PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex 3 - Hate Mail Analysis

AaronJ
13th Jun 2008, 13:05
Was going to make this a new video, "Deus Ex 3 - Hate Mail Analysis", but I'd rather just post it here instead.

Hey loser. So If I'm not excited about dx3 I'm a moron? How about if you ARE excited, you're a FANBOI. As a long-time gamer and industry analyst, I think it's safe to point out that of the two of us, you're much more safely tucked away in the camp of 'moron' if you think - after all the cash-in disappointment sequels we constantly see come out of the insdustry nowadays - that this game will be anything NEAR as good as IW; LET ALONE the original.

Sure it was only one comment and it wasn't real mail but OH WELL, I think it will be fun all the same.

This particular GEM comes from a UK-boy who calls himself: Subnet Mask. While I don't have a clue what the hell that means I still think his channel holds some value with his V for Vendetta avatar. Good work.

But I'm not planning on ripping his channel to pieces (OR AM I, MR. CLAY SWORD FIGHTS), I'm really here to analyze his comment he wrote on my first analysis, which I was alerted to after 2 hours of it being there, which I deleted it, copied and pasted it into Notepad, and blocked him. This is usually my reaction to all aggressive haters because if you don't like my video, you can rate it down. But you can't can you! Well the simple answer to that issue is to GET OFF OF MY CHANNEL AND NEVER COME BACK. E-mail me some actual hate mail next time.

Okay, so the message starts off with him declaring me a loser right off of the bat. While that isn't very pretty, it caught my eye long enough for me to read the rest rather than delete it right off the bat like I do with all of those ITS A SKULL comments. You should read whatever says READ THIS you morons. Speaking of morons, yes, I did claim at the end of my first analysis that if you're not excited for DX3 then you're a moron, and because this is ABSOLUTELY 100% TRUE AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT, some people took offense to that and don't like me anymore. So back to the message. The next sentence reads "So if I'm not excited about d-i-c-k-s three I'm a moron." The first fault in this sentence is that you spelled DX3 "d-i-c-k-s three". You CAPITALIZE such importance. God knows if a guy that plays with clay on his YouTube page deserves the respect of a capital "I", then something as utterly amazing as the initials D X surely should be, because DEUS EX is BETTER than YOU. Then he says, "How about if you ARRRRRRE exicted, you're a fan BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. To that I say one thing: God damn right I am a fan boy.

He then goes on to touch on his importance a bit. As a LONG-TIME GAMER and INDUSTRY ANALYST- wait, industry analyst? CONGRATULATIONS SUB NET MASK, you just gave me the perfect idea of what kind of Interget-gaming-I-want-to-be-involved person you are! You're a frantic GEEEEEEEEEEARRRRRRS OF WARRRRRRRRRRRR player sipping his mocha kappa frappuchino his mum made him while reading up a bit on the success of games like Resistance fall of man and Battlefield 2142. But of course, now that you have the slightest idea of how much one of these has sold then that makes you an INDUSTRY ANALYST. Good job, you've earned your *** badge. Go pin it up in your swingin' pad in CokeMusic and go read through some more of the GameSpot news archives.

So then he decides to compare his amazing intelligence with my fanBOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII=ism, to claim that I'm: "more safely tucked away in 'THE CAMP OF MORON' if I think DX3 will be great. THE CAMP OF MORON?????? Congratulations sub net mask, you're FIVE. Which goes well with your playing with clay habits.

So, while you continue to analyze the gaming industry with that keen eye of yours, I'll be wearing my GOD DAMN AMAZING DX3 t-shirt, with my DX3 cellphone, my DX3 iPod, my DX3 desktop background, and my DX3 pajamas(?). But I still wish you well, Sub net mask, and hope you enjoy whatever flow-chart-on-EA's-international-sales shirt you have, along with your line-graph-on-Turok's-success pajamas.

