future will involve. One day, an 11 year old boy or girl will be the next Einstein... human beings need the genius and so we need to give a free rein to imagination.

If anything, JC Denton would make a more realistic toy to play with than Spiderman or Batman, lol.

Lo Bruto
19th Jun 2008, 08:23
Nice post about the children as the future of the nation. :nut:
Still, in my conception, DX is a game that's not-for-everyone.
Believe me, we are fans of the game... We see all the thing behind it. We see why it's called one of the best games ever. But looking to the big picture... who are we comparing to the wider audience that game devs are focused to? Nothing.
DX is one of the best games ever, but how many people played it? Or heard about it?
That's all the fuss about...
If they want to make a movie... go for Half-Life or Crysis, or whatever sells the best. But please, leave DX and it's immaculated cult alone. :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 08:54
I agree that DX may not be a game for everyone, but having said that I don't agree with being selfish about it. :)
Just because many people have never played it or heard about it doesn't mean that they shouldn't do so, or wouldn't be interested in it. You give the offer of demonstration and people will find it profoundly interesting or they won't... I personally prefer populism to elitism.

But, obviously, I do understand where you are coming from. Guess I just want more people to know of and appreciate this game. For me, I don't think that the cult status will be destroyed by the making of a movie or future games DX4 or 5 and so on.

Yup, I would like to see a Half-Life movie too... a GOOD one, that is. I love this game! :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 08:57
It sounds like they cancelled it. I suppose the crap sales of Invisible War might have been a major factor in that decision.

Yes, you are probably correct about that.

iWait
19th Jun 2008, 13:31
But you could say the same about any complex book that has been made into a movie, yeah?
It isn't impossible to do a book or a game justice in cinematography - you just need the right movie-making ingredients.

LotR- Sucked compared to books.
Eragon- Sucked compared to books.
Iron Man Game- Sucked compared to movie.
Halo Books- Sucked compared to game.
Eragon Videogame- Sucked period.

I know a lot of people who vow to never read the Eragon books because they thought the movie sucked, which it did. So unless they make the movie like they made Dune (Which wasn't as good compared to the in-depth books but i think was still a great movie), either 4 hours long or 4 one hour parts over a 4 week period, then it will never cover everything, and won't go that in-depth. If they do make a DX movie it will probably be like the Eragon movie, Beggining-->Character intro--> Fighting--> Fighting--> Romance never brought up again--> Skip most of the first book--> Big Battle--> Fighting--> Skip most of the second book-->Fighting--> Crappy ending

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jun 2008, 14:03
Well, obviously, an avid reader is going to be highly critical of any movie or game because they can only ever be an "adaptation" of an existing book, in the true sense of the word.
This goes without saying really, although it isn't necessarily a fair stance because even though we can easily generalise that just about all movies/games fall short of the original author's intent/creativity/genius, we must allow some credit where it's due. It is a HUGE challenge (perhaps almost impossible) to make a movie as good as a book but I'm glad that people do at least attempt it. Many Directors choose to make such a movie from personal and honest passion - not just from a financial point-of-view.
Furthermore, a very good (or even fairly good) movie adaptation can be beneficial to the author - people see the movie, like it - so they go and read the book too. Without the movie to inspire them, maybe they would never have thought of reading the book...

From your example list, I think the LOTR movies were good. Very difficult to do... but I think they were quite successful really and so I disagree with you here, I think you are too harsh on this one. :p
I can't comment on the other movies or games you have listed because I haven't watched/played them... except for the Eragon movie and I definitely agree with you on that one, lol.

mad_red
19th Jun 2008, 14:46
There's lots of ways to make a good movie or mini-series. I wouldn't mind a Constantine-like Deus Ex. I also liked the Lost Room miniseries. The Discovery of Heaven is IMO an good adaptation of a big book, as is Lord of the Rings. A movie like PI makes the most of obscure references (though I'm pretty sure someone else can find a better example of movies with obscure references).

Admittedly it's not an easy task to do DX1 justice, but I don't think it's impossible.

gamer0004
19th Jun 2008, 19:16
LotR- Sucked compared to books.
Eragon- Sucked compared to books.
Iron Man Game- Sucked compared to movie.
Halo Books- Sucked compared to game.
Eragon Videogame- Sucked period.

I liked the LotR movies... Yes, the books are better, but the movies are still very nice. If it would be possible to make a DX movie as good as the LotR movies I'd be very happy.

SageSavage
19th Jun 2008, 20:19
I liked the LotR movies... Yes, the books are better, but the movies are still very nice. If it would be possible to make a DX movie as good as the LotR movies I'd be very happy.

Same here but this will never happen. LotR had such a huge cult following that a budget of $280 million and eight years of production time were justified. You really don't want to compare that with DX's fans...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Jun 2008, 10:19
True, you can't compare the financial logistics of LOTR to a possible DX movie. :eek:

But a good movie can still be made on a much lower budget.

Romeo
20th Jun 2008, 19:20
At the risk of sounding cynical and harsh... The movie isn't going to happen. Let's take a look at some of the bigger games to have worked on movies recently...

Halo. Indefinately postphoned, and this is probably one of the highest-selling games of all-time.

Gears of War. Also, indefinately postphoned. Once again, sold in very high numbers, numbers which undoubtedly tower over both the DX games combined.

Metal Gear Solid. Quite popular at the moment, but also was never really a slouch way back when. Movie's status? Cancelled.

BioShock. It's movie plans had been out for barely over a month, before they were retracted, saying "We're not planning a movie until the third edition of the game is released". Seeing as how BioShock 2 is being released late 2009, and presumably, the third a few years after that, a movie that is nearly five years off is either encountering problems, or going to be the biggest movie for quite some time. Expect the former.

As much as I love video game films, the fact of the matter is: They have terrible completion rates. And for a game that has a small cult following (Everyone here is loyal. Just not numerous), the chances of completion are rendered even more minute. Sorry. =(

SageSavage
20th Jun 2008, 19:44
As much as I love video game films, the fact of the matter is: They have terrible completion rates. ...and all the movies that already made it to a release turned out to be trash - more or less. I am against movies based on games because I think they are incompatible to each other. Especially when we talk about character development and interactivity.

Despite it's horrible Metacritic-rating and hilarious plot holes I nearly enjoyed the Hitman movie though.

jcp28
20th Jun 2008, 21:58
At the risk of sounding cynical and harsh... The movie isn't going to happen. Let's take a look at some of the bigger games to have worked on movies recently...

