PDA

View Full Version : Achievements

Romeo
18th Jun 2008, 02:26
This is a thread for the possibility of Deus Ex 3 being on the 360. If it is, what sort of achievements would you like to see in it? For those who arn't aware, achievements are just that -specific objectives, sometimes beyond the standard way of playing a game (For example, beating a shooter without using any bullets) and have set point amounts allocated to them. The points given can be any size, but the totality of all achievements always adds up to 1000. Now, obviously as we don't know plot, we can't assume x amount of points will be given per level completed, but you could say 100 points could be given for completing a game. Feel free to try and contribute a list, preferably one that forces gamers to play beyond the typical context of the game (Beat Deus Ex using only the Stun Prod. Alright).

GruntOwner
18th Jun 2008, 09:17
Pacifist run is a must, and probably one of the hardest.
Discovering secret areas.
Kill phrases.
A couple of the sidequests with long term consequences.
Perfectionist if you do every objective apart from the other ending on a single playthrough.

Tracer Tong
18th Jun 2008, 09:48
Pacifist run
Living only on cigarettes and Nuke! cans (no medkits/medbots)
No augmentations run
Blowing up every single door in the game/hacking every single terminal/reading every single mail/something like that

jcp28
18th Jun 2008, 22:01
Doesn't this sound like the type of console-style "challenge mode" that many would wish to avoid? But I suppose since it will be on 360, here are some things I can think of.

Pacifist Run
No Augmentation Run
Complete the game while having to take a smoke every ten minutes, or less depending on the stressful situations you are in
Kill every MiB or similar type enemy by shooting their weak points(the number of approach points could make this hard)
You achieve all unorthodox ways to complete objectives(tricky to implement correctly, I know)
No medkits run
Everybody is killed with a melee weapon

Some of these may be ridiculous, and are not all mutually acheivable, but there are some who might like the replay value.

Romeo
20th Jun 2008, 18:16
Haha, having to take a smoke every ten minutes, and the name of that achievement: Addiction.
By the way, they don't have to be mutually achievable. Games like F.E.A.R. and Mass Effect required a bare minimum of three playthrough to get all their achievements, and it helps add replay value on weaker game (Not a concern here though).

jamesthefishy
23rd Jun 2008, 10:36
Ugh please don't blog the game up by adding Achievement popups. I hated portal and Episode 2 because I got "BONG! YOUR ONLY 20000000000 more Headshots from some lame bragging rights" Why would one care?

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2008, 04:30
Talk to every character in the game.
Obtain every key for your nano key ring.
Refuse to give food to homeless people.
Kill everyone.
No headshots. - Joke on Invisible War.

Augmented Cactuar
1st Aug 2008, 04:32
It is clear that DX3 is coming to consoles and that means the Eidos Montreal folks will have to create achievements and trophies for it. I think it would be a good opportunity to finally reward those uber stealth players who prefer to play the entire game without being seen or killing anyone. Same would go for snipers, or maybe reward someone if he chain-kills 4 guards with LAMs on walls, etc.

What kind of achievements would you guys like to see in such an open-ended game like Deus Ex? Just want to get the ball rolling and hear some ideas, there's a lot of potential for different gameplay experiences :)

By the way, try to leave out the PC vs consoles debate from this thread, you know it's inevitable anyway.

DXeXodus
1st Aug 2008, 05:01
Merged thread with our previous achievments thread. OP Romeo.

Jimmy Rabbitte
1st Aug 2008, 05:27
Ugh please don't blog the game up by adding Achievement popups. I hated portal and Episode 2 because I got "BONG! YOUR ONLY 20000000000 more Headshots from some lame bragging rights" Why would one care?

I hear that.

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 06:02
I hear that.

I love Achievements, Whats wrong with them, honestly? Do you guuys play gams like GTA or anything where you can complete them 100%? I Do. I love those kinds of games. Achievements make it like that, I try to get all achievements because guess what, its fun.

Anyway, I would LOVE some...
*Pacifist Run
*Murderer Run (Just killing enemies though, please...)
*Max out a certain skill,
*Max out ALL skills (if you can do that in Deus Ex)
*Something like get into a firefight with 10 or 15 enemies, and survive.
*Some wacky achievement like kill an enemy with a multitool
*Kill an enemy by dropping an object on him
*Guess a door's access code (Please please have DX1 keypads, because this achievement would be awesome)
*Knock an Ally unconscious without anyone becoming hostile.