GruntOwner
13th Jun 2008, 14:09
Hey loser (Well done, you are adept at the art of petty mudslinging, your mother must be so proud). So If I'm not excited about dx3 I'm a moron? (The ability to use a rhetorics will do nothing to assert your intellectual dominance after that hopeless farce of an opening) How about if you ARE excited, you're a FANBOI (You know, it's times like now I sympathise with your father). As a long-time (Long time eh? then act your age, not your RAM) gamer (If that were accurate you would appreciate DX and show a level of hope, not jump to conclusions before you even know the setting) and industry analyst (OK, so this bit made me laugh, in the pro choice kinda way, see the previous comment and add to it that, put bluntly, the answer is no), I think it's safe (Wonderful word that, and you're a shining example as to why it is relevant in sex) to point out that of the two of us, you're much more safely tucked away in the camp of 'moron' (So the camp of moron you speak of, is it a proper noun? Or are you just doing that mudslinging thing again? Like a monkey with a new crap all to itself) if you think (That, for god's sake man why does no one use "that" when they're meant to anymore) - after all the cash-in disappointment sequels (what? all one of them?) we constantly see come out of the insdustry nowadays (Ah, so when you said insustry anylist you meant Eidos Montreal, the only other option being that you're making a completely unjustified generalisation) - that this game will be anything NEAR as good as IW (OK, for that, you're going to hell); (A colon? I may have to revise my grammar if that's the correct application, not preceeding a conclusion per se) LET ALONE the original.(Well you see there's this wonderful thing called a fan community telling them what the unbiased target market like and dislike. No, before you ask that is not the same thing as your mum joining you band's fanclub on bebo.)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. People are often idiots, the only thing you can do most of the time is feel smug that you're not them.

Tsumaru
13th Jun 2008, 14:55
I am so glad to be a part of the internet. If it weren't for the web, I wouldn't be able to get connected with long-time industry analysts. Will SubnetMask, through his many years of experience, be able to help me find a job within the industry? I assume that he knows people in high-up places. Only the most apt analysts are able to spot a "FANBOI" with such precision and ensure that they are marked as a "loser" and "moron" without making themself look like a fifteen year old in the process. I must receive training from Master Mask!

As a side point though, I don't know that it's moronic not to be excited by DX3. But I wouldn't say it's moronic to be excited either. I'm kind of tentatively cautious somewhere around the middle. I was excited at first to hear of DX3. But there's not a whole lot of sustained enthusiasm due to the fact we just don't *have* anything yet (other than a very uninspiring teaser and some pretty meaningless concept art) and what we do know is that neither Warren Spector nor Harvey Smith are a part of it. Personally though I think the whole debate of who is more moronic is, in itself, rather moronic. Although it's pretty safe to say that SubnetMask made a fair ass of himself with his little message.

AaronJ
13th Jun 2008, 16:41
My Fellow Fanboiiiiiiis Got Ma Back.

gamer0004
13th Jun 2008, 16:46
Lol. I totally agree with you GlobalNode

But it is going toe be a prequel

:nut:

Tracer Tong
13th Jun 2008, 20:00
subnet mask is the IP-based AND mask which tells your windows pc what is the addresses' range in your inner network... The hatemailer probably took it from ipconfig in the windows command prompt.. :nut: I am 90% sure he doesn't know what it means either....

Networking course ftw (damn test's hard though :mad2: )

minus0ne
13th Jun 2008, 20:43
LMAO DX is apparently a hotly contested topic :lol: All I've received so far is a question by someone asking if he should play DX1, and how it compared to IW (of course I replied saying it's about a billion gazillion times better).

"Industry analyst" my ass, probably some frustrated teen with an axe to grind.

jcp28
13th Jun 2008, 21:34
That guy is just an idiot, plain and simple. He has absolutely no clue how it's going to turn out, and he decided to spout off his pointless tripe. Sure, go ahead, and erode your "industry analyst" status, because it's obvious what a poor one you are anyway.

It's not like I want to get very excited about DX3 just yet, but that could change once a few more details about the game come out.

Kneo24
13th Jun 2008, 22:01
You can hate on the content of what Subnet Mask has to say all you want, but he does bring up a valid point.

Sequels to games often aren't nearly as good as they should be. Even the stuff that's more hyped can bomb big time.

As a person who's an industry analyst, they probably have more data at their hands on this type of stuff than we do. It's just an educated guess based off of statistics.

You guys need to calm down.

rhalibus
13th Jun 2008, 23:45
With respect to just about everyone here and GlobalNode's extensive retort, I'm more in the camp of just ignoring any flaming, and simply discouraging it without comment when it's directed at me or anyone else. The most intelligent analytical discussions on this board have always been during an extended absence of flaming or even response to flaming.

And may I add that DUES EX P0wnz U l4m3rz!!!!! W00t!!

Oh, and GlobalNode, you haven't even commented on my cool lockpicking idea with included sample screenshot ("DX 3 interactivity (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=75441&page=2)")! Now that hurts more than any flame I can imagine...