Halo. Indefinately postphoned, and this is probably one of the highest-selling games of all-time.

Gears of War. Also, indefinately postphoned. Once again, sold in very high numbers, numbers which undoubtedly tower over both the DX games combined.

Metal Gear Solid. Quite popular at the moment, but also was never really a slouch way back when. Movie's status? Cancelled.

BioShock. It's movie plans had been out for barely over a month, before they were retracted, saying "We're not planning a movie until the third edition of the game is released". Seeing as how BioShock 2 is being released late 2009, and presumably, the third a few years after that, a movie that is nearly five years off is either encountering problems, or going to be the biggest movie for quite some time. Expect the former.

I find it weird, because all of thse games would have made better movies than Doom, which would have turned out bad even if the plot hadn't been changed. I suppose it might have to do with the fact that the Doom games have sold a lot over the past 15 years. I don't know the numbers, but Doom 3 must have been pretty damn successful, otherwise there would be no movie.

mad_red
21st Jun 2008, 07:41
You don't need a big budget to make a good movie btw. Check out the fan made Finnish (I think) star-trek babylon 5 crossover. It's hilarious, plus it's a free internet download. There's also Sky Captain something something, which stars Jude Law, Angelina Jolie, who willingly participated for less pay.

I don't even care about the plot in any eventual DX movie. To me, atmosphere will be paramount. Plots are for books. (I do care of course...)

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2008, 04:35
Screw the cult. I'd take an awesome Deus Ex movie.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2008, 06:28
That's what I call ending on a decisive and positive note.... fair play. :D

Vasarto
27th Aug 2008, 17:31
http://movies.ign.com/objects/536/536094.html

It seems that a Possible Deus Ex Movie is possible. Any thoughts on if they are making it or not? Also what story line will they use? Some ****ty one loosely based that they conjure up. Or do you think they will actually make this a great movie?

Voltaire
27th Aug 2008, 17:39
Hmm. Intriguing. :scratch:

It sounds ["JC is a little bit filthier than he was in the game"] as though some character development and scripting has taken place. This worries me, I hope things don't get wrecked. I doubt I'll watch it, especially if it comes out before DX3 (doubtful). These things do take a while though. Movie rights to Halo were sold almost as soon as the game hit the shelves, and it's still in development hell.

Gizmostuff
27th Aug 2008, 18:40
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76164

Movie got canceled.

farmerbobconspiracist
27th Aug 2008, 21:43
http://krossfire.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/uwe.jpg

DID SOMEVUN SAY SOMEZING ABOUT ZE DEUS EX MOVIE? I vill gladly help make ze movie. It gets a thumbs up from me.

jcp28
28th Aug 2008, 02:07
http://krossfire.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/uwe.jpg

DID SOMEVUN SAY SOMEZING ABOUT ZE DEUS EX MOVIE? I vill gladly help make ze movie. It gets a thumbs up from me.

Oh yes, that joke was made in the other thread as a controversial thread title.

Seriously, if this jerk-off ever got hold of the DX franchise, he'd probably turn it into a shoddy remake of The Matrix, with elements of other terrible movies like Shoot 'Em Up thrown in for good measure.

DXeXodus
28th Aug 2008, 03:44
A Deus Ex movie is really old news. It has been canceled or put on hold, or whatever for quite a while now. But yes, no Uwe Boll please. Give me Peter Jackson as a director any day. But there are plenty of great directors out there that could pull this off. They would just need to be backed by some of the powerful people behind DX1, especially the writers.

AaronJ
28th Aug 2008, 13:46
Once again, Greg Pruss had said in an interview that he would try to leave FOUR original game characters in the movie.

Unstoppable
28th Aug 2008, 16:21
I could make a Deus Ex movie with all the cutscenes but it would be like 24 hours long lol.

Vasarto
28th Aug 2008, 18:18
Ok I'm sorry. I didn't realize that this was old news. I just found something on this recently.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Aug 2008, 22:02
Yeah, we had this thread too:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77490

DXeXodus
29th Aug 2008, 04:22
This thread merge brought to exclusively by DXeXodus, your resident Universal Constructor. :)

gamer0004
29th Aug 2008, 16:09
I don't know whether this has been posted before but it's really awesome:
http://www.lightsage.net/gallery-deusexss-film.htm

René
29th Aug 2008, 16:33

Whoa, that's pretty darn awesome. The part where you're in the ventilation shaft looking down on the guards brings back good memories!

Gizmostuff
29th Aug 2008, 19:41

Not too fond of the voice acting but other than that I liked it...

Nathan2000
29th Aug 2008, 20:05

I've seen an old version of this, where people were swapped with inanimated 3D stickmen. You can still see it at: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=WW8G_CfvFhc. The final version is pretty cool.

general kane
29th Aug 2008, 20:06
its all markiting , and i dont think thy should do it it may prove to be a failed move for marketing the game .

gh0s7
29th Aug 2008, 21:56

That... is cool. Pretty well done, for a short sequence.
Adding to my Fav's. :D

urban_queen41
30th Aug 2008, 04:59
Video game movies?

*remembers Alone In The Dark* *shudders*

DXeXodus
1st Sep 2008, 04:37
^^ But we are assuming/hoping with all our might that Uwe Boll wouldn't get his hands on this. So hopefully it won't be that bad.

APostLife
3rd Sep 2008, 07:54
It would of been cool having movie of DX. Gives you a summary but this time on a screen.:nut:

Zegano
5th Sep 2008, 23:05

I think that "cult status" doesn't really matter. I mean, if its a good movie then the fans will be happy and more people will be introduced to a great game, and if it sucks, so what? Its not like Eidos will release a mandatory patch that makes all copies of deus ex suck like the movie. Besides, cult status really doesn't have any advantages.

JerichoMccoy
7th Sep 2008, 00:18
Give me the Director's chair and I shall direct you one fine movie!:cool:

Heh, the storyline of Deus Ex would make for a good movie but not verbatim from the gaming itself.

You see, fans, like us, love the game cause of the storyline intertwining with the gameplay and that we were able to make our own decisions and actions were justified as such.

The movie would have to have a focus rather than "Quick Buck" or "Pleasing the Fans". It would have to be what the developers of the first game, from my viewpoint, presented.

It was not "Let's make this cool idea!" or "Cash Cow, ahoy!"
But "In this life time, are your choices being watched? Are you being watched because of your choices? Or do you even have a choice?" plus conspiracies and other factoids...

