PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else...?

FutureKing
15th Jun 2008, 07:24
Anyone else try to get your friends into Deus Ex, but they were too much of a console gamer that they refuse to try any games unless they had amazing graphics and explosions every 10 seconds? This pisses me off since I want to shout from the rooftops how much of a great game Deus Ex!! :mad2:

Tracer Tong
15th Jun 2008, 08:29
Sure. It's too late to try now though, the graphics are too outdated for them.

J.CDenton
15th Jun 2008, 09:05
Yeah, we should teach them the values of "retro" gaming.

AaronJ
15th Jun 2008, 11:31
Yes. Many many times.

gamer0004
15th Jun 2008, 11:34
Yes.

Demiurge
15th Jun 2008, 12:52
Yes, painfully one of them said they tried the first level and then "Got Bored" I was insulted, but I suppose its' uniqueness was what made the original special.

Tsumaru
15th Jun 2008, 14:16
The few levels aren't exactly the most exciting ones around, but obviously it's just a setup for the rest of the story. You also get a taste of how your actions have consequences (get paid more/less, how people talk when back at base). I've recently been trying to get a friend to play it, but he doesn't seem too enthusiastic. I'm not sure why not. He's not a huge console gamer, and I thought he wouldn't be against retro style playing. He just won't install it and give it a shot though, no matter how much I rant and rave about how awesome it is. =(

Fen
15th Jun 2008, 18:17
Its the curse of the modern day gamer, and the reason why we see soo much crap being released these days. The new generation of console gamers seem to not care about storyline and immersion, all they seem to care about is how big, pretty and when the next explosion will be.

Tracer Tong
15th Jun 2008, 21:55
The question is how did WE get into the game (immersed) like we did? My first time, IIRC, was through the tutorial. The thing that really got me is that hidden openable block in the wall.

What about you?

By the way: Welcome to the forum FutureKing!

Demiurge
15th Jun 2008, 22:12
Ooooh waaay back I played the Laguardia Airfield mission at a friend's house and was instantly hooked, we then had a competition as to who could complete the game first, it took us a month first time (some days we didn't play at all because of schoolwork, now I can complete it in a night). We were both fascinated by the story, characters/different possibilities (I ran like a chicken and Paul died first time) realising the different possibilities, such as saving Jock etc and of course the awesome weapons and augmentations (I refuse to call them biomods, it sounds dumbed down). We were basically faced with a huge, unexplored game where anything could happen and that really appealed to me. IW was a dissapointment and I agree it was a good game, it was simply an unworthy sequel. I remain optimistic for Number 3.