:)

AaronJ
14th Jun 2008, 02:17
Lol. I totally agree with you GlobalNode

But it is going toe be a prequel

:nut:

Then I will leave.

Tsumaru
14th Jun 2008, 03:09
As a person who's an industry analyst, they probably have more data at their hands on this type of stuff than we do. It's just an educated guess based off of statistics.

LOL.

minus0ne
14th Jun 2008, 03:15
You can hate on the content of what Subnet Mask has to say all you want, but he does bring up a valid point.

Sequels to games often aren't nearly as good as they should be. Even the stuff that's more hyped can bomb big time.
His point is negated by the fact he goes around PM/emailing people and calling them losers just because his views differ.

You guys need to calm down.
I *seriously* doubt he was telling the truth, and I'd need a couple dozen extra fingers to count the times I've seen trolls of the "i cent spell so i wiel SHOUT IN CAPS"-variety claiming to be industry analysts to somehow make up for their lack of poignancy and cohesion.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic until we hear more about the game, and I'm reasonably sure any sane analyst would do the same.

pHdeus
14th Jun 2008, 22:36
I do not know if this is the case here, but jargon of forums has the distinction TROLL. It is my understanding that a Troll is someone who makes a post that is designed to provoke a large number of strong responses. It is as disruptive and as provocative as possible. It is purely to manipulate people into responding.

Kneo24
14th Jun 2008, 22:50
His point is negated by the fact he goes around PM/emailing people and calling them losers just because his views differ.

Ad-homs don't negate a point. All they do is cast the person using them in a negative light.

I *seriously* doubt he was telling the truth, and I'd need a couple dozen extra fingers to count the times I've seen trolls of the "i cent spell so i wiel SHOUT IN CAPS"-variety claiming to be industry analysts to somehow make up for their lack of poignancy and cohesion.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic until we hear more about the game, and I'm reasonably sure any sane analyst would do the same.

It very well could be the case that he's not. However, a lot of industry analysts are just as faceless an anonymous as the rest of us.

Larington
15th Jun 2008, 07:12
I'd argue that when sequels go bad <TM>, its usually because of external pressures, such as say, an impatient exec who needs to fill that gap in the portfolio or whatever and is more interested in that portfolio than in making honestly good games. I don't have a full understand of what led to the frankly embarassing simplifications of IW, but I do know it suffered from scope changes right through its development, and when the original was released that apparently had a bunch of professional developers talking to Warren about how they'd do this that and the other different, the mistake was listening to that.

Anyway, I am always very cautious of trusting the views of established industry experts, if we'd followed their reasonings a few years back, the micro-computer industry (Now known as PCs) would never have happened.

Like in games development the challenge of making games isn't getting the ideas, its about making them work. Industry experts can sometimes be in the danger of becoming too set in their ways and write off things which can be made to happen (Or just finding the right 'break' such as spreadsheet programs on early PCs) and create a whole new industry, or alternatively sub-genre of game in the process.

I'm sure there are people who said theres no chance the theif games could ever have worked - "Who would want to play a character who isn't really able to fight back" they'd say - and yet, rumours have emerged that a FOURTH Theif is at the conceptual stage of development.

J.CDenton
15th Jun 2008, 09:08
Yeah I see the guy sitting in his chair, arm crossed, proud face, thinking "yay I've been a gamer analyst for long I just plain rock you ass man! I know better how games are played than you just do!".

He just wanted to show himself a bit and make the peoples speak about him. Well he succeded for that but next time you see the guy, just grab the gun and give the "moron analyst" a good shoot.

Tsumaru
15th Jun 2008, 14:18
I'm surprised at how many of you actually think he is who he claims to be. I assume he's just another one of those stupid little kids we find all over the internet who has tried to throw some kind of authoritarian spin on his trolling so as to look like there is some small measure of validity behind his nonsense.

AaronJ
15th Jun 2008, 14:40
I'm surprised at how many of you actually think he is who he claims to be.

By that you mean one, right?

Tsumaru
16th Jun 2008, 00:27
I count at least four people who seemed to believe it; or at the very least not made it obvious that they disbelieve it.

Tracer Tong
18th Jun 2008, 10:53
Industry analyst... What a lousy job :nut:

iWait
18th Jun 2008, 11:19
I assume that he knows people in high-up places

He doesn't but his mommy does :lol:

Seriously though your mom's in a corner crying 'cause I just gave her "Teh Hurpees Monster."

Subnet Mask, this thread just raped your e-azz with its collective e-pwenis.