I would say give Ridley Scott the Director's chair cause of "Bladerunner" but meh... someone will be generous and make a nice donation for a movie...

Deadelus
19th Sep 2008, 01:24
at 35-40 hours, the game was just way too long, way too deep, and way too involved to cram into an hour and a half movie. would have ended up with another doom. :eek:

Yeah, the Doom movie made me not wanna ever touch any ID software again. They had some decent graphics. Unique idea or two. But it was just stale.
That's why you do it Star Wars style. 6 movies, stretched across 25 years. Movie one: JC kills terrorists. Bloodbath central. Then he stumbles onto the 747. Meets Juan. End movie. Intro for 2nd movie: Flashback to childhood of Dentons'. JC was told by his father to 'question everything', Then, he's on the 747, with a gun to Anna.
Ok, so that might just suck a**** .. But the nature of the game is to make a choice. Cant do that so well with a movie. Unless you do 2 other alternate endings.. But that'd just ruin everything. :/

Bloodwolf806
19th Sep 2008, 01:44
Deus Ex could excell as a movie. Just imagine.

Christian Bale: J.C. Denton
http://www.equilibriumfans.com/EquilibriumStill0249-Cleric_John_Prestion(Christian_Bale).jpg

Joseph Manderly: Paul Newman
http://www.film.it/fnts/film/immagini/300x180/paulnewman201.jpg

Anna Navarre: Olga Kurylenko
http://joblo.com/moviehotties/images/news-gallery/thumb/olgakurylenkohitmanUHQstills%20(1).jpg

And those are just a few...

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 02:29
Vin Deisel as Simmons. LOL

DXeXodus
19th Sep 2008, 03:52
Christian Bale would make a great JC.

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 04:06
Or if Keanu Reeves could learn how to act, he would be another good choice.

Lo Bruto
19th Sep 2008, 06:44
Or if Keanu Reeves could learn how to act, he would be another good choice.

Keanu Reeves with a coat and sunglasses?

AGAIN?
:lmao:

CarloGervasi
19th Sep 2008, 07:11
If we're doing casting...

Mark Ruffalo as Paul Denton

http://tazza.altervista.org/_altervista_ht/cinema/mark.collateral.jpg

Ayelet Zurer as Anna Navarre

http://www.filmsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ayelet.jpg

Especially the last one. She'll be able to do the Israeli accent pretty well, being Israeli and all.

DXeXodus
19th Sep 2008, 07:25
I thought Anna was German :scratch:
I stand corrected.

pewbeng
19th Sep 2008, 11:06
Rutger Hauer would've been great as Gunther back when he was shooting Bladerunner.

CarloGervasi
19th Sep 2008, 13:23
I stand corrected.

Gunther's German (I assume, judging from the "back to Deutschland" in one of his emails to Anna about UNATCO favoring the nano-augs). Anna is Israeli.

JerichoMccoy
19th Sep 2008, 14:44
Rutger Hauer would've been great as Gunther back when he was shooting Bladerunner.

<Day dreams innocently thinking about it> :rolleyes: :o

imported_van_HellSing
19th Sep 2008, 15:54

You do know that the original sketches for Gunther were based on Hauer as Roy Batty? However, I'm not really sure Hauer would make a good Gunther how he was in the game. Hauer relies quite heavily on quirkyness while I see Gunther as quite deadpan and blunt.

It would be funny if the Governator would play Gunther (yeah, I know he's not acting anymore).

Nathan2000
19th Sep 2008, 20:14
I stand corrected.

Her nationality is never mentioned in the game, but she had a "dossier" on the old DX1 website. Here's a screenshot:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9374/annafb1.th.jpg (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=annafb1.jpg)
That's kinda strange since UNAMET (UN Mission in East Timor) took place in 1999, which places her much above a retirement age.

I always thought that if a movie was to be made, JC and Paul should be played by one actor. I know that's possible. It would better correlate with the fact, that JC is Paul's clone (they had even the same voice actor)

imported_van_HellSing
19th Sep 2008, 20:43
Might just be something left from an earlier draft, when the game's date was not set as far as 2052.

Romeo
19th Sep 2008, 22:41
Same actor, but different hair, clothes and whatnot. Just so we can tell them apart. :p

Red
20th Sep 2008, 12:56
Actually, the goatee difference would be sufficient, just like in the game.

pewbeng
20th Sep 2008, 16:45
You do know that the original sketches for Gunther were based on Hauer as Roy Batty?

Wow, I didn't know that. Where did you hear about that?

I love such trivia.

Romeo
20th Sep 2008, 19:44
Actually, the goatee difference would be sufficient, just like in the game.
I don't know, because if you don't notice the goatee, then the movie might be a little too hard to follow. Don't forget, in cinema, you're not always looking at the characters' faces.

imported_van_HellSing
20th Sep 2008, 20:17
Wow, I didn't know that. Where did you hear about that?

I love such trivia.

Can't remember where exacty I read that, but if you look at this, it's really quite obvious:

http://www.planetdeusex.com/dx1/files/art/dxart10.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7155/guntherhauermj2.jpg

IH-Denton
22nd Sep 2008, 16:45
More awesome fan-made movie. Christian Bale as close to JC-character as it can be possible. This video is the best i've ever seen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLa39aYTOjk

Romeo
23rd Sep 2008, 18:04
Man, the talking looks like a Godzilla movie:

*Mouth moving, mouth moving... Still moving. Moving some more*... ..."Hi"... ...*Continued movement of the mouth.*

pug826
16th Feb 2009, 20:52
i heard that a while back there was gonna be a deus ex movie. has it been canceled? i hope not. the game is sooo damn good, there NEEDS to be a movie about it. i at least want to see a trailer. if i see a trailer of the deus ex movie on tv someday, i am gonna start just flipping ***** all over the place. my life would be complete. deus ex has so many fans, and is one of the greatest games of all time (my favorite game). having a movie on it would be an excellent idea, the conspiracies in the game and the environment in the game would be great in a movie. i wanna see a real life VersaLife building, i wanna see a futuristic hong kong street filled with homeless people and stuff, i wanna see the paris catacombs run by robots, i wanna see secret laboratory work ruined by JC Denton. there is just so much awesomeness to be portrayed! as long as the film sticks to the game entirely, it will be an EXCELLENT movie.

anyway, any updates on the movie?