Achievements I dont want (at all)
*Any tedious or boring ones like "Find all Data Cubes, kill all cats" whatever.
*Simplistic ones like "Hey you pressed start!" or "You killed your first enemy" or "Congratulations, you got your first aug!" those are filler, where you instead could be packing in some sweet ones.

Mandatory ones I know will be there:
*Beating level one, two, three, ect.
*Beating the Game
*Beating the Game on veteran (None of that "Beat it on easy/normal/hard crap, thats not even an achievement, thats noob)

I'd also like if its possible to have like a certain level, say, and the achievement is to do it with a certain item, or in a certain time.

Example: New York Minute - Complete Liberty Island in under 5 minutes without killing anyone.

eh? eh? fun! =D

I have a gaming P.C. which I will be buying this on. BUT i will rent via Gamefly the 360 version JUST for the achievements. so make'em good :rolleyes:

Pacifist run is a must, and probably one of the hardest.

Its easy in Deus Ex 1, its the ONLY way I play it. And always on Veteran =)

But in Deus Ex 2 its impossible, because your riot prod stuns about as well as a hamster.

yes. a hamster, I thought about what I was going to say and I concluded that hamster was the least likely thing to zap you with volts of electricity :rolleyes:

DXeXodus
1st Aug 2008, 06:40
yes. a hamster, I thought about what I was going to say and I concluded that hamster was the least likely thing to zap you with volts of electricity :rolleyes:

Well that's a logical deduction after all. Perhaps an apricot could be less fatal though. :)

As for achievements:
I like the idea of having the basic achievements like completing the game under certain circumstances, but I'd rather they leave out the petty and annoying ones that make you run around aimlessly trying to find something and forget about the fact that you are actually playing Deus Ex 3.

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 06:49
...ones that make you run around aimlessly trying to find something and forget about the fact that you are actually playing Deus Ex 3...

Such as the data cube one.

It was a PAIN in the ass to find all the Audio tapes in Bioshock, and GUESS what, the final one, was glitched -_-

Anyway as you can seehttp://card.mygamercard.net/TaylorEatWorld.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/TaylorEatWorld)

I'm quite the achievement whore, so please dont mess them up, Eidos! Rene, smack some people are for me, ok? =)

Oh, and DXeXodus, you are more likely to choke on an apricot. (Unless you love eating live hamsters!)

DXeXodus
1st Aug 2008, 07:08
Oh, and DXeXodus, you are more likely to choke on an apricot.

Point taken. But it is still highly innefective as a riot prod :p

Absentia
1st Aug 2008, 08:26
Achievement Name: Pest Control
Description: Kill all rats in every trash can and every place in the game.
:nut:

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 08:31
Description: Kill all rats in every trash can and every place in the game.
:nut:

Although fun, I dont think it should be ALL rats (Because thats tedious and can get boring; JUST doing another playthrough to kill all the rats?)

Thats a great achievement if it were more like...

Description: Kill 100 rats out of garbage cans throughout the game.

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 08:37
Heres a funny one :P

It should be a secret achievement, so it would look like this in the Achievement screen.

Achievement: Secret
Description: blah blah you have to unlock this achievement to find out more about it.

alright, here it is :P

Achievement: Annoying
Description: Hit an NPC 10 times with objects found around the room he's in.

In Deus Ex I always loved grabbing ANYTHING and throwing them at people.

"Pleeease *eyeroll*"
"Knock it off J.C.!"
"Oh real mature, J.C."
'What the hell..?"
"I do not have time to babysit you!"
"Thats enough, J.C.!"
"Start acting like an AGENT, J.C."
"Ouch!"
"One more time, J.C. -_-"
"Achievement Unlocked, J.C.!"

lol

:P

SemiAnonymous
1st Aug 2008, 08:48
Friendly Fire: Cause 10 enemies to attack their allies
*some sort of awesome name*: Kill *number* of enemies with out seeing their deaths (basically, with planted grenades or by changing turrets)
Secret weapons: Have all hidden special weapons in your inventory by the end of the game
Killing a certain amount of people with a certain weapon/item. There can be multiple achievements for this.
Terrorist: Kill all the friendly NPC's in a certain area.

imported_van_HellSing
1st Aug 2008, 12:01
I'd like to see an achievement for something the likes of this:
"I've made Maggie Chow my girlfriend" (http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19118)

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 16:47
I'd like to see an achievement for something the likes of this:
"I've made Maggie Chow my girlfriend" (http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19118)

Haha :P

Valve has already done it with Half Life 2: Episode 2 (One of my top 10 favorite achievements)

Achievement: Little Rocket Man
Description Send the garden gnome into space.

