PDA

View Full Version : worship(ed) the original - never played the invisible war. do it now or not?

exxon_valdez
13th Jun 2008, 16:56
I'm a massive fan, that's all I can honestly say. I played Deus Ex a year
or so after it was released (at the time of the release, my pc was too
weak to run it). so, played it, loved it, played it hard, realistic, played
with each of the bodies (default, Negro, albino...), all the endings, upside
down and sideways, in ways you don't even want to know.

a couple of years went by. never played anything in the mean time. and
then I did the whole thing again. and enjoyed it too. since then, never
played another game. In fact, i don't play computer games, period.
except Deus Ex.

er, got a hold of the invisible war at one point, installed it, began playing...
i don't quite remember the exact thing that did it, but at one point I
got tremendously pissed off and disappointed, and immediately quit the
game and uninstalled it.

never had a crack at it since. SO, do I do it or not - do I bite the bullet
and play the not_so_good incarnation of divinity, or is it ok if i pass?

thanks.

Jaxer
13th Jun 2008, 19:54
I feel just like you; I also worshiped the original, i beaten it 4 times, and saved every character, to see their fate. Tried every different story branch and have 100% completed the game.

Then 1 day my friend got IW we played it and it was good, but NOTHING compared to the original.

It depends on you. If you want to play a good game Play IW.

However if you want to play a superb game play DX1

gamer0004
13th Jun 2008, 20:11
If you really are a big fan of DX, then you should definatly play DX:IW. Yes, it's not nearly as good as DX, but you should play it, to know what happened, to know why DX is so good.
But: after you've beaten it once, wait a couple of months and do it again. You'll appreciate the game much better the second time.
Oh, and don't try to use the stealthy/non-lethal kind of way, because then the game sucks. Just play it as a DX shooter.

jordan_a
13th Jun 2008, 20:17
Don't forget John P's texture pack, it's a must.

Kneo24
13th Jun 2008, 22:02
IW is fine if you go in with the mindset that it's a dumbed down game.

Kentikki
13th Jun 2008, 22:43
Invisible War is a good game, just not as good as Deus Ex. If you don't play it you'll be missing out on the next part of the story!

exxon_valdez
14th Jun 2008, 01:51
well, as soon as I can manage, I'll give it a try.
thanks

exxon_valdez
14th Jun 2008, 02:00
Oh, and don't try to use the stealthy/non-lethal kind of way, because then the game sucks. Just play it as a DX shooter.

btw, non-lethal is definitely not my style. stealthy is though.
I'm the kind of guy who will not rest until everything with a red
crosshairs on it is calmly and systematically exterminated or
disabled. preferably exterminated.

my god... I'm some kind of nazi! :eek: :D

minus0ne
14th Jun 2008, 03:21
If you keep your expectations in check you can enjoy this game, even if the stealth mechanics are somewhat broken (though IMO it still pays to be stealthy). It's got some interesting bits which are sadly underplayed, but at the very least the story should keep you hooked, even if it's presented at an odd pace.

AaronJ
14th Jun 2008, 03:30
Yes, play it.

gamer0004
14th Jun 2008, 09:54
Don't forget John P's texture pack, it's a must.

Naah. Don't agree. I really don't like the way the high-res characters look like. Koif's pack is better. However, the (environment) textures are great.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jun 2008, 10:51
Yes, you should play IW.
As already said by other members, it isn't as good as the original.
BUT... it does have its moments and I ended up playing the game twice over a period of time, so its not THAT bad. ;)

GioChrono
14th Jun 2008, 15:27
I enjoyed IW to be honest. There was an initial shock of 'hang on, don't I actually have to remember the codes for doors etc, no the game remembers for you' which take away a little of the involvement for me. along with being able to take notes and looking through them for codes you found earlier etc.
And of course the universal ammo. But once I got passed that, I just accepted it and enjoyed the game. The only probs with it were when the physics messed up and a dead character would get his foot stuck in the floor and endlessly thrash around making a racket, but it was amusing and even Crysis suffers from this from time to time (although again with amusing results).
Invisible War is still a good game IMO and it only comes off badly when compared to the original, which could be said of any game when compared with DX1.

Cheer

Gio

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee235/Giochrono/Talos_anim_Banner.gif (http://www.thetalosproject.com)

jd10013
16th Jun 2008, 20:48
IW is not a bad game. IMO, it only had two major flaws. first, It was trying to exceed one of the best games ever made. The bar was set incredibly high before the team even started on it. And second, it was ported to console. I don't think thats necessarily bad in and of itself, but back then consoles were much more limited than whats out today.

But on its own, IW is a good game. If another developer had released it under a different name it probably would have been much better received.

Tsumaru
17th Jun 2008, 00:45
The only probs with it were when the physics messed up and a dead character would get his foot stuck in the floor and endlessly thrash around making a racket, but it was amusing and even Crysis suffers from this from time to time (although again with amusing results).
I was playing Crysis again yesterday. I was on the final level going through the ship. I hear shooting and run off to save the day. I turn around a corner into a corridor and see a lone gun on a table firing endlessly at nothing. o_O

Anyway, I'm with everyone else. Play it. It's really not *that* bad. Sure, it has a lot of irritating parts (loading screens, anyone?), but there are certainly worse games out there. You might as well play it just to see what everyone is biatching about, and see how the story turns out. And you never know - we might just get that sequel! *shakes fist at all the prequel-fanboys*

DXeXodus
17th Jun 2008, 04:19
Invisible War is a game that really needs to be played two to three times in order to be appreciated. It also needs to be played with very low expectations of it being a good 'DX' game.

rhalibus
17th Jun 2008, 08:16
If you play it:

Get the hi-def texture pack
Edit the initialization file to:

Give the weapons more realistic damage, including effective head shots
Reduce the console-sized fonts
Expand the hud beyond the TV "safe area" designed for Xbox

Lower your expectations--DX:IW is more "choose your own adventure" than "play any style"

One of the main problems of DX:IW (okay, one of many) was that its fully dynamic shadow mapping was too processor-heavy for a box from 2003. Today, however, a standard box should run it very smoothly, even with the texture upgrade.

It's actually not a bad game--I played through it twice and bumping up the damage factor to a one-shot "kill or be killed" made sneaking a lot more consequential...

gamer0004
17th Jun 2008, 10:50
About the texture pack: I recommend Koif's texture pack: http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx?%2fplanetdeusex%2fdx2%2fmods%2ftextures%2fdx2_texturepack.exe
Although John P's pack has some extremely awesome textures, many things are just so stupid that you could better play the game without any texture pack. Flame barrels look like they're made out of the finsest steel instead of, well, barrels, body armor looks like plastic and the Omar suit has changed from "ugly, scary, but very effective" (as it should be accoring to the game) to a "good looking" (as it doesn't really look that good) decorated-with-gold... thing.
BTW, looks like his site doesn't work anymore...