3nails4you
16th Feb 2009, 20:56
There was talk of the movie a LONG time back, but nothing ever came of it. There is no movie currently in production and I hope their never is. Every time there is a great story movies come along and mess it ALL up. A la Lord of the Rings (great movies, not at all in line with the books).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Feb 2009, 20:56
i heard that a while back there was gonna be a deus ex movie. has it been canceled? i hope not. the game is sooo damn good, there NEEDS to be a movie about it. i at least want to see a trailer. if i see a trailer of the deus ex movie on tv someday, i am gonna start just flipping ***** all over the place. my life would be complete.

anyway, any updates on the movie?

Yeah, we have a thread for this topic. I've merged. :)

pug826
16th Feb 2009, 21:02
oh ok thanks immortal

i really support the idea of the movie, but it HAS to be the exact same as the game. every level the same, the weapons, the characters, everything. then it would kick ass

facepalm
16th Feb 2009, 21:27
i really support the idea of the movie, but it HAS to be the exact same as the game. every level the same, the weapons, the characters, everything. then it would kick ass

Would it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apNfgPb--E)

Grab some popcorn and enjoy. :thumbsup:

pewbeng
16th Feb 2009, 22:13
Would it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apNfgPb--E)

Grab some popcorn and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Would be great to see this one for the complete game :)
can't wait.

3nails4you
16th Feb 2009, 22:30
oh ok thanks immortal

Movie makers would NEVER do that. I wouldn't be too expensive to make, but it would be expensive enough for producers to 'justify' making cuts. That just wouldn't happen. They are basically paying to remake the game.

pug826
17th Feb 2009, 00:04
anyone ever seen the movie Gattaca? i only have seen the beginning, and it kinda reminds me of deus ex a bit

and even if it differs from the game, if it includes the same characters and the same areas and similar storyline, i still support it being a movie

Dead-Eye
17th Feb 2009, 00:59
The movie was caned because of IW. Still if Deus Ex 3 is a major hit, I believe it will be, then there is a possibility of them resurrecting the idea.

Also Deus Ex 3 will kill Deus Ex's cult stasis if it's a hit. So you fan boys might as well start work on your "Deus Ex cult" T-shirt before DX 3 comes out.

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 03:46
anyone ever seen the movie Gattaca? i only have seen the beginning, and it kinda reminds me of deus ex a bit

and even if it differs from the game, if it includes the same characters and the same areas and similar storyline, i still support it being a movie

Gattaca was an EXCELLENT movie with a lot of cultural implications. It has a few similarities with DX, no virus or anything. But I see where you're coming from, there was an element of a remnant of ruined civilization but with higher-ups living modernly and comfortably. Definitely watch the movie though.

pug826
17th Feb 2009, 03:50
i know. i have only seen maybe the first half hour or so of it. the way the people are enhanced or something and the highly official lab and stuff reminds me of DX

gotta finish watching it though. i have only seen it in school so i have to go buy the movie

DXeXodus
17th Feb 2009, 11:41
Generally, and after a long period of being excited about it, I tend to think that the canning of the Deus Ex movie was a good idea. Very few movies that have anything to do with games are worth the film they are printed on in my opinion. If they somehow managed to pull it off then I would of course be overjoyed.

spm1138
17th Feb 2009, 12:12
It could have been good if they'd gotten the right people in to do it.

Sadly they never get the right people in for videogame movies so it's probably for the best.

SageSavage
17th Feb 2009, 12:58
"The right people" know that it's not posssible to make a very good movie based on a game without changing major elements.

Especially games like DX, where the player is supposed to build his own character and make his own decisions, are incompatible with a medium that doesn't support any form of interactivity.

Just look at all those "hardcore fans" spamming and trolling this board because they feel offended by stuff they haven't even seen yet... Why should a good director want to deal with this predictable crap and try something that has already been proven to be a bad idea? They have better projects to work with.

spm1138
17th Feb 2009, 13:16
Well sure.

But generally in the process of changing stuff you end up with something like Super Mario Brothers.

I mean that they mostly never seem to try and do anything other than "gormless popcorn movie" with game IPs.

For some reason I keep thinking Darren Aronofsky would do it right because of Pi.

SageSavage
17th Feb 2009, 14:33
"Pi" is a fascinating movie but I don't see the connection with games. Sure, Aronofski is a top notch director ("Requiem for a dream" is a masterpiece) so even a movie based on games done by him should turn out way better than those of mediocre or abysmal directors who usually try to do it, like Uwe Boll. Nonetheless, the chances for a great movie that pleases cineasts and fans of the game alike are close to zero. It is sometimes possible to create an interactive experience based on passive media like books and movies but not the other way round because it actually takes away very important elements.

Adding interactivity to a good story = additional value for the audience (Experience shows that even this is rarely done right, though.)

Subtracting interactivity from a good game = losing a major part of the experience

Just imagine DX1 without any hidden areas to explore, no micromanagement, no freedom of choice at all... you get the picture. It is much easier to do something from scratch, something that has been planned for the screen from the start.

spm1138
17th Feb 2009, 14:43
And an eighth of the length of course.

IlluminatiElite
17th Feb 2009, 16:30
...but I feel that a movie -- if properly handled -- could be great for DX, without damaging our elitist sense of "cult phenomenon".

Case in point, the XIII movie. I dunno if any of you have seen it, but I'm certain some of us have played the outstanding game; and let me tell you, even though I only caught Part II on TV, I was pretty damn impressed.

But here's the thing. I really don't think that the movie will drag XIII into the mainstream, and I don't think a movie would do that to DX either.

What percentage of casual Bourne fans know about the original, made-for-TV movie? I don't know myself, but I'd venture to say it's pretty low; and I wouldn't be surprised to find that a significant portion of the film trilogy's fan base isn't even aware of the novels.

Attention, moderators and administrators: if you find my use of the word "damn" in this post to be objectionable, you need only say so.

PugPug
18th Feb 2009, 19:22
*sigh* this reminds me of the would-have-been Ender's Game movie.

itsalladream
18th Feb 2009, 23:25
Yeah, I could see some people in here ****ing about their choice of augs.

"Ughh, I hate the spy drone! Why would they use that in the movie."

"Ohh, vision enhancement...yeah! WAIT! You can't shoot through walls in the Deus Ex world. What are these guys thinking?"

And yeah, the original Bourne movie was pretty cool, but I only watched it once, so I don't remember it too well.

WhatsHisFace
19th Feb 2009, 01:44
Deus Ex could make a great movie if people who actually care about it are in charge.

So a Deus Ex movie would likely really suck.