If you arent familiar, theres a little garden gnome in the beginning of HL2:EP2, to get this achievement, you have to take the gnome with you (by Gravity Gun) to the END of the game and put him in the rocket that blows up the citadel at the end. Spoiler Tags for HL2 spoiler.

Tracer Tong
1st Aug 2008, 19:59
Haha :P

Valve has already done it with Half Life 2: Episode 2 (One of my top 10 favorite achievements)

Achievement: Little Rocket Man
Description Send the garden gnome into space.

If you arent familiar, theres a little garden gnome in the beginning of HL2:EP2, to get this achievement, you have to take the gnome with you (by Gravity Gun) to the END of the game and put him in the rocket that blows up the citadel at the end. Spoiler Tags for HL2 spoiler.

Wow.. Dragging the gnome on the car was the hardest part. I kept getting in and out while trying to stabilize the damn thing.

It was so worth it when I got that achievement :D

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 23:20
Ugh, I know what you mean, Tong! Remember the car part with the chopper? I seriously went through 2 controllers because the others went through my window. :mad2: :rasp:

Jimmy Rabbitte
1st Aug 2008, 23:24
guess what, its fun.
A lot of people will disagree, and big text probably won't change their mind.

HouseOfPain
1st Aug 2008, 23:26
A lot of people will disagree, and big text probably won't change their mind.

That's because that statement is what we call an opinion.

Romeo
6th Aug 2008, 23:24
Big text wont change my opinion? But it's bigger than yours. Besides, every guy knows: SIZE MATTERS.

exxon_valdez
11th Aug 2008, 19:24
Kill everyone.

ftw.

btw, some of suggestions here are quite interesting, but
some are just childish and immature. imo the latter should
be omitted from the game, because the wacky
objectives can be found in a number of dumb fps, rpg and
fps/rpg games.

lets not let DX become one of those.

Romeo
12th Aug 2008, 06:54
Well, if it's on the 360, it's GOING to have them, so... Best get thinking. Besides, I also know a few computer games have them now as well. And PS3 has the "trophies". So, virtually every accepted platform Deus Ex will be released on will have them, it's just the reality of the situation. =P

Necros
18th Aug 2008, 04:48
This is a thread for the possibility of Deus Ex 3 being on the 360. If it is, what sort of achievements would you like to see in it?
What about achievements for the PC version? Like in Mass Effect.

gamer0004
18th Aug 2008, 05:06
What about achievements for the PC version? Like in Mass Effect.

Achievements are for casual gamers. This is the PC. If the player was a casual gamer he would've bought a console.

Necros
18th Aug 2008, 05:37
I'm not a casual gamer but I liked them in Mass Effect... :rolleyes: And this is something like the game keeping statistics of your performance and I like that. Anyway, it wouldn't be too hard to include, so what's the harm? No need for Live support or gamer points or stuff like that though.

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 05:51
Even if it didn't have an achievements system it would still be nice to have a statistics page which gave you alot of information regarding the game, such as:

- Headshots
- Bullets fired
- Hit percentage
- Enemies killed
- Friendlies killed
- Hostages rescued
- Favourite gun
- Locks picked
- Systems hacked
- Type of player (stealth or assault, etc)
- Etc

It's been used in many games before and I have always liked it.

gamer0004
18th Aug 2008, 06:43
Yeah, I like that, but I don't like systems like "kill 100 enemies" or "find all secret items". It's too arcade and breaks the immersion for me.

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 07:06
Yeah, I like that, but I don't like systems like "kill 100 enemies" or "find all secret items". It's too arcade and breaks the immersion for me.

Me neither. I think it should be included for those that like it but one should be able switch it off if you don't want it.

Necros
18th Aug 2008, 07:38
Even if it didn't have an achievements system it would still be nice to have a statistics page which gave you alot of information regarding the game, such as:

- Headshots
- Bullets fired
- Hit percentage
- Enemies killed
- Friendlies killed
- Hostages rescued
- Favourite gun
- Locks picked
- Systems hacked
- Type of player (stealth or assault, etc)
- Etc

It's been used in many games before and I have always liked it.
Me too, I don't understand why developers just dropped it after some time. :confused:
And about the achievements, yeah, you should be able turn them off and have the option to only turn off the pop-up messages when you accomplish something, just let it be in the background and you can check it when you want to in a menu.
The best thing would be statistics and achievements. Or am I asking for too much? :D

DXeXodus
18th Aug 2008, 08:05
The best thing would be statistics and achievements. Or am I asking for too much? :D

I don't think you are. A page dedicated to these two things would be great and I am sure it is possible. I just don't want hundreds of annoying pop-ups showing up while you are playing the game. It must be a background element IMO.

Necros
18th Aug 2008, 08:20
Exactly, having more options is always better. :thumbsup: It was cool to check out how I was doing in Mass Effect after finishing the game, I've totally forgotten about the achievements and just concentrated on the game itself. And stats would be perfect in a game like Deus Ex.

jordan_a
18th Aug 2008, 09:57
Cause 10 enemies to attack their allies.That one is great! :thumbsup:
---
New! Achievements (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=77483)

Cr4sh
18th Aug 2008, 10:24
Get through it without using any multitools or lockpicks -> for tank players, you'll always need to use the front access ^^

ported to DX1, something like 'kill g hermann only with a knife/ a riot prod/with carrying tnt-boxes to him and shooting them...' okay, the last one is too easy

find out your own killphrase and make somebody say it for you :P

Tracer Tong
19th Aug 2008, 01:50
How about "Kill an innocent/unarmed child"? Deus Ex is morally the ONLY place for this kind of achievement (remember the little annoying kid in Hong Kong?) :whistle:

DXeXodus
19th Aug 2008, 04:10
How about "Kill an innocent/unarmed child"? Deus Ex is morally the ONLY place for this kind of achievement (remember the little annoying kid in Hong Kong?) :whistle:

Hehe, who could forget little Louis Pan: "She said no!"
Sorry Tracer, I clicked edit instead of quote...

Jerion
19th Aug 2008, 06:58
I've got an idea: The Diplomat unlock: Screw up every single side-mission, yet when confronting the people that assigned you the side missions, convince them that everything will be fine and that you are immaculate. :D

doga2001us
17th Oct 2008, 23:44
Signed up simply to state my opinion on this issue.

Simply wanted to state: Achievements are NOT solely for the XBox. See Valve for examples (e.g. HL2, TF2). Albeit I really don't care for them, I still think that if the developers bother make them for the xbox version, make sure to put them on the PC version as well, no reason not to, as it adds replayability to the game. Though, if there are none when the game comes out, I really don't care, just saying to not put achievements on one version (could even be PS3, they have achievements now, don't they? Called "trophies", I believe, but same damn thing), and not the rest. All for one and one for all-type mentality.

MrP
18th Oct 2008, 02:34
Fallout 1 & 2 already did this (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Childkiller) but I think Black Isle got a load of flak for it, so they pulled it for Fallout 3.

Some great ideas in this thread though. :thumbsup:

Romeo
18th Oct 2008, 03:52
Me neither. I think it should be included for those that like it but one should be able switch it off if you don't want it.
There's no need to switch them off. If you don't care, don't do them, or ignore them. =)

Fallout 1 & 2 already did this (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Childkiller) but I think Black Isle got a load of flak for it, so they pulled it for Fallout 3.

Some great ideas in this thread though. :thumbsup:
BioShock got away with it, and they even focused upon that theme.

Jerion
18th Oct 2008, 06:11
You know, now that I think about it, there were unofficial achievements in DX. Like how Sam Carter gave you more ammo if you infiltrated Castle Clinton without taking down any NSF. I think a background stats system that keeps track of little things like this would be good. No need for in-your-face achievements, but little things that help define the sort of character you are. Like keeping an average of how much you go for nonlethal takedowns over lethal. Or how many hidden areas you visit. Or whether you prefer to hack computers or use proper logins.

Tracer Tong
18th Oct 2008, 08:30
Nice to see this thread up again.

I'd love to see achievements in the PC, I liked that in the source engine games. And yeah, it should be kept as background as possible (with options for pop-ups). Mass Effect had it totally background and when I was grinding for achievements I didn't know my progress.

Also, withdraw 1,000,000 credits of hacked terminal money.
Make a turret kill 10 enemies.
Kill a bot with a pistol.

Jerion
18th Oct 2008, 08:38
Nice to see this thread up again.

I'd love to see achievements in the PC, I liked that in the source engine games. And yeah, it should be kept as background as possible (with options for pop-ups). Mass Effect had it totally background and when I was grinding for achievements I didn't know my progress.