Jerion
19th Feb 2009, 02:23
Probably, since I haven't seen anybody on this forum who claims to be a great director. :p

itsalladream
19th Feb 2009, 02:27
Probably, since I haven't seen anybody on this forum who claims to be a great director. :p

Would a mere claim be sufficient?

Here, here!!:whistle: :thumb:

Sabretooth1
19th Feb 2009, 02:33
"Pi" is a fascinating movie but I don't see the connection with games. Sure, Aronofski is a top notch director ("Requiem for a dream" is a masterpiece) so even a movie based on games done by him should turn out way better than those of mediocre or abysmal directors who usually try to do it, like Uwe Boll. Nonetheless, the chances for a great movie that pleases cineasts and fans of the game alike are close to zero. It is sometimes possible to create an interactive experience based on passive media like books and movies but not the other way round because it actually takes away very important elements.
Funny, I was thinking just now that Darren Aronofsky would be the best man to handle a Deus Ex adaptation. Anyone who's seen Pi and Requiem for a Dream can attest that he is unique at handling offbeat urban topics and it could be interesting to see what he could do to the DX universe.

In my opinion, I'd rather see movie about Deus Ex that is not about the first or second games. Preferably a prequel, focusing on Paul Denton and him getting caught up in the terrorist groups, and his mess-up in the Triads. A sequel would be too confusing for the average moviegoer.

WhatsHisFace
19th Feb 2009, 02:36

People on this forum also want a love interest, a moon-base, an augmentation that makes you talk to people better and a lot of other stupid stuff in the game.

So I really hope none of these guys get the chance to even sweep the set of a Deus Ex movie.

Dead-Eye
19th Feb 2009, 09:41
People on this forum also want a love interest, a moon-base, an augmentation that makes you talk to people better and a lot of other stupid stuff in the game.

So I really hope none of these guys get the chance to even sweep the set of a Deus Ex movie.
I was only suggesting a love interest.

The plots not the big issues the problem is what do you fill with the time that JC is suppose to be running around blowing stuff up, hacking computers, and killing people? That stuff is fun once or twice but everything in a movie needs to be connected to the theme and DX is not the best example of everything tying together well.

Lets see how Hollywood pulls off Bioshock before we render judgment on how good games should be made into movies in this day in age.

Romeo
19th Feb 2009, 14:33

Yeah, like Dead-Eye said, you do need a little thing called PLOT to fill in the gaps between fire-fights/stealth sequences/what-have-you. I really hope you never get a chance to even sweep the set of a Deus Ex movie.

SageSavage
19th Feb 2009, 16:10
Haha, yeah, because the game didn't have a plot, amirite!?

Are you the clown that kept arguing that Deus Ex didn't have light-based stealth, or was that another one of you people? I can't remember.

The trolls get increasingly desperate and pathetic. No matter how good or bad DX3 will turn out in the end, these people already lost my respect just because of their annoying and hateful way of forcing their opinions onto us. It's not about losing temper in the heat of a discussion once or twice, it's about purposely coming here for hating on people not sharing their opinions about a game. It really is pathetic and a disgrace for the community.

Jerion
19th Feb 2009, 16:43
In that case, we've already got somebody who does that job. Your services are no longer required. =P

3nails4you
19th Feb 2009, 16:49

I don't want ANY of those things. A space station or Mars colony, however...

WhatsHisFace
19th Feb 2009, 18:24
Oh no... -=fox=- thinks I'm a troll and doesn't respect me.

SageSavage
19th Feb 2009, 18:32
At least you've recognized yourself as the kind of troll I was referring to... :thumb:

Edit:
There's a new article on Kotaku about movies based on games: http://kotaku.com/5155685/why-youll-never-be-happy-with-video-game-films

Tracer Tong
20th Feb 2009, 01:51
Wow. I never dared reading this thread but since it got so long... (bloat-merged)

I always thought of Kevin Spacey as JC, but that's just me.

I must say I have never seen a real actor who fits so much to being a VG character more than this Bale<=>JCDenton. GREAT JOB! He was fantastic with his acting in American Psycho.
I can totally imagine him killing JoJo Fine and Renton before saying "What a shame..", same with shouting "Go away I have nothing" at the poor kid from HK.

Paul is also a great match but the actor is pretty much typecasted to romantic comedies.

The first woman (Olga Kurylenko?) is a better fit for Navarre IMO.

Jackie Chan as Tracer Tong?
http://www.celebrityvalues.com/images/Jackie_chan_300.jpg

Keep the ideas coming! I can't, for one, think who'd be a great Bob Page.

WhatsHisFace
20th Feb 2009, 02:06
Typically I find Jackie Chan to be a horrible actor, so I'd leave Tracer Tong to a better actor. Maybe the guy who played "Lau" in The Dark Knight... I don't know many chinese actors.

Bob Page could be properly played by any middle-aged white man with an edge.

Tracer Tong
20th Feb 2009, 02:13
I stand corrected: Jet Li is Tracer Tong?
http://www.jesuslist.com/blog/images/jet-li.jpeg

It's not perfect, I just can't find anyone with the perfect Tong face.

I don't know many Chinese actors as well

Castrol GTX
21st Feb 2009, 06:42
it was postponed.

Yay!!! Hopefully indefinitely. My two cents.

AaronJ
21st Feb 2009, 19:19
I stand corrected: Jet Li is Tracer Tong?
http://www.jesuslist.com/blog/images/jet-li.jpeg

It's not perfect, I just can't find anyone with the perfect Tong face.

I don't know many Chinese actors as well

False. B.D. Wong is Tracer Tong, Tony Goldwyn is JC Denton, Willem Dafoe is Bob Page, and Morgan Freeman is Smuggler.

JCD
21st Feb 2009, 21:59
I don't like Tony Goldwyn as JC...I prefer Travolta by just the way he looks like JC :lol: :lol:

Seriously now, what we really want, if a movie is a plausible scenario, are good actors and a great film noir director. Even Brad Pitt can look like JC, if the Hollywood's make-up experts do their job correctly.

The important thing is that the movie MUST :D be a paradigm for others to come.

Tracer Tong
21st Feb 2009, 23:56
False. B.D. Wong is Tracer Tong, Tony Goldwyn is JC Denton, Willem Dafoe is Bob Page, and Morgan Freeman is Smuggler.

How did you know I thought of Willem DaFoe as Bob Page?? Great minds think alike I guess...

In any case, Tony Goldwyn is Alex Jacobson:
http://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/saga/part6/goldwyn4.jpg

Dead-Eye
22nd Feb 2009, 01:15
Really, I'm doing a public service to the entire gaming community.

Thank you G.I Joe.
Now we know and knowing is half the battle.

3nails4you
22nd Feb 2009, 21:42
Willem Defoe for Page?! You crazy! While I agree he is a good villain, he is NOT at ALL the type.

And don't even joke about Brad Pitt as JC. Wow. Worst actor...ever. OK maybe not, but seriously, I can't STAND him.

Romeo
22nd Feb 2009, 23:53
Haha, yeah, because the game didn't have a plot, amirite!?

Are you the clown that kept arguing that Deus Ex didn't have light-based stealth, or was that another one of you people? I can't remember.
The game had a plot, however, much of that plot revolved and even relied upon the gameplay, something which doesn't transfer well into movies.

Romeo
22nd Feb 2009, 23:57
It's a multi-person job. A never-ending battle against people being wrong on the internet.
How do you know you're right? You're quite hypocritical: You lambaste those who can't accept other's opinions, yet you label them as being wrong for not sharing your own.

Oh no... -=fox=- thinks I'm a troll and doesn't respect me.
Ah, don't worry, no one here does.

Wow. I never dared reading this thread but since it got so long... (bloat-merged)

I always thought of Kevin Spacey as JC, but that's just me.

I must say I have never seen a real actor who fits so much to being a VG character more than this Bale<=>JCDenton. GREAT JOB! He was fantastic with his acting in American Psycho.
I can totally imagine him killing JoJo Fine and Renton before saying "What a shame..", same with shouting "Go away I have nothing" at the poor kid from HK.

Paul is also a great match but the actor is pretty much typecasted to romantic comedies.

The first woman (Olga Kurylenko?) is a better fit for Navarre IMO.

Jackie Chan as Tracer Tong?
http://www.celebrityvalues.com/images/Jackie_chan_300.jpg

Keep the ideas coming! I can't, for one, think who'd be a great Bob Page.
Just skimming through, I actually do like the idea of Kevin Spacey. I had thought Keanu Reeves visually would be nice, until I remembered he couldn't act to save his like. :D

AaronJ
23rd Feb 2009, 00:57
How did you know I thought of Willem DaFoe as Bob Page?? Great minds think alike I guess...

In any case, Tony Goldwyn is Alex Jacobson:
http://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/saga/part6/goldwyn4.jpg

Watch his appearance on Law & Order (in which he ironically plays two brothers [twins]) and you'll see what I'm talking about. Trust me, a while back I watched every TV show and movie picking out what actors would fit what roles.

Oh, and I said Willem Dafoe because he was rumored back when the movie as happening.

spm1138
23rd Feb 2009, 02:35
Maybe it's just because his head looks like a UT99 model, but Christopher Walken for Page.

Romeo
23rd Feb 2009, 04:10
This is senseless. There is nothing about the overarching plot in Deus Ex that is in anyway dependent upon gameplay, or that wouldn't work outside the context of a game.

The fact your decisions in the game itself directly influenced the plot is a pretty major flaw in that argument...

I know I'm right based on logic, common sense, and empirical observation.

Wow, someone has a rather high opinion of themselves. So, basically, what you're saying is, unless everyone here revolts against Eidos/Deus Ex 3, they're clearly uneducated people who don't possess common sense?

And I don't lambaste people for not accepting other's opinions. I lambaste them for not being able to come to very easy to reach, very obvious conclusions without significant coaxing from an outside source. I don't want to say "these people that I make fun of are really, really stupid", because then you'll go into toxic shock over it, so I'll just say that most of my lambasting is directed towards those who are very unlikely to possess the base literacy skills required for reading it in the first place.

And besides, it's a morale booster. I'm a beacon of light, someone to admire, a man who was not content to simply point and laugh, but instead stood up and made an honest attempt to educate the hordes of idiots roaming around here. It's charitable work I do, with no monetary rewards of any kind, yet still I toil endlessly, trying to improve the reading comprehension and logical reasoning capabilities of all whom I encounter. I couldn't be any more saintly if I stood around in a pair of sandals turning water into wine.

No, you're someone who everyone loves to hate. You're not a hero, you're a scapegoat.
Any other ingenious arguments?

DXeXodus
23rd Feb 2009, 11:22
Please. Lets stay on topic here guys. We have had enough derailing of threads over pointless banter recently.

Thanks

Ashpolt
23rd Feb 2009, 11:59
I was going to say I could see Christian Bale more as Paul than JC, but then you suggested they should both be played by the same actor, which isn't a bad idea. The problem I would have with casting JC would be that I don't think there are many actors who could do the role without adding their own character to him - for instance, I thought Robert Downey Jr. would be good until I thought of how he'd most likely add his cheeky, almost impish charm to the part, which wouldn't work.

Clive Owen would be a good choice though, I'd say - maybe him as JC and Bale as Paul? That said, I can also really see Bale as Walton Simons...can he just play everyone?

As for other casting suggestions, the white-haired Samuel L. Jackson seen in Jumper as Smuggler? And then:

David Morse as Manderley
Liam Neeson as Bob Page
Eva Green as Anna Navarre (she'd need to work on her accent, but would be great for the look IMO)
Robert Downey Jr as Jock
Simon Pegg as Alex Jacobson

Controversial, but I could see Michael Clarke Duncan as Gunther - I know he's a) not white, and b) not German, but I just can't think of any other actor who is such an imposing figure as him.

This is going to be an expensive movie! :P

SageSavage
23rd Feb 2009, 12:04
Bale as JC and Paul would be the best choice and Clive Owen could work too. Nonetheless, I remain certain that the whole idea of a DX-movie is doomed.

Ashpolt
23rd Feb 2009, 12:29
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, any attempt to make Deus Ex into a movie would suck. But at least it would be a crap movie with a great cast. :P

SageSavage
23rd Feb 2009, 12:43
However...