Also, withdraw 1,000,000 credits of hacked terminal money.
Make a turret kill 10 enemies.
Kill a bot with a pistol.

Kill a bot with a pistol? :lol: :lol: :lol:

THAT I'd like to see.

Bluey71
18th Oct 2008, 09:49

If we must have this sort of thing in a DX game, the best thing EM can do is make it optional, just like the 3rd person switch for certain moves.

Its a shame really that the only way for Deus Ex to evolve seems to be in a downwards direction, towards more simplified gameplay and instant gratification. It should have been very different of course, DX should have been the start of a gaming revolution especially in the way the player interacts with a game. NM.

Instant gratification - you can take that as a reflection on todays modern western society.

MrP
18th Oct 2008, 10:23
BioShock got away with it, and they even focused upon that theme.
Wasn't an actual achievement though was it? :scratch:
*/me checks (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=271)*

Hmm, please make our ones more inspired than Bioshock.
Half of those seem pretty lame. Almost comparable to 'Opened box' and 'Put disc in drive'... :rolleyes:

Laokin
18th Oct 2008, 17:53
Achievements are for casual gamers. This is the PC. If the player was a casual gamer he would've bought a console.

Yeah ya know, cuz getting 10,000 chainsaw kills online versus in gears of war is completely casual. Because carrying the gnome all the way to the end of episode 2 of half life, and launching him in the space ship..... is casual?

Achievements are not for the casual gamer, as most of them are fairly difficult or associated with a secret. I just think that statement was a little ridiculous considering I hate consoles, don't play em and consider myself hard core. C2D 3.1 9800GX2 4 gbs of ddr800 and a TB hard drive, with 52 games currently installed. Does this qualify me as hardcore? I love the idea of achievements, I just wish they'd take it a step further and make it actually beneficial to get them.

P.S.
Why does everyone always speak as what they say is fact, why can't a casual gamer have a pc? What if I was a business man who used a computer all the time, so I bought a nice one -- primarily use it for work, but occasionally play games on it? Stop making generalizations for the sake of peace, it's arrogance that usually ignites the fire...

Dead-Eye
18th Oct 2008, 18:42
Deus Ex 3 should have a total of 1500 to 2000 gamer points. I would allocate the points like this.

200 for beating parts in the game on first play through. (Arrived in New York, completed Paul Denton Mission, etc)

300 for random funny achievements. (Hit someone with a plant in the face 10 times. Make a basketball hoop, etc)

500 for hardcore achievements (Beat the game on realistic, Don't kill anyone, never get spotted by enemy NPC's, Beat the game under 5 hours, Don't use any med kits or other healing items, Do not use any augmentations, Don't die, etc.)

500 to 1000 for the "Deus Like" achievement this would be one achievement that is extremely hard to get. The player would need to do all the the achievements listed in under hardcore Achievements in one play through. Much like MGS4's Big Boss Emblem achievement.

Bluey71
18th Oct 2008, 21:52
Someone fetch me a bucket.

Malah
18th Oct 2008, 22:34
It's obvious there's no way achievements won't be in the game. Just let PC users turn them off/remove any notification thingy there may be.

I never understood the hype surrounding ranks (online shooters) and achievements. Utterly useless in my opinion.:rolleyes:

Edit: I did read the thread and I did see this has been said several times already. I just feel it can't be emphasized enough.

Deus_Ex_Machina
19th Oct 2008, 07:50
Here are a few achievements I came up with. Most of them are based on my imagination and may not be possible.

- Bloodshot : Play Deus Ex for over 24 hours straight

- Deadly Shadows : Execute 20 stealth kills

- Paranoid : Spend more than 24 hours in-game uncovering the conspiracy through data cubes or personal computers

- False Flag : Attack a faction while masquerading as someone from an opposing faction

- Deus Ex Machina : Play Deus Ex for over 72 hours straight

- The Grey Death : Kill someone by throwing a cinder block at them

- I AM A MACHINE : Obtain all augmentations

- Stop The Second Renaissance : Destroy a maintainance bot

- Whoa : Admire the view while on top of a tall building

- My Name Is Neo : Hack a personal computer in 10 seconds or less

gamer0004
19th Oct 2008, 08:34
Someone fetch me a bucket.

My thought exactly when I saw the first DX screens...