Christian Bale........JC and Paul
Alec Baldwin.........Bob Page
Gene Hackman......Bob Page or Jock
John Cusack.........Jock [with grey hair, maybe too young and too short]
Eva Green............Anna Navarre
Tony Goldwyn.......Alex Jacobson
Tom Selleck..........Ford Schick and/or Joe Green
Kevin Gage...........Harley Filben [as seen in Heat in the role of Waingro]
Brad Pitt..............Sam Carter
Edward Norton......Sam Carter [a bit skinny but looks more like an office guy]
Sean Penn...........Sam Carter
Ice-T..................The Rock
Vincent Cassel......Juan Lebedev
Matt Dillon...........Jaime Reyes [...not sure if he can look intelligent and serious enough though]
Charlie Sheen.......Jaime Reyes [...same as with Matt Dillon]
William Baldwin......Gary Savage
Martin Sheen........Joseph Manderley
Tommy Lee Jones..Joseph Manderley and/or MIB
Johnny Cash.........MIB [maybe a bit stiff, could need animation]
Lucius de Beers.....That crumply thing in my refrigerator [might need some coaching]

Tracer Tong
23rd Feb 2009, 16:02
Christopher Walken for Page.

YES YES YES!
:D

Dijj
23rd Feb 2009, 20:32
Realistically, we only need to cast like 3 characters. An eventual movie wouldn't try to compress 30 hours of game into 2 hours of movie, so the story would be messed with to such a degree that it would become unrecognizable. Deus Ex, the story of high school jock JC Denton's quest to fight for the cause of environmentalism in his small home town, with whacky hijinks along the way. Cast Anna Navarre as a quirky love interest who can't work up the nerve to talk to JC because she's just a freshman, and Principle Page and you'll have the version of Deus Ex that Hollywood will eventually reimagine for us.

dude you just made my day :lol:
too funny man loool
the worst part is thats probably what they WILL come out with XD
theyd probably cast Shia LeBouf as JC as well OH MY GOD NO

Ok heres the perfect deus ex movie cast:
JC - shia lebouf
Anna - liv tyler
Gunther - arnold schwarzeneggar or Uwe Boll
Walton Simons - that dude who played the mainguy from Hitman has the perfect voice for him actually...
Manderly - robert deniro
The Rock - The Rock
the kid you can give a candy bar to in Battery Park - donnie darko (not the actor)
Bob Page - Bruce Campbell (best idea in this whole thread)
and the dude to play every single UNATCO soldier - Johnny Knoxville

AaronJ
23rd Feb 2009, 22:23
JC - shia lebouf

Mods?

DXeXodus
24th Feb 2009, 11:35
I think it's weird that someone who is supposed to be upholding this rule and that needs to be told to get back on topic...

I wasn't telling HIM to get on topic. It was a general statement. ;)

Romeo
28th Feb 2009, 06:17
I wasn't telling HIM to get on topic. It was a general statement. ;)
You'd better not be! I know what country you live in! You couldn't hide forever... :D

And for Anna Navarre, what about the chick from Underworld? She's pretty damn pale, thin and similar hair-styled as well. Toss an accent on her and you're set.

SlideEnzyme
23rd Feb 2010, 21:40
Hi there! I'm new to this forum, am a devoted fan of the Deus Ex series and have long awaited the third installment.

I shuddered when I read a interview that a possible movie would follow the same let-down 'fashion' as Hitman. Hitman is another fantastic game series and I was heartbroken when I watched this turkey. To read that a lot of characters may be dropped and have their tasks birdtailed made me feel sick.

To begin with I would like to offer my suggestions on how the cast should look, both in terms of similarities in appearance and/or speech and character:

JC Denton - Christian Bale

Paul Denton - Christian Bale

President Mead - Kevin Spacey

Walton Simons - John Kramer a.k.a Jigsaw from Saw / Jon Voight a.k.a Jonas Hodges from 24

Joseph Manderley - Stacey Keach a.k.a Warden Pope from Prison Break

Anna Navarre - Cote de Pablo a.k.a Zeva David from NCIS

Sam Carter - Michael Hogan a.k.a Col Tigh from Battlestar Galactica

Jaime Reyes - Edward James Olmos a.k.a William Adama from Battlestar Galactica

Smuggler - Denzel Washington

Tracer Tong - Tzi Ma a.k.a Cheng Zhi from 24

That's all I can come up with so far, how about these characters? : -

Alex Jacobson, Janice Reed, Gunther Hermann, Jock, Harley Filben, Tech Sgt. Kaplin, Corp. Collins,
Sandra Renton, Gilbert Renton, Jojo Fine, Joe Greene, Juan Lebedev, Daedelus / Morpheus, Icarus / Helios,
Miguel, Maggie Chow, Gordon Quick, Max Chen, Vinny, Nicolette Duclare, Chad Dumier,
Gary Savage, Tiffany Savage, Stanton Dowd, Morgan Everett, Lucius Debeers, Renault.

Then there are characters from DX 2!

Does anyone have any ideas?

TrickyVein
23rd Feb 2010, 21:49
^^ Christain Bale? Really? Like really, really?

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/02/02/2009-02-02_holy_audio_tape_batman_bales_terminator_-2.html

Angel-A
24th Feb 2010, 00:35
Vin Diesel as JC ftw.

A series would work loads better than a movie; any kind of adaption to movie where they have to cut out tons of stuff pretty much will always suck. :X
The game-play timeline takes place over 24-30 hours, plus, for the movie, let's add more hours for stuff like travel. How do you fit that into a 2 hour movie? A series that's essentially a really long movie would work better than an actual movie, IMO.

spm1138
24th Feb 2010, 01:45
Christian Bale would be perfect at conveying the flat emotionless monotone voice acting from the game :)

Scary Bulldog
24th Feb 2010, 04:06
However...

Christian Bale........JC and Paul
Alec Baldwin.........Bob Page
Gene Hackman......Bob Page or Jock
John Cusack.........Jock [with grey hair, maybe too young and too short]
Eva Green............Anna Navarre
Tony Goldwyn.......Alex Jacobson
Tom Selleck..........Ford Schick and/or Joe Green
Kevin Gage...........Harley Filben [as seen in Heat in the role of Waingro]
Brad Pitt..............Sam Carter
Edward Norton......Sam Carter [a bit skinny but looks more like an office guy]
Sean Penn...........Sam Carter
Ice-T..................The Rock
Vincent Cassel......Juan Lebedev
Matt Dillon...........Jaime Reyes [...not sure if he can look intelligent and serious enough though]
Charlie Sheen.......Jaime Reyes [...same as with Matt Dillon]
William Baldwin......Gary Savage
Martin Sheen........Joseph Manderley
Tommy Lee Jones..Joseph Manderley and/or MIB
Johnny Cash.........MIB [maybe a bit stiff, could need animation]
Lucius de Beers.....That crumply thing in my refrigerator [might need some coaching]

Tommy Lee Jones as an MIB in the Deus Ex movie? I like that. screw being an alien immigration MIB agent. Lets work for MJ-12 :D.

Angel-A
24th Feb 2010, 04:26
Jaime Reyes is hispanic, am I the only one who notices that? ...

Alex Denton:
Rick Malambri (http://www.hiphaha.com/bbs/attachment/Mon_0910/9_1_820ee7303457451.jpg)=Alex M
Milla Jovovich (http://mimg.sulekha.com/milla-jovovich/stills/Milla-Jovovich-95.JPG)=Alex F
:> Perfect actors.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2010, 09:19
Vin Diesel as JC ftw.

Yes, I like. :thumb:

Ashpolt
24th Feb 2010, 09:45
^^ Seriously? Jesus, I....am at a complete loss for words.

Love the suggestion of Michael Hogan as Sam Carter, though. That said, as much as I love Edward James Olmos, I can't see him as Jaime....I could almost see him as Manderley though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2010, 09:59
Yes, seriously. :p
Vin is the man. :cool:

Ashpolt
24th Feb 2010, 10:19
Vin is a man...

SageSavage
24th Feb 2010, 10:21
Yeah, Myimmortal is a woman and Vin features muscles and a babyface. You figure it out...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2010, 11:10
^^
Actually, its the intelligence of the mind and the kindness of the heart that attracts me to a man. Go figure it out... :p

Pinky_Powers
24th Feb 2010, 11:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPfrj-3zwlI

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2010, 11:42
Hehe, yes I've seen that vid. Groovy moves... especially from the pigeon. :D

Helegad
24th Feb 2010, 13:10
Vin Diesel as JC ftw.

A series would work loads better than a movie; any kind of adaption to movie where they have to cut out tons of stuff pretty much will always suck. :X
The game-play timeline takes place over 24-30 hours, plus, for the movie, let's add more hours for stuff like travel. How do you fit that into a 2 hour movie? A series that's essentially a really long movie would work better than an actual movie, IMO.

Vin Diesel, lawl.

Anyone who makes a game around their ego should be shot.

Angel-A
24th Feb 2010, 15:16
http://files.nireblog.com/blogs/detodounpoco/files/jason-priestley.jpg

It's Paul Denton IRL!

SageSavage
24th Feb 2010, 15:49
Deus EX 90210 - the logical progression from the events of Invisible War.

Pinky_Powers
24th Feb 2010, 16:46
Quite so.

WildcatPhoenix
24th Feb 2010, 20:18
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2000_Rules_of_Engagement/bruce_greenwood_rules_of_engagement_001.jpg

In my opinion, Bruce Greenwood IS Bob Page.

SlideEnzyme
25th Feb 2010, 01:41
I agree that a series may be better to capture all important events, whatever works. you could keep it to 4 seasons. The events of DX, DX: Invisible War, DX: Human Revolution. Wouldn't even have to milk it, 8-12 episodes per season. Could even do one final season to cover the whole lot from a different angle.

Btw, is anyone a little concerned that in DX 3 we are not playing Paul Denton? Surely as he is the only one of the three siblings that we have not played, and as DX3 is a prequel Paul is the first of them to be around. Its a great concept that DX 3 takes place before nano-augmentation, but if we don't get to play Paul as well then I would expect DX 4 to take place after the events of DX3 and before the events of DX1. I can even see a DX5 where in true 'Call of Duty' fashion we get to play each of them in different levels, all in chronological order. Hence: - Adam Jenson, Paul Denton, JC Denton, Alex D.

One last thing, does anyone else think that Clara Sparks is hot? lol

Dazza
25th Feb 2010, 05:12

I dunno... that guy in the Vox club was cool too. He wanted me to be his chamber boy... lol. But I said no.

IH-Denton
25th Feb 2010, 05:37
I agree that a series may be better to capture all important events, whatever works. you could keep it to 4 seasons. The events of DX, DX: Invisible War, DX: Human Revolution. Wouldn't even have to milk it, 8-12 episodes per season. Could even do one final season to cover the whole lot from a different angle.

Btw, is anyone a little concerned that in DX 3 we are not playing Paul Denton? Surely as he is the only one of the three siblings that we have not played, and as DX3 is a prequel Paul is the first of them to be around. Its a great concept that DX 3 takes place before nano-augmentation, but if we don't get to play Paul as well then I would expect DX 4 to take place after the events of DX3 and before the events of DX1. I can even see a DX5 where in true 'Call of Duty' fashion we get to play each of them in different levels, all in chronological order. Hence: - Adam Jenson, Paul Denton, JC Denton, Alex D.

No, Nicolette DuClare is hottier (= (in DXIW I would say that model of AI - Eve, is cute http://planetdeusex.ru/images/125.jpg)

And I dont see any sense to play for each member of the Denton's family. What for? I am for the new and fresh ideas.

Ventura428
3rd Mar 2010, 21:54
I think that based on the timing that Invisible War put the movie to death. Let's face it, the game sucked and blew simultaneously so bad I am not sure I will buy the 3rd installment unless it gets rave reviews. I had my hopes smashed once already. Deus Ex still stands as one, if not the, best shooters of all time. Invisible War showed me lightning does not strike twice for Ion Storm. I literally threw the game in the trash after trying to convince myself it was not that bad for 2 weeks. It is probably in a landfil next to my copy of Daikatana. May they both rest in peace.

Romeo
5th Mar 2010, 03:20
I think that based on the timing that Invisible War put the movie to death. Let's face it, the game sucked and blew simultaneously so bad I am not sure I will buy the 3rd installment unless it gets rave reviews. I had my hopes smashed once already. Deus Ex still stands as one, if not the, best shooters of all time. Invisible War showed me lightning does not strike twice for Ion Storm. I literally threw the game in the trash after trying to convince myself it was not that bad for 2 weeks. It is probably in a landfil next to my copy of Daikatana. May they both rest in peace.
Well, you have a very closed-mind. I'm disgusted by the game that is Supreme Commander 2, because the previous two games (Supreme Commander and Total Annihilation) were absoluely great. If Supreme Commander 3 came out, I wouldn't rely upon reviews - many reviewers liked the over-simplification of the game, and if that trend continued the third would still get rave reviews. I'd focus on actually looking at the game, and seeing if it's something I would be interested in. Don't let others make up your mind.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Mar 2010, 18:09
Ventura428 sounds like he was traumatised hehe.
Plus he didn't even credit the Omar, such blasphemy!