Dead-Eye
19th Oct 2008, 17:29
- Deus Ex Machina : Play Deus Ex for over 72 hours straight

LOL, that's just unhealthy. I could so see EM getting a law suit because someone had to go to the hospital after staying up for 72 hours.

Deus_Ex_Machina
19th Oct 2008, 22:40
LOL, that's just unhealthy. I could so see EM getting a law suit because someone had to go to the hospital after staying up for 72 hours.

I have insomnia, so it wouldn't be an issue for me. :rasp:

Malah
19th Oct 2008, 22:48
@Deus_Ex_Machina

While your ideas are definitely good, I can already see the madness caused by the mainstream media - "condones PC/console addiction", "rewards children (I know.. I know..) for going on a three day killing spree", etc., etc..

That's just what I thought of. They rip things out of context for a living (remember Mass Effect: The Sex Simulator?)

Plus, can you imagine the modern twitch gamer doing something for longer than 10 sec? Most dialog options in Oblivion were too long for my nephew (13), and he is part of the main audience. Today's gamers are consumers. They don't want 40 hours of gameplay and complex story arcs.

I don't blame developers/publishers for going where the money is. They are a business, after all.

Deus_Ex_Machina
20th Oct 2008, 03:07
@Deus_Ex_Machina

While your ideas are definitely good, I can already see the madness caused by the mainstream media - "condones PC/console addiction", "rewards children (I know.. I know..) for going on a three day killing spree", etc., etc..

That's just what I thought of. They rip things out of context for a living (remember Mass Effect: The Sex Simulator?)

Plus, can you imagine the modern twitch gamer doing something for longer than 10 sec? Most dialog options in Oblivion were too long for my nephew (13), and he is part of the main audience. Today's gamers are consumers. They don't want 40 hours of gameplay and complex story arcs.

I don't blame developers/publishers for going where the money is. They are sellouts, after all.

I fixed your post. :D

Larington
21st Oct 2008, 17:11
Common sense suggests that if a system is broken, people should fix it.

The sad truth is that most people are too busy complaining about how the system is broken to stop and do anything to fix it.

Jerion
21st Oct 2008, 17:41
Common sense suggests that if a system is broken, people should fix it.

The sad truth is that most people are too busy complaining about how the system is broken to stop and do anything to fix it.

Achievement Unlocked: Coming to a very sad truth about life.

AaronJ
21st Oct 2008, 17:45
Tentacle Porn
Kill a hooker with your tentacle aug.

dr_niz
8th Nov 2008, 05:09
No game made me want to compete every achievement more than Mass Effect. By rewarding me with more than just points, my appetite for achievements became insatiable. Moreover, Mass Effect forced players through multiple playthroughs in order to both earn and experience rewards.

Some possible examples:

Completing a high-number of headshot kills within a given time (entire game, first half of game, a certain level) earns +5% or +10% accuracy increase for all weapons during your current playthrough or from that point on using the same profile.

Taking very little or no damage within a given time earns a +5% or +10% damage resistance modification.

Using a particular augment a number of times within a given time adds effectiveness bonuses for said augment or allows it to consume less bioelectrical energy.

I think the concept of rewards in addition to points will fuel the addiction of completionists trying to "level up" to the max.

GmanPro
8th Nov 2008, 05:15
My favorite game for unlocking achievements is Portal. :thumbsup:

I still haven't gotten them all... frustrating! :D

Igoe
8th Nov 2008, 05:34
If they wanted to be slick they'd set up achievements that required multiple plays with different builds.

Accomplish the same objective 5 different ways

Kill X NPCs

DON'T kill X NPCs

Spend 2 hrs cloaked

Spend 2 Hrs reloading

yadda yadda, force people to try different ways of thinking, the true SPIRIT of Deus Ex.

To me Deus Ex is about playing the game for the 23rd time and STILL finding a new way to accomplish a task you'd never thought of before.

I see achievements as the PERFECT way to open up some minds.

zauxz
13th Nov 2008, 18:10
Desperate housewife - Try to speak to someone 25 times
Cacth! - throw an item to a friendly target
Retard - Jump 10 times in 15 secods
Piligrim - Visit every church in the game
Colector - Obtain every weapon in the game ( you dont have to keep them, just get it and throw away if you want)
Alcoholic - drink 100 beers/ 50 wines / 25 liquors
Ouch, my teeth! - eat 100 candy bars
Blind - bump into every npc in the game
Sign him up ! - Throw a baskedball into the basket ( just like in dx1)
What a shame - Kill a guy, then brag about it to his dauther
:)
I know, theese are really silly but still fun and possibly unexpected
-R

GmanPro
13th Nov 2008, 18:24
Spend two hours auto-regenerating your health.

:)

:(

Jerion
13th Nov 2008, 18:34
^^ :rolleyes:

oooo I got two more!

Pancake: Squish twelve NPCs by dropping things on their heads.

Iron Chef: Kill three NPCs with kitchenware in 5 seconds or less.

zauxz
13th Nov 2008, 18:40
bully - Beat 10 people up in hand to hand

GmanPro
13th Nov 2008, 20:11
exercise - put the game down and go outside for a couple of hours. :D

zauxz
14th Nov 2008, 11:47
exercise - put the game down and go outside for a couple of hours. :D

oooh! might be a hard one.

GmanPro
14th Nov 2008, 19:31
Might need a walkthrough for that one :D

jordan_a
14th Nov 2008, 20:05
Impossible. Once DX3 is out, I'm going to my cave only to leave when I look like this

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5200/95477675qh6.jpg

Tracer Tong
15th Nov 2008, 08:07
Tentacle Porn
Kill a hooker with your tentacle aug.

:lol:

What a shame - Kill a guy, then brag about it to his daughter

What a shame. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What about "A BOMB: Impersonate a mechanic and plant a bomb on a heli"

spm1138
15th Nov 2008, 08:30
There should be one for sneaking into every women's toilet in the game.

GmanPro
15th Nov 2008, 08:31
There should be one for sneaking into every women's toilet in the game.

I like how everyone on this forum remembers that from DX. :D

K^2
15th Nov 2008, 08:57
I like how everyone on this forum remembers that from DX. :D
I still see it as the all-time best example of player-action driven dialogue branching in gaming.

Edit: On the side note, if it wasn't branched. If your boss would always mention it in dialogue, regardless of actions taken, would anyone notice the difference?

Romeo
16th Nov 2008, 07:18
That would actually be a funny achievement, and those are always my favorite, along with snarky-titled achievements, such as the "Takes a Licking" achievement from Gears of War 2, for beating on 30 Tickers (Takes a licking and keeps on ticking, get it?).

Jerion
16th Nov 2008, 07:32
I still like my Pancake achievement. Think about throwing crushed cars off the roof of the 'Ton onto unsuspecting MJ12 troops. Eh? Eh? :D

zauxz
16th Nov 2008, 09:15
I still like my Pancake achievement. Think about throwing crushed cars off the roof of the 'Ton onto unsuspecting MJ12 troops. Eh? Eh? :D

:lol: that would be multi pancake :D

but throwing a car requiers a lot of strenght. I think only Bio-Tentacles are capable of doing that :D

GmanPro
16th Nov 2008, 18:54
I like the HL2: Episode 2 achievement - Launch a garden gnome into space.

Hardest achievement ever. Especially once you get the car. Its so hard to keep the gnome from falling out!!!

Jerion
17th Nov 2008, 17:55

Hardest achievement ever. Especially once you get the car. Its so hard to keep the gnome from falling out!!!

A garden gnome? Try doing it with a greasel! :whistle:

Tracer Tong
17th Nov 2008, 21:05

Yeah, tell me about it..

I did find a sweet spot between the seats, though you had to drive in a straight line...

dixieflatline
17th Nov 2008, 21:30
Call me a freak, but I just don't 'get' achievements. Maybe because admittedly I don't play consoles much anymore, so I haven't been exposed to them all that much.

But personally , I couldn't care less if they are in the game or not.

GmanPro
17th Nov 2008, 22:17
Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't really like achievements either. IMO it was more fun for me when I discovered something for myself when I was playing classic games. It takes the fun out of it when the game tells you that there are "kewl" things you can do. I'd rather just discover them myself when I'm messing around after having already beaten the game.

Yerky
18th Nov 2008, 19:38
The gift that keeps on giving: Contract herpes and give it to someone else.
Unmanned vehicle: Complete all of a level's objectives while controlling a bot.
Mother Teresa: Complete the game without killing anyone.
Drop a couple stacks: Complete the game with a billion dollars in your pocket.
Homicidal tendencies: Kill everyone in the game.
Pseudologia fantastica: Lie every chance you get.
Obsessive compulsive: Complete every other achievement.

Jerion
18th Nov 2008, 21:21
^^ You forgot:

Aggressive Negotiations:

Threaten everyone you come across with a lightsaber/sword.

Romeo
19th Nov 2008, 01:08
Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't really like achievements either. IMO it was more fun for me when I discovered something for myself when I was playing classic games. It takes the fun out of it when the game tells you that there are "kewl" things you can do. I'd rather just discover them myself when I'm messing around after having already beaten the game.
Generally, the achievements tell you nothing. If it's doing something secretive, it's usually a "secret" achievement, meaning you have no idea what it is until you unlock, or be a cheater and look on the interwebz for it. And achievements are just there to give a rough estimate on how much random things you've done. If you don't care about them, they don't interfere with your game in the slightest. But for some strange reason they are so fun to get.

The gift that keeps on giving: Contract herpes and give it to someone else.
Unmanned vehicle: Complete all of a level's objectives while controlling a bot.
Mother Teresa: Complete the game without killing anyone.
Drop a couple stacks: Complete the game with a billion dollars in your pocket.
Homicidal tendencies: Kill everyone in the game.
Pseudologia fantastica: Lie every chance you get.
Obsessive compulsive: Complete every other achievement.
Contract Herpes and give it to someone else? ESRB would NEVER allow the game to ship. lol

^^ You forgot:

Aggressive Negotiations:

Threaten everyone you come across with a lightsaber/sword.
There's one like that from Mass Effect. It's a fun one. lol

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 01:14
How about:

Death wish - Smoke 5 packs of cigarettes in a row.

free2game
19th Nov 2008, 10:46
I think someone made a really good point about aug naming before. They should all have very mechanical names. Also, is the achievements stuff planned for support across all platforms? IE GFWL Achievements and Trophies on the PS3.

Bloodwolf806
19th Nov 2008, 18:13
There's no need to even say "if". Eidos may have not confirmed it, but I am 98.79846% sure it will appear on Xbox 360, 93.47546% on PS3.

I like the pacifism idea. Also, I'm sure some "upgrade all weapons to certain extent blah blah* would be in there.

How about achievements based on characters, like one for running into little 8-year-old Paul Denton?

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 18:21
Honestly I don't want any achievements in the game. Fallout 3 didn't have any, at least my PC version didn't.

free2game
19th Nov 2008, 18:31
Honestly I don't want any achievements in the game. Fallout 3 didn't have any, at least my PC version didn't.Uh, my copy does :]

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 18:37
Well, mine doesn't :thumbsup:

free2game
21st Nov 2008, 01:28
Maybe you should actually buy the game and not used a pirated one then.

GmanPro
21st Nov 2008, 01:30
R u serious?

I DID pay for one, and its a PC version. And it doesn't have any achievements.

Yargo
21st Nov 2008, 01:47
R u serious?

I DID pay for one, and its a PC version. And it doesn't have any achievements.

It does if you sign into live. But your current save won't be accessible while your logged in.

GmanPro
21st Nov 2008, 01:51
Very much so a console feature. Why would I want to sign into live on my pc?

Achievements r dumb. Just a way to get the players to keep playing. I'd rather just make a new character, instead of trying to do everything there is to do with one character. In fact I purposely left some quests alone during my first play-through so I wouldn't be totally bored with redoing the same quests the "evil" way.

Jerion
21st Nov 2008, 01:53
Windows Live for games = fail. :rasp:

Yargo
21st Nov 2008, 02:11
Windows Live for games = fail. :rasp:

Yes very much so, but if they play their cards right and make it support cross platform PLAY! (Like Shadowrun) they could do some awesomeness. But the problem is always money and no doubt they will sooner charge PC's than drop charges for Xbox :(

GmanPro
21st Nov 2008, 05:13
PC gamerz would totally destroy console gamerz. :D

Romeo
21st Nov 2008, 05:37
I think someone made a really good point about aug naming before. They should all have very mechanical names. Also, is the achievements stuff planned for support across all platforms? IE GFWL Achievements and Trophies on the PS3.
I had asked about Windows achievements a long while ago, and Rene didn't happen to know off-hand, but I think they might, as achievements are mandatory on the 360 and encouraged on the PS3.

Necros
6th Dec 2008, 12:04
An example to show how statistics should be done:

http://img207.imagevenue.com/loc96/th_64860_FarCry2_2008_11_24_07_01_03_19_122_96lo.jpg (http://img207.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64860_FarCry2_2008_11_24_07_01_03_19_122_96lo.jpg)

Of course in DX3 it should be more detailed and it should keep track of your social interactions/status too (since it's gonna be an important part of the game).